Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I’m more in the Gul camp, wear shoes to near destruction but always saving the best for races.
    18:57 at Keswick parkrun- not at all bad for that course. Rain is spoiling the weekend a bit though ☔️ 
  • OO - another sub-19. Not too shabby at all.

Impressive weekly total Gul - what dod you say your next race was? Glad to seethe field getting a shout out on a previous email.

Jubilee Line successfully conquered today, although the length of run (just under 28 miles) and the stop-starting to take a photo at each tube station and to check the map meant that by the time I got to Stratford and refuelled I wasn't in time to get the Globe and TBH was probably too knackered to enjoy the play anyway.

No dramas apart from negotiating the crowds coming out of St John's Wood station to watch the cricket although the Isle of Dogs was a bit tricky as I had to get a boat between Canada Water and Canary Wharf, then head down to the Greenwich foot tunnel to get back to the other side of the river to get to North Greenwich, and then catch the cable car to get back again to Canning Town. All added to the fun. 

Next tube run planned for Tuesday evening, but hopefully my legs are OK for a gentle recovery run tomorrow morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Fab Lorenzo, and completely mad. 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    GUL impressive mileage for 6 days.
    0054 great time on a tough sounding course.
    Lorenzo a 28 mile tube station run sounds like fun is it the same distance again on Tuesday ?

25 min tempo on Thursday night ,was struggling after Weds race so easy at the start but got a 7 min last mile once I got going but it was hard work.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Cheers all, off out now for a pleasant Sunday morning tour of Edi👍🏻
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Straight lift from sub 3forum;
    if i ever say I’m going to run a race in Scotland again please come round my gaff and kick me square in the 🌰s. That was brutal. At mile 14 the first headwind appeared and dropped me down from 5.53 to 5.59 so I had reset my sites on just a PB The only good thing is that when you turned around at mile 17 to come back the realisation was so massive and instant that all thoughts of time evaporated instantaneously. 
    Foprtunately hooked up with another runner and we took it in turns for the next 8 miles but pace dropped from 5.59 to 6.25 in one mile, then down to 6.58 at one point but we still passed around 6or 7 runners who were out on their feet.
    Other than that it was great!! 2.41.43
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - bonkers run - I love it ;)
    Mennania - sounds like a tough one but that's an amazing time. Is that a PB?!!
    11 miles this morning with 8x200m "hill" sprints.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Mennania brilliant time on a very tough day out by the sound of it ,you have got very fast since we last heard from you. I see Dan Tanui won , he comes over to Northern Ireland with a few pals all  summer and cleans up over here ,some quality of runners !
    Had intended to run last night but dinner was ready when I got it so that was that lol !
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Great time there Men. I'd forgotten just how fast you are 😲 😂 Many congrats
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good one, Menn - a couple of clubmates were there, and confirm the conditions . . .   
    kudos hard earned and well deserved . . .  

on a much more mundane note - tiny steps here on getting my act together - 7 Thurs, 6 Fri, 14 Sat - rest day yesterday (actually planned, rather than CNBA).  Onwards now, I hope  . . . 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Menn! What's your pb? Looked like similarly tough conditions in liverpool as well in places. 

Nice tube line running, Lorenzo. 

Good going, Birch. 

Nice 11, Gul.

Rest yesterday then RPM this morning. 4 mile run later. 

Just watching the vitality 10k. Looks like a good fun event.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Have had a scan read back on here, lots going on. Some mad stuff by Lorenzo and some good solid stuff from the rest.

Got back from Crete a few days ago. Had a cracking time. Didn’t run a step but did get 13 walking miles in trekking down the Samaria Gorge, that was a cracking day. Despite eating and drinking loads, only put about 3 pounds on.

Sort of easing back to running with 5, 10, and 5 miles done in the last 3 days, mostly off-road. No real pace, my legs are struggling to get going. Not sure if it’s due to having over 10 days off or I’m still in recovery after the ultra?

Rest day today as my back and hip hurt a bit, could be a sun bed injury.  :D
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all and croeso nol i Mennania.

Some cracking running going on, and some crackpot running by Lorenzo.

Always wanted to walk the Samaria gorge, GD did it live up to expectations?

No running here, can't walk properly, going to seek a 2nd opinion from another physio. It's pretty bad and still very painful when flexed or suddenly twisted. Still able to cycle and knocked out 160km on Saturday.  The 360km day of reckoning in Sweden is 3 weeks away but the good news is that any knee pain will be masked by the agony in every other part of the body.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    In darker moments it feels like this could be the end of running and time to move on. I hope I'm wrong but fortunately I have done pretty much everything on the bucket list so if this is it, no regrets.  

OO - the coastal race is looking unlikely, if I don't make it I can stand outside the house and marvel at your speed and grace as you whizz by. Sort of.
  • Vitality London 10,000 for me today. I don't know why I have to use the sponsor's name and it is a road 10k and not a track 10,000 metres but there you have it!

I got a free entry for this via parkrun back mid-December 2018 and it has sort of crept up. I did a slow 10k a few weeks ago pacing daughter #2 and a few fastish parkruns and have been doing a bit of speedwork on the track so I was sort of ready. The aim was to go somewhere 42.xx to beat #2's boyfriend who did 42:54 at the same race where I paced her.

Getting there was easy: drive to the office and park there, then a few stops on the tube to Green Park. The weather forecast was good so I went already kitted up so I could avoid baggage drop and pick up so all I had with me was a credit card and office entry card. 

I was in the blue pen which was the first pen behind the elites. I was a bit worried that my honest answer to "What is your 10k P?" may have put me in too fast a start pen and there were a few fats looking people but as many looked like me so I was not out of place.

Overall not much to report about the race. 42:30 is 4:15 even pace so I decided to run at 4:15. First km was 4:12 so I was where I wanted to be and 5k in 20:37 so the time was in the bag if I could come home with the wheels intact. Each km was still under 4:15 and at 8km I was happy to let the legs bring it home and 20:56 for the second half and 41:33 overall so a bit of a fade but nothing gross.

No bags to collect so jumped back on the tube, office, drove home and showered before noon. No troubles.

Feels nice to have got a proper race under the belt after more than a year off, now need to go and get a decent 5k time on record.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Cheers gang& diolch yn fawr iawn poacher.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 Bagged a 2.39 in December at Valencia GD/DT.
     A day on quite happy with performance, barring a couple of runners the entire top 20 showed at least a 6 min fade with the winner doing a positive split of 10 mins with a 1.10:1.20. 
    Nice work PMJ.
    Good luck with the second opinion poacher👍🏻
  • Wow Mennania - cracking time. Sounds as though the second half was tough going so chapeau for that.

Good going PMJ - sounds like you've still got bragging rights.

Never say never Poacher. I'm sure you still owe me a beer anyway so I'm hoping you'll be back for at least one more marathon.  ;)

Sounds fun G-Dawg. Never been to Crete but you've whetted my appetite.

Birch - not sure I'd call 27 miles in 3 days tiny steps. Definitely getting your act together.

Leslie - good progressive run there. 

After Saturday's exploits, I decided to have a rest day yesterday and then headed out on the bike this morning for 40 miles so will hopefully be itching to get running again tomorrow evening. It's the Hammersmith & City line this time, appropriately starting in Barking. The line itself is only about 16 miles long according to Wikipedia but I suspect that running to every station will add another 2 miles or so on to that. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed PMJ- might this mean more racing?
    Lorenzo you are going to become an expert on London and the underground network!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Better still Poacher come to the pub after for a pint 😁 Let's hope there is more to come from you old bean.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hey, Poacher,  Samaria Gorge was superb. A cracking walk to Romouli vilage where ther are no roads in and out and you have to get a ferry to another village to get a bus back. I took this pic after around 8 miles...

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - shocking lack of will power ;)
    Birch - :)
    GD - looks like an awesome place to walk. Hope you can get into the swing of things again soon.
    Poacher - sorry to hear things aren't improving. Hope the 2nd opinion is encouraging.
    PMJ - job done; sub 20 5k beckons.
    Mennania - those stats speak for themselves. How did you get so fast BTW?!!!
    Lorenzo - barking indeed! Only 16 miles though; maybe you ought to do out and back!
    No run today. I was doing some doing some DIY yesterday and stepped on a nail. Didn't do any real damage but it's a bit painful to walk on so thought it best to sit it out. So mad with myself!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done Mennania (and sorry I'm a bit late with the congratulations).  I've seen some photos of Embra and the conditions were far from great!

Also well done to PMJ on a return to racing.

Nothing exciting here: 13M on Sunday and then a very long walk with Mr. J on Bank Holiday.  Legs are a bit sore from that so ditching the club 5k tonight.  This is the new, sensible, slightly cautious Jools who just cannot facing risking a return to the bench!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Oooh sensible Jools! 
    We've gone from torrential rain to a glorious sunny evening here, think I’ll have a long one tonight. You never know what’s coming next.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    GD that looks fab. Various stories of flash floods and extreme heat over the years in the gorge but it looks like you had good conditions. Cretan food too...nom nom
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Cheers Jools & Gul - Im not really sure other than I just kept on resetting my target by 5 mins after I got to sub 3 -3.28, 3.12, 2,59, 2,54. 2.49,2.44 & 2.39 over several years. Maybe I was too conservative with my targets early doors or maybe I got better at training the more experience I gained, difficult to know really, probably both. Cutting out the booze has definitely helped me to sub 2.40. 
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    That's superb progression through the marathon times & classic sub times. I have to say that I always feel better & fitter after decent spells off the booze.

Cracking gorge walking G-Dawg and an ace pic.

Ahh...Gul! DIY accidents that affect running are the worst. Glad you took the decision for a short rest and hope that it's only a temporary moment away from your impressive mileage and training stats.

I watched the Vitality 10K on BBC iplayer PMJ. It's definitely a great course & very well organised. I had to miss it this year due to my cracked ribs  :s Well done on beating your target time.

Sorry to read about your pain Poacher. But knocking out a century in prep for your Swedish escapade is nice work & makes my bike effort today look like a feeble effort.

Your bike miles are also better than mine! Your tube line running sounds epic - as well as mixing in a bit of Shakespearian culture.

So my rib recovery continues nicely with an easy 4 on Saturday, 6 on Sunday and 4 yesterday. All at about 9mm as any faster isn't pleasant.
    Thought I'd attempt some biking today over a local TT course. Figured I could tuck into position & keep my upper body still. So 12 miles at an average of 22MPH & an average 101 rpm felt ok. Followed with an easy running mile from the bike.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Mennania 11 mins behind the winner in a big mara not too shabby ! That is an amazing progression with your times .
    Poacher 100m on the bike is some going when you can hardly walk ,hope there are a few more mara's left in you .
    PMJ looks like sub 20 will be happening very soon for you .
    G-dawg looks a cracking place
    Jools  whatever it takes to keep off that bench.
    Gul that's unfortunate hope you get back soon.
    Fish certainly got some bike speed there !

3m last night was a real drag after work so gave up but was running much better tonight with 5x1000m with jogged recovery at about 6:50 pace till the last lap when 2  twinges in my hammy in quick succession had me walking back ,feels ok(ish) to walk now but right to stop. 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sensible decision there, Leslie. Hope that hammy is OK.

Swift on the wheels there Fish, nice.

Superb story of progression there Menn. I seem to be chipping away at my times over the years, I put it down to lessons learned and cumulative fitness/conditioning with 2 campaigns per year.

Had my first track session for a few weeks last night. I ran 2 miles there to warm up. My legs and hips are very stiff, I think the ultra just 2 weeks after London has really taken it's toll but that's OK and expected.

The track session kicked off with a 1 mile TT. I defo couldn't go full blast but registered a 5.46 which I'm happy with under the circs. Then we did sprint progressions from 260, 240 etc down to 100 with jog recoveries. Two miles home brought up 8 for the night.

Might just rest and stretch today. Can't run tomorrow as I'm at the opening match of the cricket world cup between England and South Africa, beer may be involved!  B)

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good return to the track G-D.  Enjoy the cricket.

Go easy on the hamstring Leslie - slowly, slowly, ...

Good running recovery from the rib injury Fish.

Excellent result in the conditions Mennania and very speedy!

Hope Badbark is recovering nicely.

Hope the second physio can return you to running Poacher - it's too early to retire! 

Very sensible mileage building Jools.

Not good on the DIY injury Gul but good mileage otherwise.

10 miles steady for me tonight in wet and misty conditions - felt more like Autumn than Summer. The running mo-jo has fallen off the cliff over the last week so need to decide on an Autumn marathon sooner than later to regain the motivation!

• G-Dawg - great photo. You didn't fancy the Cretan equivalent of fell running then?! Enjoy the cricket tomorrow - fingers crossed.

Impressive bike speed there Fish - you're not a closet triathlete are you?

OMG Gul - at least you incurred that injury after your stellar marathon performance. Gives me the perfect reason to stay away from too much DIY. At least it makes a change from the normal (toe)nail stories.

Steady stuff from both SBD and the new-look Jools

So, Hammersmith & City line successfully completed last night. Probably the most interesting (in terms of the parts of London rather than the actual metal) of the three lines so far - from Barking through West Ham and down MIle End Road to Whitechapel, then round the top of the Circle line past Paddington and onto Hammersmith via Westfield. Highlights including struggling to find Whitechapel Station while dodging all the people clearing away at the end of the market, and being told to "f*** off you weird guy" by a drunk I ran past at Royal Oak station. Just under 20 miles in total with all the navigation to avoid canals and dual carriageways

Rest day today and then a bit of a break from tube line running for a few days as I'm hoping to make the club track session tomorrow evening.