Monday 6th May 2019 - Clambering men in big bad boots

Morning.

Lyrics - Clambering men in big bad boots

I watch Bake-off Hazel so I'm familiar with japanais though I've never made one, as I said, more of a plain cook me.  Your cake sounds lovely but you can't go far wrong with cherries and alcohol in my book.

I guess you're referring to this year's fancy dress OH? You have some great ideas.

Race well Poppy and Dustin. Anyone else racing today?

My legs are a little stiff this morning but nothing too specific if you know what I mean however rather than pushing on and running further this morning as I'd half planned/hoped I shall be sensible and just try another short one in the hope this will encourage the legs to return to normality sooner rather than later.

What:            short and easy/gym
Why:             sensible head/needs must
Last hard:     being sensible
Last rest:      4/5
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Get stuck in WP and Dustin!

I assumed it was a fancy dress reference, also, from OH!

LMH: my physio says the spiky ball is the most useful piece of kit after resistance bands. I do a lot of rolling and putting weight through it (under my foot) when on the computer or watching TV etc. I also sit on it to help stimulate the glutes and in the fitness suite I have it under my shoulder blades and roll over it to help my upper back.

What: catching the bus and running back for around an hour

Why: makes me run longer. Achilles is tender this morning though.

Yesterday's lyrics were Hi Hi Silver Lining by Jeff Beck. The silver lining to LMH's marathon was the amount raised for cancer research. And I'm sure it is never too late to donate!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Hi all.  Painful Plodding and Poor Pacing at the Perth Parkrun on Saturday but a much improved run yesterday of 8 miles.  

Remember Dani, the Australian lady who posted here, can’t remember her username, she posted on Strava that she got engaged, great news.  She is still training and working hard. 

Lyrics,no. 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Morning Don!
    Think Dani was known as Dibs3690
    How's your knees?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Just the same Alehouse, sore but manageable as long as I keep the pace reasonable.  Am seeing a third physio soon so that'll be three pieces of advice I will be ignoring....  :D
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Hope you have a nice short run LMH.

Have a nice bus run Ale.  Good point regarding the spiky ball.  Certainly something to do when confined to the desk as I currently am.   Can't find mine right now though - last time I saw it it was being dribbled around the kitchen by the cat...  I also have a one made of foam roller material so that will do... 

Sounds frustrating regarding the knees Donaldo. 

What: probably some form of cross training later - maybe out on the mtb.
    Why: running rest day
    Last rest: today
    Last hard: the knots in my quads (feeling a lot better today)

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

What: 70 minutes, 11.75k

Why: caught a bus out and ran back. Longest run since 2017. More of a struggle this week, though, as the wind was against for the whole way back. Should be grateful that the last two weeks I had it behind me!
  • RNLI bank holiday 5k (25m30)
    Scapa Loop later
    It's local with tea and cakes afterwards
    Last hard: maintaining a hairsbreadth lead over Elspeth. 
    Sunny for race but hailing now!

FB friends with Dibs (Dani) but missed out on latest news. She's back home just now.
  • (Dibs news and mandatory ring photo went on FB 5h ago)
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Well done OH on race today:-)

My own 5k was lumpy and twisty and turny as predicted and 3 laps took 1 lap to run at my pace and over take the runners who started too fast not one person over took me(27.35)  watch time think it was gun to chip as no mat at start.

Got handed leaflet for 4.70 mile race on Sunday Trap Llandeilo so all being well will enter on day.Strange distance;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Ale: Bad planning on your part - next time catch a bus in the right direction so you have a tailwind :)

+1 re. spiky ball. Very useful piece of kit.

Excited for Dibs :+1:

Well done, Poppy.

Your cake sounds yum, Hazel. I remember Kirsch (the liquid version). No proper fondue without a glass of Kirsch :D

Glad you could spend the voucher, LMH. At least that's a useful prize. I won gym membership for a ladies only gym at the other end of town once. Returned it to them as it was of no use at all.

What: 5 miles and gym stuff
    Why: Easing back into it
    Last hard: being laid off
    Last rest: Friday

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Nice work, WP and OH!

Either next week or the week after I will be catching a tram and running back, Chick! The good thing about today's route is that the majority of the run is traffic free. 
  • I had the same thought about Alehouse's run chicksta. You don't mean 'being laid off' in the sense that we would as in made redundant do you? I'm hoping you mean not being able to run whilst you were ill.

Nice racing Oh - hope you enjoyed the cake.

Doesn't sound like the fastest of courses Poppy. Was that faster than your last one? It sounds as though you have been bitten by the racing bug!

Hope you had good weather for your mtb ride Hazel and your quads have loosened off. I enjoyed my run thanks, was sensible and didn't increase the distance.

Are yo going to keep going until someone tells you what you want to hear Donaldo? I don't mean that quite as it sounds - you have to trust your physio/doctor/whoever or you're not going to do what's needed to get better - especially if that involves rest (or that's the case for me anyway).

Nice to see you being able to build the distance Alehouse.

So, another short and easy run for me this morning as everything loosened off as I walked Grace. Started with a very slow mile and was a bit 'uhoh' but fortunately it just kept getting better and the last mile was over a minute faster than the first. Hopefully things won't deteriorate overnight and I will be able to think about increasing the distance a little tomorrow.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

What: 10km walk along the Ridgeway (Chiltern Hills)
    Why: bank holiday walk followed by pub lunch
    Last hard: those hills!
    Lyrics: nope

Good views of Checkers (PM's country house) and across the Chilterns

Well done WP and oh
    Hope no bad effects for your legs lmh though sounds you're being sensible
    Ale well done for longest run

Off to Vienna tomorrow for a conference.

Have a lovely evening all
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening!

Hope you get to enjoy Vienna as well as the conference, Emz!

Progress, LMH! But don't forget that it really isn't that many days since you ran a marathon: compromised or not it will still have taken a fair chunk out of you. There are quite a few good runners who only now are contemplating their first light tentative runs!

Probably better training effect having the wind against today! Annoying though!
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    LMH: Aaargh - bloody autocorrect - so sorry!! I'm pretty sure I tried to write "being laid low" as in with a virus :smile: I get this autocorrect nonsense all the time 🤦
    Glad your run went ok.

Enjoy Vienna, em. Lovely place.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Ah forgot it is bank holiday Monday in the UK. Better idea, if date related holidays fall on a weekend here you lose them.

Certainly seems to be progress Ale, but boo to the wind.

+1 to any race with tea and cakes OH. Well done to you and WP also!

Not sure I would be keen on a ladies only gym Chicksta, same with ladies only races. I was also worried about the laid off bit until I scrolled down.  Hmm fondue!

'Fraid I didn't go out for more than a walk to the shop/library LMH. Your run today sounds promising that you might be able to ease (gently!) back into it.

Must have been a lovely walk emzap. Enjoy Vienna as much as you can, lovely city as Chicksta says.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    LMH, haha, yes, exactly.  I want someone to tell me how to keep training AND get rid of the pain at the same time.