The Thousand Mile Club - 2019

Comments

• Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭

Great work everyone, I've been away for a bit so not been keeping up until today.

Was racing the boat up at Bala (North wales) but managed to sneak in Bala Parkrun before the start of sailing.

498 miles YTD but got easy run at running club tonight before Saturdays Ultra.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai...well done on the 700'.
    Hobie...all the best for Saturday's Ultra.
    Weather picked up by mid-day, so enjoyed a run on grass, in the sun.
    Easy 4', progressing from a 9:56 to a 9:18; still checking the body, then more stretches (and a swim+sauna) Takes me into a new century; YTD: 702'.
  • I know I am stringing this long but can only report a 10.48 mile recovery run yesterday making my 
    YTD = 990.39 miles
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM: really enjoyed reading your Newport report, thanks for taking the time to share. 

Dobbie: loved the added detail about the boat, its that peak into the lives of others that keeps the tread interesting. 

5K and 4 miles making.... 

Ytd: 386.9

Thanks Donnie, yeah, my wife is a massive fan of my hobbies, she loves nothing more than me disappearing for bank holiday weekends with the boat, followed by a lot of hours away running....August is a particular favourite month historically.

Harmander, guessing you're past the 1000 by now so many congratulations.

Congrats MrM2

Just past 500 for me at running club last night 505 miles YTD

• Yes Hobie1495, just got back half hour ago having done 10.48 miles.
    YTD = 1000.87 miles
    The 1000 iles was done in 189 hours 2 minutes and 32 seconds over 129 days.
    Two years ago I done it in 107 days - clearly slowing down - but better than last year when bad weather (Beast from the East etc) and loads of niggles were getting in the way.
    Thanks in advance for all the congrats :-}
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well done Harmander 🙂

5 miles for me tonight takes me to 313 YTD 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Awesome, Harmander! You legend, you.
    Well done everyone else, too.

Another crappy recovery run after my quads got completely fried in pilates on Wednesday. They are still sore. 6 miles, slow and sluggish. They had better perk up for the weekend as I'm running Gatwick half. However, I have breached 700.

YTD: 702
  • Afternoon,

Dubai, Sorry to here about the accident, glad you are okay, isn't it is so annoying especially when you have a new car - my ex-wife borrowed my car many years ago (it was 2 weeks old) and hit a milk float, as they are all battery, it ripped through it like a tin opener.

MrM2, Great report, well done sir, what a great time and with very consistent splits, plus over 700 miles, well done again!

Donnie, Best of luck for next Wednesday and hopefully a new PB.

Andrew, Well done on another ton.

Cal, Good luck on Sunday, hope it goes well & congratulations on passing the 700 mile mark, excellent running.

Hobie, Enjoy the "Beast" on Saturday, and well done on the half way mark.

Harmander, 1st to the 1000 again, well done sir. I totally agree with you on the lighting bolt route, I can't stand it either and I also agree that the road could do with some tarmac :D 

As for my week, the leg is still giving me grief - 10 weeks now, so have only been out a couple of times + a splash in the pool.
    It isn't painful, just uncomfortable and feels heavy and therefore I can't seem to stride normally. I would normally have seen my therapist, but work is very busy at the moment with lots of late nights and not a happy wife!
    With only 4 weeks to my event, not sure what to do, will probably go along but won't expect to much - most annoying.

07.05.19 - 16.5
    10.05.19 - 8.25

YTD = 462.00
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    David C...Thanks for kind words. As for 10wks!...I know I'd be climbing up the wall by now! Hope you'll soon see some improvements.
    Cal..Well done on your 700+, and all the best for Gatwick.
    Harmander...Thanks...and congrats on your first thousand for this year! How many more?
    Hobie...Thanks...and congrats to you for your 500+ Hope that you are all set for tomorrow's Ultra.
    Donnie 2...Glad you appreciated the report (I'm still buzzing, and even starting to think that I might go sub4 one more time???)
    More great running weather, so an easy 6', enjoying my much used coastal route. YTD:708'.
    Thinking of running at parkrun tomorrow, then try to improve wk.on wk..
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks MrM2 and David (unhappy wife sounds dangerous - maybe you need a doghouse to share with Harmander?)

I'm going to need the luck because I still have quad DOMS. It's annoying! Left hammy and right achilles are niggly too. I got a parkrun done (Rickmansworth today - lovely location but busy and somewhat congested) and got an official time of 25:20 which is decent but half a minute slower than last week. Felt like hard work too. Got an age cat 1st but a VW55 and a VW60 had better times than me so I can't really brag too much.
  • Congrats on the 1000 Harmander!! 

For the leg giving you grief 16.5 miles is a great effort David!!

9.5 3.7
    10.5 no run
    11.5 7.23
    12.5 5.2

YTD 724.61 miles

• Brilliant effort David Charman (I have a double Dog House, could do with the company) lol.
    Congrats on the 700 Cal Jones.
    Thank you Dubai Runner.
    After a 10.19 mile parkrun sandwich yesterday I got up extra early  (couldn't sleep as the wife left the doghouse door open), did 16.94 mile LSR this morning.  makes my 
    YTD = 1028.01 miles.
  • Shall I 'bank' the 1000 miles and pretend I am starting now to see if I can catch up/achieve the 1000 miles by year end?

Just asking as it might enthuse me to run harder and improve y actual running performance during each outing - seriously
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Why not go for 2019 miles, Harmander?
    Got Gatwick done. Well organised race, with an appearance from Colin Jackson and Dina Asher-Smith. Nice race village and good medal and shirt. Route was OK, mostly country lanes and the we didn't see much of Gatwick due to the foliage (certainly heard the planes, though!) Not that interesting though, and there was a nasty hill at mile 8.
    My tired legs and the warm weather meant I stopped trying for a PB after 6 miles and just concentrated on getting it done. My final time of 1:57:06 isn't even in my top 5, but I wasn't about to flog a dead horse two weeks out from Liverpool. At least I know I can have a lacklustre race and still finish well under 2 hours.

YTD: 718
  • Well done on the Gatwick Cal,

Yes the 2019 was the original target I recall.

Wil see if I can get there before December
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal...still a decent time. Taper well for Liverpool!
    Got out for parkrun yesterday but only gave myself time for a one mile warm-up...26:37, and still giving 71% AG.
    Another day of 'must run' weather, so out for a steady 10' along the seafront. (Gives me 27' for my 'recovery week'...That Harmander is a bad influence!)      YTD:722'.
  • Cal, Very well done, as MrM2 has said, still a great time. I know the route well as I use to be very local, and the hill is a nasty one! Now enjoy the taper for Liverpool.

Harmander, The dog house might not be a bad idea! I am not fussed if you would like to start again, why not.

MrM2, I am sure there is another sub 4 in you, it is not like you are half an hour away, 1 min something is just a few of seconds a mile. ;)

So I have decided to take 2 weeks out, to try and let me leg sort itself out, I will of course will still be going to the pool and the gym (but no running), I shall still pop in to see how everyone is doing.

Well done Cal, saw some of it on various other social media stuff, looked great.

My tale of the Preseli UltrabeasT goes like this...

Top tip : DO NOT ENTER THIS RACE UNLESS YOU'VE TRAINED FOR IT...fair to say I hadn't trained enough.
    Race number 32...oh the irony of a race number the same as miles to run.

Loaded up race vest with more kit than needed. Traditional find a new friend Beast hugs at the start and off we go into the Beasts lair (woods)....the first 11 miles were ok, down through the Gwaun Valley to Newport (Pembs)...then it's back up Carn Ingli, 18 miles to Foel Feddau (ouch) could have easily bailed out and headed home on Beast route (doing only 24 miles)....but thanks to the girl I was running with we pushed on to the Ultra route...8 miles towards Crymych via Carn Alw and brutal climb up Foel Drygarn...finally turn for home along the Golden road, stunning views help. Back at Foel Feddau it's finally time for the last climb up Foel Cymcerwyn and the return downhill to the Lair and shuffle to the finish line. Some skin has gone missing from feet but legs actually feel ok today.

Took 7hrs 41mins…32 miles & 6000ft of climbing…3000 calories.

Chatting with the guy that organises it at the finish, he finally admitted that it's "not your average Ultra"...no kidding....marshals included a Storm trouper, 2 lobsters, a Police lady and a Traffic cone...

536 miles YTD...probably not recording too many more this week.

• Hope the 2 weeks rest helps David.

Already 34 degrees at 8am this morning, getting a bit sweaty out there.

8.8 miles today

YTD 733.41 miles

• Brilliant work Hobie, Great time & 6000ft of climb - epic, however I feel you must be mad!

• On another note, Saucony are pulling out of the Middle East, I have been wearing the Kinvara for years, I have enough pairs till end of the year but am on the search for a new neutral trainer with a 4mm drop.  Any suggestions?
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
     Dubai Runner, have just bought a new make for me, Altra, which are zero drop Escalante's. Was a bit dubious at first, but really liking them so far, bit of a change from my Mizuno Wave Riders, but so far...

Hobie 1495, you do find some runs, don't you, sounds absolutely brilliant but GRIM, think I'd have bailed out on the beast route. 32miles is about the most I've run in one go, but that was along a sea wall, zero elevation, and that was hard enough!

For me not much to report, jogging along, but ran Halstead marathon yesterday, easy run with the legend that is Andy Wilmot (750+marathons) for a 4:20. Nice steady run which gives me a GFA place by 40minutes (sorry Cal) but I really don't want to use it, London sounds even more horrendous that when I used to run it! Get there at 8am, hand baggage in by 9 and then wait until 11am to start? I don't think so.

YTD      442.12
  • Congrats Hobie. I don't whats harder, the race or pronouncing those names!

Cheers Senidm, I'll keep an eye out for the altras

Joined Harmander in the dog house so went for a second run, only 3.6 miles

YTD 737.01 miles

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Fantastic running going on.

Well done,Dubai,Cal and MrM2,on your 700.

Andrew,well done on reaching 300.

That's a tough race,Hobie,that's definitely not your average ultra.Well done.

Congrats on reaching the target already,Harmander,I'm sure you'll double it by the end of the year.

Hope your leg sorts itself out,David.

SenidM,great mara result and GFA place.

8.05 - 6

10.05- 10.19

YTD - 591.23

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Hobie, that sounds incredibly tough but also hilarious!

senidM - no apology needed, that's a great time! Well done! I'd like to do London once for the experience (especially as it's my home marathon) but it doesn't look like an ideal race for me either, in all honesty. Your time should qualify you for the other majors anyway.

David - good decision. When I had to take most of Autumn '17 off, I was pretty grumpy but I ended up coming back a lot stronger and faster. Sometimes an enforced break can be beneficial.

Dubai, I don't envy you that weather.

Lovely weather so my recovery run ended up being 7 miles as I was enjoying it. Still rather stiff but I'm not as sluggish as I was last week so it averaged 10:41 pace rather than 11+ which I was doing then.
    My Liverpool number arrived...

YTD: 725
  • The dog house is getting rather crowded - lol
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    See, this is why I'm single.