VLM 2019

1171819202123»

Comments

• Having got my Six Star Marathon Majors in Tokyo earlier this year, I found getting into Tokyo through the ballot was the hardest.  It was also the most expensive as a trip.
    My personal preferences in terms of overall experience are in the following order:

London - best by far - done it 35 times now
    Chicago - nice friendly city
    Berlin - good running experience - done it four times
    Boston - because it is the most prestigious
    Tokyo - Because it has to be done, but friendly people.
    New York - Over hyped, over priced, rude people - typical Yanks

Not asking anyone to agree with me as we all have our peronal experiences

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Portlander - that's a good deal for NY.  Might be worth a look at the sports tour companies too and see how their prices compare, they're expensive but also guaranteed entry.   I've done NY and loved it.

Cheerful Dave - yes, you're right, it used to be a lot easier for overseas runners to get a place than it is now.

MrM2 - I think the GFA times are based roughly on what the other majors have as their GFA times, wasn't that the reason they amended London's GFA times for the 2019 race.  Also if they get more than the 3000 entries for each gender then I guess they'll tighten up the times again in the future.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Shades -the GFA times are only going to get more difficult. Can't have too many of these pesky runners taking away places from fancy dress / charity plodders.
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    The original 1st aim of Chris Brasher's London Marathon was:
    • To improve the overall standard and status of British marathon running by providing a fast course and strong international competition
    Reducing the number of GFA and Club entries seems to go against this. They should increase the number of these places - and championship places.
    They should also have a sensible cut off time for a marathon run. It is a run. It's not a marathon walk. There are plenty of walking events to enter for anyone who wants to take 7 hours. 
    A pace of 5 mph, or 12 minute miles, gives a finishing time of 5 and 1/4 hours. That should be the cut off.
  • portlandersportlanders ✭✭✭
    That would be, and is a similar rule for many a marathon, but London is now predominantly a charity event 1st, and a marathon 2nd. 
    Don't get me wrong, it winds me up when people to turn up to participate in a marathon with little or no training, and no intent to run the course. 
    I don't think the support from the crowds would be as it is though if it wasn't a charity event. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

The new system means they don't really have to take the controversial step of actually changing the GFA qualifying times as it will work like Boston and the standard will set itself. You hit the time to qualify to apply, then the actual time is decided by the standard of those applying upto 3000.

Every time they reduce GFA times it just creates uproar and negativity. This way they never have to take that measure again.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Fish52 said:
    The original 1st aim of Chris Brasher's London Marathon was:
    • To improve the overall standard and status of British marathon running by providing a fast course and strong international competition
    Reducing the number of GFA and Club entries seems to go against this. They should increase the number of these places - and championship places.

I think it does a great job of this aim. It consistently has the best elite fields of any major marathon and provides by far the best opportunity in the country for faster runners to run a good time. If you're off the champs start it's quite likely it's the only race in the UK where you know there'll be a good group to run with. There is no limit to championship places.

I see that GFA is mainly to fill up the roads between 2:45 and 3:00, then you need to provide a similar opportunity for women and athletes of all ages. I've got no problem with the GFA times, but I'd think it would be best to have guaranteed entry for getting the time rather than also having a number limit.
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    All fair enough.
    I have no problem with the GFA being stricter. I've run London with GFA over the years from having to get 3 hours to now being old enough that 3:20 is the mark. I just think that only having 6000 places out of a field of over 40000 is disproportionate. 
    The 3rd aim:
    • To raise money for sporting and recreational facilities in London.
    has been superseded by big charities. Once the Elite races are finished the BBC coverage switches to people who are running for charity, as if that is the only other laudable reason for running. Don't get me wrong, London is an amazing event - & I know that there are many other fine marathons around the UK and the World - but London seems to have lost its way & moved away from its original aims.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    People say to me that they'll keep an eye out for me on the tv. I always explain that I am in that awkward middle sector that is of no interest to the tv. However, the coverage this year showed the finish line and finishers streaming in from just before me crossing the line for about 7 minutes so taking in the 2.55 through to about 3.02, which was the first time I had seen that.
  • dave wood 4dave wood 4 ✭✭✭
    DT19, call me cynical but, y opening the lottery during the race they are going to get many, many more applications, some 457,000 this year, now, if say 5% opt for the “pay now and maybe get another chance with the 1000 extra place ballot,that puts about £900,000 straight into their bank account, so the more they encourage to enter the bigger the amount 
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Good morning to you all. I am just having a slight panic, I had a really great time at London Marathon this year so my partner and I registered for 2020, only problem is we used her email details and both confirmations have gone to her inbox. 1, does this mean I’m not in the ballot or 2, they will disqualify us both for it. Probably know it seems trivial but it’s worrying me,😢
  • portlandersportlanders ✭✭✭
    You'll be fine as both confirmations went to her email box, so will any further comms. 

If you both get in, you can email them to change your email address if you would prefer. 
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for that portlanders, just puts our minds at rest lol, we know, realistically that we’ve very little chance of success,but, “you’ve got to be in it,to win it “, good luck everyone.
  • dave wood 4dave wood 4 ✭✭✭
    Alit you’re right, you’ve got to be in it to win it, you’ve got VERY little chance of getting in via the lottery , probably about 1in 40, but good luck,each year it will get harder until the powers to be acheive their ambitions and make London Marathon a totally charity only entry,glad I’ve called it quits 😎
  • Snail2Snail2 ✭✭✭
    Fish52, the third aim certainly hasn't been superseded, even if it now dwarfed by the funds raised for directly for other charities. Any surplus arising from the race (and other events organised by LMEL) goes directly to the LM Charitable Trust, which then distributes it to meet that "sporting and recreational facilities" aim, largely in London. Typically around £4-5m a year.
  • Hello there peoples just wanted to catch up and say a couple of thanks 1to the charity for the chance to take part in London Marathon we raised 172 pound more than target so all very happy 2 to Dave for his help advice with travel hotel especially start 3everyone in crowd for making us feel special thanks again charity has offered place for next year but can’t ask same folks again to dip into pockets so declined we’ve entered lottery so could do it again maybe hope you all get on okay JandR🍻