My Last Run

Comments

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Nice 10 miler JD. Seems you are ready for your half.

Break will do you good Will. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Good parkrun Cal, hope the HM goes well today. 

Well done enrvuk on the intervals. Were you pounding around a zoo?

Tried out my new trail shoes yesterday on a 4 and a bit mile recovery in the neighbouring woods.  Felt pretty good - the shoes, the legs were not so enthusiastic.  I relied on OH's navigational skills so the run involved more up and down than I could have done with after the intervals of the day before.  Then spent the afternoon spectating at the 10 mile race in the city.  Was able to pick out several of my teammates, not so easy among around 10000 runners.  First man was a blur, just short of 45 mins for 10 undulating miles.
  • alipat1990alipat1990 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Will,  I'm sure you'll get your mojo back soon.

Nice effort on the parkrun Cal. 1st place in your age category is never to be sniffed at.

Good job in the intervals enrvuk.

Hazel, glad to hear the new shoes are settling in nicely. 45 mins for 10 miles is crazy!!! Especially hilly ones! 

So after 6 days off I decided to test the knee out at parkrun yesterday. It was my first time at the Braunstone parkrun. The course was certainly interesting. The start line is extremely wide across a big grassy area which then funnels into a pretty narrow path. That's definitely not ideal when you have 500 runners all charging to the same path. This meant that I ended up getting sucked along with some of the frontrunners early on when I probably should have been taking it easy. It's a 2 lap course around a couple of lakes, with a nasty hill around the halfway point that definitely thinned out the pack. I ended up finishing with a new PB (22.33) and finished 5th in my age group. That's 22 seconds quicker than the PB I set 3 weeks ago. 

As for the knee, it held up well enough during the run itself, but the pain flared up again as the day went on. I don't think my snowboarding lesson on Friday or an afternoon of laser quest yesterday (stag do) did it any favours. It's definitely feeling better today though so it seems like it is definitely improving. I'm going to try and resist running at all this week to give it some time to fully heal.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    My legs were not enthusiastic either, Hazel... They felt mostly OK and I did 6 miles at around PB pace but it started feeling like hard work after 3, so I decided to ease a bit. Just as well as there was a whacking great hill at mile 8. After that, it turned into a "just get it done" race. It felt warmer than the weather forecast suggested and I don't know if there was a lot of pollen but I was breathing harder than I should have been. I eventually came in at 1:57:06 which isn't even in my top 5, but there you go. I should probably stop doing long races between April and September as I do my best running when it's much cooler.
    Medal and shirt were nice and the event was well organised with a good race village and appearances from Colin Jackson and Dina Asher-Smith. Probably not one I'd do again, though - too late in the year and a lot of running along country lanes which I find a bit boring.
    Now to recover for Liverpool.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yes, Cal and Hazel are right, not a savannah just Regents Park, by the zoo. I hadn't noticed them before, so I assume they've been let out because of warmer weather. Either that or I really do run with blinkers on.

Cal, sounds like a tough day heat and possibly more importantly hill wise. I also noticed a lot of pollen today, when you throw it altogether it's a lot to contend with. You can't always set a PR, sometimes it's just a good workout in the conditions, you still ran a HM in 1:57!

That's a huge event Hazel, which city is it?

Alipat, that's a cracking parkrun and a great PR, especially with a hilly part. Sounds like your knee would benefit from a week off from running and stag dos!

12.6k slow run from me today. Definitely warmer than I like, but manageable.
    Well done on the HM Cal, I think enrvuk sums it up well.   How did you find the Vaporflys over that distance?

Heat is not my friend either enrvuk - need some time for acclimatisation.  The race was in Berne yesterday - the second largest in terms of participants in Switzerland.  It was won by Geoffrey Kamworor, a three time world champion at HM.  He was more than 4 minutes ahead of 2nd place - a 2:06:40 marathoner….

Well done on your parkrun PB alipat, that is a great improvement.  Be careful with that knee.  Snowboarding lesson at this time of year?  I assume artificial slope - be careful with your thumbs as well!

Did my last longer pre HM run today - a 10 miler with some progression up to MP at the end.  Felt good.  Pretty breezy today, maybe the reason why there were very few people out and about.  Achilles niggle has more or less disappeared with the new shoes after two runs already - maybe the bloke in the shop was right about the old ones being too big and not therefore not supporting the foot enough.  Will wear those out nonetheless but use the new ones for longer runs.  
  • Great running from all you MLRERS! Just a quick post from me. After a strange week I managed to get back on the Horse tonight and crack out 4 miles in 35 mins. Legs felt pretty good after a week off and lungs still have some puff in them. Feeling soooo much better for having a run! Phew.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hazel...not sure actually. They're lovely and light and feel bouncy, but my forefoot got quite sore towards the end just as they did in the Zoom Flys. I think it's the plate. So not sure I should wear them for Liverpool. My old Zoom Flys were horrible the first time I wore them for a half but then once I did some shorter races (10K then 10 mile then another half) they seemed better and I had no problems in them at Chester. The thing with the Vapors is, you don't want to wear them in too much as they're not as durable, so, hmm.
    What I did notice was that my cadence was down a bit (averaged 176) but stride stayed long (by long I mean just over a metre, which is long for me - a lot of my slower training runs are around 0.85 - 0.9) even when I was tired. So I think they make a difference, mechanics-wise.
    Well done will - rest day for me, and off for a massage shortly.
    Cal, personally I wouldn't run a mara in shoes without having done a couple of long runs first but I see your point about not wearing the VFs out in training.  It is tales of the fast wearing that puts me off of them so far.  If they made your feet feel sore after a HM I would probably save them for shorter races up to and including a HM.  Hope you had a nice rest day and massage.

Good news Will.

Rather than a day off as planned, 5k for me this afternoon to collect my car (repairs).  No other practical means of transport so jogged it in half an hour.  Very windy here at the moment, any running in the next days will need careful route planning.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

10 miles in 45 minutes is crazy,Hazelnut,when you see professional runners live it's more impressive than watching on the tv.When is your HM?

Fantastic PB parkrun,alipat,that's a big improvement in just three weeks.Good idea in resting your knee as well.

Well done on your HM,Cal,sounds like a tough one,always takes a while to get used to running in warmer weather.Think it's going to be slightly cooler for Liverpool.

Glad you're feeling better for having a run,Will.

Great safari watch,envruk,just needed to spot a few lions.

No running for me so far this week,came down a sickness bug Friday night,feeling washed out.Maybe try a run Thursday or Friday.Going to do Chester HM still but most probably make it an easy run.

I've noticed a distinct lack of house martins,swifts and swallows this year.House martins are usually building their nests in the eaves of my roof by now.

• Hope you're feeling better soon JD1 and are able to get your running shoes on. Sickness bugs are never fun. The arrival of Swallows, martins and Swifts has been slow here in the east too. I think the stop/start weather has made them arrive in small, staggered groups. I did have a single swift over my house tonight though - always a great sight!

I got out again tonight and again felt the benefits, mentally as much as anything. 6 Easy miles, including a section through the Marsh and along the river, where Common Tern was diving for fish. Swerved down the bank and around the 'wilde' ponies and dodged a few inebriated student types, who I'm guessing had just finished their exams. Good to get some miles back in the legs. Weighed myself for first time since Manchester and am exactly the same weight as I was all through my mara training, despite some hefty chocolate sessions. I have been invited to go along to a running club by an old friend. Am a bit unsure as I am a terribly unsociable being. However, it could be good....

I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You're right, JD, I've not noticed any swallows and swifts either. I hope you're OK for Chester. I'd get some electrolytes down you if you haven't already.

Will - go - what's the worst that could happen? I am a pretty hardcore introvert (I'm not shy or unfriendly but I like my alone time) but even though I don't often train with the club, I've got to know people through races and parkruns and it's nice to have people to talk to when you go off to a race. Also nice when they set up cheer points along the course!

Hazelnut - it's tricky. The problem I have is that I have very thin fat pads so I tend to get discomfort there during a marathon regardless of what shoes I wear (I was never able to tolerate high heels for long either, even when I was young). I may just tape up my feet and suck it up.

Lovely weather this morning so my recovery run was a bit longer than I intended at 7 miles. My muscles definitely know they've had a race but I felt a lot less sluggish than last week, averaging 10:41 miles rather than 11+.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great run today - out around 5:13 and had bounce in my legs right away so I did 8 miles with 6 at MP. Startled a fox and then was startled by two magpies falling out of a tree right in front of me. I guess they were fighting or something - at first I thought it was a black and white cat as they plopped down and hit the ground before flying off.
    My HM is on Sunday JD.  I hope you are feeling much better in the meantime.

I would give running club a try Will.  I'm not the sociable type either and am crap at general small talk.  I can always talk about a run or a race though.  I'm lucky that I found a group of very friendly people.  We are not an official club so there is no pressure on anyone to do anything really - be it racing, or socializing. Depending on the sort of runs you might do with the club you won't have to / be able to do much chat anyway! (only before and after..)

Good early running Cal - legs are coming back to you nicely for Liverpool then.  Bird fights can be quite spectacular - crows against buzzards for example.

I did my dress rehearsal for this weekend's HM.  I didn't dress up in my race kit (all familiar) but it was more about doing a couple of miles @HMP.  Windy yesterday so I got on the bus to a village about 10 miles away and ran 8 miles and walked the rest home.  The 2 miles @HMP were a bit quick (around 7:10) but I will blame the tailwind on that.  My goal should be at least not to start off any quicker!

Out for a recovery later may go quite late as it is windy again today.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Great early run Cal,sets you up for the day.Been taking plenty of electrolytes,just need to start eating properly.Thought Liverpool was this weekend for some reason,anyway you'll be in good shape for the race.

Will,I'd definitely recommend a club,they're always very friendly and you'll pick up some good tips.I don't go to the training nights from one week to the other because of work commitments but they still make me feel welcome when I do turn up.

Looks like you're raring to go for Sunday,Hazelnut,hope that wind dies down.

Five very slow miles,I just had to go for a run though,felt better for it and it blew some cobwebs away.Going to get a run in today and tomorrow and see how I feel Sunday but definitely won't be going out with the 1:30 pacer!

Wish I could do the early runs - should probably give myself a big kick up the arse to do so.    Seems like a plan JD. 

Four ploddy recovery miles for me yesterday afternoon - managed not to fight the wind for once but just accept the slower pace.  Wind should be dropping as of today and be ok for Sunday's race.  Forecast is for rain and around 11 degrees.  Should be ok for me.
  • Hi everyone! Glad everyone is enjoying their running and the spring! Some awesome results, and great running.

I haven't posted for a while; life has been so busy, but it's good to see everyone doing well.

My running was going well, although I'm very sore/ injured? At the moment.

I've just been chipping away with my standard 3 times a week running, usually 10k each. Although the distances are going up now on my planner , so I hope my ankles will cope ok.

My new shoes are very different. Having read about how low drop 4mm shoes can help knee and shin pain, I made the switch ( they are saucony iso 2) they are incredibly comfortable and have not rubbed anywhere, but definitely make me land more midfoot and my ankles are ( were) adjusting positively.

I live in Sandwich, and it is pancake flat, barely a slope, let alone a hill to train on. At the weekend I entered a 10k race 20mile away described as "undulating with challenging hills" it came as quite a shock!!

That said, I did ok, managing fractionally under 8 mm, and 49:30/ 62nd place.
    That said, using all those parts of the foot I'm not used to ( I found the downhill stretches just as bad) have left me damn sore but hopefully it's a small blip and won't effect my training plan.

Various interesting spots have been a flock of blue grey turkey things ( later found to be guinea fowl.)
    An old steam roller from days gone by, clearly someone's labour of love.
    An albino squirrel! I'm not sure how rare albinism is in squirrels?

I've made a list of 20 local events ( 10ks 10 miles, half marathons) so have plenty to plan for. I just hope my ankle is ok. Wow! running in the spring (normally somewhere nice) with like minded individuals is a joy after those dark jan- march winter evening miles, solo.

I want to run so much more often/further than my ankles can take and I realise now it's about enjoying the progression and not forcing the issue. Although i have 3 x milers under my belt now.

Enjoy your week and hope you're all fast and injury free!
  • * 3 x 10 milers that should say.
    Is there an edit function?
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Good runs all.

Will, good to see you getting properly back in the groove. I agree with everyone. I'm very sociable, but more worried about slowing people down. I've just joined a club, but haven't attended yet.
    JD1, I hope you've recovered. Absolute 'mare getting ill so close to the start of a big race.
    Cal, sounds like your recovery is really on track. Nice running.

Hazel, seems you are nicely prepped for the HM, hopefully the weather will be relatively mild and you can really get the time your training has deserved. Good luck and we're looking forward to hear how you'll do.

I ran another set of 10x400m, on average 3 seconds quicker than a few weeks ago, so I am pleased with that. Also managed a 30 mins slow and easy this morning.

Aiming to do a half decent Parkrun on Saturday
    Nice to see you drop back in LTT.  That is a great 10k time if it was undulating and you don't normally run hills.  Don't rush the progression to let your feet get used to the extra load.  Maybe it would be an idea to get to a physio and get some exercices for your ankles to strengthen them if you have ongoing issues?  There are probably plenty to be found on the internet but it is a good idea to get specific ones and to learn how to do them properly.

Thanks for the good luck enrvuk - I am as ready as I can be now.  Weather looks decent - not too much wind, potentially wet which doesn't bother me and not too warm.  Well done on your reps - tough little session that.  Have a good parkrun tomorrow.

Another recovery paced run yesterday afternoon in nice conditions (sunny but a cool wind).  6 miles and all of them done at an even pace on a looped route.  The grasshoppers were shrieking, the frogs croaking and to top it all a lone cuckoo was calling from the woods.  Could hardly hear the nearby road at all.  
    edited May 2019
    Ah - forgot LTT: there is an edit button (available one hour after initial posting I think).  If you move the cursor to the top right of your post then it should show Options and if you select this "Edit"..
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Linton - well done. I don't like downhills either, once they get past a certain degree of steepness. They give me the heeby jeebys. They're also particularly rough on the quads and knees so they'll definitely give you DOMS if you're not used to them.

enrvuk - which parkrun are you going to? I'm going to check out Hanworth (a new one that will be on its third event tomorrow). Aside from anything, I've a decent chance of setting a VW50 course record, provided no faster vets turn up - it's currently over 26 minutes. :D

Good luck with your HM, Hazelnut - let's hope you keep those perfect conditions.

As for me, rest yesterday (yoga) and a 6 miler today. Legs felt good again (grumbling achilles aside) so I averaged 10:10 miles which is at the faster end of my easy range. Fingers crossed but I seem to be coming good for Liverpool - this is actually the best shape I've gone into that race as the first time I had high hamstring tendinopathy and last year it was shingles!
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    I am running Hackney Marshes I think (nice and flat), but might change my mind in the morning and do Pymmes. On the tourist thing, Hackney would be my eighth. I looked up Hanworth, but by car or public transport it's a real effort from here. I'm sure we'll get to it eventually though. Good luck with your course record for age attempt! 
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Good to hear you are feeling good and running well ready for Liverpool, Cal. You certainly work hard enough at it.

All the best for your HM, Hazel. I'm sure you'll be on for another good finish.

Have a good Parkrun enrvuk. Hackney Marshes always sounds iconic to me. I must get along to a London Parkrun myself next time I'm visiting the Outlaws. Mrs Will has taken the Parkrun plunge today, with my Dad, which I'm really pleased about. She's been threatening to for a while and I think she'll get a lot out of it.

Good to see you getting plenty of miles done Linton.

I'm still struggling with getting my running into some form of regularity . Partly been busy at work and partly just have a flat patch I think. Energy levels are quite low and my head has been in a funny place for a bit. I did a 5K worth of hill reps on Wednesday but nothing since then. Heading out today for a medium length run and just trying to enjoy it without putting pressure on myself. I didn't get to the running club this week, but will aim to give it a go next week. Like you all say, I'm sure I will enjoy it once I actually get myself there.

Happy running all!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I hope so, Will! Give me a shout if you hit a London run. I've not done Hackney yet so that would be a good one! (I still intend to come to Westmill at some point).

Today was Hanworth, which was on its third event. Nice flat course but a mix of trail, grass and path, some of which was a bit bumpy (grass was quite long in one area, so not the easiest thing to run through in my Zoom Flys!)

I set out fast (7:45 opening mile) but it was rather humid so I slowed down quite a bit - last mile was 8:19. I came in at 25:11 so a decent time but a way outside my best. But it was good enough for 6th lady and an age cat 1st. Which makes me the VW50 course record holder! (At least until next week... :D)
  • That's a good effort, Cal. Congratulations on being the new record holder! It is humid today. I really noticed that on my run. Must be some pollen about too as I was a bit wheezy in places with an annoying little cough.

I took one of my usual routes and did a double loop of the Marsh. A pair of Terns diving, dodged the ponies and just dodged a big hairy dog. Loads of wild flowers in bloom and smelling fragrant. I did enjoy the run but it did take some effort, even at an easy pace of 9:40. I think I've just lost some base fitness so need to get back to running consistently. The new plan is to aim for 25 miles a week for the next few weeks and do a few longer runs as part of that. We'll see.

Mrs Will did her Parkrun with my Dad, which made me proud. It's a big thing for her. Junior Parkrun tomorrow will be my son's 47th - nearly at the Ultra wristband magic 50!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Great 10k,Linton,especially if it wasn't flat as a pancake.Good luck with your future races.

Hazelnut,good luck with your HM,sure you'll do well.

10x400 is a very tough session,envruk,well done.

Great parkrun,Cal,and bagging a VW50 course record!

Really easy to lose some of your base fitness,Will,if not running consistently.Hope you get your running mojo back. 

I've ran 8 and 5 miles over the last couple of days,both runs were very easy pace but my quads are feeling sore,not sure why though.Feeling tired and lethargic today and not really looking forward to Chester.See what tomorrow brings .

Good luck for Chester JD! Maybe go into it without any pressure to do a good time and then you might surprise yourself. Hope you have good conditions.

Well done to family C. for the parkrun turnout.  Seems you have a good plan for the next couple of weeks Will.  Keep looking around you to enjoy your runs.

Well done on the age category record Cal.  I find long grass a pain to run in, really drags at your feet.

Hope you had a good parkrun enrvuk.

Humid here as well today which was a bit of a shock to the lungs.  4 miles recovery with a few strides scattered in.  OH came with me to test his new shoes (Brooks Levitate) and seemed happy with them.  We will see if he uses them a bit. 

BTW. I read on fetch that swittle has had to stop his latest streak due to knee problems.  1232 days and 5355 miles!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hope you got on well today, JD.
    Will, nice you've got the whole family parkrunning with you.
    Too bad about swittle's knee. I do think streaks are a bit foolish, really, but each to their own. I need my rest days.

I think I should have taken one today. The football twats next door obviously had a bunch of mates over to watch the FA Cup and there was a lot of yobbish shouting which went on long after the match had ended. I decided I may as well watch Eurovision since I wasn't going to be able to get an early night, so went to bed at midnight and then still woke early feeling groggy. I ended up not going out until 11 and it was really sticky out there. I was supposed to do 10 miles but felt done after 4. I pushed on to 6 miles so I could get a round 30 miles for the week, but achilles was unhappy. Ugh. One week until Liverpool.
    Doubt you will have suffered any training loss from not running further Cal, maybe just a bit of peace of mind for having run the planned distance.  Sticky isn't nice.  Hope that clears off by next weekend for you.  Boo to the noisy football fans they should have gone to a pub.

Hope JD went well today.

2 min 2 second HM PB for me today. 1:36:57.  I was 18th lady of 363 and 5th in my age cat. so a very pleasing result.  The course was harder than I was expecting, mostly run on pavements rather than closed roads (down kerb, up curb and so much pavement furniture).  Quite a lot of twists and turns as well making it hard to get into a good rhythm, one flight of stairs and a short steep grassy bank on top.  I had checked the route map as always but hadn't noticed such details.  I also set off a bit too fast and suffered by around 10 miles, legs were pretty gone by 11.  Conditions were ok, cloudy and not too warm with a light breeze, but pretty humid. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Don't know what is worse,Cal,football twats or Eurovision.You did the  right thing cutting the run short if feeling groggy.Won't make a difference for Liverpool,you're in great shape.

Wow,fantastic PB,Hazelnut,that's a massive time difference,might have been even greater if not for twists and turns.Bet you're really happy with the result.Well done.

I had perfect running conditions yesterday.I finished with a time of 1:37:06.I finished 420/5273,MV45 51/490.I felt ok when the gun went off,but after 4 miles I could feel myself tiring.By mile 9 I was struggling and just wanted to finish.I think the last mile I was running just under 9m/m.I got over the finishing line eventually which is the main thing.

With all things considering I'm happy with the result.