Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools- they do have laces to pull them a bit tighter. Mine are going away until later in the summer, ill try them in a few short races and see how they go.
  • Sounds like a sensible decision TR. I think the stress is finally lifting at this end - hope yours is too. Are you not planning to use your new shoes for Yeovil?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Lucky escape Mennania! Hope the upgrade comes through. 

TR - nice efforts the other day. Good confidence booster. Also good to see you sticking to the program and ticking off a 5 miler and resisting the 9! 

LMH - glad things are improving stress-wise. 

Thanks for recommendations, have a new starter at work from Valencia who was also singing his cities praises. I really should treat the family. Valencia does sound a little more fun than a travel lodge in the outskirts of the A34. 

Having said that, school will dictate most likely as Amsterdam and Valencia fall in term time (final year). Maybe the overseas trips will have to wait at least one more year. 

Currently resisting the urges to race. Turned down fell relays and probably going to avoid the club 5k series. I hate 5k's generally and work is hampering my ability to get home at a reasonable hour to make them in any case. 

Did the first club session last night since Manchester and was suitably unfit. 3x7 minutes which felt hard from the outset. I thought I had kept ticking over quite well but seems my short solo empo and efforts have been papering over the cracks. Plenty of time for it all to come back.keeping things going with second week back up to average mpw for me and a medium long run on Sundays. 

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    TR - Your ahead of me with the Flyknits, I've just glanced at mine. Intend to use in my half marathon in a month so will give them a go next week. £88 most I've spent on shoes!!  Bizarre economics, when you the flight cost for my 10 year old son to Malaga for my marathon in December is £15 return!
    Joe - Good luck in the half.
    SJ - Listen to the inner voices "You will race, you will race". I find once I have a race in he near distance, my training and paces improve as you realise you have to push it a bit.  
    Talking of which, 12.4 hilly miles tonight in 1.37,  longest run since London.  One hill in particular 28% absolute killer, training with my mate whose aiming for the Snowdonia marathon in July. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    LMH  - the other night i browsed the Brighton results, and clicked on a few runners that finished around me,  a few have gone sub3 since Brighton, so without the wind i fancy my chances, if the stress has lifted a bit too then even better......no to using the shoes for yeovil

SJ - some shorter distance racing might do you good. A club session is bound to be a shock !

OO - i havnt used them yet, and wont until 10k at end of June. Agreed re the economics but if you get 270 racing miles out of them then its ~33p/mile (given your £88). So if its a mara it puts less than a tenner on your entry fee. Given all the entry fees, travel, hotel, expo, race fuel costs that some folks pay its kind of negligible in my mind. The 4% shoes can be justifed similarly but would be more like £25 a mara, although im heavy on trainers so doubt theyd last me long enough.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    TR - Agreed. If these shoes give a 1 minute saving per marathon,  6 marathons, 6 minutes = 1 mile. £88 for the mile, is it worth it, you betcha.  In reality, only £25 more than the Adidas Boosts I use so even more of a bargain.  Don't go there with the 4%.  :D
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I will be racing in the VF4s. Cant say with any authority wether they are VF0s or VF4s in reality but I will be telling myself that I am 4% better off as I bang around. To me the cost is (relative) insignificant given the time and commitment you make. Ive just spent 20 notes on Beet it and 40 notes on carbo load stuff. 

Last nights 8 with 2 x 1 at mp was crackers - first MP  mile I couldnt get down to pace - felt like the last 1k rep of 5 at 5k pace. Awful. Jogged on for half a mile and cruised the second one at 5.47s without a thought. 

Nice MLR OO.

Look forward to seeing you on the weekend JB - Flat cap or headband?
  • Sounds like the usual taper madness Mennania - you're going to be good to go!

Do you still use the CBD OuchOuch?
  • @TR Whilst i have seen a great result in my 4% the outside heels are peeling off like heck. I don't think i'm going to get more than 100 miles in them. I'm an over pronater and it's not doing them well. See how my Sunday race goes before deciding if i throw that money down ever again.

I am pleased to say my shoulder problem is, finally dissipating this week and i am hacking up all kinds of post-cold yellow to clear my lungs ahead of Liverpool in Sunday. Body feeling quite charged too and traditional taper seems to have come together. the forecast is for light rain and a little wind, hopefully it doesn't get up in the exposed last few miles. 

I've practiced the first 12 miles with a local hill course that broadly reflects the Liverpool elevation (3 climbs, 1 descent) which has taught me to run conservatively if I want to keep something ready for the broadly down hill second half. Hopefully I can keep the wheels on long enough and crack the sub-3 again. 

Think I am the only Liverpool runner?

Good luck at Edinburgh @Mennania, you will storm the castle!

Who else is running EDB/ other races this weekend?
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    I sure am LMH, big thumbs up from me.  The scientific evidence will catch-up, but I 'believe' it sure works for me, primarily in terms of relaxation/ general well-being/ sleeping better which all help with marathon-training and race day.
    Good luck on Sunday too TGO, whats your race number?
    Mennania - Agreed.  I didnt realise that Beet it, is good also for faster runners. For me, my pre-race can of Red Bull or on overseas races, dodgy alternatives often call 'Burn' are a great investment for improving race times. I'd take that second mile to show where you are. 
  • There's good evidence for the nitrates in beetroot being good for athletes at any level OuchOuch - and there is some positive research for the CBD but it's expensive as a supplement otherwise I'd probably give it a whizz.

Glad to hear that you are coming good in time TGO.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    It's lucky I glanced at my diary today and realised it was the Weston Prom Run tonight (5 miler).  I'm not expecting great things, but a 5 mile tempo run with company will do me good!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    OO - not much more expensive than your Boosts is another justification plus.

Menn - taper mp runs always feel rubbish.

TGO - agreed, i doubt id be able to use the 4% as im heel heavy on shoes. Go well Sunday.

Smash it Jools.

I typically do a slower first mile in the 6m mp in my 9m and then drag the average back to av around 6.50 overall as the first 2m are quite undulating.Today i strangely averaged 6.37 overall, which is more getting back towards the old days. Most surprising.
  • Good news TR.

Enjoy Joolska.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    32.18, so something around marathon pb pace!! I wouldn't say it was flat out from my breathing, but my legs didn't have another gear in the closing mile. I guess that's months of very little running and no speedwork for you... But a good workout, surprisingly fun and hopefully when the next series starts in September I'll be a lot faster :)
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    That is good news TR. Good time to be running at that pace. 
    LMH - £16 for 180 capsules on Amazon.  
    Hope you had a good run Joolska, sounds an ideal distance for an evening race. 
  • It's good to have the benchmark Joolska.

How many do you take a day OuchOuch?
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    TGO - good luck at Liverpool. Hope the wind doesn't pick up too much. 

Mennania - good luck to you too up in Edinburgh. Look forwards to both reports. 

TR - taper already taking effect. Good news indeed. Cotton wool time for sure. 

Jools - nice one on the 5. A nice marker laid down for sure. Glad things have turned a corner for you. 
  • Thank you @TR , @Little M.iss Happy, @OuchOuch - race number 1027.

Are the Beets better as pre-race shots or capsules? Bit late to try something new for Sunday but curious for the next race...
  • I think you're supposed to take them for a few days before to get the full effect TGO.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Just returned from a work trip, so I'm catching up. I did a couple of 10M runs on the trip, and a 5M, and some jogs in my work clothes and rucksack just to get places, totalling something like 75M in the week from last Sat. And interestingly, I wasn't ploddy -- the 10M runs were 7:30-7:40/M, none of my usual going out to 9+ min/M. Admittedly I wasn't running doubles though. But I still have some hope that landing my right foot better, and strengthening that ankle, might be helping.

And back at work today, I had a parcel waiting for me with a second-hand pair of VF 4%s. My plan is to give them a little try as-is, but then do my usual trick of taking a chunk off the heels (hence wanting to start with a less than pristine pair). Watch this space.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Jools - good that you enjoyed it, and it gives you a starting again marker.

CW - hope the experiments go well.

Just 4m for me today, 18 to 20 tomorrow will see me hit mid 60s which is where i aimed to be.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Coming togethetr nicely by the looks @TR.

Go well TGO!

Usual here, sundays coming up fast

• So whats the ultimate set up for a PB then? the 4%'s, Beetroot supplement combination :)

CW - Im a 4% virgin no more -although this was only a jog around in my mates pair at the masters relays last week. Bit strange with the squashy bit then the firm plate below. Saying that - new Adios turned up this morning, still do me OK, lovely shoes!

Best of luck to the marathoners.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

Not been on for a while - busy with work and family stuff. Sounds like people are going well though, especially TR. I also spotted Menn's incident with the barb wire - what is wrong with people?!

Jools - not a bad result and gives you something to work from.

Menn - I often struggle on the first rep of any session, and it then gets easier, before getting harder again at the end!

Anyone been following Marigold's Comrades training on Strava? He's done a total of about 280M over the last two weeks in the Alps! Will be interesting to see if he can improve on his last result there (which was amazing itself).

First midweek road race league fixture last night. I wasn't expecting much given recent lack of training (averaging about 30mpw for a while) but managed to just about break 34 mins (33:55), coming 4th. The people ahead I would have expected to beat in previous years, but the winner was only 15s ahead so not too bad. First lady was only about a minute behind me, but she is a fairly decent triathlete: see here.

I had absolutely nothing left at the finish, and it confirmed my view that 10k is the worst distance to race.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    All the best for sunday Menn

Padams - still top racing given your low miles, and only 15 secs away from the win.
  • I don't know how you do it Padams.

Hope we have some good results this weekend - remember - DBS guys!

Mad as ever Charlie  :)

I'm debating whether to do my last long run tomorrow TR as the forecast for Sunday and Monday is pretty pants and I don't really want to leave it any later than that but if I did it would make this week a big one. I'm just not fancying a wet and windy run if I don't need to, I've been enjoying the warmth.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - it was a bit warmer when i ran home mon and weds evening but certainly not like mid day temps. Ive still needed long sleeves and gloves for my morning runs. Hopefully it'll be warm when i run tomorrow, just in case Yeovil gets warm in the last hour, but its a 9am start so shouldnt warm for too long, a windless day would be good (after Brightons winds).
  • It was quite warm last year if I remember correctly TR - about 12C at the start?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Maybe, i know i wasnt cold as i walked most of the way round.