Worst 10k resulting in collapsing

On Sunday I ran the Gear 10k in Kings Lynn. I've done a few 10ks before and have done a lot of training since October including a number of 10k runs.

I felt very prepared for Sunday's race and was really looking forward to it. I had a breakfast of porridge, had a banana about an hour before, coffee and then some jelly sweets just before I began.

The first two miles went fine, I was pleased with my pace. Then at 3 miles it all went wrong. I had to walk - I felt physically exhausted. From about 5k mark I began feeling a bit dizzy which gradually got worse. I had to walk quote a lot of times and made sure I had water when I got to the water stations.

From 8k I was really tingly and dizzy and still don't quite know how I finished. 

As soon as I crossed the line I collapsed into a marshall (always conscious) and ended up in the first aid booth hooked up to a drip.

I really can't put my finger on what happened. Weather was idea, I started of fairly fast but nothing more than I've done before. 

Whilst my time was still good (50:01) it left me feeling really deflated as I didn't enjoy the race at all.

Anyone else had a similar experience or have any idea what could have caused it. The paramedic and doctor said I was very grey and they were initially quite worried about me. An hour or so later I was exhausted but ok. 

Comments

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Impossible to tell over the internet - if you're worried you may need some blood tests to confirm.  Otherwise could be something like a virus which you didn't know about.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    I would go with JGav, virus or something which will be picked up by a blood test. No point self diagnosing see your pharmacist and they can advise on GP or not. 
  • sparkiosparkio ✭✭
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/TT">TT</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">I would go with JGav, virus or something which will be picked up by a blood test. No point self diagnosing see your pharmacist and they can advise on GP or not. </div>
    </blockquote>
    You think it's worth getting myself checked out rather than just putting it down to a random bad day?
  • How are you feeling now ?   That is really quite an extreme reaction to a run, so something is up.
    Do you do parkruns or any other races ?  How was the pace compared to training ? 
  • sparkiosparkio ✭✭
    @cougies stupider clone I'm ok but not 100%. I go to a running club once a week and we do a variety of runs, interval and speed training etc. My first 2 miles were about 7:30 pace which is quick but I've done that before so it wasn't stupidly quick. I haven't done a race for a while but run a couple of times each week and don't think anything I did was particularly different or unusual. 
    Going to go to the Dr tomorrow just to get checked over
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Good idea sparkio, most likely a bad race but might not be. Be really clear about your usual times, pace and recovery. Sometime I mention my pace and my GP has no ref point as he is not a runner. 
  • sparkiosparkio ✭✭
    I went to the GP this morning for a check up. They said they can't see anything to indicate what happened but the Dr thinks (reading the paramedic's notes) that it was hypoventilation. I have a problem with my nose and so I did use a nasal aid (SleepRight Breathe Aid Pack of 3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0076OIPZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_M5P0CbRNZ8N98) so that could have been a cause, although I have used it on one training 10k run.

That's all I can think of though. I've been given the all clear to run but told to just take it easy for a bit. 

The breathing aid is going in the bin!