The Thousand Mile Club - 2019

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hey Matt! I'd say you do need a race in the calendar if motivation is a bit low. How are your injuries holding up?

Andrew - there seems to be a rash of posts about people falling over - loads on the running Facebook groups and of course JD. Careful out there, folks!

4 miles for me this morning - a short run for a Wednseday morning, but I have a 5 mile trail race this evening.

YTD: 650
  • PompeyMatt - good to hear from you - I agree with Cal Jones.

Here is the link I browse through to try upcoming marathons.

https://www.apex-sports.co.uk/document/item-64-2017-18-uk-marathon-listing
  • Mileage update - after the VLM and 10.48 mile recovery run yesterday my YTD = 912.38 miles
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Second run of the day - the 5 mile trail race on Wimbledon Common. Really rather tough, with lots of steep ups and downs, lumpy rooty ground, gravelly sections and all sorts. Calves are knackered and I managed to roll both my ankles, but finished in about 44 and a half minutes.
    Kind of fun, kind of awful. I'm already signed up for the next one.

YTD: 655
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Andrew.....Sorry about the trip! Hope you'll soon be back to full strength. (Thankfully, it was my arms and hands that got the worst of the damage, and the legs came off quite well, so that my running has not been affected too much.)
    P.Matt...Good to have you joining in again. Hope you get your focus back soon!
    Harmander...900+...!!! Love your 'recovery' runs...between marathons just one week apart!
    Cal...Well done on today's double. Your description of this evening's run makes me wince; my ankles don't thank me for that sort of treatment!
    A low-key celebration of my 75th today, with a 4' run on grass, with some mar.pace 800s. Not easy to hold back on this taper!
    YTD: 666'. 
  • Happy birthday MrM2!

1.5 9.19
    2.5 10.08

YTD 674.29 miles

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the club,Andrew,hope you're out running soon.

I'd definitely sign up for a race,Matt,might help you get your running mojo back.

Well done on your 900,Harmander,you're nearly there.

Happy birthday,MrM2 and good luck for Newport.

30.04 - 6.83

01.05 - 5.70

YTD - 561.02

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday, Mr M2! 75 - wow. I bet you hold some age group records at parkrun, no?
    Congrats on the 900, Harmander. 1000 soon!
    Rest day for me today.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    And a 6 mile recovery run this morning.

YTD: 661
  • 8.16 miles this morning

YTD 682.45 miles

• Afternoon,

Harmander, 10 Seconds, you need to have a word with yourself :D , Very well done indeed.

MrM2, Best of luck for Newport, look forward to the report.

JD1, Hope the bruising soon disappears

Andrew, Hope you are okay, what is going on with us lot?

Donnie, Yes being in the lead was mad, however there was only about 30 runners and some did half's and a couple did 50K, so only 14 marathon runners, I don't expect a repeat any time soon.

So this week has been full on at work, 3 days where I have been out of the house before 5am, coupled with the fact my is still very sore, and I am walking with a limp, my wife is currently calling me "Baptiste" from the BBC drama. 

I did get out for two short runs, but I think I need to see someone as this is now 8 weeks it has not been right.

29.04.19 - 4
    30.04.19 - 4

YTD = 437.25

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Aching, headache and a dodgy looking cold sore. Bit under par. 

4 and 2 on the treadmill and 5k on the road. Parkrun tomorrow, bit of an effort but don't like missing! 

Ytd: 367.4
  • Belated birthday wishes MrM2, My recovery run on Tuesday was followed by a taper run of 16.94 miles on Thursday
    David Charman, yes I know, am letting standards slip - but it is an improvement n being 19 seconds early last year.
    Parkrun sandwich of 10.19 miles today makes my
    YTD = 939.52 miles
    I will try to stop myself from doing an extra lap tomorrow at Gravesend as I don't want to add to my ultras total.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Donnie, careful of running your immune system down. Nothing good comes of that.
    Good running, everyone.

New Vaporflys got their maiden voyage at Pymmes parkrun this morning. They feel a lot bouncier than my Zoom Flys, and less hard under the forefoot.
    Ran my second fastest ever parkrun - 24:50 - so I seem to have recovered from Vienna now. It usually takes me four weeks after a marathon before I can perform well again.
  • Just double checked my figures because they did not look right and spotted i had missed adding the 14.17 miles last week.
    YTD = 953.69 miles
    Sorry
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Pre-Liverpool 20 miler done and dusted.

YTD: 674
  • Evening all, so no run yesterday as my new SUV was rear ended by a laborer in a pick up. We're all fine and too be honest there's the smallest dent in my bumper. Police came and judged the man to be at fault, he got the pink slip, I got the green. Pink means your fault and you get fined for causing an accident, black points and his insurance has to pay. His company might also sack him for this and return him to Pakistan. This isn't the first time this has happened to me and it's far too common. My Porsche Cayman was hit in 2013 so I've been through this before!

Was up at 0400 for work this morning so went out after getting home, only 3.13 miles but it was 41 degrees and I was tired.

Cal - check your miles, think you've counted short!

MrM2 - hope Newport went to plan, is this Newport in Wales or another Newport? I spent 6 months living in the holiday inn off the M4 many years ago, I vowed never to return to Newport. Hope that's not where you're from!! 

YTD 685.58 miles

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oooh you're right - 684 (that includes 3 miles for the parkrun yesterday which I forgot to include in my post). 700 soon!
  • 8.1 miles this morning, hopefully through 700 tomorrow.

YTD 693.68 miles

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just a brief visit; more details later.
    Thanks for all the birthday greetings and well-wishes.
    Newport, South Wales, Marathon was about as flat as they come.
    Very pleased (surprised) with my chip time of 4hrs 01:46 which gives me an Age Grading of 75%.
    A final taper-run of 3' on Fri. plus the 26' (26.3) brings me to 695' YTD.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great job, MrM2. Is that a GFA time for you?
    4 mile recovery run today, though I don't normally run on a Monday. Legs felt pretty good considering they've had a trail race, a fast parkrun and a 20 in the last five days.

YTD: 688
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM: great work at the Newport marathon. Looking forward to some more details. 

Cal: I followed your advice, steady at the parkrun and a further 3x5k indoors on a treadmill. 

Dubai: it can get sweaty at the gym, I really can't imagine running in the conditions you regularly do. 

I've a 10k on Wed 15th, pushing for sub 46 which would be my quickest 10k for 4 years. We'll see. 

Ytd: 379.8
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai...Sorry about your car probs..At least you can get someone to fix it, unlike my hand which still has a 'hole' in it after more than two weeks. And what can you do in 41c?!  Yes, Newport, S.Wales. It has had a significant past (rather like the guest house where we are staying!) but is showing signs of 'revival'...(probably too strong a word?)
    Cal...Another good parkrun result for you, and well done for getting in that 20' run. Kind words, but I don't think I hold any records at parkrun. You should see the times that the 70+ post around here; sub-21, sub-22, sub-23.....I do sometimes get a best in age-cat....depends who turns up! As for GFA..it is one of those adjustable filters...e.g. London is very generous, Boston less so, and Berlin...forget it!
    Harmander...out of sight man! Love the 17' taper!
    Donnie 2...all the best for next week's 10k.
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, I found it difficult to guestimate my marathon time. Taper was difficult with part in Sicily and then my fall (with parts still healing) and a cold which is still only 90% out of my head. The encouraging things were that my long runs had gone well, and my mara. pace miles in the final weeks seemed very comfortable. I did tell a couple of people that I hoped for about 4:10 (Actually I would have been disappointed if it was more) but I knew the legs wanted to run, and it was just a matter of whether the rest of the body was ready for 26.2'.
    Sunday morning, unlike Saturday, was sunny with a very light breeze. Pre-race temp was about 8c, but warmed up to about 12 by mid-day. Ideal for vest and shorts (and hat and gloves).
    There were four pens, and I was in the 3rd.. Squeezed in, between the 4hr and 4:15 pacers, but with no intention of really following anyone.
    Crossed the start line after 2mins. (just over 2000 runners) and the wide roads allowed everyone to find their own pace. Found myself running close to 9 min/miles, apart from one rough section with a hill, and the 13th mile where I made use of the conveniences. (and I had 2hrs without drink before the 9 o'clock start.) Half way at 2hrs and 20secs. Feeling good, but still not sure that I could keep it together for the 2nd half. Drinks stns. were well placed but I only took a swig or two of water (bottles) and didn't need their Lucozade sport-drink as I carried my own throughout. The miles kept ticking over and I could hardly detect a slowing of pace...until the last 3 miles where I lost almost a minute. half-splits were 2hrs 20 secs and 2hrs 1min 26secs. 5' splits: 45:02, 46:00, 46:12, 45:35, 46:44, (Garmin)
    Garmin measured 26.3'. Lots of open countryside, a few villages, and only the very start and finish in Newport. Patchy but enthusiastic support.
    Went for a 3' easy run today before having a good stretch; all OK.
    YTD:698'.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Well done,MrM2,fantastic race and time.You've really trained hard for it,nice report too.

Unlucky with the car,Dubai.I'm definitely not envious of those temperatures though,suppose it's very early runs or down to gym.

Good luck with the 10k,Donnie.

3.05 - 8.02

6.05 - 6

YTD - 575.04

• Well done MrM2! Hope the hand is getting better.

Temperatures are what they are, I'm not envious of running in the cold or rain. The body is amazing and adapts to the environment. It's just more important to run sensibly ie. slower and know where to get water, to drink and soak my visor in. I live in a large gated community with a few thousand villas, so we have nice paths and a few parks with trees, so sometimes there's a bit of shade. Humidity was high this morning and that's always worse.

So 7.16 miles this morning

YTD 700.84 miles

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    It’s been a while since I updated. 

Since my fall, I took a few days to be able to fully bend and bear weight on my knee but managed to get out again on Wednesday for 3 miles. Followed with 5 on Friday and 4 yesterday.

Up to 308 YTD now.

Too much to catch up on for everyone else, so I’ll just give a general ‘Well done!’ to all!
  • Dubai Runner - congrats on the 700 - it is worth 1400 of my miles in the conditions you run in.
    Cal - 20 pre-Liverpool (marathon presumably lol) - hopefully Liverpool will not be getting their 20th this season even though it pains me (as a United fan) to see the noisy neighbours (City) getting the Premier League this year.
    Enjoyed catching up with the earlier posts after the SVN Charity Challenge marathon on Sunday at Gravesend. I decided to 'just jog' o the lightening bolt course which is Traviss's sense of humour, it is my least favourite course - did it in 5:40:46 - including the six dodgy hole punching turn-arounds up the gravel hill into the car park - was happy with my rock steady and consistent 48 minute laps (plus the turn-arounds) - it was 4 minutes faster than the VLM paced run.
    My YTD = 979.91 miles.
    Aiming to get the 1000 during the training run on Thursday - ten days before Richmond Park marathon.
  • Well done to you too AndrewD on the 300
  • Glad to hear you're back out running, Harmander a mile is a mile and I'm far behind you!

7.64 miles this morning

YTD 708.48 miles

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Harmander - the marathon course does go to the footy grounds. I didn't realise how close together they were before I ran it two years ago. Last year we actually went through the Liverpool stadium but won't be able to this year due to a rugby event. However, I think we're going into Everton this time.

Andrew - glad you're back out there.

Dubai, congrats on the ton-up.

I was intending to run yesterday (especially as it was lovely weather) but I just couldn't find the energy. I guess last week caught up with me. Unfortunately that meant I had to go out in the rain today. I didn't mind it actually - I like the smell of vegetation when it rains, and it was still mild enough for a T-shirt. I did 8 miles at recovery pace, which is slow (11+) I hope I have my bounce back in time for Gatwick half on Sunday.

YTD: 696