Comrades 2019

Comments

• right.. training has started.. I have ran 3 miles every morning this week.. rest day tomorrow because of exam  :)

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    nice one seren, hope your exam went well.

Did my long run this weekend. Everything went to plan, can't believe i am at this point in the training schedule once again. It seems to come round quicker each year.

Hope everyone else doing great things....
  • jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to all taking part in the VLM. Noticed that the Belfast marathon yesterday included a bonus 0.4 miles this year :)

For me one more training run ticked off on Sun with the Limerick marathon, just two more events to go & really looking forward to a break after Comrades. Used the power meter again but tried to keep the number on the watch 10 higher than last time to see the effect & it translated to 3:31 although on a less hilly course. Same plan for the Gutsmuths Rennsteiglauf but will use a lower number of course!

The course profiles reminds me a little of the Up run but thankfully without Polly Shorts like climbing at the end!
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    I hope everyone has had a great long weekend of both running and relaxing.  Not too long now until the joy of starting to taper!

My only challenge at the moment is to try and do a parkrun most Saturdays - got to 'train' for the North Beach one :) . Would you believe - I managed a muscle tear in the right quads on Saturday's PR. So, at the moment I'm finding getting up and down our staircase to be a minor challenge!  :/

Thinking of Comrades day, will anyone of you be able to give me a spare 'guest' wristband for the international area?
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Terry, you can certainly have my guest wristband! Hope the quad recovers soon and the parkrun training goes well!
  • Terry, sympathies for the quad tear - I hope it recovers quickly.

Saw several Comrades runners (none from this group) at the XNRG Devil's Challenge this weekend. I completed the 97 miles along the SDW, finishing over the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head, in a cumulative 18:27:46 for 22nd overall, 5th woman and 1st VW50! Had a great first day, a poor second day, and had to push on hard throughout today for that placing.

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Jan, thanks very much for volunteering your guest wristband.  I think you are also staying in the Belaire, so getting it to me should be easy.  Although I'm not running, I'm really looking forward to 'Comrades season' in SA again.
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear Terry, recover well and soon.
    Great result Debra and congratulations. Knowing those hills it must have been a tough finish.  But I expect you are more happy in knowing that you would have been under 24 hours for 100 miles.  You should have jogged around the car park for another 3 miles to record it on your GPS :-)
    I've not posted much these past 3 months as I've trained so little.  The achilles is finally improving after lots of physio and sports massages and rest (that's the hard part).  Had dry needling on my very tight left calf and I'm also considering a PRP injection to help the recovery.  I'll be there but woefully under-trained.  My cross training also includes sailing and I ended up in hospital on Sunday having my eyebrow glued together!  I changed direction the wrong way in strong winds and didn't duck out of the way of the boom in time. Running is less dangerous!  
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Wow Debra - great result there. Well done.

Mac3, You're still running a respectable pace and should be secure to finish well, even if not as fast as you'd hoped.  I hope your eyebrow is healing well.  What do you sail?  In my distant past I used to sail a Finn and really enjoyed it - managed to keep out of the way of that heavy boom!
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Debra, great effort. Well done from me as well.

Serene, good luck in the training.

Mac3, I am big fan of the dry needling and currently having it every 2 weeks in my back and legs just to stop my back giving me issues.  After losing Feb through sciatic nerve issues, I am now having needles for prevention just in case.

Congrats everyone on the long runs, can see some great stuff on here and on Strava.  I also did a long run on Saturday, so like Terry I just wanted to get to Durban now for Comrades season. 

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Peter - good to see it's working for you.  I wasn't sure about it but it's eased the tension and I'd read of positive results. 
    Terry - currently a Laser.  I'm following an RYA course and I'll have a few weekends in August in a cruiser off the Dutch coast.
  • jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Debra, that's a fantastic result! Must admit the thought of something that long does intimidate me a bit.

I'll have a spare wristband on the day as well in case anyone else is looking for one. 

This was a good preview video posted on the facebook page - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tddj-gx5Eao
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine won that Devil's Challenge.   He'll be back for his third Comrades this year.
  • Dannirr: yes, I recognised him as a Comrades runner - there were a few of us about (at least six including me, based on faces I recognised and Comrades shirts on display).
    Mac3, Terry, Peter, jkissane: thanks! I'm particularly pleased because for a while it seemed I wasn't making much progress in regaining fitness & speed after the cough and strained chest muscles.
    Mac3: I tried to get to Winchester parkrun on the Saturday, which would have made it up to 100 miles, but we failed to find it! I'll make it 100 miles on Comrades weekend.
    Can hardly believe I won't be in Durban with everyone this year. Good to hear of some good training going on.
    Terry: I still have that hotel booking - should I cancel it?
    If I order a wrist ID from South Africa (there's a Comrades charity donation and it has the Comrades logo on it) who is willing to have it sent to them at their hotel? (They won't send it abroad as they've had too many go missing).
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Debra, I'm happy for you to send the wrist ID to me at the Belaire.  I can mail it to you when I get home.  Please keep the room for the moment.  My friend, unbelievably, has still not decided on his itinerary.  I'll chase him regularly but please just keep an eye on the cancellation deadline (I think it's about 4 days before and I'll be watching that too).
  • Terry, thanks for that; I'll get the wristband ordered. And I'll hold onto the hotel booking at the moment...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Reporting in :) about to get some kip in Penrith, up early tomorrow to run home :) it's the Keswick to Barrow :) 40 miles of wonderful Lake District roads.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Have a great run lowrez. :)
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Nice one lowrez!

Good time on feet.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Nice medal Lowrez, if RR sponsor it, do they offer a car as a prize?
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Great run Lowrez, congrats. Taper time now?
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Stunning lowrez, great run :)
  • great run, lowrez - and thanks for reminding me about it (must run it some time).
    Slow recce run along NDW from Dorking to Caterham today, with lots of stops to take photos, as I did want to recce that section before the NDW50 next Saturday, but didn't want to push the running. A very relaxed run and a nice afternoon.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Sounds lovely Debra, hope NDW50 goes well next weekend!
  • Great run lowrez! and a nice medal to show for it. Good luck next weekend Debra. I've just about recovered from my mad long run (34M) on holiday last weekend, which consisted of 95% downhill running, some gradients >10% for loooong stretches. I felt worse than I did after last years Comrades, and could hardly walk for 3 days! Problem was the hills on holiday were just too steep to run up, hence the brainwave to catch a bus up and run down  :#. Then compounded my error by straining a groin trying to (very badly) demonstrate to Mrs M how to hit a left-handed golf shot with a right handed club on Friday! It hurts like hell on some movements, but can run on a treadmill OK so I guess its all fine relatively  :). We are nearly there folks.
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Nice one Lowrez!  Take it easy Max, golf can be dangerous!
  • Hi all. Great to see everyone is training and racing well.

I am sadly having to join the ranks of the sidelined. Post London I have just been absolutely zombified. I've had to adjust my Comrades training accordingly and I am sitting here taking the day off because I just cant do anything, let alone run.

Brain fog is stopping me from working, and dehydration. I assume this is just overtraining which is a shame given that some of your mileage makes mine laughable ;)

The next two weeks were kind of important to me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach things now. I was really just aiming to get mileage in but think at least a week off now will be neccesary (possibly more), but 5 weeks would be overkill. That said I also dont want to be doing heavy miles in the last weeks. Eurgh.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that things have been tough, Thomas.  I think that recovery at this stage is more important than mileage.  Rest, eat well and hydrate.  The training that you have already done will stand you in good stead and it sounds like an extended taper is what you need.  Certainly, don't try to lump a load of mileage on at the end of the month to try and catch up.