Overdone it?

Comments

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    5.22 is my current mile PB. I ran a mile in 5:11 before but it was in a straight line and wind assisted so doesn't count.
  • Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Track times updated - 5:11 sounds super fast!!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ok, I can't get younger, taller or down to 10,1 but I feel that wava cell is in sight. I'll probably do it by running a 37.46 10k!!!
  • I'll get on and book a 10k race pronto. Sub-40 is on I reckon based on a recent effort. 

Not using any other names as far as I'm aware.  I did sign up to runbritainrankings but having troubles accessing my account.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I'm 37 Skinny. Also I am a bit less skinny than I used to be, but I don't weigh myself so I don't know by how much. Probably about 9st 7? Obvs I have won more medals and stuff since then, but you've eliminated one of the only categories I'm still winning.
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Great to have the TTT back!  Sadly, I am now 66 and 10st 4 so I suspect I have just borrowed McF's silver cell for a week or two.
    Even though it's all relative, I'm sad to see a lower wava score.    Maybe it will give me some much-needed motivation.

• literatin said:
    I'm 37 Skinny. Also I am a bit less skinny than I used to be, but I don't weigh myself so I don't know by how much. Probably about 9st 7? Obvs I have won more medals and stuff since then, but you've eliminated one of the only categories I'm still winning.

Come on pudge - you were never skinny.

Yes I was sad to remove that line, particularly when I remember the joy at finally getting something for myself to put on it, but it's so out of date that it's meaningless.

I tried to guess everyone's age from when they moved categories on Pof10 but I did you first and I think I refined it down to individual races for the later people. 

• PeteHew said:
    Great to have the TTT back!  Sadly, I am now 66 and 10st 4 so I suspect I have just borrowed McF's silver cell for a week or two.
    Even though it's all relative, I'm sad to see a lower wava score.    Maybe it will give me some much-needed motivation.

Updated.

Well McF - two pounds to lose for a silver cell - the TTT Diet Plan. >:)

• I thought I'd post about my first ever session on a track last night.  Ladywell Arena in south-east London.

Arrived home from work at around 6pm feeling rather tired and not up for going back out.  I convinced myself that this wasn't the attitude and pulled my running gear on.  Just as I stepped out the door my wife came in holding a huge bag of food.  "Bugger", I thought.  Still, I said goodbye and off I went (turns out this was all food for our guinea pigs anyway).  

One minute down the road and the heavens open.  Brilliant.  I should have stayed in and ate kale.  I get to the track after a two mile jog and pay a couple of quid to the chap behind the desk.  I find somewhere to dump my stuff and do some light stretching whilst scoping out who else was around.

It soon becomes very apparent that there are some very talented runners...no, athletes here and I feel like I am somehow interfering by being on their track.  I crack on and start my session - 10 x 400m off 90 seconds rest @ 5:38m/m average.  Felt OK throughout and I tried to focus on running tall and some type of form as this was probably the fastest I've run apart from strides.

Despite my feelings earlier about being out of place there was a huge amount of respect for those on the track.  Runners would move over and coaches would shout out warnings to his group on the odd occasion I past them.  I did the same whenever I was resting and stepped off the track.

When I was done I took a seat in the stands to grab some water and get my hoody on.  A chap came over and we had a quick conversation (he was training a group of sprinters).  He asked me if I had any goals in mind and whether I was already part of a club.  I explained that I'd like to crack 18 mins for 5k later this year and that I wasn't.  

Turns out Ladywell arena is home to Kent AC.  I chose a good night to turn up as on a Tuesday there are over 200 people using the track.  I had a quick look at their website and saw some of the athletes that had come out of and still train at Ladywell and was immediately humbled.  With a 19min 5k time I would just about make their B team. 

I'm going to go down a few more times and then perhaps look at signing up.  I think it's the next step to getting faster because whilst the training has gone well up until now I have had nobody to chase.  I am also lacking important aspects of training such as strength work and drills.

Great experience though and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Club sessions can make the hard component of training a lot easier David. Well worth joining up. I just have one to chase at my club, but it makes it so much easier than doing a session solo. I like to think I make the hard sessions easier for others too ;)

@PhilPub runs for Kent  AC I think. Am I right Lit ? I've not seen him posting for a while but he could pass on further details to you David if he's about.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Yes that is PhilPub's club. It's good to be part of a big club as there will always be people at around your level, even if they do have some superfast people too. Also they have a flattering navy blue vest.
  • I do like the look of their vest :smile:

Thanks for the encouragement. 
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    You know the friend I mentioned who ran 2.27 at London?  Also Kent AC.  They are a very big but also very good club I think.  As you say real depth of talent so I'm sure they'd bring you on!  If you're training there anyway you might as well.  
  • Thanks.  I will :smile:

Victoria Park 10k booked for 16 June.  I bet it'll be baking hot.
  • Good stuff David.

Also if you pass someone towards the end of the race you will have the pleasure of hearing them mutter under their breath in a southern accent 'Fkn Kent'.

Mace is down that way too??

I had my massage this lunchtime - OWWW OUCH OWWWW - got more massachism planned for same time next week. He stuck to his thumbs this week but is considering elbows for next week.

:'(

• haha!  I'm hoping wearing a club vest will have the same effect as race day magic....  actually er, let's not go there.

Two years ago I qualified as a soft tissue therapist Skinny so whilst I do feel your pain I am also usually the one dishing it out.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Local 10k today. About my 7th time running it. Did 39.46 last year for my course pb. Very hilly course, 460 ft of elevation gain. 

Came in 39.03 for 6th place but only 5th v35! It's usually 3 weeks after London but this year just 2 so not fully recovered i wouldnt think. 

Bodes well for what i might be able to do on a flat course later in summer. 
  • Market Drayton 10k for me. Still not quite out of the woods and feeling tip-top  but  I felt that I needed to get a race out. Lovely hot day for it too! The first half of the race went really well and I felt I was running pretty smoothly and comfortably but the course started to undulate in the second 5k and this wore me down and there was a bit of fade in the last couple of miles.

I finished 9th overall in 35.23 and won 1st v45. A nice surprise was that the race was started and the prizes handed out by Kelly Sotherton. I never knew when I started running I'd be mingling with so many Olympic athletes :D !
  • Well done both - excellent times when neither of you are in peak condition.

Talking of peaks (and mainly for Pete) I went up Fairfield from Bridge End yesterday (about mile from Patterdale) up the Deepdale valley. I set off at 10am on a dream day and didn't see a single soul until I got up to the ridge. Bit of a climb with not much of a path up to the ridge but a much better way to see all the Fairfield crags than doing the traditional horseshoe route and obviously way quieter. Went back down via St Sunday Crag. Beautiful walk and the panoramic views from the top were amazing however here's a photo I took on way there as Ullswater was like a mirror.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done, Muddy, solid time. Decent prize?

That's a stunning picture, Skinny. We have something similar from when we were in Slovenia at Lake Bled.

Some mile soreness today so will just spin tonight.

• It's a shame lake did not extend slightly further towards me as the fell and reflection are almost perfect if you rotate 180 degrees so it could have been a perfect mirror image.
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I won an elite entry into next year's race DT, so that's worth around £21 I think (same as a non elite entry :) )

That looks gorgeous Skinny. I wandered round some woodland trails post race and still managed to burn my bonce.

Video from the the finish - https://youtu.be/wfftKgNe4kE?t=97 less gorgeous
  • Nice video Muddy - don't fast runners run fast!!
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I was just thinking that when I watched it Skinny - it looks like I dawdled to the line but the last 400m was 5.25 min/mile.
  • Good video Muddy
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Well done, DT.  Bodes well for the summer.  And nice prize, Muddy.  

It was the Cotswold Hilly 100 relay race yesterday for Lou and I.  A little bit stressy on Saturday as at the last minute our leg one runner reported she was injured so I had to ring around finding a replacement.  We found someone but I figured it was easier if she did my leg (leg 8) and I dropped down to leg one.  All well and good apart from I'd never run that leg and it's a 5am start from Stratford upon Avon, necessitating a 3:30am wake up for me!  

Luckily my leg 2 partner came to the rescue and after a bit of driving round getting the right numbers to the right places we recced it by car on Saturday evening before hitting the sack at 10pm trying to get some kip.  Lou was on leg 3 for another team which meant some ridiculously complicated childcare and travel arrangements meaning our girls were also dragged out to the Cotswolds at 6am.  

33 teams took part (7 from our club).  I was representing the Ladies A team.  Despite loosely doing the Captaining role as our current Ladies captain was covering the Ladies B team, I had some doubts over whether my A-team place was justified.  But I resolved to do my best. It was pitch black when I set out from home, passing a fox robbing a rubbish bin and a hedgehog crossing the road, the only pedestrians around clearly very drunk.  We arrived in Stratford at abut 4:40am, nowhere open to have a wee (and certainly no pre-race poo facilities) and had a half hearted jog up and down the high street.  The ice indicator had been on in my car and was registering 2 degrees!  Dressed in a vest and shorts I was loathe to take my jumper off.  With seconds to go I stripped down and lined up. 

Everyone giggling at the absurdity of setting off for a ten mile race at dawn we set off in a pack.  Our mens B team runner, who's actually pretty quick took off, closely followed by the Leamington ladies A team and I hung back at the front of a little pack that formed doing a bit over 7 minute miles.   I ran with another girl form another team I know pretty well and we chatted for a mile or so before the chat definitely stopped and we settled into race mode.  

Luckily the first leg is pretty flat, a couple of hills but nothing major so I'd decided to try and pace pretty evenly (7:09, 7:09, 7:10).  At around half way (6:56, 7:06) our Mixed team person who'd been tucked in behind me suddenly made a break for it.  There was no way I was going with her.  I was doing ok at the pace but was worried about blowing up if I went any faster.  The girl I'd been running with then dropped back and a guy from Stratford and woman from Kenilworth went ahead on the climb (7:21).  I slowed slightly but couldn't catch up so I figured I'd just stay in touch and not lose too much time.  Next few went 7:14, 7:13, 7:27! and then 7:02 for the last one when my homing beacon kicked in.  So came in at 1.10.38 which I was pretty pleased with although also confirmed my team selection was a bit shit as my clubmate came in at 1.08. 

I then jumped in the car and spent the rest of the day driving around the Cotswolds supporting the rest of my team and finally got home at about 8pm after the prizegiving with a 3rd place Ladies team trophy for my troubles.  Super-knackered but it's such a fun day out!  

And Lou raced too, 10 miles!  And enjoyed it!
  • McFlooze said:
    So came in at 1.10.38 which I was pretty pleased with  

after the prizegiving with a 3rd place Ladies team trophy for my troubles.  Super-knackered but it's such a fun day out!  

And Lou raced too, 10 miles!  And enjoyed it!

Well done - good time.

YAY!

YAY!

• Well done McFlooze and Lou.  That is an early start indeed.  Sounds like a great day though.
  • McF, your devotion to the club cause is amazing. Congratulations on the team prize and a rather excellent run. Good to see Lou back at the races too! Maybe our paths will cross at some point over the summer.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Hope so Muddy.  I'm planning to do most of the WRRL races if you're about for any of those, plus a couple of others - Leam half and Manchester half.  I've mapped out a training plan that is much more about shorter, faster stuff than I've done before so I'm quite excited.  Hopefully will stretch up to HM ok as long as I maintain a long run.