Snowdonia Marathon 2019

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    blimey insideforward that must have been worrying!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    IF, that must have been several months of finger nail chewing. As the doc says crack on it must be a good sign.

Ran 2 days on the trot. Think that's a 1st for me so far this year. 3.5m @ 07:50 yesterday (off road, 100' ascent per mile) and 10.5m today, (road 100' ascent per mile). In North Pennines for a few days. Big country round here. 
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Great going there, Chimney!  The longest I've run on the trot has been 34 hours.
    Likely to be beaten during SNOD 2019 ...
  • Was a worrying couple of months. Time to get back on it.
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Very good TR, so when I say 2 days on the trot I may not mean 48 hours....😉

Hazard a guess at 6 laps? Or maybe 7 🤔

Day off yesterday driving home along mostly single track roads across the Pennines, Dale's, Peak, from Hadrian's Wall to Chesterfield. Much better views than main roads, though a tad slower.

On one road, within 10 secs of Mrs C saying I hope we don't meet anyone (The dry stone walls were inches from each mirror) we came across two ladies, one pushing the car, who had broken down. 

Mrs C decided helping them to push the car was the better option to reversing a half mile back around many blind corners to a gateway. 

Think I may take Foxy up on the moors for a trundle today.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Well, I've got a bit of a plan for 5 marathons.  They're not all full laps necessarily, although I will be staying on the course throughout. I'm looking at one lap before, then SNOD, and then three out-and-backs afterwards totalling 78.6 miles.
    The mathematically-minded among you will notice that this involves climbing up to Bwlch y groes eight times in all.
    More on this later.
    How is everyone?
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Morning Mr T.

As always, mostly good.

Best wishes for your plan. Does Mrs TR know?!

Did the Peak version of Race the Train yesterday, 7 miles on a flat gravely track.

Did the first mile with a friend from work @ 06:48 then dropped back to another friend to help pace them to beat the train, (7 miles in 56 mins). Did so by couple of minutes. Helped by the train taking 2 minutes longer than advertised. 

Think I ran backwards more than forwards in the last half mile checking for the train.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Trex, did you not do that a few years back when I ran it? or two lots of it?
    My running has been very low this week, need to up the ante!
    Chimney I think the race the train sounds good
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    2016 double
    2017 double
    2018 quad attempt - only managed 100.2 miles
    Got a nasty little toe injury at the moment.  The entire toe blistered during the Taunton marathon and I thought all the skin had reattached but, no, now I have a strange lift the flap feature whereby the top of the toe hinges backwards including the whole nail assembly.
    Mrs T Rex, who is a nurse, said if this injury was on an old lady's bottom she would be very worried.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    wow tr, honestly amazing!
    I have a toe issue, a stiff big toe that causes no end of grief on the longer runs.  I am having a long slow build up to SNOD this year to try and sort it
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    TR I just re read you post, that sounds awful!!!!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    T Rex, Iron Maiden & Metallica - check out Hawkins' marathon playlist
    (BBC Sport, Get Inspired)

Callum, you're the man!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Section of toe came right off recently, along with the entire nail embedded in the middle of the piece.  Surprisingly normal looking underneath!  Just an extreme blister, really.
    Sadly my Malvern Hills ultra on Saturday coming has been cancelled over a mix-up with the booking of the race venue.  Feeling a bit unfocused now with no races planned until August when I have three, none of which I have entered yet so I had better get cracking.
    What are folks up to?
  • brer rabbitbrer rabbit ✭✭✭
    Well hello Snodders. Great to see some familiar names on here. Life been manic in my world..changed jobs and am now a caravan site warden on a park in...Waunfawr :) I get to wake up to the sight of Bwlch Y Groes every day! Only done 10 marathons this year so slacking a bit!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    ouch tr!
    hi brer, I'm trying hard to get my  mileage up but life gets in the way.  Just found out my brother has a surprise 60th on the day of Snod!

• Hello all. Good to see people are keeping themselves busy!

Shame about the Malvern Hills Ultra TR. What are the three you have planned for August?

BR That sounds like the perfect job for a Snodder! Plenty of hill reps ahead of this year's event then.

Wabo, that's poor timing from your brother.

I have the first marathon of this year at Worcester a week on Sunday.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    At the moment LG I will be running a marathon... they told me too late!
  • Exactly what I would have said Wabo! 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Party will have to be moved to Llanberis, Wabo!
    Wonder what you'd been up to, brer.  Is that a good central location for marathon and ultra running??  Good for training!!  I'm jealous.
    Aug 2019: Mendip Marauder 50, (Brecon) Beacons 50, and a surprise event at the end of the month ...  Can't quite bring myself to mention just yet.  I booked the accommodation long ago so I suppose I've got to do it now ...
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Morning folks, 
    TR, that toe injury sounds horrific! I shouldn't be surprised it hasn't stopped you though...😊

Wabo, family eh? See you in Llanberis 😉
    Is the toe issue an old friend or a recent development?

LG, enjoy Worcester. There's some wonderful country round there, presume they make the best of it with the route?

Brer, Waunfawr? Is that cheating 😁 

North Lincs half last Sunday. On the club GP otherwise I'd never have done it. About 5" of ascent over the whole route! Got bored, stopped at water stations to chat, the last mile was a minute faster than the rest as I'd had enough by then. I really prefer a bit of up & down. Bring on Snod. 1st leg of Spire Ultra Saturday, 1700' ascent over 10 miles definitely comes under the definition of hilly. Holymoorside 10k Sunday. Haven't done it before, it's only got one hill. A friend who did it last year took 2 minutes off his 5k PB on the way down. We won't talk about the up. Out with a friend & Foxy yesterday, (She's got a place at Snod. Mrs C and I are staying with her and her extended Family in Bangor), 10.5 miles with 1500' ascent on muddy tracks in the rain. One of my most enjoyed runs so far this year.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Chimney the toe had been developing and it causes the right foot to get tingly and quite uncomfortable as the miles get into double digits. 
    I'm a very happy spurs can this morning! 
    Families indeed this is going to be tough. If my  training fails because of the toe I guess I'll party. But I do not want to miss snod
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    I'm happy for there to be two English teams in the final. As an Arsenal supporter, I wish liverpool every success.....😉
    I hope you can figure out what's wrong and if it can be fixed, or got around. I have a similar issue with my neck. After a few miles you'll see me pulling my chin to my chest to stretch it. If I don't do it quickly or often enough I will be in tears. 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Chimney, I am working on it.
    Well I will be supporting Arsenal if they meet Chelsea in the final, make  no mistake! I like the sound of two English teams in both finals
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Morning all, 
    Spire Ultra, 34 mile trail route round Chesterfield was yesterday. As I was looking around at the briefing I saw a face, Hello to Britnick! Didn't get much chance to chat and I was off ahead at the start. Good to catch up with him.
     I did it in a team of 3, perhaps the whole thing next year......I'd walked my leg with Mrs C last week and knew it was going to be hard running it. Surprisingly it was a lot easier than I thought. Was going to wear roadies but with the weather we had wore trail. Very good choice, would have been Bambi on ice! Could have gone faster but wanted to save something for a hilly 10k today. Legs this morning say I didn't save enough! 10.5m 1500' ascent 1:43, happy enough with that. Passed to our second runner 30 seconds behind the 2nd placed team. The 1st placed team had gone through several days before, their aim was to go sub 4 hours (Did 3:58). At the second change we were 30 seconds ahead of the next team. At the finish both 3rd leg runners came in together, Our last leg runner went wrong, when he got back on route and found their 3rd runner he was struggling so they kept together. Great event, well run, friendly, camaraderie, and on my doorstep.
    Think today will be one of my slowest 10k's ever.....
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    Yay! I am finally back running again! (Long story)
    I've still to find accomodation for this year's race though...
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    chimney that sounds tough!
    Jasond2 hi 
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Hi JD, good to be back in the saddle.

Wabo, it was. The 10k the following day was Holymoorside. Has about 800' ascent in it, just the one hill. Legs really didn't want to get moving going up. By the time I got to the top all they wanted to do was get down again. 20:35 for the 5k very much downhill, 49:39 total.

Done nothing since, just a couple of bike rides, 25m & 15m. 

Asken 10k tonight, practically flat but don't think the legs have recovered fully yet!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    goodness me Chimney! I know how my legs would feel after a 5k descent, quads ouch ouch
  • Hello forum - what's the best way to try and secure a transfer entry down the line?

Whole family's staying up in Snowdon that weekend and turns out 3 managed to secure entries when it opened and now I'm feeling left out :-(
  • The best (only?) way is to keep an eye on forums like this and also on the Snowdonia Marathon Facebook page - quite a few offer their places on there, usually from around end of August. It's just a matter of jumping in quick when they come up. I think the deadline for transfers is end of September.