Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Lol Simon :smile:

Blimey Jools - you do pack 'em in!!! Best thing about Blorenge (other than its a nice hill of course!) is it dispels the myth that nothing rhymes with Orange :smiley: You are right about getting old!

Nice session SG. Likewise SWh, even if it felt like a bad day it was still a session!

Did a bit of speed work myself today. Rather warm in the midday sun too! Only 5 x 0.25M, starting easy and built up to around 5:40 pace. All OK so far (though the 2 mile easy jog back afterwards felt like hard work!)
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Not sure Pete, either in a residential street around Whitley or maybe Costco.
    PeteM said:

Yes Reg I'm in Royal Berks 10k too. Got some pain in my knee but usually after running or cycling so suppose I'll ignore it for now. Did a new parkrun Saturday at Hanworth near Twickenham. Very fast course but met a guy I used to work with years ago and chatting away so much I was standing at the back when they started and about 50m from the start line. In the circumstances 18'54 not too bad but think that course could be really fast.  

Where are you thinking of parking for Royal Berks Reg? Maybe SG can give us some advice ;) Was thinking of that park and ride just south of J11 M4 but don't know if you can just park up there and walk to the start easily (doesn't look too far on the map).  

Park and ride is a decent option, I was thinking a residential street around Hartland hill way or possibly the Rabson Recreational ground, has a small amount of parking. Costco could be a cheeky close option.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    SG - it’s not local to you, but equally not a million miles away (certainly closer than some of your jaunts!), but the Saffron 5 (near Saffron Walden) is fairly flat from memory. Can be a wind risk though as it’s largely on an open airfield. Might be a bit late in the year for you too in late Sept/early Oct, but I thought I’d mention it.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Nice one AD - always open to suggestions. There's a nice set that end of the year.

Bus - are you getting brave, sneaking in speedwork, while Ric is on his little "let the whole row blow over" absence :D:dizzy:
    Glad you're up to something a bit tastier :)
  • Stevie G said:

Do you find the recovery jogs stay consistent?
    Different people favour jog recovery and some still recovery. Unless I'm doing something like an hour tempo, where it needs to be continuous I must admit I favour the "stop" recovery, or a slight walk.

I suppose the jog keeps you warm and is slightly harder, but maybe a little risk that recovery 1 takes 2mins, and recovery 7 takes 3? :)
    Recoveries were 2:00, 2:00, 2:08, 2:09 and 2:11 so they do get a bit longer but nothing drastic. For me, the aim of the session is to do the efforts at a fast pace and that means a middle recovery so not the sort of 60 seconds you did this morning but also not the 5 to 10 minutes the sprinters take between efforts. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Something like that SG...

I've always been curious about the impact of recovery length. For example, is it better to allow a slightly longer recovery  as a session moves on if that means the pace of the rep can be kept even? Presumably it depends on what you are specifically working on.  My recoveries today were more about where they worked to avoid low canal bridges during the rep!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep totally.
    Moz used to work to current fitness and zones and you wouldn't get long recoveries unless it was something like 800s at 3k pace.

Those super long recoveries for short reps are something i haven't really done much of.

There's a 5x400m on this plan that allow 2-3min recovery as its supposedly 800pace!
     You think, 2mins for 400 but will be plenty...
    But then you quickly realise why you needed the extra!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Sprinters can only do long recoveries as they've got nothing else to do :smile:  I'd need to be retired to have a 5 min recovery between reps (well, maybe not the number of reps I'm doing now!!!)
  • SG - Think i'll be there about 11.

I'm not in the youngest age group for the masters relays now. How has it come to this?

• The basic idea of a track session (or similar) that consists of repetitions and recovery is that is is designed to have specific benefit for a specific problem.

My eldest is a sprinter and so she rocks up to a race warmed up and then goes full out for a handful of seconds and then dies. There is no point at all in her doing a rep when she is still recovering from the previous one and she can have 10-minute recoveries.

For me, I am trying to improve my 5k time and a big factor is VO2max. If you start a rep, it takes 1 to 2 minutes to reach VO2max (the point where the oxygen you can get in balances the oxygen you need to sustain that effort) so I am basically running 3 minute reps and 1 to 2 minutes of each rep are at VO2max. If I did 400m reps then I may not even get into the VO2max regime. If you are doing such short reps (like SG does) then the recovery is more important as you need to "carry over" some of the previous rep into the current rep. For me, once the body has replenished to oxygen stores I can do the next rep and really the duration is not so important so 2 minutes of 3 minutes make little difference. 
  • I've got the Vitality London 10,000 (don't know why it is a 10,000 and not a 10k as it is a road race) on the Monday Bank Holiday at the end of May. #2's boyfriend did 42:52 at Oxford so that is the target to beat.  
    Stevie G said:

Phil Malcolm Jones - put those sandbags down ;)

If you've been cruising 22.00 out with a cigar on as parkrun pacer, you can take some sprint kid's sub 43 to town.

Maybe just sitting on his shoulder the whole way, and bursting past late doors, pointing at him chanting "Life....life"

I've just had a look at this and I reckon sandbagging is a bit uncalled for. So the target is sub 42:52. I am pacing parkrun at 22 but my best parkrun so far this year is 20:39 which is 73.20% WAVA. If I run 10k at the same WAVA then it gives 42:59 so I reckon it will be close. I have not singled out a parkrun to do fast this year so if I front-load the previous week to ensure I hit the 10k with fresh legs then I can maybe aim at 42:30 which is nice with the maths as it is 4:15 per km and 74% WAVA. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You and your wava!!

Whatever happened to 5k x2 +1min.
    Thatd see you comfortably home
  • Ahoy team. Apologies for my lack of posting recently. Work's been pretty busy with budgeting and all that boring stuff. Been reading back when I can, some good training and racing going on. Good to see SG back racing and hope you're on the mend Bus. 

I had a 'turnout' myself on Sunday. Won't post the full report here, as it wasn't anything to shout about, 3rd place in a local 10km, 36:08 on a 'lumpy' course. Full report can be consumed here;

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2019/05/16/wimbledon-10km-12-05-2019/

Got one of my favourite weekends of the year this weekend - Green Belt Relay. For some reason, I always volunteer to organise, so I'm responsible for getting 44 people safely around a loop of London in 48 hours. Always good fun, I'm running stages between St Albans and Hatfield and then Upminster and Lakeside. Stage winners get a lucrative 'stage winners' t-shirt. Last two years I've had one win and 3 2nd places. Wouldn't mind another t-shirt..
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

Simon - keen.

I'll be being picked up then. 90mins away!

Joe - I would deffo milk that for something to shout about!, but understand that you can do better when needs and opportunities must!

I was wondering what a decent conversion from 5m to 10k is. Around 7mins or so? Will probably have to get one in this year at some stage. Could do Bupa 10k but it's all a bit of a faff going there on a bank hol. I think there's a BP 5k that day too potentially.

Basically told not to come into work today as they had some visitors in, so with a WFH on the agenda, that gave the opportunity to head off to enjoy a nice 10miler on the classic Marlow river route.

Legs definitely made it clear early knockings that they could have done with a day off this week, but I thought get a 10 in, and rest until the relay makes good sense.

Tweaked the route a bit to cut out a mile out and back, but still took in the main climbs and spirit of the route.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice casual 3rd place there Joe :smile: 
    WAVA suggests 5k x 2 + 90 secs for vets SG :smile: Lovely day for a run along the Thames.

7 miles for me at lunch. Ridiculously hard work after yesterday's pretend 'session'!!! Lot of work to do to get in any sort of racing shape....
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You'll get back, you always do!

It's the couple of chaps from our club who intentionally do jack for 2 months I'm always amazed get back. If you're intentionally having such a long spell out, what happens when you get an enforced one?

• Stevie G said:

Basically told not to come into work today as they had some visitors in, so with a WFH on the agenda, that gave the opportunity to head off to enjoy a nice 10miler on the classic Marlow river route.

Nah, nothing on Strava so no run. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

:* Yeah there's a reason, but one for the flesh, not for the forum

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Curious :smile:

I'll definitely be back - but not sure to what! Checking back on Po10 I've just realised that other than parkruns, a handful of trail races and a few fell races I've only done seven road races in four years now!!  Could at least be part of the reason for such a big decline in speed! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

There's so many distances and types of runs, that it's easy to build up a little sequence like that.

I went 5 years without a 10miler, and am on a 1 HM in 4 years come July.

Just need to convert one of those parkruns to say a BP 5k, and you're back in the game. Otherwise, something bootleg, odd distance that's no obvious comparison to previous glory to ease you back in.

In some ways, the first race you do at a distance for a while is the easy one. It's the next go where you have to beat it that's the pressure.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I thought that with the Wokingham Half! At the time, last year's time was a real disappointment, but judging it against this year, it was a stonker of a run :smiley:

Think I might try ultras :wink:
  • Stevie G said:

I was wondering what a decent conversion from 5m to 10k is. Around 7mins or so? 

5m to 10k must be one of the easiest conversions to calculate. Setting aside the fact that we know a mile is exactly 1,609.344 metres and approximate it to 1,600 then 5 miles is 8,000m (or 20 laps) and 10,000 (or 25 laps) is 25% more so just add a quarter. Based on your Marlow 5 then I'd add  7.10

Stevie G said:

:* Yeah there's a reason, but one for the flesh, not for the forum

I'll keep an eye on the local press. Will it be

Dog walker pushed into Thames by jogger.

or

Hottie says "it was love at first sight when he ran by topless" 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The last one would be great wouldn't it!
  • The Bus said:
    I thought that with the Wokingham Half! At the time, last year's time was a real disappointment, but judging it against this year, it was a stonker of a run :smiley:

Think I might try ultras :wink:

Oh no! Another one gone to the 'New Dark Side'. Please say this isn't true Bussy! I know things are bad, but..

Yes, get some more races done.

SG - Seen the race times., I'm last off 2.05, so 12, not 11am. Nice and easy on the train from mine, £17 return.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Strange to set the V45 boys off 5mins after? Or maybe the start line is too congested with 35s and 45s in the same mix.

At least this isn't saturday XC where all the earlier races utterly ruck the course up before you get to go!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

SG - Why aren't you allowed to be in work when there are visitors!??

Simon -I don't get the ultra obsession either, especially when people try and sell it to me as 'its just run-walk-eat' I don't want to walk in a race!

Good luck to you both tomorrow

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Not just visitors SW - but a big take over for the day, carpark, rooms etc...
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Tomorrow will be good fun as unlike say a Marlow 5 - that's only on time, and beating rivals, a 5.06km run, with that blooming hill, and in relay form, doesn't make too much odds - and is just about having a little rampage.

I'll be using it as a nice taster back into 5k intensity, before hopefully a little tour again.
    Nice little rest period from after the morning 10 yesterday, through to the event tomorrow should be just what the doc ordered.

Then presumably a usual LSR should be ok.

Absolutely gutted Danny Baker made such a ridiculous gaffe the other day, as I've been loving him and Gary Lineker's podcasts. 
    They've said this is the end of series 2...but i wonder if someone like Gary Lineker, who is such a big BBC face, could continue the partnership with someone sacked by the same place! That'd be really ballzy if he did.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Stevie G said:

They've said this is the end of series 2...but i wonder if someone like Gary Lineker, who is such a big BBC face, could continue the partnership with someone sacked by the same place! That'd be really ballzy if he did.
    I don't think he's got the minerals, SG. Comedians Watch Football With Friends would make a good podcast. Joe Wilkinson, Jon Richardson and Matt Forde are the stand-outs.

Just re-reading Robin Friday's autobiography:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Footballer-You-Never-Saw/dp/1840181087

The fact he took a shit in Mark Lawrenson's kit bag entitles him to a posthumous MBE in my book.

I'll post something running-related one day!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

That makes more sense SG, you made it sound like they were hiding you away!

First of my little series of short 'races' tomorrow with Parkrun. Sort of a warm up to get used to 5k pace again before the track champs in two weeks. I'd still like a PB though!