Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Poacher / DT - thanks. I suspect that the profile of the Boston UK mara was a reasonably significant factor in finally achieving sub 3:15. I think it would be worth me being a bit more creative with my training routes and doing more on undulating routes.
    Birch - hope you can find your mojo again soon.
    PMJ - well done to your daughter and good progress with the track sessions.
    Speedy - that must have been so annoying.
    OO - wow, that's a cracking 10k! Excellent stuff and congrats on 1st V55 :)
    nicko - sorry to hear that you're going to have to pull out, but hopefully a bit of rest will sort it out. Take care now.
    Had to be home early this morning as it's Miss GD the younger's birthday, so did 8 easy miles.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    "Undulating routes". In East Anglia. Hmm. 

OO - flying!

Still can't walk up/down stairs, managed 71m on the bike today, not pretty but it all counts; dig in.  Running and even gentle jogging seem a long way off.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I assume that’s 71 miles Poacher. Is cycling pain free or also a struggle?
    Thanks Nicko, hoping it translates to 5k speed so that my parkrun times start improving.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

OO - That's rapid! Would you say 10k is your best distance? You seem to perform very well at it, congrats on the prize as well!

Nicko - Sorry to hear that, hopefully it heals quickly. Meant to ask, have you got the Epic React? How do you find them?

Gul - I can also recommend Abingdon, great course and support and very flat!

Poacher - Whats the treatment plan for the knee? Hopefully it can get sorted

Missed Wednesdays recovery run as I got roped into gardening so just a swim last night. 3m with strides tonight before parkrun in the morning. Sub 18 or bust!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    sounds very frustrating, Poacher - but 71 bike miles is impressive . . .  
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Stevie - yes I have the Epic React and love them - they are my Tempo run/B race shoe - used for everything including marathon. Now that they are cheaper (As the Epic React 2 has come out) I would definitely recommend them; though some people find the fit a bit weird.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Speedy, you can't put a price on education. Just think of what you learnt on that course....

Nicko, might be worth getting a physio

OO- great running. As Nicko has said, sub 37 is a time that appears significantly out of reach for me.

Gul, good luck on finding those routes!

Good luck tomorrow, Stevie. Are you off to Stratford?

Decent cycling miles, Poacher. Should at least maintain your aerobic fitness whilst injured.

Easy 10 last night. Felt comfortable aerobically, though legs felt quite tired last couple of miles. Not sure how ambitious to be in next Wednesdays 5 miler. PB pace is 6.14mm and beating that is the first priority. I've gone through 5 miles not much slower than that in half maras previously and also faster than that in a few 10ks. Don't want to get greedy though and blow up at 3.5m.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    PoacherDT  - 378ft elevation today. Nothing by everyone else's standards, but it beats the 11ft which I did on Wednesday :)
    Poacher - keep plugging away on the bike - good miles.
    Stevie - go for it! I'm sure you can do it.
    DT - does 6:00/m sound like a reasonable target?
    Headed out of town for some off-road running this morning (Bawsey Lakes and Ruins, Sandy Lane and Reffley Woods if you're still lurking PMJ) and clocked up 15 miles in all.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

DT  - Yes Stratford, got a couple of mates coming who haven't done parkrun before then going for breakfast after so it will be a good morning whatever happens!

Nice miles Gul, I wouldn't even know where to start/go if I wanted to run off road. The canal is the most adventurous I get!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I'd have liked to parkrun tomorrow but would have been too much having raced Sunday and racing next Wednesday.

Gul, that is the sort of danger zone of pace. If I am running at 6mm, then I would want to go a bit faster to go sub 30 and there is a risk that is too fast for me and I'll blow up early. Just sub 6mm is 5k pace, though I don't believe that I work hard enough at 5k. 9am is too early for me and I don't finish the event sprawled on the floor so I could keep the pace going. Having not gone hard at a parkrun since October i'm not really sure where my fitness is at that sort of distance.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Sorry you're not going to be able to race on Saturday, Nicko.  Hope you are fixed soon, but definitely right not to risk it.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Stevie I think somewhere in the range of 3-10k is my best distance. I got 10:01 for 3000m on the track last year which is probably the best ranking and WAVA. Would love to get close to that this year but will be a big ask.
     If I can go under 18 in my 5k track race on Sunday it would be the 4th fastest by a V55 so far this year- so worth shooting at. A sub 10 minutes at my 3000 track race on Monday would be top 5 in the country for a V55 this year- no chance of that though but maybe later in the season 🧐

DT my benchmark pace (when I can pat myself on the back) for anything under 10k is 6 min/mile but it might be to close to the Mara for you to go that hard.

• Gul Darr said:

Headed out of town for some off-road running this morning (Bawsey Lakes and Ruins, Sandy Lane and Reffley Woods if you're still lurking PMJ) and clocked up 15 miles in all.
    Know the area well. For me 7 miles with just under 900 feet of climbing starting and ending at a brewery  :)
    OO54 said:
    Stevie I think somewhere in the range of 3-10k is my best distance. I got 10:01 for 3000m on the track last year which is probably the best ranking and WAVA. Would love to get close to that this year but will be a big ask.
     If I can go under 18 in my 5k track race on Sunday it would be the 4th fastest by a V55 so far this year- so worth shooting at. A sub 10 minutes at my 3000 track race on Monday would be top 5 in the country for a V55 this year- no chance of that though but maybe later in the season 🧐

The rankings get thin and far apart at that level. I see the top so far is 9:10, then a few at 9:30. Doesn;t seem to matter how fast you are, always a few faster. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Annoyingly PMJ the 9:10 guy is my club mate- a year older and in a different league altogether. Took up running in his late 40s so very little wear and tear. We did a 3000 track race together last year (north east masters) and he was on the home straight while I had a lap to go 😒
    He is also the indoor and outdoor world champ- besides his UK ranking.
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    That is a marvellously fast 10K OO & I hope that your shorter distance and track races go to plan.

Decent 71 biking miles there Poacher. I hope that you are able to cycle pain free & that it keeps you going until you can run properly again. I keep my biking costs down by buying ex rental/second hand bikes; doing my own bike tech/repairs; and by using decent BMX pedals rather than cleats.

Unfortunately, my mileage building is on hold. I injured my ribs at work last Friday & with no improvement (in fact deterioration) I went to the docs this morning, who sent me for an X-ray. I have a cracked and slipped 10th rib & have been told to stay off work & vigorous exercise. Three packets of pain killers & anti inflammatories will hopefully get me feeling better sooner rather than later!
  • Those old guys with young running legs are hard to beat. 

I run with Gary Ironmonger https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=525236 and in 2012 he started and I was beating him easily and now he is running sub-18 5k as a V55 and he went sub-17 last year.

My big toenail came off yesterday. I know in this forum it is compulsory to show photos of such but I decided to break that trend.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Happy not to see the pictures PMJ!   Good progress on the speed and distance - any race plans for the Autumn?

Ouch Fish!  Does running count as vigorous exercise?  How long before you can run again?

Excellent 10K performance and time OO - bodes well for your shorter distance challenges.

The off-road run sounds fun Gul.  I'd second Abingdon - a great event if you can make the logistics work.

Good easy miles DT.  Tricky getting the pace right on the 5 mile race - you could do a conservative first mile at your current PB pace and then progressively pick up the pace from there.

Good luck with the parkrun Stevie.

Hope you can get back to running soon Poacher - is more physio treatment likely to help.

Good decision on the weekend DNS nicko.

Hope you can get the running mojo back Birch - we need you to hit that 65,000 mile target!  And don't forget the club marathon record.

I found the Speed Awareness "Training" more enjoyable the second time round Speedy!

11K recovery run today, including 8 sets of strides.  Haven't done any strides for ages so it will be good to get back in to the habit of a weekly session.

Another recovery run tomorrow and then down to Plymouth for an early start (8:30am!) on the Sunday. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - nothing too adventurous here either - they're all well worn paths etc..
    DT - I know what you mean - it really is a fine balancing act. All the best.
    OO - good luck for Sunday - we know you can do it.
    PMJ - wise move re the toenail pic. Uphill from home to the brewery and then downhill back home would be a good session ;)
    Fish - ouch! Cracked ribs are painful. Hope they heal quickly.
    SBD  - long trip down to Plymouth, but I'm sure it will be worth it!
    17 miles this morning, just around the town. That makes 72 for the week and I'll probably take a rest tomorrow.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    18.04 at parkrun this morning, new PB but not sub 18. First mile was 5.48 which felt like the right effort but couldn't seem to hold it from halfway/ pick the pace up. 5.51, 5.56 then 4.52 pace for the rest. Try again in a couple of weeks on the track!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul, SBD - thanks.  The 65,000 by 65th b'day is unlikely now, as I lost too much focus after the event a couple of months ago. However, if  I decide on a marathon comeback to have a go at the VoGit65 record, then the necessary mileage could see me still in with a chance. As Jethro Tull sang all those years ago, its "Up To Me"  

good luck tomorrow, SBD (though I have a feeling you won't need luck), and good (pea shelling) miles today, Gul  
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    We’ll done Stevie that’s a cracking time- I assume conditions were good?
    I ran an easy 21 mins, saving something for tomorrow. Struggling with a headache today, so hope it lifts by tomorrow.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Yes OO pretty much perfect, bit of rain just before the start so slightly wet underfoot but don't think it would have made much difference. Good luck tomorrow!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    PMJ thanks for starting the new trend much appreciated !
    Fish sounds like you will be out a few weeks at least sorry to hear that 
    Stevie so close next time out it sub 18 should be there for you 
    Birch hope you can get back your mojo soon as that 65k isn't going to run itself !!!
    Took Thursday nightshift of and went racing ! 5 miler in 35:36 was decent enough for me on a nice warm evening for the clubs Annual race .
  • Great running this morning Stevie - definitely shows that sub 18 is within reach.

Good decision on the toenail pic PMJ - I've also got one that looks as though it's about to detach itself but is hanging on for dear life.

OO - your speed over 3000m is super-impressive. Could you sneak under 10 minutes if the conditions were right?

Good bit of East Anglian hill running there Gul  ;)

Where were you out on the bike Poacher - presume it was pretty scenic?

Great to hear you're back out running Leslie - bodes well for the future. Any more races planned?

Congrats to the Woking lads G-Dawg. Unfortunately you're passing the mighty Stones who are heading in the opposite direction - an OK start to the season was followed by a disastrous few months and they ended up 18 points from safety.  :(

Decent set of easy runs during the week for me followed by a day off yesterday so was hoping for a good run at Brooklands parkrun this morning. It turned out to be a so-so performance turning in a 19:53 so about 15s slower than my fastest on that course but I really should be capable of a sub-19:30 there given how flat it is. The only consolation was the pretty metronomic pacing with splits of 6:24, 6:22, 6:23, 5:59 (for the final 0.1).

Aiming to head out on the bike early doors tomorrow to get a 2 or 3 hours in followed by a bit of variety to start the week: Vets 3000m on Monday, followed by an attempt to run the length of the Circle Line after work on Tuesday which should be fun! If any London-based folks out there fancy joining in, let me know.  :)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    So you have a 3000 metres on Monday too Lorenzo? I missed out on sub 10 mins last season by 0.1 of a second. I’m certainly not in that kind of shape at the moment but should get 2-3 attempts over the track season so will give it a go.
    Congrats on the 5 miler Leslie 👍💪 great time.
  • OO - yes. that's the intention but just waiting to hear whether I'll be able to get a lift back from the venue. I'd be delighted with anything close to 11:00 - I managed 11:15 last year. Planning on warming up with a 200m beforehand.  :)

Just over 56 miles on the bike this morning for me
  • SBD. said:

Happy not to see the pictures PMJ!   Good progress on the speed and distance - any race plans for the Autumn?

No big plans yet. Summer target is a good 5k (sub-20 parkrun to keep the record going) and then I may do a half marathon to knock off another sub-1:30. Logically it should be Maidenhead but that is Sep 1st and that is my wedding anniversary so may need to find another flat and reasonably affordable race with spaces spare. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Look forward to see how you get on Lorenzo. 
    The track 5000 was late PM today and I ran 17:56 so just inside my sub 18 target. It was very tough and a bit lonely out there for most of the race but pacing was solid and even managed a sprint finish. I finished 2nd behind a lad who looked about 16 who was only 16 secs ahead. He looked bemused at the end when I told him I was 56 😂. I have a day to recover before the 3000M masters race tomorrow evening, which should be interesting...
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good work on the track 5K OO - good luck with the 3K.

Maidenhead is in the morning PMJ - so you'd be finished by 11.00am!

Good luck with the 3K and Circle Line run Lorenzo.

That's a good 5 miler Leslie.

The marathon club record sounds good Birch but the 65,000 miles by 65 has to be worth going for.  How much time remains and how many miles do you have to do?

Impressive mileage Gul - bodes well for an Autumn marathon - any further thoughts on what would work?

Plymouth HM for me today.  Bit of at trek and, given the 8:30am start, an overnight stay was required but the prize on offer was an England vest.

Training has been going well over the last two weeks so I thought 1:25 was a realistic target with the possibility of a 1:24 if it all went well.

Quite a big event, c. 4,000 runners but not many at the sharp end. Lots of crowd support but a bit packed at the start area.

The first 5 miles (garmin) - 6:13, 6:09, 6:21, 6:28 and 6:29.  The relatively quick first two miles were due to the net downhill and the pace felt in control and on plan.

Miles 6-10 (garmin) - 6:35, 7:00; 6:43; 6:19; 6:38.  The initial miles included a couple of climbs, which seemed longer and steeper than the course profile.  I thought I was hill trained but started to struggle toward the top of the second hill and the legs felt full of lactate a mile after the downhill section at 7.5 miles.  Managed to keep going and pick up the pace on the downhill run through Saltram Park.  Not looking good on the overall time , but just needed to hang on in there.

Miles 11-13 (garmin) - 6:33, 6:45, 6:53, 2:00 for 0.27miles.  Really struggling at this point and just trying to tick off the miles.  Mile 13 runs along the winding coastal road up to Hoe promenade.  A great section for the supporters but tough when the legs are feeling dead.  The final 0.27 miles on the garmin was  tough and I crossed the finish line feeling more spent than I had at Boston!  I was just hoping the speedy V55s has stayed at home!

Finish time of 1:27:08, 88th finisher but only 7th V55!

A 1:26:00 was required for 4th place in the V55 category for the England vest.  Clearly a few more V55s had made the trip than last year in pursuit of the but I'm still a bit gutted not to have secured a place in the top four.  I feel I should have been able to nail a Sub 1:26 and can only think that the initial two miles were a little quick and cost me later in the race. 

Time to regroup and refocus!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    SBD: I've done training runs through Saltram park when in Plymouth for work. Those hills are tough, as is the run back up to Hoe, so a tough one to pace.