Arch support inserts for neutral shoes

Good morning all!

I have always worn support/stability shoes for overpronation. I've never had a problem with these (although i have had mild plantar fasciitus for 6 months! maybe related i dont know but it is starting to disappear!)

I am looking at replacing my shoes now they are reaching the end of their life and i notice there are much better deals and variety in neutral shoes. Can I as an overpronator just buy neutral shoes and put arch support insoles inside? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Comments

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    It'll probably depend on the reason for your overpronation.  I have a fallen arch on my left foot, so wear a neutral/arch support combination and it works well for me.  I guess it's something you would need to try and see if it works - with the danger that if it doesn't, you end up buying more shoes.

If you have a running shop locally that does gait analysis, and also sells arch supports, it might be worth testing out each combination and see what the results are.
  • > @Nessie said:
    > It'll probably depend on the reason for your overpronation.  I have a fallen arch on my left foot, so wear a neutral/arch support combination and it works well for me.  I guess it's something you would need to try and see if it works - with the danger that if it doesn't, you end up buying more shoes.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > If you have a running shop locally that does gait analysis, and also sells arch supports, it might be worth testing out each combination and see what the results are.

Thanks for your reply,

I have had gait analysis done and it is mainly the right foot that overpronates, that foot is also completely flat, while the left foot has a normal arch. I could try just 1 insert i suppose. I imagine it takes some getting used to as it would probably feel like you have completely different shoes on?
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I wear Superfeet insoles, and use them in both feet, on the basis that my right foot just won't press down on the support, whereas the left does.  I've never had issues with that.

Whatever you do, changing shoes should be done gradually - wear the new version for one or two short runs a week, and your old ones for the longer stuff.  Then gradually shift over as your feet and legs get accustomed to the new ones. 

Good luck in finding something to suit.