Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Hi phronesis - I'll take that as an definite then 😁
    My first Paris I ran 4:31 but knew I could improve and targeted 4:00. 
    Second Paris I got 4:29 😂

Preferentials 

Red Pen  3:00 - 3:15
    Jimbob

Yellow Pen 3:15 - 3:30
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish

Blue Pen 3:30 - 3:45
    Eggyh73

Purple Pen 3:45 - 4:00
    Yer Maj
    Nells
    wheatism
    Pistol101
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis

Green Pen 4:00 - 4:15
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B
    Robbo1983

Grey Pen 4:15 - 4:30
    Orbutt

Pink Pen 4:30 and over
    maccazz
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    😀😂Thanks Orbutt. 
  • Phronesis: do it.

With another year’s training and the experience of this year, you’ll be well placed to do that.
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    Thanks DL Rob.  Very encouraging. I’ll probably begin a training programme in early December. In the meantime how much should I be running each week to be well prepared? 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    phronesis. Do you have any other races planned before Paris?
    Ideally, you would start your Paris plan with a good fitness base and a good way to do this would be to train for an autumn race, like a half.
    That way, you'd be guaranteed to be in good shape to start your plan.
    If you don't fancy an autumn race then just keep yourself ticking over during the summer with a couple of runs a week - no real distance needed, just keep your legs familiar with running.
    then as you get to October, maybe add another day to your week and build your fitness base in preparation for starting in December. Again, no need for major distance but pick your plan and see what week 1 wants you to do and prepare for that.
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    Thanks Orbutt. Great advice. Think I’ll aim for a 1.45 semi-marathon at the Redcar Running Festival on 29/9. 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great plan
  • Redcar Phronesis?  Are you a smoggie?

Im effectively a beginner runner again, so my plan is to start gentle stuff later this month and slowly build so that by 1st December I’ve ran 4 days a week, averaged 30 miles a week and done a couple of runs of 13/14 miles in the prior month.
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    I am DL Rob. Middlesbrough. (Don’t mention the football). 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Phronesis - If you can knock out a 1:45 half you’ll be in a great position to start training for a sub 4. In fact you’d probably be looking closer to a 3:50 based on that half time.
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    Thanks Egghy. I did manage a 1.50 for this year’s training. Think I can do better. 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    It would appear that the first wave of entries has now closed and the next wave doesn't open again until September.
    I haven't run for a while and I may be taking this down time a bit too easily. 
    I'm quite enjoying eating too much 😁
    I think I need to have a bit of a chat with myself
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Orbutt said:
    It would appear that the first wave of entries has now closed and the next wave doesn't open again until September.
    I haven't run for a while and I may be taking this down time a bit too easily. 
    I'm quite enjoying eating too much 😁
    I think I need to have a bit of a chat with myself
    Sounds like me for the past year or so Orbutt! I keep plotting my comeback, but them something crops up and suddenly it's Friday again and I've barely run but scoffed plenty of ice cream! The starts seem to be finally getting in line for me again though - finally a quiet work week ahead, weather is turning nicer and I'm hopeful that I'm germ free so fit and healthy. We can do this! #fistbumpemoji 
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    Might get some of these. I am a bit of a heel striker and it seems they help with that. MetaRide Asics. https://www.asics.com/gb/en-gb/mk/metaride?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx-yI7oGj4gIV47ztCh16BQkeEAAYASAAEgIuBfD_BwE
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Oh my word. HOW MUCH?
    Asics are never cheap but £225?
    If you get some I'd love to hear your experience.
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    I know - wow that price. 🤔!!  But on the other hand  if I am going to spend money entering the PM, getting there and a couple of nights accommodation in Paris, then maybe spending a bit more on getting the right shoes is reasonable. (And it seems you can get them for £180). 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I'm all in favour of getting the right shoes. Go for it.
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    I’m visiting London next week and will check them out at the ASICS store. I’ll let you know Orbutt. 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    That’s an expensive pair of shoes!

I’ve not changed the type of shoes I wear in years! Totally a creature of habit.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I've tried a few different shoes. I used to run in Brooks adrenaline but a few years ago they changed the sole and the heel started breaking down after about 150k - it would actually peel off the sole.
    I tried Hokas but they wore out too quickly too.
    I'm now running in Asics Gel Kayano and I'm happy with then - although they never seem to be as cheap as the Brooks and I am a bit of a cheapskate 😁
  • One mile completed.

I’m a runner again!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    DLR
    Running is like an addiction. You'll always be a runner there will just be gaps between runs.
    In this case though, it's a healthy addiction and the shorter the gaps the better.
    Well done. How did it feel?
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    DLR - Great news! I'm sure you'll soon be leaving us all in your dust again soon enough.
  • I'm waiting on whether or not I get into the London Ballot before signing up to this one. Has that worked for people in the past?
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Hi AnAussieRunnerinLon.
    You'll find lots of people are doing exactly the same - it's what I did.
    Paris isn't likely to sell out until well after the London ballot results but there is often a rush of entrants as people seek an alternative race.
    See you in October 😊
  • Been doing a bit of lunchtime running - once a week(ish).. 6k in about 30mins. Temperature getting warmer.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Robbo1983. That sounds quite speedy,  how does it feel?
    Are these fast sessions or an easy leg stretch?
  • > @Orbutt said:
    > Robbo1983. That sounds quite speedy,  how does it feel?
    > Are these fast sessions or an easy leg stretch?

Yeah it is fast. I enjoy it when it's over if you know what I mean! It's a nice route though, a loop down along the River Thames and then back.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Nice work. It helps having a nice route too.
    Most of mine are around side streets.

• PT_71PT_71 ✭✭
    Hello, new to the forum.
    I have signed up for 2020 and i was looking for any recommendations for accommodation
    This will be my 1st time running Paris, having done Manchester this year and Brighton & Amsterdam in 2017
    Any advice will be gratefully received
    cheers
    PT