7 weeks to improve my 5k

So I started running in January, completing the Couch to 5k program, with a time of 36:16. I then moved onto Couch to 10k and completed my 10k on Sunday (70:14) and also managed to get my 5k PB (not sure how!) of 34:25.

Now I want to focus on gaining some speed so I've registered for my next 5k race on 30th June (7 weeks) and I really want to push for a good time, maybe even sub 30 (not sure this is feasible?)

Any training ideas or tips to improve my 5K? 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• The method I use is do 1x10k run and a 5k a week and and the times will come down.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Now that you can run up to 10k without stopping the best way to improve times is to run more frequently.  Without knowing how often you're getting out per week, try do 3/4 runs a week of a minimum of 30 minutes.  No need for a specific plan, just don't run them all flat out.  Lookup fartlek if you want to play around with running faster and slower. 

Also - try get to a parkrun if you haven't yet.  Free timed 5k runs each Saturday and they're everywhere.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi tsiddons - well done on completing both 'Couch' programmes and for the times. 

The good news is that in doing both the 5K and the 10K programmes you've now got the base endurance to be able to push on. That's important as to be able to increase your speed and bring down those times you now need to start pushing yourself a bit harder in your training runs. 

One way is to introduce 'intervals' into your training. These are periods where you run at pace for a specific time, i.e. 2 minutes, followed by running at a recovery pace. You can then build these up in both pace and length as you find you get stronger. It is important to ensure you give yourself proper periods of recovery between training runs. Following the 80/20 principle of 80% of your running is at a slow pace with 20% at threshold might be a good idea.
  • Certainly no expert, but I knocked 8 minutes of my 5k pace by running 15-20 mile a week at 8:30-9:00 mm pace.
  • *not saying you need to run at any given pace, just fast enough to be exerting yourself. I remember hearing 5k is predominantly cardio related, so any increase in cardio capacity will help loads.
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div><a rel="nofollow">JGav</a> said:</div>
    <div>Now that you can run up to 10k without stopping the best way to improve times is to run more frequently.  Without knowing how often you're getting out per week, try do 3/4 runs a week of a minimum of 30 minutes.  No need for a specific plan, just don't run them all flat out.  Lookup fartlek if you want to play around with running faster and slower. 

Also - try get to a parkrun if you haven't yet.  Free timed 5k runs each Saturday and they're everywhere.</div>
    </blockquote>
    I alternate running with going to the gym so typically get 3 runs a week in. I enjoyed the stop start nature of couch to 5k so I may have to give fartlek a try. I registered for parkrun ages ago but it didn't fit in my 10k training so I need to get myself to those now. With a parkrun I might be able to do 4 sessions a week, really enjoying it atm, especially with the sunny weather this week!