New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Had a blast at the London marathon yesterday despite having to walk from mile 19 due to my right knee playing up - now that wasn't part of the plan! Delighted to find I finished in 5:30.

Well done on your parkrun Damien.

WtnMel great time for your 10k!
  • ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    HS: Some very good grass-roots running there in all conditions. You seem to be getting faster all the time. I was always amazed at the lunchtime runners out along the Embankment in the heat. I think it does give you that extra bit of preparation and motivation. Do you now have a new race on the horizon.

WtnMel: Very good run at the Corsham 10k. Is it a popular one? I was relieved that they must have pointed the naval guns the right way! Your golf must be helping your fitness and all that attic and house clearing. Now you have to get your body in Adonis shape for that skinny dip. On racing with children - I have a memory of walking with my Dad on a playing field alongside a river near where I lived as a child. It sticks in my memory as I spent so little leisure time with him. I'd be somewhere between 10 and 12, therefore, he'd be in his mid-40's. I suggested we have a race, thinking I'd leave him well-behind. I was completely stunned when he just accelerated and disappeared into the distance. Equally, I joined a mixed hockey team when I was in my early 20's for a short while and was always surprised when overweight men twice my age could race away and leave me for dead.

Damien: Very satisfying to beat your pacers. I expect they've got their eye on you now. I've never done a park run but I imagine it must be a very difficult distance to get right and also to squeeze out that extra time on each run. 'Hope your ankle continues to heal. 

Red: Excellent performance. The VLM is a doubly-tiring race with the getting there, hanging round and the weaving in and out and crowds and noise, so it's great that you managed 5.30. Rest up now.   

Over the weekend we gave my son and daughter-in-law a garden makeover as a birthday present. This also involved helping out with grandson as son was on his own for the weekend. We often do something we call Rotten Boroughs where we go off and look at sometimes unloved or overlooked parts of London that are not on the tourist beat. This time it was Colindale, Mill Hill, Totteridge and Whetstone. Highlights were the RAF Museum at Hendon. Really good! then a rather down-at-heel Wetherspoons on the traffic-choked Edgeware Road which baby grandson seemed to love as he tucked into his little tupperware box of cheese sandwiches and grinned round the room.  RED look away with your new toned body. We stuffed down burger and chips and pints. Lovely. Then on to a bus back to Mill Hill which seemed rather deserted, then a bus up through the sumptious hinterland of Holcombe Hill, Mill Hill Village, Totteridge Common. A sort of Hampstead with knobs on! We finished up at Whetstone then back on the underground home. 

Enjoy your running this week, all of you! 
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭

Good afternoon everyone, what a lot of great running and exploring (Exhausted) going on.

Great result for your 10k WtnMel you must be delighted at that time when you haven’t been able to get much preparation in. A just reward for all your selfless running about lately sorting out your brother’s affairs.

Well done Damien, it’s very satisfying when you get a new PB isn’t it (and get one over on your rivals! As Exhausted says you’ll be a marked man after this).

Red, so glad you had a blast at the VLM, but sorry your knee played up and caused you to walk. A very respectable time in those circumstances. Hope your knee settles down again this week, we don’t want any more injury problems.

HS Gale force winds are not nice! Well done to you both for battling on through them and not giving up. I read in the paper today that a three month heatwave is on the way. If that’s the case I think I’ll be doing all my running at the crack of dawn, I’d much rather settle for pleasantly warm with a gentle cooling breeze 

Exhausted what a lovely birthday present, much more thoughtful and useful than clothes, books etc. I’m sure it was much appreciated too. We’re big fans of RAF Hendon and nearly always fit in a visit when we come down to London, it never disappoints. I often find rather unfit looking overweight runners of both sexes easily keeping up with me in races, or even worse passing me - how does that work??

I did a lovely trail 10k yesterday, quite undulating (with two particularly steep hills), lots of lovely scenery and the scent of wild garlic, varying terrain, with a long narrow section through woodland with treacherously exposed tree roots. I love all of that, you’ve really got to concentrate on your foot placement, but as usual I managed to get a stitch in the last half mile. We had a lot of hold ups at stiles and kissing gates due to congestion but no-one minded, it just provided a nice opportunity to strike up a conversation with fellow runners as we waited our turn (and took advantage of the enforced “rest break” to get our breath back). Everyone said how much they enjoyed the run, time was not important, just soaking up the atmosphere and nature. Unfortunately (there’s always an “unfortunately” isn’t there....) although I had no problems during the run, or on the 10 minute walk back to the car, or after a half hour car journey, or even when I got home and stretched then soaked in a hot bath, later that day completely out of the blue, my left ankle became excruciatingly painful, just like my wrist did when I broke it some years ago. I couldn’t bear to touch it and certainly couldn’t stand on it and after a few hours I couldn’t stand the pain so gave in and went to the local hospital. To cut a long story short there’s no break but the nurse I saw was mystified as to the cause of the pain. It felt like a vice around my foot, but there was only minimal swelling. A half hearted diagnosis of gout was offered, even though she admitted the symptoms didn’t really fit. Anyway after a night of painkillers it’s loads better today. I can walk on it, although still a little stiff and sore, but I can’t yet flex my foot, so I have to go up and down stairs sideways, like a crab (but not as fast). Apart from being really annoying (as I don’t know what it was, although I suspect the trail race must have had something to do with it) it means I’ve had to pull out of a club relay race on Wednesday. I hate doing this at short notice but I must try to be sensible as I’m entered for another relay next week. Like this week’s relays each leg lasts two miles so I need to be sure I can get around that far without my ankle playing up. Still, I wouldn’t have missed that trail run for anything! :)

• Afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, glad that you were pleased with your 10k race time, especially considering that you hadn't done sufficient training.

Damien, congratulations on your parkrun pb. Very satisfying finishing ahead of your usual pacers. Good luck with Saturday's and Bank Holiday Monday's parkrun.

Red, well done for your London Marathon achievement. That was a very good time, considering that you had to walk from 19 miles onward. I hope that your knee soon recovers, so take it easy for a few days.

Exhausted, thanks. I do seem to be making good progress now. The next race that I have entered is the New Forest 10 miles which is mainly on good trails, and is on 7th July. It's always very hot on the day, so the more training runs that I can do in hot weather, the better.  I'll keep an eye open though for any other races that I might fancy before then.
    A garden makeover is a very novel birthday present, which I'm sure was greatly appreciated. You certainly crammed a lot into your weekend.

Aquarius, thanks for your appreciation of our run in gale force winds. I consider running into a head wind to be good for endurance and stamina. If there is a heat wave on the way, it will be good preparation for my New Forest 10 miler in July.
    Your 10k trail race sounded nice. I don't mind climbing over styles, but hate clambering over shut gates. I seem to get half over and then get stuck.It's very embarrassing :blush:
    Sorry to hear about your painful left ankle. It sounds very strange to only appear some time after the race, especially as you had a hot bath and presumably stretched as well. The RICE treatment will probably help, "rest, ice, compression and elevation." When I first injured my right knee, I held a bag of frozen peas, wrapped in a tea towel, against it. You are wise to pull out of Wednesdays race, but I hope that you are ok for next weeks race.

I did a very good pace 11 mile multi terrain run in the forest yesterday morning. It was one of those days when "every thing clicked." I seemed to get quicker as the miles went by and mile 11 was the second quickest, 9.47. 
    This morning was a spin session. They have moved the studio to the ground floor. 
  • ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    Aquarius: The description of the run sounds idyllic. The ankle bit sounds very mysterious. I'd say you'd been bitten by something but you'd have a swelling. In fact, almost anything I can think of would involve a swelling. It might be worth an X-Ray.

HS: Good that everything is clicking and that you're getting faster. 
  • hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Was up bright and early for a brisk walk to the polling station to cast my votes.

Thanks Exhausted, I'm making progress at long last.

Yesterday was my best forest run since my injury n 2017. I ran 8.6 miles at an average pace of 9.42. The fastest mile was mile 3 at 9.02. I actually ran 5 consecutive  miles at sub 9.20 pace, so really pleased.
    I've got an appointment at 10.00 with the Hygienist, and will then do a recovery pace run.
    Going for an Italian meal with Alice this evening. 
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon peeps,

I'm doing 'Red May' with some chums which means I have to run a minimum of 5k each day so I did one yesterday and again this morning before voting. Foot and knee behaving so far and will decide tomorrow whether or not to do my planned 5k on Saturday.

TE, you are right back on form arent you, just brilliant news. Enjoy your meal this evening.

Aquarius, stiles/gates and tree roots are my norm and I have to concentrate really hard as I am prone to faceplanting! Your route sounded lovely but your ankle issue is very strange. Has it settled down now? I hope so. As Exhausted suggested it might well have been an insect bite/sting or possibly an alllergic reaction to some plant material? Not nice whatever it was xxx

Exhausted I love your outing with the little 'un! I do love exploring parts of London I don't know, especially when I discover unexpected flora/fauna or sites of historial importance. That was a lovely birthday pressie for your son and DiL. Now, have you done any running yet?
    Afternoon all,

Red, thanks! My recovery run was a measly 3.6 road miles. I should have have taken a rest day instead. Will definitely be having a rest day tomorrow to recharge the batteries.
    Good luck with the "Red May" 5k's.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

Damien - that's great news to hear you got a parkrun PB.

Red - well done re completing the marathon despite knee niggles. Good luck with RED (Run Every Day) May .. not something I would ever contemplate attempting myself.

Exhausted - the Corsham 10k is very popular .. 1200 runners but it didn't feel too crowded and still has a nice 'small town' vibe about it. I didn't hear the gun go off myself but someone told me it was 30 secs late and muffled. No chance of having an Adonis-like shape for skinny-dips .. it's more chunky-dunking these days tbh ;) Sounds like you had a lovely time in London.

Aquarius - thanks re the Corsham 10K. As you say, training has been a bit hit & miss lately with my brother passing away and dealing with the aftermath. Very wise to pull out of the club's relay race.

HS - well done re your recent runs and remember the days when we could approach a gate, jump up so our chest rested on the top, then we'd swing our legs up and over and land gracefully on the other side?

Have now checked my stats for the Corsham 10K. Time (63:50) was nothing to write home about but I was pleased to see I increased my pace as the run progressed (mile splits were 10:37 10:33 10:18 10:21 9:56 9:54 2:11). My next race (part of the club's race series) is the Berkeley 10K .. no time to put in much training for that so I'll just treat it the same as the Corsham race and get round as best I can.

I'm off to Tring again on Monday as my Mum moves into her new flat on Tuesday! :) Will be helping do some last-minute packing/de-cluttering on Mon and moving the tv, dvd player etc. myself. Then will be helping out on Tuesday (the council have arranged for a removal company so I'll be arranging things in the new place). That trail 10K sounds lovely but sorry to hear of the problems later on with your ankle. It sounds like it's getting better - I can only guess being a trail race, your foot placement might have been a bit different to 'normal' runs and that caused the discomfort?
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    WtnMel, negative splits - excellent, well done. Hope your mum settles into her new flat. I've done 10k every day for 60 days before but somehow 5k seems harder as there's the pressure to run that little but faster!
    Morning all, I'm having to stay in this morning, waiting for the gas engineer to arrive to service the boiler. Expected between 8am and 1pm.

WtnMel, yes I remember the days when getting over gates was no problem, whereas now, I get stuck with one leg over (sorry sounds rude.) I can remember when I was a teenager and went to a park to do some fishing with my parents and some neighbours. My dad, who must have been in his early forties, put one hand on a gate, and vaulted right over, landing on his feet. I've never been brave enough to attempt that. 
    Hope you do ok in the Berkeley 10k.
    Good luck with helping your mum to move into her new flat. You really do have an awful lot on your hands at the moment, and it is to your credit that you still manage to fit in some training, although not as much as you would like.

Red, I've never been one to stick to a rigid training/running plan. I couldn't run every day for a month, as I have always believed in taking rest days when necessary. Some of my club mates do an every day run, similar to yours, in December, and have run when perhaps they shouldn't. Good luck to you though, as you know what you are doing.

I had a very nice meal with Alice last night in the Italian Restaurant which has recently changed hands. We were very impressed with the decor, background music, food and service. The menu was very varied, including vegetarian and vegan choices. I'm very nearly 100% vegetarian now, but do have meat occasionally. I had Aubergine Parmigiana with tomato sauce and vegetarian parmesan cheese, served with salad. It was delicious. Alice had a pizza which was huge. We will definitely be visiting there again.
    Morning all,

Ran another 8.6 mile forest run yesterday morning, battling very strong and cold headwinds. I averaged 9.45 minute miling with an average heart rate of 124 bpm. I'm now 1 mile off 500, so if I had realised would have done another mile  :/
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon peeps,

Did a challenging and undulating trail marathon yesterday - hot sun/hailstones/rain/hot sun/hailstones, dull and windy, hailstones, dull and windy, hailstones, black sky then more hailstones, with a strong wind throughout! Only 10 minutes slower than London last week so very pleased with that given there was a lot of sheltering under trees during the hailstone showers! Foot and knee behaved well but decided not to do 50k and settled for marathon distance. Out this morning for 6.5 miles reccing the 1066 100 mile route in my vicinity - missing signage, overgrown footpaths. blocked gates, stiles in dire repair. Eeek!

Nice running TE and I feel your pain re the pesky wind!
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - it would have been ruder if Red had written about getting stuck when she gets her leg over ;-) Sadly I'm going to have to give tomorrow's Berkeley 10K a miss - wasn't organised enough to transfer my place to a clubmate as I didn't realise I won't be around as I'm heading to Tring tomorrow morning to help my Mum move. That Italian restaurant sounds nice .. and well done re your recent run (I'm different as if it was me, I'd wait until my next run to hit the 500 mile target).

Red - very good that the undulating trail marathon was only a little slower than the flattish London one. Does the above mean you'll have to do another recce armed with secateurs, hammers etc.?

Did a 5ml run this morning and surprised myself by managing it at 10:15mm pace (about 30 secs faster per mile than usual). Was not even trying particularly hard so even more surprising for that - hope this might bode well for the future and mean I'm gaining a bit of speed.
  • Hi all.
    I got another P.B yesterday on the park run and on Monday I'm doing the Avenham park 5 k race in Preston,lets see if I manage to get anywhere my time of 25.21 from last year.
  • ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    Red: No. I haven't.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good evening all, and thanks for your kind wishes re my dodgy ankle. I managed an experimental 2 miles yesterday (Sunday) to check it out, and I’m pleased to say it was fine during the run, although strangely both my knees were a bit sore. After the run a bit of stiffness and soreness came back in the ankle, so to be on the safe side I pulled out of the relay race this Wednesday, which unfortunately leaves the club with an incomplete team. Feeling quite bad about this, and taking into account the fact my knee feels a lot better today I’ve volunteered to run after all if no-one else comes forward between now and Wednesday to take the vacant place.  (However I’m not completely silly, if I have any doubts at all about my fitness I won’t be running). I have an appointment with my usual physio on Thursday morning so hopefully she may be able to throw some light on what happened to my ankle last week. 

Damien well done on another parkrun pb. How did the 5k at Preston go?

Red, what horrible weather for your trail marathon, it sounds like you just needed snow to make it a “full house.”  I imagine the strong wind must have made it very tiring, so well done for completing the course (congrats for London too btw) and glad to hear your foot didn’t cause you any problems. What, and when, is the 1066 run - is it one you are planning on doing? 

WtnMel, sorry you had to give the Berkely 10k a miss, but well done on your 5 miler that turned out to be a speedy one, and without even trying - they are the best sort of runs. Despite your rather hectic life at the moment you still seem to be gaining in fitness. 

HS, By the time you read this I’ve no doubt you will have achieved your 500 miles, so many congratulations on that impressive feat. That was a great time you ran on Saturday and a good average HR, your spinning classes are obviously doing you the world of good. Glad you and Alice enjoyed your Italian meal, it sounded delicious!

Exhausted - why not?
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

What wonderful weather we had yesterday. 5k pootle first thing then gardening for the rest of the day - I'm a bit stiff this morning! Off to do 5k on the treddy to try out some new HOKAs to see if I like them - I hate it when they update/discontinue a favourite style.

Exhausted, get yourself out there for a run along the coast and call it a bird-watching outing so you don't think of it as a run  :D

Aquarius, the 1066 100 miler is the 2nd part of my charity challenge this year. It takes place in July and it's actually 103 miles with a rather tight 30 hour cut-off. I'm running it with 2 friends (one faster and one slower than me) and we've agreed that we'll stick together no matter what and if we get timed out and don't get a medal or official time then we'll treat it as a grand day out in the countryside. I hope your ankle/knees are feeling better and I know you'll be sensible about the club run xxx

Damien, nice pb!

WtnMel, I've notified the Right of Way Team (who will have no luck in gettign them repaired in time!) and the organisers who are due to waymark my stretch on 18th May and have said that they will re-route if necessary. Trouble is that some of the paths look OK atm but by July will be completely overgrown. At least I can warn all my chums about those sections. Hope your mum is happy in her new home althoughit wll take her a while to adjust xxx

TE, I hope you've got past the 500 mile mark now x

Good afternoon everyone,

Red, very well done running the challenging trail marathon, just 10 minutes slower than the London!
    It was bright and sunny here yesterday, but with an icy cold wind.
    Hope your new HOKA's are to your satisfaction. I also am suspicious of upgrades to my favourite ASIC's 1000 series for road shoes. I always seem to prefer the previous version until I get used to the upgrade. 
    Wishing you the best with your training for the 1066 100+ race in July and hoping it won't be too hot on the day/s.
    I've run 508 miles so far this year, so well on target for the 1000 mile challenge, provided that I don't get injured again. x

WtnMel, sorry to hear that you had to give the Berkely 10k a miss. Your speedy 5 miler made up for it though, running without the pressure of racing. You are making good progress now, and once your domestic duties have quietened down, will be able to spend more time training. Presume you will still be "bowling" along with the golf?

Damien, congratulations on your parkrun pb and hope you improved it again yesterday in the Preston 5k?

Aquarius, glad to hear that your knee is feeling a bit better, but don't race if you have any doubts. That was my downfall with my menisci tears back in June 2017. I felt my knee "pull" during the track session on the Thursday, which I sensibly stopped, but stupidly raced a 10k on the Sunday. It was a Hampshire Road Race League race, and I didn't want to let the club down :'(
    Thanks, yes I have now completed the 500 miles and have run 508 miles to date. The spinning has certainly helped, and probably without it, would never have run/raced again. We had a very good spin session again this morning, and even the Instructor was sweating, and she said that she never sweated!
    It was a very nice meal thank you and we will be going there again.

I ran 9.1 miles in the forest yesterday by myself. Unusually, as there are usually 3 or 4 of us. It was tough going into the headwind, but I managed an average pace of 10.09 minute miling, with average hr 134 bpm. This morning's spin session was exceptionally tough as you may have gathered from my comments above.
    I'm going for a pub meal this evening with Sarah H. She is driving so that I can have a beer!
    Afternoon all,

Very windy this morning for my run. I ran 8.1 miles on roads at a very "easy" pace. I had lost my battle with the wind, so just jogged round.
    Afternoon everyone,

This mornings forest run was brutal. I ran 10.6 miles in horrendous conditions. The rain was very heavy and the wind nearly gale force and gusting at times.Nevertheless, I was pleased and amazed that my average pace was 10.25 minute miling. I will definitely be taking a rest day tomorrow.
  • jag1jag1 ✭✭
    Hello everyone. Just wondering what the minimum age limit is in here  ;)
    Afternoon everyone,

Welcome to the thread Jag1, there is no minimum or maximum age one here. We are always looking for new posters.

Where are the rest of you, hope you haven't deserted me :cry:

Bright and sunny this morning, but still a fairly cold, strong wind. I did 8.77 miles fartlek in the forest this morning, the fastest effort being 7.39 pace. 

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭

Sorry HS, I’ve been meaning to post on here for the last few days but just not very organised at the moment. Well done for holding the fort the last few days!

I didn’t run in my relays on Wednesday as I was still worried about my ankle, and as I had a physio appointment the following day I thought it would be sensible to wait until she’d had a chance to look at it. Fortunately it appears there’s no lasting damage and she did a lot of work on different parts of my ankle, my Achilles, calf and hamstrings, then finished off with ultrasound on the ankle. I was advised to include Pilates and/or yoga into my training so I did a yoga session yesterday, then today I had a 4 mile trot out this morning. I was surprised at how many aches and pains I had from the yoga yesterday (core and quads mainly) which was a bit of a surprise as I do quite a bit of strength work anyway. However I’m hoping Pilates and yoga will be beneficial in the long run (no pun intended) as I always have very tight hamstrings. 

Welcome Jag1, this is a friendly and supportive forum, and usually a bit busier than it has been the last few days! What sort of distances do you run? We have a variety of abilities and experience on here, so whether you are just starting out or have been a runner for years you will fit right in. 

• jag1jag1 ✭✭
    Thanks for the welcome. I’ve lurked for a while. I’m relatively new running wise, having run a lot in my teens, mainly sprinting, and then nothing for some 40 odd years. They started a parkrun in my town a year ago and my PT encouraged me to have a go, and I’ve really enjoyed it. I prefer running trails to roads, and am lucky as I live in the Surrey Hills so am spoilt for choice. I did my first race last weekend, the Leatherhead Rotary Bluebell run around Headley Heath, and really enjoyed it coming home in 59.45 which I was very pleased with. Have also joined a beginners running course at my local athletics club which is great fun and full of friendly people.

I also do a bit of helping and marshalling at local runs and my parkrun, so have become a real convert, I enjoy reading everyone’s experiences on here so thanks to all posters.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Apologies for absence and for leaving you talking to yourself TE! Busy, busy week.

Welcome Jag1 and well done on your first event. You have some nice terrain in your area and I much prefer trails too  :D

Aquarius, so pleased to hear your ankle is OK. Yoga has definitely helped me in many ways, not least my hamstrings aren't quite as tight as usual so it's well worth pursuing.

TE, nice fartlek session. Have you heard all the warnings about ticks? They are definitely more prevalent in our area now which is a right pain!

Yesterday I had a lovely day out doing the LDWA South Downs marathon with a chum. As we are both coming back from injury we settled for a run/walk strategy running the downhills and occasional flat bits then walking the uphills.  Took loads of fab photos as the scenery was stunning as always and we had beautiufl sunshine for most of it, albeit with a rather chill wind up on the high parts. We made an accidental detour at one point and had to retrace our steps which added another .5 mile to the 28 mile route but it really didn't matter at all as we were having such a fab time. We even passed Peter Owen-Jones and exchanged greetings around Exceat as we were about to head up towards the white horse of Littlington! We ate well at the checkpoints (you can't beat an LDWA event for good aid stations!) and had a jolly good natter all the way round. So that was 28.5 miles for marathon/ultra 169 in 7:34. Off for a short recovery run soon.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Afternoon all - sorry I've not been around much but as explained I've been busy helping my Mum move.

Damien - yay to a new Parkrun PB.

Aquarius - glad to read your dodgy ankle was okay(ish) after your 2ml run .. hope it is better by now.

HS - with the regular trips to Tring I've not managed to get along to the bowls club for weeks :-( However, my golf improved a bit on Friday and I beat my mate Alan again :-)

My Mum is now in her new flat. The move on Tue went without a hitch, the new cooker & dining table/chairs arrived on Wed and her phone has been connected this morning. We had my family here for lunch yesterday - I asked my Mum how she was settling in and she said she loves it (so pleased for her). Off to see her again on Wed to hang a few photos and do some other small post-move jobs.

BTW, I got the date of the Berkeley 10K run wrong - it's tonight, not last Monday. But I can't do it though as I strained my back during Tuesday's move, so have been having to rest it for a few days.

After Wed's trip to Tring it's a quick turnaround as we're having a few days away in Bude followed by a few days in Woolacombe. We're going to be rude in Bude! :) We're taking part in the inaugural "South West Skinny" raising money for MIND and will be running onto the sea in Bude in the nude ;)
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi WtnMel, glad to hear your mum's settled in OK and LOL at you and your skinny dipping antics!
    Afternoon all,

Aquarius, sounds promising regarding your ankle.

Jag1, well done for your first race, and glad that you are pleased with your time. I prefer off road to roads, and do most of my training runs in the New Forest. My running club also has a beginners section, and in the first week, 76 turned up!! It has now reduced to a more manageable 30.

Red, thanks. Yes I've heard about more tics around this year, so am trying to avoid long grass, although I know that they can drop out of trees, but can't fly.
    Your LDWA South Downs marathon sounded good, especially as you enjoyed it. It never ceases to amaze me, the number of marathons and ultras that you have done. Hope the recovery run helped to ease out any aches and pains.

Yesterday was a 10 mile fartlek session in the forest with Sarah H. We set off at midday, which wasn't the best of times,but thankfully there was a bit of a breeze, so it wasn't too hot. We pushed ourselves hard with lots of efforts and hill climbs. Our fastest effort which was about 150 metres, was at 7.06 minute miling pace. That's amazing really, as several months ago, I didn't think that I would ever get under 10 miling no matter how I tried.
    Today was a spin session, which included flat and hill sprints. 
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Evening all, what a glorious day it's been and I've been busy in the garden all day except for when I went for my little 5k trot. I'd still be out there but I need to write the Garden Society Newsletter and get it out this evening - boo!

TE, 7.06 miling, wowzer! That's well and truly sub 10 mm, well done you xxx :smiley: