Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    Shades - Sorry to hear about your race, you managed to finish though which is good. I would have had the pie on the way home!

Ian - Hope there isn't too much damage to the car, no one hurt though which is the main thing.

Khanivore - Well done on running during Ramadan, great commitment. I heard you ran Paris recently, same as me. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I thought it was a really well organised race, the course was nice and flat and weather was perfect.

6 recovery miles for me last night after the little one was tucked up in bed. Was a nice cool evening. Rest day today.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Cal - Well done on the parkrun record!
    Shades - Sorry the race didn't go well.
    Ian - Glad your son is OK.
    Big G - Sounds like progress with the parkrun and walking.
    Not much here.....11 miles on Saturday, 60 mins (15 miles) on the bike on Sunday followed by a 3 mile run....tapering is boring!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it's a challenge to find out how to enter the Barkley, I can imagine you settling down and determined to find out how. ;) 

Re DD fuelling, you were fine on your pre race prep weren't you.  It was just the stuff you'd put out on the course you discovered that you couldn't eat.

Ian - I would definitely consider putting something savoury out, say in the latter stages, maybe Postbridge which is 27 miles.    Most find that they are sick of sweet stuff and relish something savoury. 

Webby - not having my pie on the way home was my way of ensuring I do better next time!

Steve - I agree - tapering is no fun.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Big G-I haven't thought about what food to put out yet as I normally just carry sweets etc.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Hi, sorry haven’t been in here for a while, puppy takes up a lot of my time at the moment. Good to see you at North Dorset. I’ve had a few bad races lately getting stucked into others race plans. So Dorset was my chance to stay away from club mates and build my confidence and my enjoyment. It went well and time is a lot slower than where I was but I’ve put on extra pounds and not been getting the training in. Time isn’t high priority at the moment and know once I can run with my puppy I will build up the miles again. I’m all set for DD and thank you for carb loading tips. I’ve got next weekend off work (work hasn’t help training too) not sure what training run to do.  I’m planning to eat healthy for next few weeks. Chair said I’m close to cut off times but I’m not letting that worry me and take each step as it comes, if I don’t make cut off I would have learnt things by starting. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Khani, the dry mouth would drive me crazy! Well done for keeping up with your training. How did you get on at Gatwick?
    Ian - that must have been very stressful. Good job he wasn't injured.
    Rob, glad the foot is improving.

Rest day for me. I'm leaning towards my Vapors for Liverpool. My feet may hurt but the fact I recovered so quickly from Gatwick, which was a tough race, makes me think there's something to the claims about better recovery. Given that I had the second race in the Wimbledon trail series a week and a half after Liverpool, a trail half marathon that weekend and then a 10 miler another two weeks later, any boost to recovery is going to be a good thing.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, I remember feeling good on the start line and was fine with my food pre-race. It’s just that the food I put out I didn’t really eat as I didn’t fancy it when I got there. Fruit and nut mix plus cheese sarnies is what I left out but I didn’t eat much of it. I did take mint cake with me as well and I nibbled on that but can’t remember how much I ate. I also left electrolyte drinks out (SiS tabs) and did take those. 

Just been out for a 4-miler and it felt quite good to be out, although fitness is shocking!  I’ve work to do, including shifting a few pounds.  There was still slight discomfort but since the last physio and doing the exercises it feels it’s getting better each day. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - have a think about DD food, you want choose something that you think you could eat at any time as you like it so much.   However, in a race it can be hard to eat even your favourite stuff.   I put 3 drop bags out with little bits of food at Connemara, I carried my sweets and electrolytes, but of the savoury biscuits, flapjack and chocolate I put out I could only eat the savoury biscuits.   I might have managed the chocolate but it was so cold it wouldn't melt enough...shouldn't have that problem at DD.

Jelly - it was good to see you North Dorset and you had a good positive run, it is a lovely race.   I think Chair is being a bit harsh saying that you're close to the cut off times. Of course none of us know what the weather will be like.  I last ran DD in 2017 and my best marathon time before the race was 4:44, so that's what 5 minutes slower than what you did at North Dorset.   I reached marathon point at DD with just over 5 minutes to spare and you're a faster runner than I am so I think you'll be fine.   It's going to be tougher for me but I too have the same attitude as you and I will just do my best and enjoy it.   I've DNF'd 3 times, once not making the marathon cut off by 3 minutes and the other two times I deliberately DNF'd at 20 miles as I had a 100km race the next weekend, I still enjoyed the run to 20 miles.

Re training next weekend, just an easy 10 miles will be enough, undulating route somewhere scenic and just enjoy it. 

Cal - is there anything you can try to not have the sore feet during the race?   Different socks maybe, some socks can slip in certain shoes and that can make the feet a bit sore.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - xpost.

I love cheese sandwiches too but I've found sandwiches hard to eat unless you stop and sit down, I guess that's the bread.   Don't think I could eat the fruit and nut mix but I can eat salted peanuts or cashews.

4 miles is great, your fitness will come back quickly. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Shades, yeah, I often crave cheese sarnies with pickle after a long run, but just couldn't get them down (and didn't fancy them) in the race.

Yes, hopefully the fitness will come back now.  I'm not going to run tomorrow (physio's advice is to not run two days in a row for a little while), but I'm walking over to see a friend in Torquay for lunch so that will be about a 7-mile walk.  And then, all being well, I'll go out for another run on Wednesday, maybe 5-ish.

Hopefully you're not all getting fed up with the YT news, but he ran his first race for Pro Direct on Sunday.  Hackney Marshes Half, finishing in 12th out of 17000 finishers in 1:12.  He said he wasn't chasing a time as such, but obviously that's a good run.  Seems weird seeing him in non-Trotters kit though!  Also seems strange that 3 out of the top 5 in that race had no club name.  It's a big race, sponsored by Virgin Sport.

Being nosey, I checked the results and he's not down with any club name, and also his age group is down as TBC.  Not sure why that is.  I actually emailed his Mum the other day (club sec), asking about Run Britain rankings, and she said that he thought he'd still be in the rankings even if he hasn't got a club name, but if not I'll bring it up at committee next month.
  • Shades O2 prices what I saw where £5 for fries, £3.80 for 500ml of pop, £10 for a large (250ml) wine and £7 for a lager. They did have an offer on Bud 2 pints for £11 which if you like that stuff its not too bad, just stuck with the pint for myself which was fairly decent and Elle had a glass of wine which was awful and at room temp.  Well done on the recovery run, hope your toe recovers quickly!!!! Pesky doors!

Big G well done on the recovery, I'm too down on my fitness you know it will take a bit of time but will come back once you're fit.  In terms of the weight this is my biggest issue really.  I am starting to feel motivated by it all.  You don't need to have a club to be in run Britain rankings, as I've had my profile and rankng since 2010 and only joined a club in 2018.  I think PO10 is only club runners but don't quote me on that!

Ian, from my personal experience when I've ran ultras (5x50km and 1x 50miler) I rest completely for 2 days before, drink and eat carbs but the meal the night before will be full of fats and proteins either a mixed grill/ steak/ massive roast.  I agree with the other points about eating early, if you start to feel hungry then it's a struggle from then on, also you can only eat so much sweet stuff later on so defo recommend savoury options.

Steve tapering seems to go on forever!!! but all worth it come race day.

Cal even if the vapors don't boost recovery its the placebo effect that pays dividends.

Webby forgot to ask, where about you based? assume London based doing a hackney parkrun? 

Still no luck shifting DD place, still tempted to get to the start line and seeing whats what as Jelly said I will learn something from it.  Feels weird planning for the race mentally knowing that I may not run.

• Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    Big G - great result there for Young Trotter. Does seem a bit strange about the results not showing an age group. I assume he wasn't running in drag!! :)

Not sure if anyone is interested at all but I was reading a separate forum and someone had posted a graph showing percentage of runs done during training and their respective paces to illustrate the slower running makes you faster point. Thought I'd try and replicate that for my Paris training....I thought it was quite interesting

• Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    Robert - Loughton in Essex, so not officially London but pretty much. I can get into London in about 30 mins via the tube easily enough. I have a friend that lives in Walthamstow and he does Hackney every few weeks so joined him for that.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I love flapjacks so might get some of them,got my drinks planned out,think sandwiches would be too much for me but maybe pork pies cut up or boiled potatoes as I can eat them forever.
    Rob-Thats similar to what I've done for my last couple of races so will probably eat plenty of carbs wed-fri then some easy stuff on the train down and nice tea.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - no, I personally want to hear how YT is getting on. Good news that he can still be on the rankings list for RunBritain, I just looked down the list and it seemed they were all attached.  Not sure how they can identify him as he's listed as a Trotter, maybe he'll have to leave the Trotters. He can't be on the list twice as U/A and a Trotter, although nothing would surprise me with UKA. Would be better if he could enter as a Trotter.  Re DOB, maybe Pro Direct entered him in the race and left his DOB out of the details.

Robert - shocking prices, no wonder some folks give up drinking.

Yes PO10 is definitely UKA club licence holders only. 

Webby - that graph certainly demonstrates the benefits of slower training, of which most of us are  great advocates of on this thread.

Ian - salted boiled potatoes is what ultra runners have been using for years, high carb and salt both beneficial. Perfect food. Hopefully it won't be too hot for pork pies.  I used to know a guy who in his younger days was one of the best British 6 day runners and he told me he used to eat pork pies during the races.  I always have some saucisson when doing North Dorset Marathon, they have it on the last 2 drink stations, the race organiser is French. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've noticed that the triathlete that is also in my running club enters his triathlons under his sponsor's name, I don't know if they have a team registered with the triathlete's governing body. 
    He did well at the 70.3 Outlaw yesterday, 2nd in 4:08.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I'm doing a long run tomorrow,hopefully,so will take some potatoes with me and see how I cope with them.
    In terms of next 2 weeks,in each of the last 2 I've only managed 12 miles so hardly need to taper,thinking of about 40 this week,then 20 in the week leading up to DD
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good luck with the potatoes, not the easiest thing to carry.  I'd quite fancy small salty roast potatoes in the latter stages of an ultra.

Yes, re mileage, 20 for the final week is plenty.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'll bring it up at next committee, but I suppose he may have his own reasons for doing it the way he is.  He is becoming more involved in the club as he's now a run leader, due to be taking out the occasional 10-miler at 8min/miles.  I'd never say this directly to him as it's up to him and he plainly knows what he's doing.  But I've wondered for some time if he may push on to the next level if he joined a quicker group.  He's way ahead of everyone else in Trotters, with only around 3 or 4 current members under 3hrs.  I'm not aware of anyone else close to 2:45 even.  We do have another young runner who is a 1:20 Half runner, but he doesn't do marathons.  1:20 is quick obviously, but YT is 1:09 now so is significantly quicker than even that.  I can't help feeling that being with a faster group would help him - not just the training side of things, but bouncing ideas off each other etc.  But like I say, he's obviously done pretty well on his own anyway!

Good graph there Webby!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I saw that Windermere Marathon has released its date for next year (17th May).  I've booked refundable accommodation that is in a better location than what I had this year, as when I booked it for this year it was either very expensive close to the race or sold out.  They have an Early Bird offer as well, but I'm going to leave it a while before entering, as I don't believe they sell out too quickly.

I'm Interested to read Keith's report of it.  :)  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Big G - of course it's much better YT remains a Trotter and I'm sure that's what he'd want.   There must be other runners out there that are sponsored so it's just finding a way that suits the sponsor and UKA and that the Trotters are happy about as he's not wearing club kit.

But now he's got his sponsorship and the opportunity to go to big races I think he'll soon meet up with others of his calibre.  He's still very young for marathon running so a slow build up to reach his potential is a much better plan, and I expect he's already written that plan.

We've got a couple of sub 2:45's in our club.   I've also got a couple of friends of that pace, they train alone as marathon training is difficult to do in a group when you're doing high mileage and have to fit the training in with other stuff too, the loneliness of the long distance runner!

Windermere is usually the same weekend every year and the 10 in 10 entries for 2020 are open now and have been for a little while.   Brathay are very well organised.   Good that you've got better sited accommodation, it's a very pricey area.   I used to stay at the Travelodge on the M6 which is about 20 miles away but an easy drive and very good value.  You've got plenty time to enter the race, I think they have a half now too that may reflect on the number of entries and the closing date, not sure.   I've been following VH doing the 10 in 10 this year and seeing the pictures of the course make me so want to run it again. but don't know if it will be next year

It's local to Keith, yes we need his report! 

Beautiful morning here, rest day for me.  I've only been out to bring in the bins!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's a good time for YT at Hackney considering how muggy it was.

After doing nothing much yesterday, I got out for 8 miles this morning. It felt better than Sunday's run for sure, but I did go out earlier and on more sleep. Achilles is still grumbling but was less horrible than Sunday. I'm hoping it'll calm down by the end of the week. Not long to go now.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Keep the reports coming, good to know how YT is progressing. Windermere looks great! I noticed there is a 45 mile ultra around there too!
    Ian / Shades - Ultra food, for my 100k, I had pork pies and sausages rolls as savoury snacks, but all trial and error.
    8 miles with 2 at HM pace (6:18/6:17), which was nice to see, but too fast to set of at that pace on Sunday!!
  • Webby, just up the road in Hertford, used to be closer (Waltham Cross).  Interesting graph, my marathon PB last year 3.32.29 (similar to 8.06 MP) yet other than a few recovery runs 0% of my training miles would have been 9min+  

Ian, my aid station go to are brownies and flapjacks, sausage rolls and cheese and pickle sandwiches.  If I come down to DD wont bother with the sandwiches too much faffing about.  Think we're close to a sainsburys.  Ian given any thought to dinner that night? Think we're close to Toby, weirdest feeling planning for a race which I haven't made my mind up running!

Big G I bet Windermere will be a stunning marathon!

Cal thankfully the Liverpool marathon is this week would have been awful with Sp*rs and Liverpool being in champions league final!

Stevemac, the only bit of pork pies that puts me off is the jelly (yuk)

Considered a goal for 2020 (if running properly) Centurion 50 mile grand slam. 1st race clashes with Manchester marathon, 2nd race falls probably falls 6 days after my birthday, I planned to running a marathon on it.  Should be okay for the other 2 dates

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I'm sure there must be a fix for YT,just had a quick look and Steve Way is on there as Bournemouth and he must be sponsored.
    Rob-I was actually going to look at that today,carvery is a good option so will probably go for that.
    Steve-Have you decided what pace you are setting off at on Sunday?
    Ended up doing 10 miles today as I've decided to do a 6 mile multi-terrain race tonight,not usually my thing over rocks,beach and hills but a lot from the club are doing it so thought I'd give it a go,just need to be careful over the rocks.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I saw the Pro Direct video has been shared and although it's not really to my taste with the music etc, YT comes across ok in it.  He was a bit nervous about having to do this type of thing, I think, but he hasn't embarrassed himself! https://www.facebook.com/prodirectrunning/videos/846163675746277/

Ian, sounds an interesting race. There’s one similar near here that is popular with Trotters - I think its first year was last year. I was going to put it in the Club Champs but decided against it as there’s a beach plus loads of steps so in some
    ways it didn’t feel like a suitable race for the champs. It was popular though. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-This race has been going for about 20 years and always popular but the first time I've tried it,sounds very similar,its in our summer champs so thought I'd have  a go.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian - I went out too fast in my last HM (6:10s!!), so going out at 6:25 (I hope) for the first 3 miles, then see how I feel.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - the forecast looks good for the weekend, not hot, so should be good for racing.   Hope the achilles calms down, will that affect your choice of shoes?

Steve - it seemed like a long taper but suddenly it's nearly race day.  I'm sure you'll not overcook the pace this time.  Is your GF running too?

Robert - yes the pub you and Ian are staying in is about half a mile from Sainsbury's and the Toby Carvery is across the road from the store.  I assumed we'd all eat together on the Friday night, was going to check with you and Ian next week re time and what sort of food you'd like. I've already arranged for Big G to join us of course.  I'm happy with a carvery.
    When we had a Shadies meet up at Chester a few years ago we had a Toby Carvery the night before, think there was 6 of us running, and those that didn't do a PB did a season's best, Iain did his first sub 3 that day.

Ian - yes, you're right re Steve Way, he's sponsored by Garmin, saw him in a TV advert and I think he used to be, or is sponsored by a bank too.  I've been in races when he's run under Bournemouth club.

Be careful with those rocks during the race.

Big G - that's not a bad video and YT did a very good job there.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, my achilles generally  prefers shoes like the Zoom/Vaporfly, although I wore the Zooms on Sunday which was when it was being pissy. I think it gets more cranky when I've been sitting around, which I've been doing more of lately due to wanting to rest the legs. Double edged sword.
    As for socks, I usually wear my Balegas for races and long runs which are some of the best socks you can get, but even they don't always save my feet. My problem is thin fat pads - not much I can do about that, unless I want to pay for that operation to get fat sucked out of my arse and injected in my feet (popular with gals who wear heels a lot).

I see Nicky Spinks completed her double Paddy Buckley. Awesome achievement.