Overdone it?

Comments

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yes although I still do occasionally heel strike I'd say the majority of strikes are midfoot. My coach commented that my form looked better from a video at the end of Manchester marathon so it must have improved! I really think the intensive calf work helped, the bent leg raises were done as 3 sets of maximum. So until I couldn't do any more!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny- Age-43, weight 11,3, 5k-18.20, 10k-38.18. half- 83.35, mara 2.57.56. I think my best wava will be my 18.20 parkrun at 42 yrs old.

It's quite clear from where my main gain has come where my focus has been since September 2017.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Throwback Wednesday!

Age-37

Weight 11,7

5K - 18:35

10k - 39:01

Wava - apparently is still the 100metres.

• kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Skinny.. great to hear, race day magic 6.30mm ;)  very little running. Hopefully new running style will help.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Ooh! An unexpected Skinny race report; how thrilling. However, I am a bit miffed that everyone (DT, Skinny) has been keeping their training secret on a training thread. Grr. Also I am a bit miffed that my 5000m time is listed as 19:00 when it was clearly 18:59:something. There's no point racing 5k on a track if not for those decimal places.

Skinny, I too am a natural forefoot striker so it feels weird to heel strike, but it also why I am so bouncy, as when running at easy pace I am doing lots of bouncing up and down. It is a bit like running on the spot, but going forwards a little bit. Boing! But my partner actually did re-learn to run on her forefoot (before we met) and what she did was go on a course with a bonkers barefoot evangelist, who trained her to do it. She now has no problems whatsoever with her running, other than not having time to do any, and can run 10 hilly miles in 84 minutes, which I think is pretty good. If you like I can find out who the bonkers barefoot guru is, somewhere in the north west though I think.

I have not done any running today as it is pissing down but more importantly because I was doing jury service. What this entails is hanging around reading your book in a waiting room until the defendants all decide to plead guilty after all and they send you home. I was expecting a slightly more interesting experience but am glad I paid attention to the instructions for jurors that reminded you to bring a book.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Exactly the same thing happened to me when I did jury service. Even more infuriating was when I finally got called into the court, sat down etc and just as they were about to start proceedings the defendant said something. We all got sent out again in to a tiny room for an hour or so before being called back in to the court to be told that we could go home as the defendant had changed their plea.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

Lit, just to confirm I never kept my training secret at all and routinely posted what I had been up to. I just didn't disclose that I was doing what someone else was telling me to do.

I'd hate to have to do jury service. Until a few years ago members of the legal profession were exempt. I think I would become quite irritated my people inevitably failing to understand things and forming opinions far too easily, when we are dealing with someone's liberty.

• All my training is open on Strava :)

It's pretty uninteresting, just tons of easy running and some fast races.
  • The London Marathon DNF experience

As I've noted on the thread things have been a bit up and down the past few months. Concussion and bruised ribs derailed the end of January and into the middle of February so I couldn't have a proper go at the Village Bakery half, nor really push mileage. The Village Bakery half was notable as it was well under marathon effort for a 6.19 min/mile average which left me feeling confident that the timeout for the ribs hadn't lost me too much fitness. 

Then followed what looked like being a decent end of Feb into March with a good mileage progression, 2x 18 miler long runs and Newport half. Admittedly that required a bit of easy recovery running for a couple of weeks until I did the Gloucester 20 at a canter (6:22 min/mile) well under marathon effort. 

Recovery from that appeared to be swift so I thought I'd like to have a crack at a half, entered Wilmslow half and promptly fell ill and had to cancel that. Another long run weekend went down the drain. After that combining more miles with a bug meant I had to take things pretty easily and I didn't run any of my usual tempo sessions for 3 weeks and missed a long run or two. I managed to reschedule my half attempt, running Solihull half but there was lingering fatigue and a consequent inability to sustain a true half effort. Still 5.57 min/mile for a little bit above marathon effort was encouraging. However I was then too tired to hit a long run the following weekend so set myself for a two week taper. 

Arriving at the weekend before the marathon I realised I'd completed 2x18 milers and 2x20 milers over the previous 3 months. Yeah, I know, not textbook stuff but average mileage was well up on previous marathon builds and I had a minor confidence boost turning out a decent 5k run. Then I did a couple of 3m marathon effort rehearsals, which felt rubbish at 6.25 min/mile and I had to come to a stop when they were done. Ever the optimist, I put it down to maranoia, and trusted that a few days of rest would put me straight.

London was the usual shock. Everyone up close and personal on the tube, then shuffling round the Expo. I didn't recognise anyone famous and wasn't tempted by the Travelator challenge.  Registration was done, followed by a quick bit of food and drink tasting round the expo, then off for some scran and back to the hotel room for feet up time.

I slept like a log, breakfasted half heartedly, and set off to the race. It all went pretty smoothly until the change for Blackheath where the train became absolutely rammed. Pass the time 'chatting' to an Italian bloke via Google Translate on my phone (about his 100km race exploits) then realize I've squashed a gel in my short pockets and it's now leaking. Sticky arse situation. Into the start area, and bumped into a couple of lads from the P&D thread in the toilet queue. Dropped DT a message but he was nowhere to be seen though one of the cubicles was occupied for ages.

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Chatting with the P&D guys I am conspicuously shivering and I join one of them at the back of the start pen as the race start approaches. Lots of hubbub as the elite athletes are introduced and I can crane my neck to just catch them all on the big screen. Bump into a lad from Birmingham that ran an amazing sub 2.45 in Paris a few weeks earlier and we start together, though he soon zooms off.

My race plan is simply to see how it feels, since I didn't feel good in the holding area and on my rehearsal runs. I weave a bit through the crowds and about a mile in and I'm pouring with sweat. A mile later and I'm cold. The downhill mile swoops by and I'm still feeling crappy and catch my lap pace as being over 6.30 min/mile which doesn't quite tally with what I think I should be capable of, nor what the effort feels like. The support is incredible and I make it to 10k well over 40 mins.  This is pretty far out: my marathon effort tempo runs usually come in between 38 and 39 mins for 10k on a hilly route. 

I keep going but at 8 miles I've got the shivers again and think I probably should stop. I feel quite conflicted about the situation doing a bit of maths: 4x10k in 40 mins = 160 mins + 2k @ 4 mins each would still be pretty good time if I could keep it up and do a little catching up to the half way mark. I give it a little push but the only response is that I feel pretty hot and bothered right away. Again the support is massive through this section, though I am being tracked by someone dressed as Mr Incredible, and he's drawing _all_ the cheers. So it continues for each mile, feeling tougher and tougher and I get slower and slower. Passing through half way in 1.26 confirms what I knew. I cruised through a half pacing DT in mid Feb in 1.23-ish, well under marathon effort and here I should really be at my peak fitness, not struggling for a 1.26 half.

The question becomes: can I get round ? Ok so down I go to long slow run pace to see whether that makes me feel better. A mile or so later confirms it doesn't make any difference, so I decide to limit the damage and call it a day. The only question is how to get off the course inconspicuously. There are barriers and spectators deep behind the roadside barriers on my right. The only other way out is to hop the barrier on my left but I can see the elite women coming in the opposite direction and see the lady that staggered over the line coming towards me. She looks wan and appears to be suffering immensely. I really can't go over that barrier and find myself on the telly for all the wrong reasons. So I carry on until I reach Canary Wharf near 15.5 miles and spot a gap in the barriers manned by a marshall, opposite the St Johns Ambulance station. 

I explain to the marshall there's no catastrophe, but I don't want to complete the race and I need to get back to the start to collect my bag. He doesn't know what to do but points me to the nearest tube station, nor does he know the tube where the baggage drop off can be reached (for future reference people: it's Charing Cross or Green Park). I wonder if the St John's people have been briefed on this situation and wander over to ask them. There's a tiny African guy huddled in a foil blanket there that gives me a nod and a glum look, which I return.  

The St John's people tell me Green Park is closest to the finish so I head off to take the DLR to Bank and start to take in what happened. As I'm mulling things over on an up escalator, someone comes past on the down escalator and points at me laughing and say "look he's cheating!" which hurts me a lot more than it really should and I get a bit of a bottom lip quiver on. I am highly conspicuous in a bright orange vest and short shorts with a sticky patch round the arse and I realise I can expect much more of this. So with each tube change I enter the carriage and breezily announce "I'm just taking a shortcut!". It's ok though as only the northerners down south understand me.

Off at Green Park and there are a lot of people that congratulate me as I walk through the park to find my way to baggage. I learn to spot them and start shaking my head before they can get the words out. I can hear the cheers and tannoy from The Mall but no sign of baggage. A map in the park shows I have to trudge all the way round back where I came from. Eventually I find a main road and can see a runner in a foil blanket up ahead. I catch him up and joke that I didn't get a bloody blanket, and is he going to the baggage area ? He is ! So I follow; it's all done in a contemplative silence. There are a few people at the tiny seated area for DNFers, all looking extremely down in the mouth as they wait for their bags. I exchange a few of what I hope are sympathetic looks but nobody really says anything to each other and there's a whiff of embarrassment in the air - it's how I imagine the waiting room of an STD clinic might be. I get my bag, get into some warm gear, trudge off to Charing Cross, smiling wryly at the runners already going down the stairs into the tube at a rate of one step per 30 seconds. That could be me next year, it really could be!
  • So I had my health review and blood test results back - those that were done in taper week. One red flag was raised on serum Iron, and that was that it higher than normal. Similar symptoms of weakness and fatigue listed for both low and high levels of iron. I've read and asked around and a higher reading can be expected for athletes, but will get it checked out.  Also I had a low platelet count which can be a marker for a viral infection, so I'm pretty sure I was far from firing on all cylinders leading up to and during London, and totally made the right decision.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

So, pulling out of vmlm sounds pretty difficult. You can sort of see how some just cut a big chunk out and wander across the line and get caught up in the whole medal thing.

No doubt the right decision, Muddy and something you wouldn't have made easily. I'm not sure I could do it and would probably beast myself to then end.

• Okay Muddy - my conclusion from reading your report is that we need more DNF race reports on this thread - I think you captured the shame element perfectly.

It's obvious from reading through that you made the right decision and hopefully you can get to the bottom of the issue and get it sorted ASAP.

Amusing that your HM time in the first half of a marathon where you were running a fever is still 1:26!!

• literatin said:
    Ooh! An unexpected Skinny race report; how thrilling. However, I am a bit miffed that everyone (DT, Skinny) has been keeping their training secret on a training thread. Grr.

Yes I was a bit embarrassed with solution number 983 to my foot problem.

Based on all the advice I've received since mentioning I should have come out sooner about being a front footer.

literatin said:
    Also I am a bit miffed that my 5000m time is listed as 19:00 when it was clearly 18:59:something. There's no point racing 5k on a track if not for those decimal places.

We had this discussion at the time - I won coz I keep the spread sheet.

literatin said:
    Skinny, I too am a natural forefoot striker so it feels weird to heel strike, but it also why I am so bouncy, as when running at easy pace I am doing lots of bouncing up and down. It is a bit like running on the spot, but going forwards a little bit. Boing! But my partner actually did re-learn to run on her forefoot (before we met) and what she did was go on a course with a bonkers barefoot evangelist, who trained her to do it. She now has no problems whatsoever with her running, other than not having time to do any, and can run 10 hilly miles in 84 minutes, which I think is pretty good. If you like I can find out who the bonkers barefoot guru is, somewhere in the north west though I think.

North West Scotland or North West England? I live in North West England! 

Also I'm not really struggling that much with it other than it's new and my soleus don't like it.

literatin said:
    I have not done any running today as it is pissing down but more importantly because I was doing jury service. What this entails is hanging around reading your book in a waiting room until the defendants all decide to plead guilty after all and they send you home. I was expecting a slightly more interesting experience but am glad I paid attention to the instructions for jurors that reminded you to bring a book.

The littlest Miss Skinny starts hers on 1st July (last summer holiday before starting work and she has to spend it doing jury service - just shit) - I'll advise her about the book. She'll probably pick a less high brow one than whatever you are sitting there reading though!

Apart from today are you running again?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Oh that's right, for some reason I always imagine you on the other coast even though we go through Carlisle every time we go to visit S's parents and I think about all the fruit-loving accountants there must be there. Anyway I think it was in the Lake District and she quite enjoyed it despite the bonkersness. I don't just read highbrow books you know. However today I was reading Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, mainly for work reasons. In any case, the book advice is essential - there were some people in that waiting room with literally nothing to do, and several playing with their phones. Also I would advise bringing some snacks and perhaps a flask of tea, as there was just a water cooler and I don't think they'd have fed us anything unless we'd been selected for a jury and the case went on past lunchtime. I got peckish at about quarter to eleven though and was glad I'd brought some biscuits.

I've been doing a little  bit of running - up to 8ish miles at a lovely gentle pace, and I keep promising to go back to training with my group but haven't got round to it yet. Also I've been doing pilates again at the village hall down the road. The teacher loves my dog much more than she loves me, and there is another woman with the same name as me (but a differently-named dog) so we get called by our dogs' names in class.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    No race report for literally days and then two come along at once! 

Think stopping was def the best call, Muddy. You clearly weren't right. 

Well done on the stealth race, Skinny. I think that was faster than my PB so still not the shortest person on the thread.

Funnily enough, no PBs for me but I have increased my age by two years to 40. And my weight by one whole stone. Winner! 

I did a light interval session today at lunchtime in the pouring rain (definite mascara incident). Light as racing on Sunday. So I did 4 x 800m. Fairly happy with the ave pace. 6:22, 6:15, 6:13, 6:12 considering the last bit was slightly uphill. And felt ok afterwards. 
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Rapid as ever McF!

Skinny - for the spreadsheet update: my marathon is now 2.50.44; 5k/parkrun 17:00; 10 mile is 58.18.

I hope I don't have to darken the thread with a DNF report again ! I have something of a plan for the Autumn now. It involves targeting the Hull half on June 2nd, which DT kindly informs me is also an England vets team qualifier (top 4) with the team race taking place within the Maidenhead half on Sept 1st. It would be nice to qualify and do that race in the build up to Hull Marathon on 22nd September. In between, I have Market Drayton 10k this Sunday and fancy the Speedway 10k in June a couple of days before my 49th birthday but will see how the Hull recovery goes.
  • McFlooze said:
    I think that was faster than my PB so still not the shortest person on the thread.

I did a light interval session today at lunchtime in the pouring rain (definite mascara incident). Light as racing on Sunday. So I did 4 x 800m. Fairly happy with the ave pace. 6:22, 6:15, 6:13, 6:12 considering the last bit was slightly uphill. And felt ok afterwards. 

shortest?

Lovely thread conversation continuity.

Sounds like a nice pre race session - what are you racing at weekend?

• literatin said:
    Anyway I think it was in the Lake District and she quite enjoyed it despite the bonkersness.

I've been doing a little  bit of running - up to 8ish miles at a lovely gentle pace, and I keep promising to go back to training with my group but haven't got round to it yet. Also I've been doing pilates again at the village hall down the road. The teacher loves my dog much more than she loves me, and there is another woman with the same name as me (but a differently-named dog) so we get called by our dogs' names in class.

So can you get the name from 'S' so I can at least google it please.

Pleased that you've been running - in your pilates class presumably you do a downward facing literatin? I stopped going to pilates early last year when I had a bad shoulder and never gone back although I still dabble at home with pilates and yoga stuff that I learnt whilst I was going to classes.

• It involves targeting the Hull half on June 2nd, … In between, I have Market Drayton 10k this Sunday and fancy the Speedway 10k in June a couple of days before my 49th birthday but will see how the Hull recovery goes.
    So are you already recovered from your virus? Good stuff.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Haha, should have typed "slowest".  I don't think I'm the shortest on the thread, that much hasn't changed.  

It's the Cotswolds Hilly 100 this weekend - 100 mile relay race with approx 10 mile legs.  Always a fun day out but I'm back on the Ladies A-team and feeling like I need to justify my place, or at least not be shit, so a bit of pressure.  I'm jointly Captaining as well so will be out supporting/trouble-shooting for most of the day.  

Good to see you running again, Lit!
  • Attached updated.

Please check your ages and weight ;-)

The Pof10 WAVA check produced some changes as the 5k seems to have been regraded upwards and 10k downwards. I ignored the Pof10 best WAVA if it was some random distance like 7.6miles (DT) or an NAD (Lit).

McFlooze has lost her silver cell for being lightest to Pete unless Pete has been eating a lot of donuts.

• Thanks for the updates Skinny - 12st for my weight,190cm on height ;)

I am not quite there on recovery. I've done a few short runs and found some went smoothly and others were a slog and been waking up with a headache. It's only a 10k though on Sunday so fairly easy to jog it out if need be.

I took a look at my London pictures last night. I look like a ghost.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Cheers Skinny.

I've remembered that I ran a 800m race last year in 2:26. My mile PB is also much quicker than shown on the table but it was run on the road not on a track so assume that doesn't count.  

• Tommy2D said:

Cheers Skinny.

I've remembered that I ran a 800m race last year in 2:26. My mile PB is also much quicker than shown on the table but it was run on the road not on a track so assume that doesn't count.  

As there is no other home for a mile PB I'm happy to stick it on the Track tab if you let me know what it is.
  • Great read that muddy.  Clearly something wasn't right and you made the correct decision.  As you said in your initial post after the race, there will be other opportunities. 
  • Great read that muddy.  Clearly something wasn't right and you made the correct decision.  As you said in your initial post after the race, there will be other opportunities. 

Happy to add your PBs to the TTT - just need your vital stats as you will see from the table.

Happy to add your PBs to the TTT - just need your vital stats as you will see from the table.

Ooh I do love a spreadsheet.  Thanks for including me :smile:

Age - 35
    Height - 5'11
    Weight - 11.5st
    5k - 19:14
    HM - 1:31:02
    1M - 6:04

Cheers Skinny.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Skinny. Good to see it back and up to date. I suspect it won't need updating at the same frequency as it did back in the day, especially now that prizes aren't being added.
  • Table with DH added - Mace moves up to the top table (where he eats and plays pool) and loses all his silver cells which mainly go to DT although Pete picks up best WAVA and DH is now the youngest active thread member.

DH goes right to bottom of table despite some encouraging times because he has not run a 10k race and 10k times determine the order. Got one planned soon DH? I'm guessing it will be close to 40 mins when you do one.

I'll add your mile to the track times once I get Tommy's.

Also unless you are using a cunning pseudonym I don't think you are on Power of 10 so haven't got a best WAVA for you - I could work it out from your age and times but can't be arsed.