London Marathon finishing times

Seems to be some issues with the London Marathon course closing before some people had finished. The BBC news website appears to be giving the story some legs.

Was surprised to see that there were pacers for hr6:30+ finish times and some people finishing at hr7:30+

Am I being mean to suggest that’s walking pace? One “runner” was said they were proud to have “run” the London Marathon in hr8:00!

Anyone have any thoughts?
Tagged:

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Given I walked the entirity of the Royal Parks half two years ago in less than 3 hours (I had a hip injury at the time so couldn't run) then yes, they are walking, and not particularly quickly.
    Whilst I do feel for the pacer and those she was pacing, I think London should tighten up its time limits so actual runners can get places.
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    I think you may be out of line with current PC attitudes, slower "runners" are to be encouraged, and if the VLM wants to have an 8hour pacer good luck to them, just perhaps they should tell the sweeper and route clearers their new guidelines.

As for actual runners Cal, sorry but that is a bit elitist. Any of us club runners can always run a marathon whenever we like, lots don't even sell out, i.e. Boston(Lincs), Halstead, both of which I'm attempting this year.

The VLM is different and as such we can't really judge it by usual runner standards - don't like it, don't run it.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It's not a case of don't like it don't run it - it's a case of never getting the chance to do it in the first place. The thing is, London is an Abbot World Major, so of course runners are going to want to do it. I'm also a Londoner, and I badly want to do my home marathon, but (like most people) I've never managed to get in through the ballot. One guy in my club, who is a good runner, but not good enough for a GFA, has failed 11 years on the trot. Another guy I know, who is overweight and not a runner, got a place through the ballot, didn't train, then took so long to limp around that he didn't even get a medal. While I admire his tenacity for getting through the course, he had no business being in that race.
    If people want to walk marathons, there are plenty of LDWA races.
  • It is very disappointing when those who are lucky enough to get a ballot place do not treat the race and the distance with the respect it deserves. That doesnt mean you have to run a sub 3 but at least put in a decent amount of work at your own level. I can fully understand your feelings Cal as from reading your posts on other threads, I know how much time and effort you invest in the sport. You are a runner through and through and should surely be rewarded by being able to run in the ultimate race.
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Yeah Cal, really I know how you feel, and no its not fair on us actual runners, but its London, they just do their own thing, and tbh its just a giant fun run with an elite race up at the sharp end!

But everyone wants to run LONDON, even if they have no hope of actually running all the way, its just the way it is, and very frustrating for actual runners.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    senidM said:
    Yeah Cal, really I know how you feel, and no its not fair on us actual runners, but its London, they just do their own thing, and tbh its just a giant fun run with an elite race up at the sharp end!

But everyone wants to run LONDON, even if they have no hope of actually running all the way, its just the way it is, and very frustrating for actual runners.
    Not everyone wants to run London, I hate it, just too crowded and too noisy for me.

If they tightened up on the time limits, thus excluding the current back of the field 7 hours etc, it wouldn't free up any places for entrants that want to run it at a faster pace, the limitations are on the number of runners that they can cope with at any one time through the finish/drink stations etc.   The course is already congested enough.
    Most of those at the back are also raising money for charity which apart from the elite race is what London marathon is all about and that is exactly what they want it to be.

If anyone really wants to run London they can, if they fail in the ballot or club draw then take a charity place and either raise the money or they can just fund it themselves, savings or a part time job or just careful budgeting to put the money aside.   
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Forgot to say that of course there's GFA entry too, achievable to some if they work for it.   My club is small but we have about 15% of our runners have GFA times, but only about half of them ran London this year.  Quite a few members don't run marathons, just stick to the shorter stuff
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I feel GFA (or if I'm lucky, a place from my club's ballot) is the only shot for me and I'm a way off that currently. I have no hope of raising thousands in charity amounts. I failed to hit my £300 for Royal Parks (I stumped up the remaining £70 myself) so no chance of me raising ten times that. I simply don't have enough contacts. Fair play to people who do, but it's not an option for everyone.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Hate to say it, but it's a running race, not a leisurely walk. Whatever they decide the cut-off time should be, it should be enforced, they shouldn't have people out on the course during clean-up or once the roads are re-opened. The marathon needs to have finished by that point.
  • Its definitely unfair for people who go into the event  intending to walk the 'race'   ...... taking places away from runners who desperately want to do it but can't get an entry.
  • Its definitely unfair for people who go into the event  intending to walk the 'race'   ...... taking places away from runners who desperately want to do it but can't get an entry.

nothing unfair about it at all.. Its designed for all and if the organisers say a 8 hour cutoff then its to include everyone who can make that cutoff...

As said above they are the fundraisers and it spreads the whole crowd out... Thats why its hard to get into the ballot if you are 4 hour runner. too many average Joes out there all around the same pace, not enough room on the course and drinks stations..... If they get a place they are as entitled to run or walk it however they want... If people are that worried about getting real runners who train into the marathon... then get training and get a GFA...becuase lest be honest,.. if you are a 4 hour runner you are just mr average the same as a 6 or a 7 hour runner... it doesnt make you more entitled... The crowds dont come out to see your sweaty arse.... they come out for the quick ones and the fancy dress ones and the ones at the back who represent them...
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Redbikejohn - but those that put say 7 hours as their finish time are not taking the place of a runner that wants to run in say 3 to 4 hours.

London has to try and spread out the finishers so that they can cope with the numbers.  Also a lot of those at the back are raising funds for charity.

London is a charity run with an elite race at the front, and that is what they want it to be.
  • Ok I see your point ref spreading the runners out. How do other major cities do it?  GFA times are now seriously quick. I still disagree that a Walker isnt taking a runners spot away cos clearly they are. I think finishers medals should be graded gold silver bronze iron then. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Shades - Are you implying that the ballot is weighted towards times? Or that London assume charity runners will be slower so that spreads the field out?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    StevieWh - we've always assumed that the ballot has to spread the successful ballot applicants across their predicted finish times and before the ballot went on line it was definitely easier to get a ballot place if you didn't put down the most popular predicted finish time which I think was 3:30 to 4:30. 
    Many runners that gain a ballot place then run for charity, I did that myself the first time I got into London.   The gold bond places will cover runners of all abilities, often unsuccessful ballot entrants will then apply to a charity for a place.

redbikejohn - how can a 7 hour entrant be taking a place away from say a 4 hour entrant?   They now allow more entries than ever and they've done that by having wave starts to spread the field out.   So they physically couldn't cope with number of starters if everyone put say sub 4 hour times.

Other big city marathons are also difficult to get a place, such as NY and now Berlin too has become harder to get a place too.

If a runner desperately wants to run London, then they can either work for GFA, club place draw or get a charity place.   It seems that runners think they have a right to take part in this event but don't want to put any effort in to achieve that. 

I would struggle to get anyone to sponsor me for a marathon as I've done quite a few.  I did my first marathon for charity although I had a ballot place as it's not difficult to raise funds if it's going to be your first marathon.   If I really wanted to run London I would save up for the charity money, maybe alter my annual budget so I can put some money aside, I could get a part time job, if I was desperate then I would find a way.

Luckily I don't have to do that as I've no wish to run London again.  Eleven years ago I took part in an event that required me to raise £2K before allowing me to take part, I pledged that I would pay any shortfall.  I didn't have a shortfall as I did raise that money and I did it because I really wanted to do that event, it was important to me.