Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

My club were trying to recruit a leg 1 runner a few weeks ago. 7am start was a big no from me as that would entail a 5am start.

Well done to you and Lou though.

Off out for an easy 5 in the sun. Ive brought my hat and f50 cream. Not sure it's that hot but you can't be too careful.

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Brilliant organising, dedication to duty and running there, McF!  I'd need at least a week off after that :(
    Skinny, I did that exact route a couple of years ago.  Breathtaking views of the crags. Quote: "Bit of a climb with not much of a path up to the ridge".  Classic understatement.  Wainwright indicates a path on his route map and (in St Sunday Crag 5 of Eastern Fells book) mentions a short, sharp pull up to the ridge.  I could find no trace of a path.  The rest of my party opted for a  slow, zigzag approach.  I went straight up towards lowest visible point on ridge but it was a  hands and knees job in parts and a heck of a struggle.  Clearly both you and Wainwright are/were more observant and fitter than me :)

• Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    PeteHew said:

Skinny, I did that exact route a couple of years ago.  Breathtaking views of the crags. Quote: "Bit of a climb with not much of a path up to the ridge".  Classic understatement.  Wainwright indicates a path on his route map and (in St Sunday Crag 5 of Eastern Fells book) mentions a short, sharp pull up to the ridge.  I could find no trace of a path.  The rest of my party opted for a  slow, zigzag approach.  I went straight up towards lowest visible point on ridge but it was a  hands and knees job in parts and a heck of a struggle.  Clearly both you and Wainwright are/were more observant and fitter than me :)

Haha - yeah not much of a path was probably an understatement.

I also saw his comment in St Sunday Crag 5 and had a bit of a chuckle and my approach was same as yours - for final half I was on all fours with my hands doing as much work as my feet and didn't dare look down so we are probably equally fit.

When I attained the ridge I was bent over double and breathing pretty hard for about a minute. I was pleased I was on my own and not having to justify what an excellent route it was to Mrs Skinny.

When I went back along the ridge later I looked out for any signs of a path joining the ridge from that side - there was none.

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    That sounds hardcore, Skinny and Pete!  

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Sounds like we had very similar experiences, Skinny.  Crucial difference was that MsPete was with me and decidedly unimpressed with that part of the route!
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Quiet on here!  I've sorted out a training plan for the summer season based on the Daniels 5-15k plan but jumping in at phase II which mainly seems to be fast reps and tempo. Did 10 x 400m at rep pace which he says should be about mile pace with 400 jog recoveries.  Enjoyed it in a faintly masochistic way.  All the reps came in about 1:28 within a second or two so pleased with that.  The "jogs" were 15 seconds of hands on knees gasping and then a v slow stumble by the end though  :D  

It's blooming warm out today as well.  I've got 40 mins at LT pace to do probably on Saturday and then I'll probably do 12 nice and relaxed on Sunday.  What's everyone else up to?  
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    McFlooze said:
    Hope so Muddy.  I'm planning to do most of the WRRL races if you're about for any of those, plus a couple of others - Leam half and Manchester half.  I've mapped out a training plan that is much more about shorter, faster stuff than I've done before so I'm quite excited.  Hopefully will stretch up to HM ok as long as I maintain a long run.
    Good luck with the faster stuff. I may be available for some of WRRL races - especially Rowheath but just trying to finalise summer holiday parenting arrangements before I jump into anything.
  • McFlooze said:
    Quiet on here!  I've sorted out a training plan for the summer season based on the Daniels 5-15k plan but jumping in at phase II which mainly seems to be fast reps and tempo. Did 10 x 400m at rep pace which he says should be about mile pace with 400 jog recoveries.  Enjoyed it in a faintly masochistic way.  All the reps came in about 1:28 within a second or two so pleased with that.  The "jogs" were 15 seconds of hands on knees gasping and then a v slow stumble by the end though  :D  

It's blooming warm out today as well.  I've got 40 mins at LT pace to do probably on Saturday and then I'll probably do 12 nice and relaxed on Sunday.  What's everyone else up to?  

That's pretty fast McF, well done. I thought twice about a lunch run  due to the heat but will try to do around 10 miles after work as I'm still looking at racing Hull half on June 2nd. After that no plan really but will run mileage around 5k/10k racing then do 12 weeks of more mileage and marathon effort tempo workouts to take me into a half at the start of September, then taper for Hull Marathon 21st Sept.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    I don't think Rowheath is running again this year.  The replacement in the WRRL is Monty 5k which is in Leamington on 21st July.  It's a nice flat one (unlike Rowheath).  
  • DavidHaydon83DavidHaydon83 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Well run McF.  

The last two days have been quite warm so I've taken the opportunity to run to effort rather than a particular pace.  I did have to set my heart rate zones on the watch but this seems to be working quite well. After both runs (5.4 and 8.3 miles) I've felt quite strong.  

6 x 800m @ 6:05m/mi tomorrow.

M 6.4,
    T 6.6
    W 5.4
    T 8.3
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I noted that Rowheath wasnt on. I might try and run that 5k on 21st July though it's 6 days out from target 10k. 

Im building back up slowly. 10m easy this evening, though im home now so will probably go sooner rather than later. Sun has disappeared so will be a good bit cooler. 
  • How are you feeling after London DT?  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    im at that stage now where i feel good and am raring to go but know i still need to be sensible for another week or so. 
  • Ah thanks for that McF, I didn't notice they weren't doing Rowheath this year.

The Monty is the Sunday after schools break up so may not be straightforward for me, so will have to wait and see. Possibly one of the 5m races could be doable.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Muddy - how old's your lad now?  If it helps, Monty 5 goes from Edmondscote track but then goes out around Victoria Park and back. The park’s got a massive paddling pool and nice playground. So quite a nice one for kids to spectate at.  I’m sure Lou or I would be very happy for him to chip in with ours while you run and then you can do a picnic/ice cream at the park afterwards.   
  • He's 9, McF - thanks for the idea and the offer. I'm sure he'd love the bribe of a paddle and an ice-cream :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

10m easy last night. Aerobically very easy but legs were quite tired towards the end.

Small session over lunch of 16 x 1 minute off 1 minute. Just trying to keep things ticking over but also not tire legs out in advance of Wednesdays race.

• kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Hi all, been lurking more than posting, thought I would start posting again to try and get motivated. Still doing about 30-35mls per week with the odd training run, cant seem to get that right to quick/chimp talking or CBA. Did a 10km last week 46.30 and didn't stop, first time without stopping in a race for 3 years. :)  I would love to get that time down, pb is 43.16 from about 3 years ago. So far this week it has been M 8.5 easy, W 7.2mls road/trails, T 6mls road trails, doing 12mls Saturday.

McFlooze - good pace on reps, recoveries are always over too quickly for me

DavidHaydon83 - hope reps went well

DT19 - you do plenty of races, I need to look at doing more races

Muddy - hope you got out for your run in cooler condition

• I found that quite tough.

Averaged 5:59m/mi over the 6 reps.  Last two were very hard.

Easy 10-12 over the weekend and that'll do me I think for this week.  
  •   

I found that quite tough.

:)

Well done though - good session.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Kevin, that sounds like progress!

David, nice session.

I did 16 x 1m off 1min over lunch as a progression from hmp to 10kp to 5kp. Really just a session of lots of strides. Just a matter of doing some faster running but not tiring myself so I can have a good go at the 5 miler next week.

•   

I found that quite tough.

:)

Well done though - good session.

One of your suggestions many pages ago.  Glad to get it done

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Cheers Kevin - yep I did 10 miles of easy effort and it was lovely. 3.5m recovery-ish at lunch today.

Good session David. One I would love to be able to knock out but don't seem able to for some reason.

I like those kinds of fartlek-y sessions ahead of a race DT.

I was going to parkrun tomorrow but some stuff is being delivered between 9am and 12, What's the bets they turn up at 12 ?
  • Cheers Muddy and enjoy Parkrun if you end up going tomorrow.  
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    11mls this morning in the rain  :( 

David - quality session 

DT - I like that sort of session, reps over quickly 

Muddy - long run Sunday?
  • Big-Bad-BobBig-Bad-Bob ✭✭✭
    Hello all. Been a while. :-)

Continuing my attempts to battle back to some proper racing after what's now been years of setbacks through injury, illness and resulting loss of mojo.

Touch wood it's been some time now since I had a proper injury, though did have to pull out of the T&F County Champs last weekend due to a calf strain brought on by some over-enthusiastic 'Lydiard Hills'.

Got my 5k back to the 18:30/18:35 mark in both spring and autumn last year, with one-offs 800m (2:20) & Mile (5:17) during the summer, and was probably in the best shape I've ever been by early November, but got ill just before a series of indoor races meaning I missed the first, performed poorly in the others, and never had anything more to show for it than a couple of long reps sessions of 4/5 x 1k all in a very consistent 3:32/3:33.

Two more illnesses over the winter, the last being particularly nasty, interrupted winter base training and killed my plans for a first HM, but apart form the calf strain last week feel I'm generally on upward curve again now, so hoping to make this comeback stick.

Also hoping to run the 5 miler that DT's entered next week, but missed the advance entry due to uncertainty with the calf, so unless Lit can pull some strings with her old muckers, I'll be turning up and hoping to pick up a no show entry. Also planning to run my first 800m of the year on Monday at Charnwood.

Any road, have been lurking from time-to-time, so am up to speed with most of what everyone is up to. Particularly pleased to see Skinny tentatively back on the comeback trail after his travails, while DT has been the star pupil over recent times finally seeing the rewards for the investment of time and effort that he deserves. Muddy continues to excel, though I'm probably not alone in thinking that if he can catch some luck, there's an even bigger breakthrough just waiting to stagger us even more than he already does. Tommy I'm in regular contact with anyway, and hope his early morning parkrun outing was bearable after our 'exertions' at the cricket yesterday...I was very glad of the lie in! Seems life, albeit in a good way, is getting in the way of Lit racing to her best, but good to see the McDiamonds clan getting back into it having both got very fast, then injured/demotivated since I was last posting regularly. Pete seems another who is constantly on the brink of a proper comeback, and hello to Charlie if he's lurking - there's still regular runs appearing on Connect when I check. How's Mace now? Shame he didn't make it to the VLM start line. Hello to (not so) 'newcomers' David and Kevin, and think I saw that Madbee is now a Mum? Congrats! Anyone hear from Marrows?

Right, clearly that will do for now, hope I didn't miss anyone! Will hopefully show my face a bit more often particularly if I can get racing properly again.  
  • Hooray Bob. Sorry to hear of the winter illness. I was a bit afflicted myself but I'm hopeful for the autumn.

I was wondering about Beeston myself. Many entries going on the night ? I think I did it that way last time ?
  • Big-Bad-BobBig-Bad-Bob ✭✭✭
    HI Muddy. Nothing available on the night officially, but was told last year 'no promises but you might be lucky'. Have messaged another contact from the hosting club to see what he reckons the chances are. Will let you know once I hear back.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Hi Bob. Nice to see you back in these parts. Weirdly Skinny posted the Top Trumps table for the first time in ages and your name was on it and made me wonder how you were getting on so glad you're here. Hopefully comeback will stick. 

Been a busy weekend. Yesterday was my eldest child's 11th birthday so took him and 11 mates paintballing. Then did my tempo session. Meant to be 40 minutes! Which is a long time it turns out. So almost 10 miles in total with warm up and cool down miles. Then we had our annual club awards do/party last night which also helpfully coincided with Lou's birthday. A lot of drinking and a bit of dancing. 

Today I went to retrieve the car but thought I'd get a long run in first for a total of 12 miles. But I got lost and ended up doing 15 miles. With knackered legs from yesterday, a hangover and I had no water or fuel with me. Did manage to find a shop at mile 14 so downed a bottle of Lucozade and carried on. So I've ended up with 43 for the week. But I really want to go back to bed now. 
  • It’s Big
    It’s Bad
    It’s Bob!!

Welcome back Bob - good to hear from you.

Sounds like you’re in much better shape than me.

Well done McFlooze - two good efforts in one weekend.

I managed 5 miles today which is still most my calves can manage. Nevertheless I do enjoy running - makes me feel good.