Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The Bus said:
    Yes, but there's a world of difference between the good-natured tone and well-meaning intention of SG's post and your own oblique, yet frankly hostile referencing and pseudo-philosophising...

Actually, this thread is by far the biggest stress I have to deal with? 

But it's compelling fare all the same.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The Bus said:
    Yes, but there's a world of difference between the good-natured tone and well-meaning intention of SG's post and your own oblique, yet frankly hostile referencing and pseudo-philosophising...

Says a guy who has written down that he's stubborn, stupid and does not learn. And is consistent with proving it.

I've always argued for common sense. But in the strange world of internet forums that apparently qualifies me as an arsehole.

The character of those who think along those lines is questionable. 

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    :(

Nice tempo SW, I don't have a target race but I do have a 10k in a couple of weeks and I will follow that up with more local races. If I can start out with a sub 35 I'll be very happy.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    What's better? Use a physio's guidance in conjunction with your own intuition or obsess about every minor injury (real or potential) to the extent you never race. I know which one I think shows character. 

Just a crap parkrun for me this weekend. Did Bracknell which is a tough course but not 20'14 tough which is what I delivered. 2 mins slower than Woodley a month ago. Feel in a lull again now after a decent April and pace and ease of running has all dropped away. Maybe just overdid it a bit and need go back a bit to go forward  

Great tempo's SW and Reg. Guess your 10k is Royal Berks which I'm in too. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric - the problem with words on a page, especially on a forum that RW has made so hideously bland, is there's no tone. Therefore, despite it not feeling that way too you, at times it appears you're having colossal digs at people.

Eventually, after enough of them they will react. So be nice, you need all your focus on next Sunday's comeback extraordinaire  <3

Reg - humble aim there then ;)

I had been vaguely considering a turnout tomorrow, but as I never turn up with such little notice to a race, knew it was unlikely really!

Therefore, 14 today, by sheer fluke , exactly 7.00 pace, 1:38:00

Doesn't "Need" to be that "fast" as such, but the nature of the route meant climbing to about 8-9miles, then an absolutely colossal down over 1.5miles, and that just left some momentum to close out the last few miles.

If I'm honest, I was just doing a 13, hence doing the variant of the loop that has a big downhill as above, rather than the other one that has it 11-13, but I still had about 20mins of a great podcast left, so thought i'd eat into that more :)

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

Reg - humble aim there then ;)

I'm not afraid to predict a PB (35:11) good conditions and no injuries between now and then and I'll be disapponted not to go under 35mins. Why would I aim for anything less ;)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    RicF said:
    The Bus said:

Says a guy who has written down that he's stubborn, stupid and does not learn. And is consistent with proving it.

I've always argued for common sense. But in the strange world of internet forums that apparently qualifies me as an arsehole.

The character of those who think along those lines is questionable. 

Am I stubborn -  definitely! Do I learn? Of course - but sometimes I repeat my own mistakes. Am I stupid? Maybe - I don't think I've called myself that, but no doubt you can find a quote to prove otherwise given your apparent obsession with my every word and action. Either way, and despite being written off by you many times, I'm still able to put one foot in front of the other, and more importantly, actually still enjoy running.

It's fine to judge, critique and disagree Ric - that's the whole point of a forum like this It's also OK to argue for common sense - that's not what qualifies you as an arsehole.  That's more down to your gilt edged belief that what you say is sacrosanct and that you seem to operate on some higher plain than the rest of us. Oh, that and the fact that you think you are somehow qualified to judge people's 'character'.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Can someone pass the popcorn.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

Ealing mile then, it's always a nice little low key burn out, but you can always rely on a decent set of pics.

They usually generate a bit of FB banter, as they have the tendency to push the kids to the  front for the pics, meaning if you're not careful it can look like you're in a kids race :)

However, this pic shows the little "plant roundabout" that makes the start a little more fraught than it could be!

So you have to curve to the left to start with, and then round the bend, out of sight, there's an even sillier blind sharp bend past a massive tree, that makes for a particularly silly first 20metres.

Once that's done, you're off!

Why they don't run it in reverse, start on the left of the shot, or round past the tree I don't know. Tradition I guess!

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Guess you didn't make it to Cardiff for the 5K then SG. Have you seen the results? 12 runners went sub 15, 34 sub 16 & 72 sub 17! Standout result IMO was Lee Aherne who ran his 2nd marathon in 7 days in the morning in 2:46 then clocked a 17:04 for the 5K only 7 hours later! He's a V50 & his London time last week was 2:38 btw!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's some bonkers stuff. 
    Clearly taking it easy in the second marathon then ☺

Will have to work out some race trips after these next couple of weekends racing.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Right, starting up the 5k work properly then.
    Always a bit of a rude awakening.

6x800,2x400,2x200.

Told myself, 1min 20 lapping or 2min 600s would be fine, but in reality I know I've done 1.57 for this one before

1.56, 1.55,1.57,1.56,1.56,1.57,1.58,1.58
    1.17 x 2
    2x36  (estimated the first as 36, as after the second 1.17, I had to take an emergency leap into the bushes, and bungled the clock ;) )

Woke up a lil bit tired, probably down to revelling in the post game chat last night. Legs felt a little weary, very possibly at the sustained sharper paces required after so long at threshold/longer distance stuff.

However, a decent way back in.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Nice session SG, but was that 8x600 or are you casually knocking out sub 2 800s on tired legs?

16 x 400 for me tonight, will aim for 1.25 which is just inside 18min 5k pace, will try and push the last 8 on a bit

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    whoops....ahem, yes apologies 8x600s!!

Good luck on the 16x400. One of those that you think will be a doss, but will build up late doors!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Session went pretty well. Was aiming for 1.25-1.26 which is just inside 18min pace, first two reps came out at 1.22! Third was 1.20 when I had tried to slow down so decided to stick with it. Plan was to push on the 2nd half of the session which I did and finished with a couple of 1.18s

1st half: 1.22, 1.22, 1.20, 1.22, 1.22, 1.21, 1.20, 1.21 = 1.21 Avg
    2nd Half: 1.22, 1.19, 1.19, 1.20, 1.19, 1.19, 1.18, 1.18 = 1.19 Avg

I don't think for a second im in 17.05 5k shape but felt in control and was good to get the legs turning over

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice blaggery Stevie, not unlike my "aim for 2.00 rep 600s" yesterday and clearly coming faster :)

Was there a few mins in between the 8s, or did you just split in halfs for ease of viewing?

While you're probably correct that you can't equate those to a continuous 5k, you're clearly on a nice crest of a wave at the mo.

I had one of those stressy nights sleeps, all Liverpool's fault. It's amazing how you can get so caught up in another team's results that don't even affect your own lot!
    Really hope they lose the final, as we all know an insufferable Liverpool fan!

Sort of a slight taper down with just a solo 8 today.
    Rainy job, 7.13.

Is anyone out there bar me and SW posting at the moment, or are we all letting Ric "latest-gate" wear off?
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Just split the 8s for easy viewing and as the plan was to go slightly faster for the 2nd half. Hopefully based on that I should break 18 when j give parkrun a crack next weekend. 

I think it's just me and you SG!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    If you can do 16 like that off 1min you're in a cracking place, as generally i'd have done that sort of session as more a 10k session than 5k.

Looking back to last summer, I had a 12x400 and a 8x400 on the schedule (also a 5x400 but we'll ignore that as it gets silly and a bit undoable). I think I did the 12 in 1.15 average, and the 8 possible 1.12/3?

That saw squeezing a sub 17.

No idea how i'd go this summer, as I've felt a bit "off" on the shorter stuff.
    But I guess putting in 2x1.17s 400s after the 8x600s at 1.18 average suggests i'm on the way back (hopefully!). I suppose it's natural to find the shorter stuff a bit of a rude awakening after the longer slower work.

So with 1.20 average for 16, you'd clearly get that down for the lesser reps, so sub 18 should be pretty comfy, depending on the state of the parkrun obviously!

I was jogging my local course the other day, and there are these mad steps, that are pretty tough to get any momentum up as they're too wide for man sized leaps....i was panting up them at 7.20s!  And then wonder why I can never get any faster than 1735-45s on that course :)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Morning...

Cracking sessions chaps. Always think something like 16x anything is hard, and 400s especially so. Very quick too, and especially in the last quarter, which shows good control.   I can never work out 600s!

I've had four days off over the BH weekend and just been walking and stretching. Progress is being made, if frustratingly erratic with random muscle spasms at the most inconvenient of times! I can, however, now put socks on without having to do some weird yoga moves :smiley:

Easy run to the station this morning, with some weird wet stuff coming out of the sky - not sure what it was?  

Oh, and does anyone want an entry to Marlow 5 on Sunday?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    No prospect of you tempo-ing or anything? Not to encourage you to overdo it obvs - but won't be the same without you. Although we apparently have about 82 Dashers signed up!

That adds its own pressure though - had to bust juice to beat a clubmate late doors last year - using course knowledge to put a burst on just before you make that last turn and have the straight to the park!  Will approach it like the Maidenhead 10 - relaxed, but obviously have to get out harder than a 5.57 mile - had the heat as an excuse that day!

Might be a rare coldish/wet one - fingers crossed - light rain only obvs. Noone wanted a pissdown job.

600s are easier on the mind than 800s! You get to put a keen 200 in, settle, and then a keener last 200!

• There's never a dull moment with this thread! Except maybe when SG rattles on about pre-race parking ;)

As usual, some great training going on - nice reps SW and SG, and Reg with the tempo!

Bus, I hope you manage to find a fix for your back - I can't imagine what it's like to put up with that. 

So, got back from NZ last Thursday, with April being approx 190mi month - all easy base building. So, naturally it's sods law to pick up some stinking cold somewhere on my journey back. Not run since Friday, putting me on a total of 7.5mi this month.
    Got a local Grand Prix race on Sunday, a 10km, so just gonna see how I go - make it a sensible workout of sorts, and try to get some points for the club. On the 19th I have Plymouth HM, training hasn't gone to plan as I've done no specific speed work (read: no speed work at all), so plan to make that a harder effort long run. Let's see how close to 90mins I can get.

Currently imming and amming about a track 5000m on Thursday 23rd - will be a case of seeing how the legs are after the HM, but I'm definitely keen for a short burn out as a marker for summer speed work.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    There's never a dull moment with this thread! Except maybe when SG rattles on about pre-race parking ;)

As usual, some great training going on - nice reps SW and SG, and Reg with the tempo!

Bus, I hope you manage to find a fix for your back - I can't imagine what it's like to put up with that. 

So, got back from NZ last Thursday, with April being approx 190mi month - all easy base building. So, naturally it's sods law to pick up some stinking cold somewhere on my journey back. Not run since Friday, putting me on a total of 7.5mi this month.
    Got a local Grand Prix race on Sunday, a 10km, so just gonna see how I go - make it a sensible workout of sorts, and try to get some points for the club. On the 19th I have Plymouth HM, training hasn't gone to plan as I've done no specific speed work (read: no speed work at all), so plan to make that a harder effort long run. Let's see how close to 90mins I can get.

Currently imming and amming about a track 5000m on Thursday 23rd - will be a case of seeing how the legs are after the HM, but I'm definitely keen for a short burn out as a marker for summer speed work.
    oi oi oi, i thought we were best thread mates :D

Good luck at the Plymouth half. Or in football terms the "relegation from league 1 special" :)
    Quite a change to a track 5k after. I dare say you'd find that harder work than the half!

On another note, ages ago i'm sure we talked about shoe size versus running shoe size. I was slightly odd, in 10 v 12

Just tried some 10s on (having geniusly forgotten the work shoes, even more geniusly on a day i was only doing a single, and triple geniusly on a wet day - hence sitting in squelchtastics...)

came out super tight.

So for the first time in 25ish years of adult shoes, size 11 it is! And  they feel fine.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I take the same tiny 7.5 in most footwear :smile:

Thanks Matthew - it's certainly not been fun, but at least I know it's only temporary. It has certainly given me a new found sympathy for anyone who has that sort of issue long-term. No sure I could cope beyond a few weeks!  Difficult to judge the track 5k after a half. I used to do a hilly, usually hot, 5k a couple of days after the Wycombe Half and it always turned out ok. Wouldn't be able to do it these days though!

SG - it'll be sunny for Marlow 5 - it always is! I think at this point, any form of effort would be asking for trouble! I suspect Fairfield horseshoe fell race the Saturday after will also be a no-no, which is more of a shame tbh, but it'll still be there next year :smile:
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I'd do Marlow 5 if it came with a babysitter too! Sounds like you're just about coping with the interruption to training Bus.

Nice sessions above, I did a session myself today. Decided on 4 x 800 and 2 x 600 aiming around 5k pace. A rare visit to the track to add a bit of variety, only problem being a slight worry anytime I saw somebody official looking heading in the direction of the track, maybe I will pay next time!
    A fairly light session but more than enough for me at this stage and I made sure to keep them controlled. 2:45,2:42, 2:43 & 2:41 for the 800s and then 1:57 for both the 600s.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one reg.
    And you marvelous captured the "track experience" stress when not paid up  :D
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Bit quiet on here with lots of the regulars seemingly taking a break (no doubt Ric with full focus on the big comeback on Sunday!). 

1st evening race of the year for me last night at Dinton Pastures 5k. Barnes Fitness who organise Woodley 10k and a fair few other local races now do these as a 4 race summer series (5k and 10k options available, 1 lap or 2) and they always set the standard for putting on races. One of their many great features I've not seen elsewhere is all results up on a big computer screen as soon as you finish and a printout available instantly with time, finishing position and category position. Great for knowing straight away if its worth hanging around for prize giving ;) The race is now on Po10 too as multi-terrain as its all off road but mainly easy terrain around picturesque lakes.  

Entered with my daughter who is 13 now, so just old enough, and good to now be able to do proper races with her after lots of parkuns. Weather looked ropey as we drove over, but the forecast was right and it dried up for the 7.30pm start. Bit of an odd race as you are never sure who is running what distance. Clocked a local v50 face before the start and he was in the 10k so that was a result as he was clearly going to beat me to 5k even with 5k more to go after!

Got off to a decent start and through first k in 3'35 but that was slightly downhill. Just steady from there, each k being a few seconds under 4 mins but each feeling significantly harder than the previous. Pretty much held position throughout, but 2 guys closing rapidly towards the line got me doing my best attempt at a sprint finish so home in 19'03. Certainly glad not to be in the 10k as I would have been rubbish on the 2nd 5k. The course was very wet after all the daytime rain and all off road so happy enough with my time. Was 4th overall and 1st v50 which brings a nice little trophy. My daughter ran a great race to finishing in just over 26 mins and 23rd female out of 120. Was more pleased with her result than my own :)       

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Pete., and daughter. Nice little turnouts.

Once I have some vague speed back, I look forward to some low key 5ks - can't beat that "over soon" feeling.

Felt a bit rundown this week - probably half down to the Monday & Tue late footy games, and struggling to sleep after.

Single today, done by 9, so best part of 2 days until Marlow.
    No expectations, just enjoy a nice local race, and try and see off anyone who is very similar to my level on the day!

At the absolute last min, we've got an 8th man for the Endure 24, which is a mere 5 weeks away.
    Mee Meep - an early thread days poster has joined - sub 3 marathon and mid 36 10k these days, so slots in middle of our team on pace, but will be near top end on what will need a lot of long distance expertise and offroad skillz.

Good luck on the big comeback Ric - we need a good turnout and report for you to gain redemption :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work Pete and daughter M :smile:

Need a sub 29 from you on Sunday SG :wink:

Managed a 7M yesterday, with seemingly no ill effect, and even managed to have no painkillers and do some driving yesterday! Probably pushed a bit too far with a 6 to the station this morning though as I've been a bit sore after, with the odd spasm. Not as bad as last week still, so no real harm done hoepfully. Canned the run home :smile:  To be fair, all the poking and prodding the physio did last night probably didn't help,a and neither did sitting in a bloody uncomfortable chair in a meeting for an hour first thing at work!

It's all one day at a time now though, so will see how it is tomorrow.... 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Quick post before the reports come in, on a traditionally sunny day for Marlow 5 :smile:

Still making progress - just shy of 8 miles yesterday, with almost zero pain until after an hour of sitting in front of the tv in the evening!  8.5 this morning made 35 for the week (and a lowly 34 avg pw for the past 5 weeks :neutral:). I did think about getting to double figures, but erred on the side of caution and will most likely take tomorrow off to see how it settles....
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice un Bus - and you were right, Marlow 5 day has to always be in the sun! It doesn't matter how much it rains and is cold the week before, by race day it's always warm! :D

Let's crack on