Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I just about clung on tonight. Really faded as it progressed and at the rate of fade wondered if i would hang on. Managed to stop the fade in mile 5, possibly with the thought that it was my only go at 5 miles this year and the distance I'd travelled to be there. I felt i needed to justify the trip. Came in 30.59 for a 12s pb. Still poor compared to my longer distances. 
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    But DT, a PB is still just that...a Personal Best - so well done on toughing it out.

I hope that you're overground and not on the actual line Lorenzo! Sounds exciting - what was the incident?

Speedy, you certainly are. Very nice track running.

And great evergreen running from OO too on the track.

Gul, you have recovered well from London. Do you think that your high mileage regime helps with this?

Unfortunately for me, no running for 6 days & nursing my broken ribs. I never thought such an injury could be so debilitating. But it seems that your ribs are involved in nearly every movement that you make! Did a pleasant enough 3.5 miles walk yesterday and will try something similar today...
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    That sounds that sounds like a right bugger Fish do take care 
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

SBD - Unlucky on missing out on the England Vest, as others have said though still a decent performance a month after Boston. I would be tempted to give Hull a go if you feel sufficiently recovered. Whats the course like?

Speedy - Congrats on the county champs win! Are you doing the Midlands champs next weekend?

Lorenzo - Your underground runs sound really good! I always enjoy running in London but tend to stick the the Thames path

OO - You are flying, whens the next race?

Gul - Hopefully you get to do the 100k, I think you'd go really well over that sort of distance. Especially with your mileage!

Fish - Ouch! Hopefully the heal soon with plenty of rest. I've broken them before and its not something I would wish on anyone

DT - Congrats on the PB! I'm also struggling to convert back to the shorter racing but I think its just getting used to running hard again. What's your next target?

Taking the positives from Saturday in that I got a PB and it will give me a fitness boost. Legs have felt good this week with 13 Monday, 4 Tuesday then an 8m tempo last night. Probably the best tempo I've ever ran, 6.21 avg and finished strong. Swim lesson/swim tonight then just a couple of short easy runs over the weekend

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You are right Stevie, the speed will only come back when you focus on it in races and training.
    Im in the Lakes for the weekend so parkrunning at Keswick. Next big race is the famous Blaydon race on 9h June (5.6 miles). I also have another track meet 3rd June with 800 and1500 in prospect.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - good going. So what was the incident at Finsbury Park?
    DT  - well done hanging in there for a PB.
    Fish - unfortunately, it can take a while to recover from bruised ribs, let alone broken ones. Hope it doesn't take too long though. After 9 years, I think I am fully recovered from London, although a physio thought I had probably done some nerve damage; not sure if that repairs itself? But I guess you probably meant Boston ;) Not sure if the mileage helps or not, but I do seem to recover fairly swiftly (or maybe I'm not trying hard enough!)
    Stevie - that's a great 8 mile tempo.
    OO - enjoy the weekend; will be interesting to see how you fare in your June races.
    11 miles this morning; a bit disjointed after opening up for the polling station and then going to back to vote later.

• Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Completely agree OO, during marathon training most of my reps are run at 10k pace so I very rarely run at 5k pace or faster. So this spell of training/racing should bring things on nicely. 800/1500 sounds a world of pain! Although I am considering racing a track mile in July. Guaranteed PB!

Forgot to say, hello Menn! Best of luck for Edinburgh at the weekend

Nice miles Gul

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Stevie, nice session. Looking forward to getting back into some regular sessions now.

Fish, I bruised ribs playing footy years back. You very quickly learn how much use they get! Moving during the night was the worst part for me!

Lorenzo, that does sound a fun idea. I don't have the navigational skills to do something like that!

Gul, lovely start to the day.

I am hoping that specific short distance training will do the same for me as perpetual mara training has. I suppose you are in the same boat, Stevie in that most 2.53 marathon runners would be sub 18 over 5k. My pace last night was only 3s per mile off 10k pb pace and I've got 11 weeks before my target 10k so hopefully i'll be in good shape by then.

Easy 4 lunchtime at recovery then bodypump tonight and maybe spin if I can be arsed.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You will DT and it will take a lot less than 11 weeks. If you can stick in a few short races e.g. track events those will also help greatly. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    DT19: you can tell I've only ever really focused on marathons.  5k pb: 18.33. 5000 pb: 18.26.  Marathon pb: 2.49.  Some short, sharp stuff does help with leg turnover and make marathon pace feel easier, though.  It may only be 30-35s/mile faster than marathon pace, but that's enough for me. (I just need to add about 30s/mile onto my pb paces at the moment...)

Upside of my 3 week hearing being adjourned is that I can make tonight's Weston Prom Run (5 miles) after all.  I'm not expecting anything amazing, but a decent HM effort tempo run should help boost the fitness overall.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Joolska, ha, that makes me feel better! What hearing did you have for 3 weeks?
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm a family lawyer so I can't really say...
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Similar to me then (employment sol) though i dont have the compassion and empathy required to be a family lawyer!!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    It can be draining!

Anyway, 32.18 for 5 miles, so marathon pb pace is now something around tempo pace. It felt weird in that I wasn't flat out going by my breathing but the legs definitely didn't have another gear in the closing mile!
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Did run the 5k and got 20:57 which is faster than I've managed in quite some time.
    A certain Tommy Hughes set a new world record for a 59 year old in 16:14 and the winner crossed the line in 14:30 at 45 years old !!! which is 1 sec of a world record apparently , conditions were perfect and its a fast course .(7 runners under 15 mins )

Dt always great to get a shiny new pb .
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    No question your strength is in the Marathon Joolska. Amazing PB.

I've just entered the North East vets Champs on 22nd June. 800, 1500 and 5k track in an afternoon.

Well done Leslie, standards at your meeting were incredible especially old man Hughes, what an inspiration.

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, of course Boston Gul! Sorry about that. My only excuse is the effects from a week on strong pain killers.

Decent progression there Jools. I'd be very pleased to be able to hold sub 6:30s for 5 miles.

I decided to put my running kit on for yesterday's walk, to make it feel more business like. In the end I covered 6 miles jog/walk and no ill effects - including the first full night's sleep since I cracked my rib, 2 weeks ago today.  :)
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Cross post there OO. Looks like you've a busy track season ahead of you. 3 races in one afternoon...are they in distance order?
  • Options
    OO - that's a tough afternoon schedule. Which of the three will be your A race?

Sounds painful Fish but at least you're on the road to recovery.

Nice going with the 5K Leslie and you too DT.

I'd say that was pretty good going Jools - must be good to have the 3 weeks back, although presumably you won't be putting your feet up and working your way through box sets!

Gul - it was just a suspicious vehicle at Finsbury Park but it did mean that they didn't let any trains stop there for a while. 

Took it easy on Weds, had yesterday off and then another easy 4.6 miles in the sunshine this morning before attempting another tube line tomorrow morning prior to watching a bit of Shakespeare in the afternoon.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - good 5 mile prom run. Focussing on the marathon has obviously paid dividends.
    Leslie - well done on the 5k; that's a great effort. Some amazingly fast performances too!
    Fish - good to hear of your progress.
    Lorenzo - sounds like you've got a nice day lined up tomorrow.
    17 miles this morning; hope to follow that up with another decent run tomorrow. All the best to Mennania in Edinburgh this weekend. Anyone else racing?
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It will depend who turns up Lorenzo. If there is a better V55 in the 800 or 1500 I'll back off and save something for the 5k where I got gold last year.

Nice long one there Gul 

If you are out there Badbark would be good to have an update 👍
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    OO - I cant seem to stay uni njured  when I look at shorter distances and training. I get to V50 in 4 weeks. running and racing definitely changes your perception of this landmark!!

Usual usual here, not feeling it, but then I guess I only need to feel it on Sunday :)
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Yes, good luck Mennania.
    Nice 17 Gul for a Friday morning.
    Which Shakespeare are you at Lorenzo? And are you at The Globe?

Now, my progress seems to be consolidating. I did 4.2 this morning, nice & easy at 9mm - with no ill effects.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice racing, Leslie and Jools. That is some fast race, Leslie.

Nice 17, Gul.

Good to hear you have got some progress, Fish.

I noted a new Silverstone set of races have popped up for this year with a half, 10k and 5k on 24th November. Might suit those that enjoyed Long Marston, also local ish for SBD.

Easy 7 this evening then 13 tomorrow morning. I have been feeling battered after every time i've run this last few weeks, which was getting concerning as i was barely running. I realised that my current mileage shoes have been on the go since January and had probably exceeded 500 miles so binned them yesterday. Hoping a stiff fresh pair will fix that as my mileage creeps back up towards 40 this week.

• Options
    Fish - yes, at the Globe for Henry IV Part 2. I don't go to the theatre very often but I love being a grounding (ie standing up, but right in front of the stage) at the Globe. Not sure whether I'll be feeling like this having run close to a marathon in the morning though. 

Good news on the recovery for you there.
  • Options
    DT a PB is a PB! 

I'm feeling very unfit and slow at the moment. Post marathon slump I suppose. I'm actually dreading running in an England vest on Sunday as I fear an embarrassingly slow run is on the cards.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Good luck Menn. My body doesn't enjoy speed work either- really should be doing a lot more. And hate to say it but I had a stinker of a year when I turned 50 😂 Much better since though 👍
    Chin up DT and Speedy. Hope it turns out better than you expect Speedy- you got there on merit so in any case savour the moment, we’re all quite jealous and proud of you.
    I’m in Keswick and off to parkrun this morning. A nice run in the hills tomorrow should take me over 40 for the week.
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow Menn & Speedy
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Fish - steady as she goes.
    DT - binning a perfectly good pair of shoes ;) Hope you legs feel the benefit of a new pair.
    Lorenzo - hope your Jubilee Line went okay. Have a nice afternoon at the Globe.
    Speedy - hope you enjoy wearing the England vest - good luck!
    Mennania - go smash it tomorrow.
    19 miles early this morning - very pleasant run out in the countryside. 82 for the week and will take a rest day tomorrow.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, we should just all post are finished shoes to you, they'd basically just be broken in! Nice 19 and weekly total. 

13 this morning. I didnt expect it to be so warm so barely drank anything this morning then took nothing with me. Last few miles i was spitting feathers and my system was crashing. Was very pleased it wasn't a longer run.