The Middle Ground

Comments

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:
    Messaged you.
    Thanks, I've passed their details on.  Funnily enough, he told me he's currently looking for a coach.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Went out on an old 8.5 mile loop and decided to see where my fitness was, so ran it tempo.  Came out at 7.47mm so not horrific considering it's pretty lumpy.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ive managed 7 miles this week and 2 spin classes. 

Will do a bit more next week. 

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Anyone know of a decent 16 week marathon plan?  Gives me 5 weeks to build up distance to 25+ mpw before starting any plan.

Managed 21 miles this week with 62 miles cycling on top.  So building base.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

the p and d plans are well regarded, albeit I find them quite tough. You could look at those and adapt a bit if necessary.

remind me, what mara are you entered into?

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

the p and d plans are well regarded, albeit I find them quite tough. You could look at those and adapt a bit if necessary.

remind me, what mara are you entered into?

Bournemouth
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    There are also quite a few time guided schedules in the McMillan running book, 'you, only faster' geared around BQ times.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Morning all - I’ve been a bit quiet on here since my fall nearly two weeks ago.

Managed 12 miles last week including 2 progression runs, and I expect this week to be similar. 

Not sure what direction to take my running this summer, but either way I need to get back to doing a regular 20 miles per week soon or I’ll lose a lot of fitness.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Did a tempo session this evening- after a warm up mile, 3 miles at tempo which came out at 6.55mm pace. Much better than I’d expected after a few weeks without a session.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Those are some great paces AndrewD

Not much running this week as I've had a niggle - kept up with cycling and swimming instead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sounds solid enough, Andrew.

I've done a few short runs this week, nothing further than 5 miles. It's my local 10k Sunday so that'll give me an idea if I am ready to start returning to training fully. Target for the rest of the year is to try and pb at all other distances possibly with a sub 38, 10k in mind and a 1.22 half. Sub 18 5k is a bit of stretch as in my head even pb pace seems a challenge and makes me feel a bit sick. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Decent run out yesterday on a very hilly course (460ft of gain). As always it was warm and sunny, which isn't helped by an 11am start. I was aiming for a course pb (39.46) but also wondering if sub 39 might be possible.

I was going well then the final climbing in mile 4 took a bit too much off me. Came in 39.03 for 6th place. Happy with that though 2 weeks post London.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Well I'm ticking over nicely - 14k run and 105k biked so far this week, intervals at lunch today maybe endurance swim tonight if I cba, 50k bike commute tomorrow and a long run (maybe incorporating parkrun) on Sat.  The cycling is really tiring my legs, so easy runs are at super low HR yet legs feel like they're working hard.  Seems like good training to me.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well done JGav, sounds good.

I’m ticking over here - my mileage is down but the paces are still good. 4 miles last night at easy effort level came in at 8.30mm pace.

Going to try some 400m intervals tonight for something different.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    How's cricket season going?

Run club intervals weren't on so I did a total of 11k with progression up to MP (and slightly beyond) before an easy 3k back to the office.  Started at 8.30mm and went up to 7.20mm. 

Found deliberately cranking up the pace slowly quite hard actually with 8mm miles feeling like an effort but holding a middle pace (8mm again) quite easy once on the way down.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Cricket has been very rain interrupted so far on both Saturdays - hoping for better weather this week!

Intervals session went well - all 4 of the 400m reps came in between 5.58 and 6.00 pace, which I think is about 1 mile pace. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sounds good both.

10m easy last night. Not as easy as it was 6 weeks ago but it'll come back quickly enough. Off to Nottingham Wednesday evening for a flat 5 mile race. Really need to be walking away with a pb to justify that trip!

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    So 3.8k warm up then 21.07 parkrun (14th) and 3.8k back. Thought 21 was about right given my legs are tired but would love to turn up fresh to try go sub 20.  Takes me to 36k for the week out of a target of 40, do a gentle recovery run for tomorrow.

Having lived in Nottingham for 5 years I am very fond of the city. Enjoy the race dt19
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Jgav, well done on the parkrun. It's a gig ask from fresh legs though expect them to go 20 plus seconds a mile faster.

I don't really know Nottingham as the only times I have been there are to race but what I see driving in and running around all looks quite nice.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

Jgav, well done on the parkrun. It's a gig ask from fresh legs though expect them to go 20 plus seconds a mile faster.

I don't really know Nottingham as the only times I have been there are to race but what I see driving in and running around all looks quite nice.

I went 20.21 there end of last year, so this week was just a slower than normal week.  I'm hoping my marathon build will help me find those extra 21 seconds as I was aerobically limited last fast one.

5 mile Z2 run at lunch - managed an average <150 bpm which for me is low!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Fair shout jgav.

What are your paces v hr looking like?

I tend to work at around 140bpm for easy and less for recovery. My average hr in London was 165 which does work well with the formula of 3 second on pace per 1bpm. So for 140 bpm I would usually expect 8mm and my average pace on my garmin in London was 6.44/165.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    I'm running all in metric and converting it will mess with my brain

Today 5.25m/km 147bpm
    Last week 5.07m/km 157bpm
    HM Race in November 4.25m/km 166bpm
    HM PB Race 4.22m/km 162bpm
    Fast parkrun 4.10m/km 168bpm

Seems fairly well correlated, I know that it takes maybe the first km or 2 for HR to fully respond to effort and so parkrun has a lower average than expected.  I did a HM earlier this year very undertrained 5m/km 176bpm - so I can clearly see the difference when I'm putting in some consistent running.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Lunch run - 9k all in zone 2 and fasted (trying intermittent fasting).
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, likewise converting that back for me is too confusing but all looks good.

A short run and strides last night. Rest today then race tomorrow. I'll start getting back to normal training from next week hopefully.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Went and looked it up

Today 5.25m/km 147bpm 8.42mm
    Last week 5.07m/km 157bpm 8.15mm
    HM Race in November 4.25m/km 166bpm 7.06mm
    HM PB Race 4.22m/km 162bpm 7.01mm
    Fast parkrun 4.10m/km 168bpm 6.43mm
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    30.59 last night. 12s pb and sub 31 so satisfied. 

Leaves me a good 30 seconds or more down on where i really out to be with my half and mara times. Hopefully a good block of shorter training bias will address the balance a bit.  
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    You can't expect even performance over all distances if you're focusing on mara.  A sub 31 5 mile is a cracking time!  

I went out with work run club today.  Session was 3x3 min then 4x1min.  Watch wasn't responding to pace at all ( was showing me as plodding along)so had to run it all on RPE.  3 mins blocks averaged 4m/km (6.26mm) and the 1 mins were all around 3.40m/km (5.53).  not bad considering a lot of it was spend dodging tourists and having to run on the grass.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Back on topic for this thread - I'm loving runalyze, much better metrics and analysis than Garmin/Strava/Trainingpeaks (free)

https://runalyze.com
  • WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Hi all, slowly getting back into it now. Weight dropping but still a long way
    to go but approaching higher upper 20s in terms of miles per week now. Hoping to keep that consistency over the coming weeks. Still relatively slow but average pace is now slowly picking up.

My work has entered the Global Pulse Challenge whereby you are in teams of 7 and record your steps per day. Not my thing as such (although good for keeping active admittedly), but at least it’s keeping me motivated amongst the running talk in my office. 

Thats a solid 5 mile time DT and as JGav says your training has been marathon specific...same happened with RJH at Parkrun the other day and is not worried at all. All part of the process. 

Interesting link JGav, looking for new ways to keep me motivated so thanks for sharing that link. 👍
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

sounds like a v good session jgav. That site looks decent. I pay for strava premium but from hat people have said, I can get better analysis for free on Fetch and sites like this.

WJH, all about the consistency. If you can maintain that level for a few months week in, week out it'll be better for you than trying to push on to 40, then missing 2 weeks etc. Yes, I should be realistic I guess. I don't think I've been able to race this well so soon after a mara previously so that's a positive.

Easy 4m yesterday and then bodypump in evening. Easy 7 later followed by 13 in the morning. That will have be almost back to 40m weeks. Next week see's the inclusion of a normal structure with 2 x sessions and a long run.