Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I don't think many runners really pay attention to that stuff and just assume that if they are still on the course then the crowds and the set up will remain. In reality, after about 5 hours the support drops off quite significantly so it isn't as if these participants are getting the London experience.

I know it is of course subjective as to what people have battled etc in life and the degree of challenge presented, but generally, if you had a friend who took 8hrs would you congratulate them on their achievement?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me a bit of marshaling a local (tough) half marathon.

I used to marshal around 10miles in, and we always had a couple of St John's Ambo guys near us.

One of them loudly was on his radio shouting
    "yeah it's just STRAGGLERS left now".  One guy even heard this and exclaimed "straggler!!" as he passed.

I remember making a massive thing of it with the Ambo guy, inviting him to tell me how quickly he'd be doing it (large chap), and maybe he should keep such disrespect to himself. :)

Ended up trying to play it down to his boss later, when one of our club organisers got wind of it...as by then I thought I don't want to make "That" much trouble for a guy who was volunteering....

But what a douche.... in earshot of old guys doing their best on a tough course!

Now this half was put on as a low key club race, so you can understand it's a bit of ask to get people to marshal 3hours 20 or so, plus the hour or so either side.

But the London Marathon is billed as a bit of a comedy "for everyone" job, with people pissing about dressed up as animals, 20 abrest in bug costumes, and suchlike, so for any disrespecting people on standards for this one is a shocker.

Although a 7 1/2 hour pacer just seems bonkers...
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

I don't think many runners really pay attention to that stuff and just assume that if they are still on the course then the crowds and the set up will remain. In reality, after about 5 hours the support drops off quite significantly so it isn't as if these participants are getting the London experience.

I know it is of course subjective as to what people have battled etc in life and the degree of challenge presented, but generally, if you had a friend who took 8hrs would you congratulate them on their achievement?

"proper" runners wouldn't, but your average clown in an office seems to get more hyped at someone completing a marathon over doing other races quickly.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    I'd always say "Well done" to people.  I think most people would find walking 26 miles pretty tiring, especially if carrying a load of weight.  

There is a boom in participation in running though, which is good, but it has really opened the door to people who aren't really running at all but call it running.  On a FB group I'm on loads of them "jeff".  Fair does, and some people jeff pretty quickly, but when you've gone down to only 30 seconds running with a couple of minutes walking is that even a "run"?  Why not train to actually run?  Or do loads of walking until you've dropped weight and you can do it.  I don't think it's elitist to think that a marathon should be a running event and to expect people who have signed up to mainly run, or at least attempt to do so and put in some training to enable this.   If I put on a walking event I wouldn't expect loads of sub-3 hour runners to rock up and start smashing around the course before all the marshals etc were set up and then moaning about it.  
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    But whatever.  They just need to be clearer about expectations.  Marshalling is a really boring job, I find it boring to marshall a 10k although I still do it.  Not sure I'd be up for a ten hour marshalling stint, plus I'm sure the people of London don't want their transport disrupting for that length of time.  
  • literatin said:
    Runners are warned in advance of what the cut-off times will be; however, I don't think it's made sufficiently clear to them that they won't be starting the race till well over an hour after the official starting time. So if the course is open for 8 hours and you can do it in 7.5 hours, you've actually got no chance of making the cut-off even if you might plausibly think you have.

I wonder how long the marshals sign up for? The one time I marshalled at parkrun I was a bit bored waiting for the 40 minute finisher (last finisher now takes over an hour so there seems to be a trend of it being okay to walk the whole way - parkwalk anyone?).

You'd want the 3 miles slot rather than the 20 mile slot that's for sure. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You say that McFlooze, but my current and last clubs had to have critiera and ballot systems to get onto marshalling stations at London!

I couldn't, and cannot believe it, they're absolutely thrilled to be able to get the chance to marshal for hours. I think my current lot man the Lucozade station at 23miles, so that's a guaranteed long shift!
  • Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Stevie G said:
    DT19 said:

"proper" runners wouldn't, but your average clown in an office seems to get more hyped at someone completing a marathon over doing other races quickly.

Actually for the people who complete a marathon in 8 hours it probably is an achievement - it's just a very different achievement to running a marathon whether in sub 3 or even 5 hours.

Apart from everything else I would need to carry a mahoosive packed lunch if I was taking 8 hours (plus probably an hour and a half at the start) and walking 26 miles.

EDIT: My last two posts were before I'd seen yours McFlooze.

• Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

Jeffing - running and walking named after Jeff Galloway and a favourite of Run Mummy Run members (which should obviously be renamed, or at least have a separate division, Jeff Mummy Jeff).

Thanks McFlooze I had never come across this phrase before.

Although Urban Dictionary has a whole load of alternative definitions but I don't think anyway would make sense in your post however these are my two favourites.

'The act of losing your shit at given moment for things some may find very insignificant. Resulting in your entire day being ruined and most likely breaking anything you can get your hands on.
    eg 'Why is there a hole in the wall? Jeff was Jeffing over not being able to beat free cell in under 2 minutes.'

The act of secretly jerking off on video chat in the bathroom while your wife is in the other room.

(this second one seems a bit sexist, perhaps there is a Jilling version too?)

EDIT: I really should add that they are not necessarily my favourite definitions but they are my favourite definitions when I slot the definition into what McFlooze wrote as below.

'On a FB group I'm on loads of them "jeff".  Fair does, and some people jeff pretty quickly'

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Skinny - of course. To the individual - getting round one is a terrific achievement, which is why i gently lampooned "proper" runners. I often say marathons are for proper runners, not casuals like me whenever my club are trying to bully me into one. :)

I'm always surprised people who don't run much, aren't necessarily built for it etc, want to pile in and do what must be a real world of pain. But that's the country obsession with the marathon, when shorter distances do exist!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

SG, I often get drawn into chats on parkrun fb groups where someone who has been running for 5 weeks and can't break 40 minutes asks whether they should enter the London ballot and the whole response line is 'yes, go for it, I had only run 3 times before entering a mara' etc etc. It seems the mark of progress is distance and not pace. My usual response is, what's the rush, get good at lower distances first and build up etc etc. There is more back patting for running a long way then there is in following a dedicated block of training and running not so far but in a much faster time.

I note vlm 2020 ballot is open. Whilst I wont be entering the ballot I intend running it. Anyone else?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    It's exactly that DT.
    If someone asks how far I've run, I'd always get more surprise/praise from non runners for distance - "wow, 10miles", over pace - mostly because they don't have a clue if xx for xx miles is any good or not.

If I thought i could "get away" with just pootling a marathon out that'd be one thing, but there's no way anyone would let me get away with it - i'd have to come back and do a "proper" go - and then all of a sudden a fairly obsessive thing becomes a totally obsessive thing :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    At the mara some friends had a video of me at circa 25m. They were also supporting someone who came in 40 minutes after me and had a video. I simply said to my wife that from my group to the next you could see the drop off in pace etc. She started accusing me of being arrogant etc. She would enjoy parkrun!!!! It seems to me that parkrun and the marathon are the 2 distances whete it is almost uncool and slightly awkward to be fast! I dont know why but when i have spoken to others since and they have told me their times then asked mine ive had a mild embarrassment telling them in case it looks like im bragging. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I have also softened the situation by stating that they have more to be proud of as running my time was much easier as our respective efforts were the same they just had to do it for much longer. 

What i could of course say is that i did all the tough work all winter making sacrifices and going out on cold dark nights when they might not have. 
  • I had that at Pilates when I ran 1:24 in the local half. When I got there next day the ladies were all congratulating someone who had run 2:48 and so I added my congratulations but when they asked me I was embarrassed that my time was so much faster and felt like I was belittling her efforts.
  • DT19 said:
    I have also softened the situation by stating that they have more to be proud of as running my time was much easier as our respective efforts were the same they just had to do it for much longer. 

What i could of course say is that i did all the tough work all winter making sacrifices and going out on cold dark nights when they might not have. 

'The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.'

Muhammad Ali

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That perfectly captures my point, Skinny. Sunday was almost just the lap of honour.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I had that at Pilates when I ran 1:24 in the local half. When I got there next day the ladies were all congratulating someone who had run 2:48 and so I added my congratulations but when they asked me I was embarrassed that my time was so much faster and felt like I was belittling her efforts.
    1.24! You sound like a proper runner mate  :o
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DT19 said:
    At the mara some friends had a video of me at circa 25m. They were also supporting someone who came in 40 minutes after me and had a video. I simply said to my wife that from my group to the next you could see the drop off in pace etc. She started accusing me of being arrogant etc. She would enjoy parkrun!!!! It seems to me that parkrun and the marathon are the 2 distances whete it is almost uncool and slightly awkward to be fast! I dont know why but when i have spoken to others since and they have told me their times then asked mine ive had a mild embarrassment telling them in case it looks like im bragging. 
    Nah, parkrun is great for feeling big time. :D
    Cruising round after, "won it, innit" to anyone who will listen. Making sure you don't mention you run 50-60 or so miles a week to them B)
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    SG-when people ask me how far I've run they very often follow it up by asking how long it took me, but I think maybe I just have lots of quite fit and sporty neighbours, even if they don't run.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I only make a thing of the distance when I've gone massively wrong.
    Like when a 13miler became 19, including a quite ridiculous bit in a circle ending up where i'd been 3-4miles previously, plus having to leap a fence and wade through a massive field of crops - all the time wondering how the heck I'd cross the M40 ....

Cannot tell you how thankful i was there was some little road that somehow got me across, without having any tunnels, bridges, or any reason it somehow ended the other side. I'll have to check that on the map!
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    I think probably parkrun and the marathon are the only instances where anyone of a non-runner bent has the faintest clue as to what sort of time might be any good. Even if they are way out.  

Or they will ask you that question - what pace do you run at?  Erm, it depends...

Did a little bit of speedwork at lunchtime.  Thought I'd do some 200m type reps.  20 x 20 with 200m jog recoveries.  Felt all smug because I programmed it into my Garmin.  Until the end of the first recovery when I realised I'd programmed in 200 MILE jog recoveries.  Wasn't sure how to amend so has to just start from scratch.  Then I lost count, then just as I was developing jelly legs it started chucking it down so to avoid a mascara incident in the office I sacked it off and jogged back.  Anyway, only did about 13 but it's allowed since I'm still at the end of marathon recovery and slackness is welcomed.  
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
      McFlooze said:
    I think probably parkrun and the marathon are the only instances where anyone of a non-runner bent has the faintest clue as to what sort of time might be any good. Even if they are way out.  

Or they will ask you that question - what pace do you run at?  Erm, it depends...

Did a little bit of speedwork at lunchtime.  Thought I'd do some 200m type reps.  20 x 20 with 200m jog recoveries.  Felt all smug because I programmed it into my Garmin.  Until the end of the first recovery when I realised I'd programmed in 200 MILE jog recoveries.  Wasn't sure how to amend so has to just start from scratch.  Then I lost count, then just as I was developing jelly legs it started chucking it down so to avoid a mascara incident in the office I sacked it off and jogged back.  Anyway, only did about 13 but it's allowed since I'm still at the end of marathon recovery and slackness is welcomed.  

"Only?"  You haven't been reading Ric's stuff on my thread have you :D

13 is plenty... I used to only do 8-10 in a prevo coach's watch. And now do either 12 or 16 on a 5k plan, so 13 isn't small by any means..

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Haha no, Stevie. Not into a structured plan just yet and sitting at my desk I thought it would be nice to do some speed form to try and wake my legs back up post-marathon drudging. Wasn't really sure how many to do and googled a session which was 20 x 200. But only ended up being about 2.5k of effort overall (hence feeling guilty for stopping). But I was going for it on the effort bits once my legs remembered what to do a few reps in. Enjoyed it anyway which is the main thing.

I want to try and get back to PB form for 5 and 10k over the summer so I think these types of sessions need doing.  I'm about 50 seconds away for 5k and 3 minutes for 10k! We won't even mention what has happened to my half marathon/marathon time. 

But now I know my knee (lack of cruciate ligament) seems to cope with most things I can start doing more speed. 
  • I did the same on a 10 x 400m @ 3k pace McFlooze.  Was sure I had been running for over 400m when I realised I'd programmed in .4m instead.  Ended up scrapping it and doing it all manually. 
  • McFlooze said:

Nice session. Always got a little buzz from the fast ones.

I probably did do about 200 mile recoveries between each speed session.

Re the mascara - does sweat not create the same issue as heavy rainfall and what about the shower afterwards? I think I might be more knowledgeable on period chat than make up chat  :#

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have the issue Skinny because I never wear mascara, but re. the shower, I would just rely on the magic of baby wipes and dry shampoo.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    No shower in my workplace and I often do 13 with 10 at tempo over lunch.
  • DT19 said:
    No shower in my workplace and I often do 13 with 10 at tempo over lunch.

I didn't realise you wore mascara.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Ew, smelly DT! Hope you've got your own office.  

Skinny - my approach is to have a shower of my body leaving my head dry and around my face I just sort of lightly pat the worst of the salty sweat off, leaving my mascara intact.  I don't normally sweat so heavily that it is pouring down my face and washing into my eyes.  Whereas all bets are off with rain.

Lit is the sort of natural beauty who looks good all of the time whereas I need to draw eyes on every morning to look vaguely awake.  I imagine DT also falls into the natural beauty category.