Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oo, your mood was apparent when you walked into the pub and got yourself 2 pints to get going with!! Im surprised you remember any of Sunday if the day continued at that pace!!

Solid set of mile times, G dawg. 

So races, i have my local 10k in 12 days. It's very hilly and just a bit of local fun really with a prospect of a v40 prize. I am eyeing the Beeston 5 miler on Wednesday 23rd May then Welsh castles leg 19 on 8th June. My 5 mile pb is in need of attention but they are hard to come by so need to travel for a flat one. 

SBD, he has previous form with this forum. He coaches Stevie also. 

• Great reports chaps! I'm with OO in that I can never remember all that much. I do remember DT19 going past me looking rather chipper though. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    " I normally have Poacher to tease in the pub so I had to find an alternative in his absence 😜"

It's often hard to put a name to a face when you meet people off a forum like this. For many years I thought the weird bloke who took the p*** in Chandos was some drunk geordie non-runner who had wandered in off the street. Turns out it was OO all along! Well I never.  ;)

Good effort DT and an excellent report. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    For next races, I have my first ultra next week. making my big distance debut at the Dulux Revolution Trails, a 32 mile event along the Thames. Going with 2 mates who are UTMB veterans. They'll show me the ropes on slow running. It's a prep for the Race To the Stones 62 miler in July. It will be slow too as my legs will not have recovered from Sunday...

Inbetween ultras I'll have a pop at 10k and 5k (parkrun) PBs.

Razor blades in my throat this morning and a runny nose. In full-on cold mode. Booooo!!  :/
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Loved reading your reports GD and DT. Always interesting to read what you did differently to try and gain those precious few seconds or minutes! Time to start pondering about the next one...
    Poacher - hope you can salvage the walking holiday and trip to Sweden.
    6 mile progressive this morning. I've been pleased with the paces I've been hitting in recent interval sessions, but today was a bit disappointing. 8:39, 7:30, 7:13, 6:51, 6:38 and 6:15. The last mile felt like serious hard work and it's round about the pace I'm hoping for on Sunday. Should be a different kettle of fish on the day, I hope. Time to ease off now.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

G-Dawg - That's a quick turnaround! Hope it goes well

Gul - I wouldn't worry about one bad session, I'm sure it will all come good Sunday!

Did my 6 x mile yesterday off 60s recovery and it was probably one of the best sessions I've ever done. Felt really in control and always felt like I could go faster. First three at HMP then progressed from there: 6.12, 6.14, 6.14, 6.05, 6.02, 5.56.

Forgot it was the club awards dinner tonight so will have to cut my recovery run slightly short. Should still manage 4-5 miles

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice session, Stevie.

Gul, I wouldn't worry too much about 1 session. Running 1 mile at 10kp should seem like something that you couldn't imagine doing for 6 miles.

Third day running I have bought my kit in but I still don't feel like it. Out for beers and footy tonight.

G-dawg, my throat is burning today though I think it is hayfever. I'm not sure I would fancy that in 10 days time!

Just been looking on the net at charity places for Berlin as if I don't make the ballot for 2020 then it's an option. I was pleased to see the going rate is £750-1k for major charities. I could probably get my employer to cover most of that. Demonstrates quite how much London must charge them for their places.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I swam yesterday and did a short 3 mile leg stretcher. I'll to go a bit further this evening, testing the legs before the Keswick 1/2 M this weekend. All feels good so far....
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Question for DT/G-D/OO/Speedy - what happened to the wind on Sunday?  Was this a factor at all?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It was pretty wind on Greenwich common before the start but then we were on an open common. Frankly I don't recall any moments during the race where I thought this is a pain. In fact most comments about it being breezy came from spectators.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It was a bit breezy but nothing to complain about for me.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Interesting - the forecast was predicting a strong headwind which I thought would slow you all down.  Did it never feel like you were running in to the wind and some shelter/drafting would be beneficial?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

There may have been the odd moment but I don't specifically recall looking for big people to draft behind. I certainly didn't walk away giving myself an extra shoulder pat for battling the elements and coming out on top.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    SBD - I was initially a little concerned when our coach dropped us off on Blackheath and it was blowing quite strong. However, I said to a mate that we were very exposed up there but once we dropped down into Charlton and beyond, we'd be OK.

During the race I noticed that the wind came up a little but it had a cooling effect rather than being an obstacle. So yeah, no complaints at all about the wind, it didn't hinder at all and didn't blow us along, just cooled us off occasionally.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    G-dawg, that is right. I had forgotten about the cooling nature of the wind. Everytime I wasn't in it I suddenly felt too warm so if anything it was a nice kind wind.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Just hope it's like that next year when I go sub-3!  :p
  • I noticed the wind going over Tower Bridge, and a couple of times we turned a corner and I could feel it, but it wasn't a problem. It's sheltered in London and there were plenty of other bodies in the way. Watching back the highlights the wheelchair racers found it difficult, but they're mostly on their own into it, and travelling more quickly.

• G-Dawg, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that running 32 miles, no matter how slowly, on tired legs and with a cold is not going to do your recovery much good. Don't write off the next six weeks for the sake of a training run!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cheers Speedy. Fear not, it will be a jogging hike rather than a run. More to do with getting my head around moving forward slowly and eating during such events in prep for Race To The Stones.

I know from the Thames Meander marathon in November when four weeks after Chicago we agreed to do take it easy and do it in 3.30, we did 3.35 and the final 7 miles were tougher than they should have been at that pace.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - cracking mile reps.
    DT - didn't used to feel that hard previously, but I had a softer target then!
    Moderate breeze forecast on Sunday c.13mph which should be okay but hope it doesn't get any worse.
    5 mile recovery run this morning, but still had to get up fairly early to let the polling station crew into the Church to set up for the local elections today.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    OK I say this every year but...

Happy birthday thread!  This long rambling conversation started on 2.5.06 as a place for folks targetting sub-3.15 at VLM 2007.  In 2010 it morphed, Dr Who-style, into this more general sub-3.15 discussion. I think the longest standing contributor is probably Joolska.  But dozens and dozens have come and gone over the years with tales of success and failure, plus huge amounts of support for fellow runners. Well done you lot.

GD that ultra-ette is a nice sighter for the much tougher RTTS. You could easily knock out 32 by jogging at MP + 30-60sec/mile.  But worth experimenting with the key factors needed to run 100k off road: shoe choice, backpack/bumbag choice, hydration strategy, walking strategy, sun protection strategy, and which solid foods work for you.  Are you doing it in one day or two?  RTTS does look like terrific fun.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Happy thread b'day!

The standard on this thread is very strong. It seems most of the current contributors have run sub 3 at some time or very close.

I may have a run finally later today, though I over indulged last night on the booze and not feeling great.

I didn't realise there was a finish line I player cam for sunday until a friend told me yesterday. Caught mine last night, quite pleased with how I finished. 

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Happy birthday thread!

Went to my clubs award night last night, had Holly Rush as the speaker so was really interesting to hear about her career and ultra experiences! She is a machine, did Barcelona, Manchester, Paris and London in the space of 7 weeks with 3 of those under 2.50!

Also interesting chatting to club mates about training paces. Most of them were quite shocked that I run my easy and long runs at 8mm+ where as they would run at 7.15-7.30. They are all quicker over shorter distances then me but my marathon PB is better. I guess it shows there are lots of different ways to train!

Managed to get 4m recovery in at 8.20/132BPM. Aerobically I am feeling in probably the best shape I have ever been, cant wait to hopefully apply this to races.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yup, think I've been posting since 2007... 5 miles with strides this morning. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good effort Stevie.

This thread really does feel like a log of a running/plodding career. I must gave been training for mara no. 6 when it started.  If the leg ever mends it will be time to train for no.92.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    DT - "over indulged last night on the booze and not feeling great". . . .    hm , we seem to share more than just running as a "hobby"  ;)    

yes, been here a while - my final sub-3 was 2002. 
    16 consecutive ones between 1988 & 2002, from 2:59 down to 2:46 and back to 2:57, before 3:07 in 2004 was the first major sign of decline.  I think it was around 2010 I came on here, having slipped beyond 3:15, and wanting to dip under again.  

Even though its 4 years since my last marathon, I still hang around, as I (to paraphrase Kevin Keegan) love it, just love it  , when I see folks striving and meeting their goals

keep on keeping on  . . . .   
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    X-post DT, I took the whole week off running after Manchester really felt it helped with recovery. Just went for a couple of swims. 

Stick around Birch! Plus you've got that club record to break  ;)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Stevie - I hear ya on the different approaches. All of my LSRs were over 8 mins avg and I only average 43 miles per week in campaign due to work/life etc.

Bang-on Poacher! The testing of equipment, nutrition and how running slow feels is exactly what I'm doing at the Dulux Revolution Trails. I'll be better prepared going into the RTTS as a result.

In 2006 I did my first ever properly trained for marathon in London. 4 hours was the goal but the real target was 3.45, so I hung out on that thread. I hit the wall for the first and only time that year. I was a total mess, I got everything wrong. It was a horrific case of wheels properly falling. Somehow I stumbled to a 3.47.
    It was the best thing to happen to me. I learned so much from that day and have tweaked my way down to 3.01 over the years. Having my hip re-shaped also helped.

You guys on a sub-3.15 thread back then were from another planet to me, never thought I could be in the same company.

Great recovery work DT. I've had beers every night this week and have a proper hit it hard session with chums that were in the marathon tomorrow night. Back to being more disciplined after the bank holiday.

Might run again on Sunday when the thigh pain has completely gone along with this head cold.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I laid off the booze Monday and Tuesday as I just felt a bit wiped out and like I would benefit from a couple of good sleeps. Likewise, Saturday I have a full day out drinking in Birmingham planned from midday. Monday, our local club are in the play off final, having won the semi last night so there may well be beers. Then I need to start picking things up.

I think I will have a short run later today as quads feel much better.

I properly walled in my first London in 2014, though somehow crawled in in 3.18, which isn't a time that causes me any shame at all. I look back then and realise just how clueless I was in so many areas compared to now. Experience is such a big part in running a good marathon.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yes, happy birthday thread! I'm glad when I posted the below in Nov 2009 I didn't know it would take me 9 1/2 years to do what it says on the tin ;)
    Gul Darr said:

Hi,

I'm new to the forums as you notice by my post count! Sub 3:15 is a bit ambitious for me, but I like to aim high. I've only ever run 10ks and one half-marathon before, but planning to run my first marathon next year (didn't get a ballot place in VLM 2010). Does anyone have any tips? I think one problem I have is pacing when it comes to race day - in the half-marathon I set off far too quickly and struggled in the second half, but in training I can often manage a negative split.