Weight Gain for a change

This is my first use of the forum but can anyone offer some advice on weight gain? There seem to be plenty of articles/threads on weight loss but I am 6'3" and weigh just under 12 stone and do not want to lose anymore weight through running. I am fortunate that my weight has always been at around the 12 stone mark and I only lost a few kilos doing the FLM, my first marathon, in a time of 3hrs 58mins, but I want to ensure I don't lose anymore as I feel I am underweight as it is. I have a healthy diet with a good mix of all the basic essentials but I have never been a calorie counter - should I just be eating more?

Comments

• yes

although as to what I'm not sure, someone sensible will be along soon, I'm sure

well done on your mara
  • Hi there Stringbean. I'm 6'3" and weigh about 12 and a quarter stone, so similar to you. The most I have ever weighed is 12 and a half.

In the last few months I have increased the amount of training I am doing quite a bit and I started losing weight. I am glad to say that I am not losing weight any more.

One tip I can give you is to try to replace as many of the calories that you burn when exercising during and immediately after. So drink an energy drink of some kind during exercise. Then immediately after have a recovery drink (such as REGO) - these don't seem to fill you up so you can drink them whilst stretching after your run say, then have a normal meal afterwards.

Also, drink less tea, coffee, water and drink more fruit juices and milk which have more calories.

Apart from that, I just eat three decent meals a day and have plenty of snacks in between! I always take lots of fruit with me to work so that I can eat this at my desk, etc.

I hope this doesn't upset anyone on a diet who reads this, but I have been known to make sandwiches to eat whilst I am cooking my dinner!
  • Thanks Kryten. I've not been eating much between meals so perhaps as you say the trick is 'little and often'. I tend to drink more water during the day so I guess I can try vary this a little with fruit juices and milk. I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.
  • Thanks for sharing. You can eat a healthy diet.
  • Buy branded shoes online
    <a href="https://cncpts.ae/collections/footwear">Buy branded shoes online</a>
  • Try and do a weight training program alongside your running as cardio will burn muscle before fat and muscle is heavier than fat. Not only should this benefit your training but you should also look more aesthetically pleasing, as the malnourished runners look is something I want to avoid
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Try and do a weight training program alongside your running as cardio will burn muscle before fat and muscle is heavier than fat. Not only should this benefit your training but you should also look more aesthetically pleasing, as the malnourished runners look is something I want to avoid
    1kg of fat weighs the same as 1kg of muscle. 

• <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/skotty">skotty</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText"><blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Thebigeasy">Thebigeasy</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Try and do a weight training program alongside your running as cardio will burn muscle before fat and muscle is heavier than fat. Not only should this benefit your training but you should also look more aesthetically pleasing, as the malnourished runners look is something I want to avoid</div>
    </blockquote>
    1kg of fat weighs the same as 1kg of muscle. 

</div>
    </blockquote>
    And 1kg of of fat is about 3 times the size of 1kg of muscle, know what I would rather have