Comrades 2019

Comments

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Excellent result Debra, congratulations!  You would have been in good form for Comrades :-)

McH - good work too!  It's nice when the running feels comfortable.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Sub 10 hours is great Debra and you were under it by a good margin.  Well done on your age category prize.

Great that you had a comfortable run around Windermere McH.
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    McH great to see you yesterday and you looked very strong coming into the last mile.  Good to get the last long run out the way, even though I suspect I pushed harder than I should have done yesterday.

Debra, great result - many congratulations
  • jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Congratulation on the NDW50 Debra, nice to pick up the prize for sure!

Had my longest training run of the whole campaign last w/end at the Rennsteiglauf in Germany, as I wasn't chasing any time, I stopped at every aid station to sample what was on offer & even had a beer at the last one with ~8k left to go :) Have a hilly trail/road marathon on the list for next weekend but needless to say I'll be taking it very easy there.

• johnny1984johnny1984 ✭✭✭
    Hello all. I've been reading these forums for a while, but now I have a question for the Comrades experts!

I was planning on running my first Comrades in 2020 and assuming that I'd then feel compelled to try for back to back in 2021. However, now that 2021 is going to be a down run for the centenary, does anyone know if they will let 2020 novices go for a back-to-back medal in 2022? Or would I have to do 2021 and 2022?  It would help me to do next year as planned and have the gap to save up money, but if I have to I will defer to 2021

sorry if the answer to this question has been published by the race organisers, but I couldn't find if

many thanks and good luck everyone for next month 
  • Last time they did this they made a special medal - front to front rather than back to back - others will be able to inform you better than I can.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure of the policy.  It used to be that you had to do your first two runs and in consecutive years and it didn't matter if these were both down runs, but I'd heard that the approach had softened more recently.  The race organisers aren't the best at providing information though so the safest approach if you want a back to back is 2020/2021 or 2021/2022.
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    I did the last double down and got my back to back for that, and it was a different medal design to normal apparently (see below - as I don't have anything to confirm it against)

Thanks all. On reflection I simply can't wait, I must have watched every single Comrades video on YouTube! So I'm decided- 2020 is my target. Been over a year since I did a marathon and need to start from square 1, but hopefully slow and steady will finish the race....
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    That's the spirit Johnny.  I can say for certain it will be a decision you will not regret!  An Autumn marathon would be something to work towards.
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Nice pic JK, looks like your preparations have gone according to plan.
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Mac3">Mac3</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">That's the spirit Johnny.  I can say for certain it will be a decision you will not regret!  An Autumn marathon would be something to work towards.
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/johnny1984">johnny1984</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Mac3 said:

That's the spirit Johnny.  I can say for certain it will be a decision you will not regret!  An Autumn marathon would be something to work towards.</div>
    </blockquote>
    I haven't got the hang of quoting yet!

i have entered Yorkshire marathon. October 20th which I think might just squeeze it into being a comrades qualifier for 2020

i have had a complete break from running for 4 months due to various reasons (excuses?) but if I can use 2020 as my motivation hopefully I can get back into a routine
  • Can someone (anyone!) do me a favour and forward me the International email they sent out today/yesterday. I've deleted it by mistake  :/. My email is max79@blueyonder.co.uk. I did notice somewhere it listed availability at aid stations as 'water & Cocacola', but no mention of the isotonic drinks/sachets? I drank about 50 of them last year so am in a bit of a panic now about energy/salt replacement!
  • Sorted! Thanks lowrez
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    No probs Max, I was simply expecting them to provide the same isotonics as usual, they have the past 4 years - just to be sure here are we talking "Energade"? 
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Apparently Energade will be available. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Will it? They aren't on the Supplier List?
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    A green number posted it on Facebook and he normally has good info. John Sneddon. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ahh, good old "Sneddy" :)
  • Lowrez - welcome back. Cool picture. Good luck with your race tomorrow.

Lots of great running going on but nearly there now

Debra - well done on your race. Fantastic result and 1st over 50 :)

Terry - what a saga with your health. At least you can move forwards (still carefully) and aim towards Berlin which could be your Comrades qualifier :)

• Thanks for the update on the Energade Becca. Fingers crossed.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Johnny, best race ever, you won't regret it!!!!

In terms of that being a qualifier, providing the same dates apply as in previous years, qualifying for the next years Comrades takes place from the 1st September until early May. Best idea is to nail your qualifier early and then no pressure when the mileage starts to increase the following year. I would imagine as well that there will be other Comrades runners using that one as a qualifier as well since its fairly flat :)

JK - nice run. You like you are soooo ready for this years race ;)
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Not too long now. For those staying home then glad they have sorted out the TV rights. Missed watching the coverage of the Two Oceans.

Seriously giving thought on the 100yr anniversary run......it does get under your skin doesn`t it???  
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Mr K - it will be great to see you for the 100th anniversary! I must admit this 100th has taken me by surprise, as when I ran my first Comrades in 2015 there was lots of fuss and merchandise for the 90th.... and just 6 years later it will be the 100th. They celebrate both the anniversary of the first run and also the number of runs, which differ due to a few years when it didn’t happen..... it’s very clever marketing!  I recall thinking after I had finished my first Comrades that I wasn’t going to fall for all this marketing b******t and the back to back had no appeal, yet I found myself returning. Maybe I have fallen for the clever marketing, but I don’t think that’s my reason for continuing to turn up. I think it’s far more to do with the friendships you make emotional tug of the event that means people keep returning. So looking forward to seeing you Mr K for the 100th anniversary, and also hoping  to keep running every year to 2025 and gaining a green number in the 100th running of the event!
  • jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    Got through the last long run on Sat at the Burren marathon so into taper time now. Going as follows 73.9k -> 42.2k -> 21.1k -> parkrun at Northbeach =====> Comrades! Must admit I was a bit worried about the last marathon but it went ok. Unfortunately the plateau was covered in fog coming from the sea so the normal spectacular views weren't available. Plenty of climbing & descending so good pref for SA I hope.

Fingers crossed the next two weeks are enough to get over all this and get me to the finish line in Petermaritzberg in one piece!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

Axl Rose ran the Liverpool Rock n Roll 5k and marathon this weekend netting 4 bits of bling, the Remix for running sat(5k) and sun(marathon) and the Encore for having run the marathon last year and this year. Saw Camilla, her and mum were official 5 hour pacers. Made me feel I wasn't that crazy running a marathon this late, they are of course coming out to Durban for a jog soon. Clocked 26 mins for the 5k and 4:52 for the longer bit :) Tapir time!

• Great bling, lowrez, and well done.
    jkissane, well done at Burren marathon.

Terry, Mc Hilly, marty, Mac 3, Becca, Peter, jkissane, Southern Snail, thanks.

It was the long recce for Lakeland 50 today, so I spent a little over 7 hours running and walking (ore walking that running) from Pooley Bridge to Ambleside about 28 miles. Very glad I did it as I am now less likely to go wrong on the day.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Good running all nice to see everyone going well

My running club had their Comrade dinners on Friday night.  The guest speaker was certain Louis Massyn - 46 Comrades since 1973.  He was inspired to run after the Bishop of Bloemfontein used the Comrades in his sermon.  The entry fee was 5 Rand, his first shoes were 24.95 Rand and then he bought a second pair for 4.99 Rand. The first is now vinyl wrapped for posterity and the second pair is on display in the Museum.  His brother was his mobile second on a bicycles, with his 'sustenance' of orange juice.  He asked one of his fellow competitors what was this 'black drink' he was having - it's 'Coke' he said.  He was at Parkrun too on Saturday morning and I didn't need to have a smackdown as I paced my son to a new PB of 28.30.

Saturday morning I woke up with a bad back and my last long run (26km) on Sunday was confidence shattering and I was in a real state when I got back.  I also wore my new shoes that I've bought for the race so I don't have confidence in those either.  2 weeks now to fix my back which should be possible.  Good news is that my hips were feeling their best in years.

I've finally booked accommodation, booked time off work, got the kids out of school.  So this dream is getting real now.

Is anyone getting heat acclimatised this year?
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, great out and bling - also a comfortable time!

Bike It, Sorry to hear of your latest setback - I hope you get over that well and soon!  I enjoyed the Louis Massyn story.  My first Comrades was 1978 and , yes, Coke was the main form of energy and often still is for me! More of you should try it - you just need to add a 'slowmag' or magnesium tablet a few times to avoid cramps on an ultra.

I arrived in SA yesterday and am currently with family in Sedgefield before working my way gradually to Durban, via 4 days in Jo'burg then 3 days Scuba Diving at Sodwana Bay.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all in Durban and just wish I could have been joining you in running the 'Big C'.

All, Enjoy taper time and take care.