Pacing advice for Edinburgh Marathon

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how I should plan to pace for this Marathon.
its meant to be a pb course, downhill for the first 5-6 miles then fairly flat for the last 20. My previous marathons I have tended to start too fast and paid for it in the last 6 miles.
So, should I use the downhill by going faster or keeping to pace and using less effort? I would like to break 4 hrs, my pb last year 4:06:xx

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I am not sure how dramatic the downhill is. If you need to average say 8.30mm to get your time and the downhill is more than just gentle I still wouldn't want to be averaging more than 8.25ish. Banking time in a mara is almost always a false economy, however this may be a slight twist on that rule.

Ideally someone who has run the course well will respond.

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

It's only "meant to be a PB course" to the organisers. It's true that there's a net downhill, but that's only because you run from the city to the coast. There's only a mile or two is downhill, and it's not dramatically so. I wouldn't worry too much about the downhill, the wind strength and direction will have much more bearing on your race than any hills.

My 2p-worth would be to largely disregard the "downhill", and just go for even splits.