New York 2019

2»

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nell-You have a date,some 3:30 are in both waves so may end up in the same wave anyway,and anything to help pass some time will be a bonus.
  • Speedy Ian. The way I see it, the first marathon in a pair is always the A race, until it's done - then the second one becomes the A race. Seriously, if the conditions and body are right you have to go for it while the opportunity is there in front of you.
    The Abbott's are pretty annoying and expensive, I was on a 'run the alternatives plan' until my wife decided to run her first in NYC. Travel packages are too expensive. I have a tip for Tokyo for you - tick the poncho / cape option, someone told me that theory when i was at their expo last year having missed out in the ballot (ran 2018 Senshu Osaka a week before, spectator in Tokyo). Several of my friends missed out in this years ballot, but all had gone with the luggage option. So then, Berlin qualifier gets suddenly easy after age 60 in 2020. That just leaves London, the Poms seemingly have xenophobia about their marathon age-grades? That's my six (or 5). How about you Little Nell, which majors to do besides Japan?
  • Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately Im not in New York, I am however doing my second world marathon majors star in Berlin, my aim is to complete the other 4 by the time I'm 50!
  • Just had my place confirmed !
  • Emma 23Emma 23 ✭✭
    See you in New York in 2020
  • good luck to all in NYC 2019.
    I did 2018... my main advice would be don't underestimate the final 1-2 miles in Central Park..... those ups and downs are a killer!!
  • Hey everyone! Just wondering if this is the main chat group for NY 2019 ? I’ve entered through a tour group - not a speedy qualifier!! Just don’t want to be out of my depth here and if there’s another group point me that way 😀😀
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Hey Max-Hopefully as it gets closer more will chat,certainly mot just place for super fast people.I only sneaked in as the half time isn't too bad when you get to my age.
  • Hi quite unbelievably I managed to bag a ballot place in this years NYC Marathon.
    Just looked at the transport options and it's only giving me the ferry, or New Jersey bus. Doesn't mention New York Library.
    I'll be travelling on my own to NYC, so hoping to meet loads of other Brit runners, plus locals too.
    Flights and hotel all booked.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Hi Pete-Well done on getting a ballot entry.
    I did mine last night and NY library was there for 6am,what time have you put down?
  • Hi Ian, thanks. 
    I went for 0615 Staten Island Ferry. No mention of NY Library, so maybe that's all booked up.
    Should be quite fun getting the ferry I would say.
  • Hey Maxnmuffin, are you still reading this? I got my NYC place via a Tour Op too (I tend to chug round so like you, my time would never bag me a place!). Have you done this race before? I'm an NYC first timer but not my 1st marathon. Not sure if this makes it better or worse!
  • Yes I’m still checking in now n then. Flipping knee has been playing up so I’m panicking now with 6 weeks to go ! Training has been a disaster - but will see what happens 😂
  • Oh anyone have any idea how big the Start village bag is ? What can you get in it ? I’ve opted for poncho option so just trying to think what I can bring in with me beforehand!
  • hello maxmuffin, great to hear from you! don't worry about the knee, just do what you can with the time you've got & I'm sure you'll find a way on the day. if it makes you feel any better, i had a Very Bad 20 miles on the weekend (blew up at mile 9!). i looked like a bag of spanners dragging a dead elephant by the end. a work mate of mine whose done NYC before says the start village is excellent (especially the breakfast apparently). i don't do the bag drop - i just give it all to charity & ditch the rest.. i've just realised how close it is now on the calendar and had a major attack of the collywobbles. deep breath and all!