Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Fingers crossed, Kevin that it isn't anything serious. 

Mcf, the Autumnal 5 hasnt run since 2016 now. There also used to be the corporate 5 and the Easter day 5. I did spinx 5 last year. It just doesnt fall well for me as always a few days after Welsh Castles. I'll try out Ryton next year. 

The easiest access 5s are the Centurion series. They just never seem to fall on a weekend i can do. 

The other point of note is that centurion, Ryton and Trent 5 are classed as multi terrain so if you want it as a power of 10 pb you are left with Sphinx 5. 
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, sorry forgot that about Autumnal.  There are more 10ks, less 5 milers than there used to be.  I've only done Centurion once.  Wettest, coldest most miserable race ever but on the plus side the only race I've ever won (all the sensible people stayed home in the dry) so remembered fondly  B)
  • Big-Bad-BobBig-Bad-Bob ✭✭✭
    Careful stretching an acute injury, Kevin. Ice and rest are usually a safer option until it's settled down. Hope you get over it quickly.

Sounds a good plan, McF.  :) Good luck tonight, and I like the story of the Centurion win! 

Might have been tempted by the Sphinx 5 if it fell conveniently as I work in Leicestershire, but it clashes with our Summer League race unforch.

Right, Trent 5 report coming up.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes, i was there that day, Mcf. 

Im not quite sure what happened to the corporate or Autumnal 5. They were both good, popular races. The Easter 5 is now a 10k at Stoneleigh of course. 
    edited May 2019
    The chances of picking up a place seemed remote, but as mentioned yesterday the race route would be decent  enough for the session that I'd do instead, so got there early and chanced my arm. 'How much is it  worth?' the hosting club chap smiled, so picked up one of the two cancellation places they had available,  which at £6 a pop was arguably as much of a bargain as the breakfast cobs and hot drinks deal at the nearby  cafe.

Started my warm up with a jog back to the car to pin on a number for the second time in 3 days, and just  before getting there heard a shout of, 'Bob?' 

After our, 'I'm sure I know you but can't place you' nod of acknowledgement at the National Relays last month, I finally got to meet DT properly. As we were chatting, along strolls Tommy as well. Bit more chatting then we  let DT get off for a loosening warm up after his long drive. I take in a section of the course down by the  river on mine and holy heck the midges are horrendous - that stretch of the race might not be much fun.

Catch up with DT again at the start line, and we position ourselves 3 or 4 rows back behind some likely  looking types at the front - the winner ends up with 25:29. We discuss targets (as per above for DT) while  I've no idea at all really what to expect, not having raced anything more than 5k in 11 months. Although it  came when I was generally at my best in 2015, my 5m PB at 31:08 is certainly soft with an average pace worse  than my 10k best, so having been feeling relatively comfortable either side of 6:25/m in some recent long  tempo sessions, I figured that a first mile in 6:10 to 6:15 would both put me in position to have a crack if  it was in me, but not ruin me completely if it wasn't, and at which point I'd be quite happy to dial it down  to a hard tempo rather than a racing effort.

It's a narrow, congested start so plenty of weaving in and out of the early optimists towards a sharp  turn across a canal bridge before we head down on to the main part of the course towards the river. DT  does less well negotiating the optimists so I'm not sure how far back he is, but I've got a lead on him for  the moment - though I know it's not going to last long. Swept along by race adrenaline, we're about 6:02 pace or so when I have a first proper look which as expected at this stage feels fine and isn't too daft, but I try to find a slightly steadier rhythm. 
    The path narrows again as we head down towards the river, so although the field has strung out somewhat since  the start, this reintroduces some congestion, and sure enough at this point a salmon vest leaps through a gap  that's barely there - ah, DT I've been expecting you! He wriggles past a few more including a couple of the  early enthusiasts who are still ploughing away for now: a chap in a fashion t-shirt and an enthusiastic kid. We're approaching the mile mark though, and they've lasted longer than I expected.

6:09 for the first mile, inside PB pace and although it's warm, I'm still feeling good so resolve to keep the  pace honest for at least another mile. The midges are also not as bad as I was fearing...I think DT must have  hoovered them up before I got to them, he certainly had a small army of them on his chest after the race!  Fashion t-shirt finally fades, so nip past him, where I then come across enthusiastic kid with his uneconomic  running style that is now descending into flailing arms and a rolling head...oh dear, the next 4 miles are going to be brutal for that young man.

A decent little group then begins to form ahead of me, including two blokes and the first lady from Desford Striders, Ilkeston RC and Erewash respectively. All look like they're running sensibly, and I've raced alongside the latter before, so attach myself to the back of them for the next mile or so - 6:15. Still on pace, but only just and I sense we're slowing, so look up the path and make for the next group including a Hatton Darts RC runner I'm sure I've chased round a parkrun previously. Can still see DT, he's perhaps 50 yards ahead and looks to be running strongly.
    Starting to work now, but not excessively and lap pace reads 6:12 - 6:15 throughout the majority of this mile  before the very shallow, but nevertheless unwelcome rise up towards Thane Road also coincides with us turning  back into the breeze that's mostly chased us along the river. Beep - 6:20 for Mile 3...bugger.

Slightly off pace now, but it's still retrievable so dig in again, go through 5k in a shade under 19:25 and  get pace for this mile back below 6:20 as I pick off a couple of chaps beginning to fade. Having done that,  I'm now on my own though and although the breeze is little more than nuisance value in reality, this is  starting to feel quite hard; lap pace drops out to 6:25 and a PB is slipping through my fingers. A  younger chap drifts past me just before we drop down off Thane Road on to the canal path, so summon  one last effort to get back on track, using the slope to pick up my pace and cadence going back past him just  before we hit the canal.

He's soon back on my shoulder however, and whilst I hang on to him and the required pace for 200m or so, once he pulls away, I know the PB is out of the question and while I want to keep the pace honest, ask myself whether it's really worth flogging myself for something in a bit of a no-man's land around 31:20...?

The watch beeps at 6:29 for Mile 4 while this is all going through my head which means I've faded particularly badly in overthinking, and as a couple more runners come past me I realise that I'm drifting through the early stages of Mile 5 with the watch reading 6:45'ish. A bit or pride kicks in and without further dramas or sprint finish to speak of, fairly comfortably bring the last mile home in 6:22 for 31:37 and 34th spot overall.

My only 5 miler last year came in at 31:59, and that was having strung together 5 parkruns from 19:06 down to  18:32 over the previous couple of months, whereas I've only got the Relays and Monday's 800m on the racing  record so far this year. Last year was also a pretty miserable affair after the first mile as I recall, whereas I enjoyed this one virtually throughout. A 5k in early July, a track Mile later that month, and then the British Masters T&F Champs in August look like being my main targets for this year, but might have a shot at the 5m PB in the Summer League race that we host next month provided the wind plays nicely round the exposed lake that evening.

Gentle recovery run at lunchtime on tired but not battered legs suggests that after a second rest day of the week tomorrow, I should be able to hit a decent 5k pace session at the weekend. Starting to enjoy this again. :-)

• Well done Bob - good to have you back.

It's a great image of the leaders all clearing the midges away with their flypaper sweaty faces leaving the river bank clear for the slower runners.

DT and me (partially obscured) crossing the canal bridge in the first mile.

Front of shot is fashion t-shirt. Still ahead of me beyond my 6:09 first mile, final time 51:35............
    Cheers Skinny. 

And one from Monday night's 800 - bloody right arm's still twisting across the front of my chest when I'm running at pace!

• Another great report Bob.  I'm going to enjoy reading these :smile:  Well done to the three of you.

Poor fashion t-shirt.  He definitely doesn't look comfortable there. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice reporting, Bob. Mines the same, just a slightly different ending!

Are you seriously saying that someone who ran kust shy of 6mm for mile 1 ended up averaging 10mm. He must have had an isssue and walked as othetwise 6mm pace woukd be flat out sprinting. 

One thing ive not mentioned is the set up of the finish line. It was visible for the last 800m at least and as you get there you are diverted left around a field before coming back to the line. This previously would have been an absolute nightmare for me and my finish line issues, however for 5th successive race since having some informal counselling after the Wrexham half debacle, nothing to report. 

• Front of shot is fashion t-shirt. Still ahead of me beyond my 6:09 first mile, final time 51:35............
    The same thing happened in my 5 miler the other week - there was a guy breathing like he'd just survived a strangling attempt and rocking and rolling after a mile as I went past him who must have finished but no photographic evidence to be able to tell you what sort of time but 50 minutes would not have surprised me - just ridiculous. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    How did you find his time out, Bob? I cant see race numbers stated on results, which is the only logical way of working him out. 
    Have PM'd you, DT.

Shame really, as he must have some level of ability / fitness to get through a mile in under 6:10 at over 40. Could probably be more than half respectable if he paced his effort! Same with the guy in Skinny's race - 'just survived a strangling attempt'!  :D

And yes, that finish is a bit of a demoraliser if you're not expecting it - sorry, had it in my mind that either me or Tommy had warned you on that, but perhaps not. Glad you've seemingly got over those finishing issues. Really impressed with the way you've identified the various limitations that were holding you back since I was last posting regularly, gone about addressing them and are now seeing the results. 

And cheers David.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Ryton 5

This was the second race in the local county road racing series.  My first as official Ladies Captain so the pressure was on to make sure we had enough ladies running to put out a decent overall and masters team.  The course is offroad along hard trails.  It’s relatively flat..tish.  There are the odd very short inclines and a few sharp turns in it, with one big lap and two small.  It’s a fun route but narrow which makes a great environment for tactical balls-ups. 

We had the usual pre-race briefing and then wandered up the path to the start.  Which was a completely disorganised, heaving mass with no order.  I tried to get a bit further forwards and pull some of my girls with me – we managed a couple of rows but it was not going to fly.  Crammed in like sardines, the whistle blew and we were off.  Except we weren’t as there were a couple of seconds of literally standing still. 

Running along we were catching feet, being jostled and generally running quite slowly until I thought F this and did the typical idiot panic thing.  So with a series of accelerations and then getting penned in I basically did a mini-interval session in the first mile, coming in at 6:36 but already having built up a bit of lactic my breathing feeling laboured I realised I should calm down a bit and try and settle. 

Settle I did and next mile came at a disappointing 7:06 and had lost a few places (but ones I expected to lose so fine and had seen my faster ladies on their way).  The next mile has a few turns and a bit of an uphill so was 7:18.  I was really hurting and expecting hordes to be overtaking me but weirdly they didn’t and in hindsight I think most people made the same pacing errors as me.  5k passed by and I reflected that this would be a really nice place to stop but only 2 miles to go.  Come on! 

7:07 for mile 4, at that point where you feel you are going at hard as you can so you stop looking at your watch.   When the last mile comes my body and brain decided that I’m not going to combust and lets me speed up to 6:57 so I suspect I could probably have gone harder overall. 

Came in 16th woman and 7th V35 at 35:29, ave pace of 7:00mm exactly.  Little bit disappointed as I’d hoped for a minute or so quicker (although still miles off best paces at this distance).  However, I treated it as a low-key race, didn’t taper (ran 15 miles on Sunday and a fast rep session on Tuesday) so it’s probably what I deserved although might have been ok if I hadn’t ran the first mile like an idiot.  I’m not sure I’ve learned how to properly hurt in a race again yet either and am possibly backing off when I should be digging in. 

Anyway, I’m subbing it for one of my sessions this week and given my T pace is meant to be 7:03, this should do nicely as a replacement.  I’ve got a lovely cough today due to the amount of dust stirred up on the paths.  Overall men's race was won in a fairly rapid 26:33 so it is a nice, fastish, no-frills race to do although we were over-subscribed last night and some were turned away.  

• Ladies Captain - respect - well done on the race but surely as captain you can't be responsible for getting all your runners to negotiate round the other runners actually during the race?

Stress city!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, mcf. Sounds like a tough start. Was it chip timed? I was surprised that for £6, Beeston was chip timed, which paid dividends in my quest to be sub 31.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Haha, no but I've got a couple of newish to the club runners - bags of potential, just need a bit of confidence types and I was a bit worried about them getting a bit boxed in as they're probably more polite/reticent than me about navigating through a crowd.  Anyway it worked as we all found space and then they both zoomed off and smashed it.  

Won't worry about it next time. They can tow me around.   
  • Nice running Mcf.
    On a tricky, crowded course, feeling the responsibility of a new role, 3 days after a 15 mile run and a day after a reps session, that looks like a fine effort to me, McF.
    Good report and well done.
    And yes, that'll do nicely for your tempo run this week - I've done the same with Wednesday's race...much more fun way of cranking out a tempo than some spirit sapping solo slog!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Cheers Skinny. 

And one from Monday night's 800 - bloody right arm's still twisting across the front of my chest when I'm running at pace!

This should be used as some sort of race advertisement.
    What a chiselled face you have Mr Bob.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Do you know what filter the photographer used here, Bob??  B)
  •  
    Time to post one of cricketer Bob to remind us what you looked like pre running Bob B)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    As my last post was a bit too positive, can i water it down by saying that's the biggest contrast in hairy to hairless between lower and upper arms ever seen on a human?  o:)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    He's waxed them. 
     :D 

Probably a good angle...

...never thought about the arm hair situation before - it's not an unreasonable point! 

Didn't Moraghan once get a full body waxing before a major Champs? Perhaps something I ought to consider.  :#

Pre-'chiselling' - guessing 2009 top and 2007 bottom.

I ate all the pies...

...and cakes, etc.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    You look like a different person, Bob! 
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I want to see a picture of Snooker Mace.

Well done McFlooze!
  • I think it’s Pool Mace - was there not a video on here at some point showing him waddling round the table?

Mace the above is just a cry for attention - missing you on here and hope you’re okay and going through a Running Mace phase.

Cheers Skinny.
  • Woke up at 5:45 and couldn’t get back to sleep.
    Walked dog.
    parkrun.
    Shower.
    Just woken up from a little nap ready to start my day - time for some breakfast!!
  • 20:36 - 1:08 faster than 9th March.

37 seconds to go (although off road bits were rock hard today - can't guarantee that for rest of year).