P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice sessions Steve and TR.

Managed an easy 3 miles at lunch. Legs not sore but very heavy and didn't get faster than 8/mile. Probably just similar runs this week.

Good luck NE, Macca and FBT.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Nice sessions, TR and Steve! I'm glad I don't have any of those on my schedule anytime soon though :D

Glad your groin issue was short-lived, AWC.

Regarding the hug stop: I nearly ran hubby over but since the horrid CPR episode last year when I nearly lost him it's just something I have to do. What's a few seconds in this context, eh?

I'm back at work but still no energy to run. At least my appetite is very slowly returning so I hope that's me done with this stomach bug now.

• HydeparkrunnerHydeparkrunner ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    FBT - right call on binning the shoes. What’s the race this weekend?

SteveMac - What race are you training for? Apologies, I’ve completely forgotten.

SQ - congratulations once again, more so on the forthcoming addition to the family. I wasn’t sure how you felt about Sunday, so didn’t quiz too much on the day, but really well done. Great to have a beer with you after.

Spoons - happy to hear you’ve pulled up fine after London, even more vindication for dropping out

HA - enjoyed the build up and race report, it’s particularly interesting to read about the training and logic behind it for someone at your pace. Well done again and a lovely picture of you and the family. Big question is, do you need to change the name of the blog now?

Hamo - I’m not sure if I’d be bragging more about the sub 2:40 or warming up next to Kipchoge if I was you! Again, really well deserved result. I hope you’ve enjoyed all the food as well

AWC - the groin issue was pretty early on in the race, so great effort on managing it and pushing through. Really impressive following up the 50 miler with the big marathon PB 3 weeks later

Chicksta - I was questioning how the mid run hug with the husband went as well. Interesting to hear about your race ‘duels’, it’s not something I’ve experienced really. Sounds fun and lovely you could have a moment with them afterwards, although I suppose it’s easy when you beat both of them!

JCG - great to hear you had a good time, London must be the perfect race to run within yourself and take in the atmosphere.

NE - good luck for the weekend

Macca - best of luck for TP100, you’re nuts

TR - Good to see you’re still going strong

I’m injured still/ again, this time in the opposite calf to the one which caused the DNF. I’ve been to the physio and have a number of exercises to do. His words were along the lines of ‘well if you run like that now, you could make big improvements from doing it properly’ 😂 I’m in Barcelona for a week from Sunday, hoping I’ll be back running by then so I can do a bit of exploring.

• NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    SQ...  congrats!  Also, did you have any concerns doing determined dieting so close to the race?  When did you stop going 'calorie negative'?
    Nice work TR - and SteveMac too. I've also forgotten which race you're down for sorry.
    Good luck with the injury HPR... and the play-offs!
    Chiksta... absolutely!

Thanks for the good wishes.  Getting excited now. My turn. Did the 7 with 2@MP last night.  Didn't feel great, but hey.  Still not convinced by the VFs yet either. Feel a bit slappy. Quite loud... but I'm committed now!

Been agonising over pacing and (for now at least) I'm settled on trying something different.  First three miles avg 10s per mile over target MP and only gradually increase to reach MP in mile 7- 8 before settling in to claw it all back at 2-3 seconds below MP from thereon - passing halfway about 30s behind schedule.  If I can hold it, great.  If I fade, then hopefully I'd have reserved enough to ensure it's a well-paced 1-2 minute +ve split, that would bring a small PB.   But I'm not going to fade. I will not be shit. I am going to smash it.

The rationale is my recent marathons have been 4 -5 min +ve splits... and I think because I've been slightly aggressive.  Sick of that, so let's try something different.  Hoping to reach the 8 mile mark with plenty in the tank... and also intend to take on board decent levels of nutrition / hydration whilst my body isn't too stressed and can absorb it... so that I'm in good shape to last the remaining 18 miles.  I know it's not P&D's plan for an optimum time...  but I'm fairly firm on the idea now (no guarantee I won't change my mind though!)

I've lost at least a pound and a half - maybe 2lb - with an emergency diet since Saturday.  That'll do now.  Weather forecast looks almost as good as it was last year.  Excellent!  Wife and daughter will have to wrap up though.  Looking forward to my on-course encouragement from Jooligan.

I'm number 330
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good plan NE. Strong finish is certainly the way to go. You'll probably run a better time and have more fun. Agree also on the nutrition too. I always take more on in the front end, then don't bother towards the end as my guts can't handle it. 

Chicksta - you make a good argument for the hug stop, certainly got your priorities in order. Glad you're over the bug.

HPR - bummer on the calf. Hope it clears up soon. You're right, I might have to change the blog title, I know Joe decided to change the name of his blog after finishing an IM. I probably can't be bothered though.

Another easy pootle planned at lunch today.
  • HPR - supposed to be doing Southampton marathon this sunday, but not sure since those bloody asics last weekend. Had a very painful calf, but settling down now. (I guess you know about that and hope it clears up soon). Mine was a very dull pain, not a sharp pain like a normal tear. painful to walk for 2-3 days.

Will go for a 10k run at luchtime and use that as my fitness check.

Another marathon FBT...  good luck if  you go for it.

I said I agonised over pacing.  One thing I did that people might be interested in...  I looked at all the runners in my age category who went sub 3-30 in London, to see what 'runners like me' were doing.  There were 99 of them of which only 8 did negative splits ( not one was more than a minute negative)... and more than two-thirds were over 5 minutes positive split.  This wasn't really what I wanted to see.  But I'm going to stick with it.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    NE - don't worry what everyone else is doing if you can do something better. Trust yourself, I think the vast majority of those people know much less than you about how to run a marathon. I'm always amazed by how many people running around me get their pacing wrong. I no longer worry about what everyone else is doing.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Wise words, HA77. Forgot to thank you for your excellent report, btw. A really enjoyable read and I love the fact that you put your family first. Runners can be such a selfish bunch sometimes. Must dig out my copy of Lore of Running again.

NE: stop over-analysing and trust your instincts and your training. These numbers will just mess with your head. I read an article about sports psychology the other day and the answer how to run your best race was dead simple: RELAX. Turn race day anxiety into excitement. Tell yourself you will have a great time and smash it. I'm always very careful with strict pace targets because the slightest aberration in GPS coverage can fck it all up.

HPR: Better now than in your next marathon. Hope it's sorted after your break.

Still no running here but my appetite is back with a vengeance :D

• Where did that week go ? Just me or does life speed up after a big race and you wonder how you ever found time for a 20 miler never mind anything else.  I've got to Embankment in my report then it's taken a back seat to other things.

I've really enjoyed reading the reports, just not had to time to say thanks.  Chicksta, I've been guilty in the past of a quick wave to family to save a few secs so kudos for taking the moment and still stepping back into the "race zone" for a great result.  Similarly AWC, to combine a family weekend and take a sizeable chunk off your PB, not something I've ever managed.

HA - really enjoyed reading the build up and race blogs.  I'm sure I'm not the only one but there are so many elements that strike a chord.  I found you on the iplayer crossing the finish line (don't worry, I tried to stalk everyone) and but for the clock, you didn't look like you had gone sub 2:30, whatever that looks like, the same could be said about this thread.  I showed my kids the bit with me on the telly but all they really wanted to see Big Ben smacking into the gantry.

SQ - Most importantly congrats on the news.  You executed a very intelligent race and from my experience, my best results have come when everything on the day has gone my way so I've no doubt a bit of energy was wasted on that journey to the start.  I didn't enjoy going past as I would have loved to recreate the "Spirit of Wokey" but great to meet up afterwards.

Hamo - great report of a great race.  With all those fantastic results in the lead up, in some ways there must have been a weight of expectation but you delivered and some.  I'd never thought to leave the enclosure for a little leg stretch, I might do that next time.  Enjoy Belfast, as you say, a victory lap ! 

Spoons - so glad you've come out of it unscathed.  Great to meet up afterwards, I'm looking forward to Berlin already and I'm not running it !

HPR - hope you can get on top of the injury issue soon.  With the others, great to see you after.  I'd agree with your physio, injury free and with a couple of training blocks in the bank who knows what you'll run.

JCG - great you enjoyed the day.

OO - appreciated, many thanks.

TR - tumble aside, good to see you are back in the saddle.

FBT - good luck with the fitness check.

NE - good luck with Newport.  Pre London I did a similar thing, looking at last years splits of people around my target time.  Most seemed to do a marginal +ve split of around 2mins.  I think the course, crowds and density of field lends itself to that in part so I wouldn't worry about that for Newport and as HA says, do your own thing.  I have agonised over similar a few days out so fully understand where you are.

Again, really appreciate all the comments on progress this last year.  Recovery, if I can really call it that, was a bit slow at the start of the week.  I definitely felt a little more battered than after Manchester which is not surprising really.  I'm mentally up for the Thames Path tomorrow and am prepared for the times when it won't be much fun but I do love this race.  Sub 20hrs is my long term goal and I haven't ruled it out tomorrow but it will be a case of feeling my way round. 

• runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭

Great reports HA. Not self-indulgent at all, not every day you run sub-2:30! Very interesting how you’ve learned to listen to your body more, and adapt where necessary. And it’s certainly worked for you.

Great report too Hamo. Good thinking on the gantry photo ;) Congrats again, and good luck for Sunday.

Top work AWC, massive PB.

Well done Chicksta, nice work. Those Garmin VO2max race predictors are insanely generous for me too.

Congrats JCG, glad you enjoyed it.

Nice intervals Steve.

Keep up those exercises and I’m sure you’ll be back before you know it HPR. As the physio says, hopefully you’ll come back even stronger.

Good plan NE. Finishing strongly at the end of a marathon is a massive mental boost, so I’m sure if you get the pacing right you’ll easily regain the time by feeling strong and positive at the end. I wouldn’t worry about all those positive splits from London (excellent stat geekery by the way :grin:) - I’m sure if you asked most of them they’d say they shouldn’t have gone out so fast.

Best of luck for tomorrow Macca, you’re mad, but in a good way! 

A lovely sunny recovery on Wednesday with SQ was followed up by an easy 10 yesterday and then an intervals session today. I headed to the nearby grass track aiming to do 4-6 800m reps depending on how things felt. Just wanted to test the injury out at speed really. Ended up doing 5x800m and then 4x100m.

The pace was nothing exciting (3:02 average), but consistent and my fastest was the last one (3:00). Slower than HM PB pace, but have to start somewhere I guess. Most importantly not even a twinge from the injury which was really positive especially given I’d done the 10 yesterday. Long way to go, but it’s a start…

• Certainly does speed up Macca...

NE - Im a firm believer that mere mortals like us should be doing 5 min positive splits, as our muscles and systems will fatigue . People like Kipchoge can give it all in last couple of miles for a negative split.

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    HPR - Edinburgh half is next race. I'd wish you luck for the playoffs, but my loyalties are elsewhere in the playoffs!!
    Macca - Best of luck!
    NE - Good luck, sounds like a good plan to ease into MP.
    Spoons - Sounds positive.
    Chicksta - Well done for taking time out for the hug! Family is so important.

Not sure if anyone has spotted it, but Jim Wamsley and a few other ultra runners are going to try to break the 100k world record in new HOKA shoes....they need to run 5:56 min/miles for 62 miles to do so!!!!!
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Steve...nice reps, good pace.

TR...sounds like a tough session, well done.

Chicksta...very understandable stopping for the hug, puts running in its rightful place when all is said and done.

HPR...All the food was, and still is lovely  :D  Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

NE...All the very best of luck. Your race plan definitely seems like a well thought out and good idea, excited to see you smash it. I agree with HA, ignore everyone else, trust yourself and your training.

FBT...Fingers crossed the calf settles and behaves itself.

Macca...I sat in the corner at the back entrance to the pen and seen a few people jook out to warm up, so thought id join them. Was nice to get a bit of room to stretch the legs.  Best of the best of luck for you tomorrow.

Spoons...very encouraging to see reps at a hefty speed not causing any issues. As you say, onward and upwards.

Few easier days for me this week, 4/6/almost 7, just to help make the legs feel slightly more human before Belfast. All in all not too bad, legs are ok if not a bit heavy, just tried more than anything else.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    NE - i like your plan, enjoy your day. Hardly any runners will be running -ve splits at any pace,  only the high mileage and highly trained can do it and get anywhere near their optimum. Ive done a vlm -ve splitvand whilst its more enjoyable to be the overtaker rather than overtaken, its a big positive split effortwise, although all marathons are i suppose.

Macca - hope you go well, or at least dont suffer too much.

Spoons - good news.

I had a day off work today to make a long weekend and get my long run done as we have a family wedding tomorrow. Thought i had best make sure i did a decent run to justify the sacrifice, so did 24m in 3.10. 5 weeks til yeovil.
  • Hmm after 3-4 miles dull pain in calf was back and progressed to make me walk run for last 2-3 miles...

Anyone wants a free place for Southampton marathon then let me know.

Sums up a crap years running really.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Agree with Macca on time speeding up. I’ve only just caught up with the thread and I think everything has been said. Some great performances on Sunday and was great to have a good chat over a few beers.

Im still struggling to believe my 2:51 actually happened. I thought on a good day I could squeeze a 2.52/ 2.53 but ended up going off a little ambitiously, 6.27 vs a planned 6:35 but all felt good. Stuck to effort rather than pace and was still feeling ok at 15 miles where I have previously had a wobble. Decided to see how long I could hold onto sub 6:30 pacing and felt ok until 22 miles where I could (possibly) feel a bit of cramp in my calf, I slowed down slightly and it seemed to go away. I knew 6:40’s would still get me a huge PB So stuck to that rather than hammering the last 3 miles. As GPS was all over the place I wasn’t sure quite how much I’d be under but seeing 2:51:09 as I crossed the line was great. Not sure if I’ll get close to that for a while. It was one of those days where every just comes together.

Good luck to all racing this weekend especially Macca after the VLM performance, I will be following the tracker as usual.
  • FBT - really sorry to hear that, that’s rubbish mate.

Millsy - really was a great run from you, ever since I saw you at Bushy I was convinced you were in for a good London. 

Very much enjoying tracking Macca during the day. Not a great day for it..

Pitched up at Fulham parkrun this morning and ran 17:40. Was a good tempo effort, not flat out, so that was encouraging. Got a sprint triathlon on Monday, going in with zero expectation, will give it a good whack. 

London blog is finally finished if people want a read;

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2019/05/04/london-marathon-28-04-2019/
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Good to see you pop in, Millsy. Bet you're still over the moon.

That's rubbish news, FBT :(

Hope it goes well, Macca 🤞

And good luck, NE 🙏

Love your blog, Joe. You ought to have your own newspaper column :) Such a brilliant enjoyable read again. 2 questions though:

Why do you and lots of other people in those pics actually wear 2 chips?
    And how did Paul manage to get a pair of 'even faster' shoes?
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Can’t wait to hear Macca’s report. Been tracking him the last 24hrs and he’s totally smashed it AGAIN!!!
  • First off, good luck NE.

Millsy, like Joe, I thought you would run well in London. Great result.

FBT - sorry about the injury, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Joe - good luck in the tri tomorrow, I’ll read your blog in a bit.

TR - that’s a cracking run.

Thanks AWC. On the train home drifting in and out of consciousness, made up with 18: 35 when goal was sub 20. I know I’m going to wake up at Marylebone having dribbled down my front.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Macca, you LEGEND! That's brilliant. Commission Joe to write a report ;)

Hope NE has a good race today.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Well done again all, loving the race reports even if it leaves me with loads of FOMO. And have to give special shout out to Macca, he’s unstoppable!

Glad to hear a few of you still have races to come, my HM is in 2 weeks but got sidelined for a week with shin splints after doing too much the week before. Gutted to miss a 10k this weekend on May 4th which had a special Star Wars medal plus I had bib #1! Hopefully back running again now so will keep training through my half and build up to Gold Coast marathon in July. 

Look forward to to keeping up with more of your running. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that FBT

Joe - great read, plenty of bike and swim now !

Macca - you have some steely legs. Was that done off yr P and D build up?

12m easy for me. Yeovil has had a course change and has just got a bit hillier, hopefully not hilly enough to scupper my sub3 chances.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Incroyable Macca. Chapeau.
    I found 15M mostly done at a very sedate pace was a couple too many today. I was out on the Newport Marathon course run supporting with various friends. Saw NE at about 20K & tried to stay with him for a bit but he was going too fast for me to want to try keeping up so I let him go & that was the last I saw of him. Ran a few miles with a couple of tri-club buddies & caught up with some fellow fellow FoDAC supporters in between times.
    Sorry to read that FBT.

Macca... sounds tremendous. Look foward to the details.

Just a quick check in to say that I was an emotional wreck in the last mile as the reality that I was going to do it started to hit me.  Pathetic really!

I'll need to analyse my Garmin in detail but in short, I did pretty much exactly as I planned and, with a bit of encouragement from Jooligan, the result was as good as I could have hoped with a 2 minute negative split. Took on plenty of fuel and water, especially in the first half.   1:40:28 to half way, 1:38:31 back for 3:18:51.

Just one of THE best days!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Brilliant result NE. I'd checked the tracker already when I posted so knew you'd smashed it. Congratulations & bask in the glory.
    Ps: Looks like 99 people at VLM got it wrong B)
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Yeah, NE - you rock 💪

Super happy for you :+1: don't worry, I shed a few tears last Sunday as I crossed the finish line :D and mine wasn't even a PB
  • Macca - just incredible mate. I have absolutely no idea how you do it.

And yes NE! Brilliant result. You really deserved that after all the hard work you put in. Hope you celebrate appropriately.

Chick - your comment about Paul's shoes made me chuckle. Apparently, from it to be allowed for the elites to wear them, they have to be on general sale. So they put them on general sale on the Wednesday before the race.

As for the two chips - they made us wear two if you were on the Champs start. No idea why. 
  • Brilliant NE , fully deserved and so pleased for you.  you earnt that moment.  GFA entry ?