New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

I feel a bit like the energiser bunny today as I woke up at 4am, jumped out of bed and was out the door by 5am for a plod despite having indulged in wine last night! 11.5 miles and loved every minute. I checked my result for yesterday and my time was 5:04:22 which is 19 minutes faster than my best time there - it's a very undulating route with lots of trip potential.

TE, excellent mileage for the week, well done you. I'm not chasing numbers but I expect 200 will happen at some stage :wink:

Have a lovely long weekend everyone.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Just popping in again to say I ran 4.5mls this morning before the rain arrived. And (drum roll) I didn't need any walk breaks, the pace was a bit faster and it felt easier than Fri's run. Rested and recovered and about to start cooking Sunday dinner - then off for a (nuddy) swim at my club this evening.
  • hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Red, getting up at 4am is a bit hard core, and setting off for a 11.5 mile run at 5am unthinkable. A 19 minutes improvement over the last time you ran it is very impressive.
    Thanks, I was pleased with the mileage. I think that it is only a matter of time before you hit the 200th marathon.

Ran an hilly 10.5 miles in the forest this morning with the two Sarahs and Jane.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Another glorious day here but rain is forecast for later so into the garden I shall go! Just did 5k on the treddy and yesterday was 7 miles xc. Nearly at the end of RED May :smiley:

WtnMel, good man! Glad to hear your running hasn't suffered and hope you enjoy your nuddy swim.

TE, another good hilly run for you and your ladies. I've still got 30 more marathons before 200 and as I'm not doing as many this year it may be some time....... 
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Morning all, we’ve had some torrential rain lately, but thankfully the sun is out today (well, it is at the moment anyway).

Good heavens Red, you are certainly getting the miles in at the moment aren’t you? Well done on improving your time for Saturday’s trail marathon by 19 minutes, you’re obviously on top form just now. I tend to agree with HS as regards getting up at 5 am for a run. Although when I think about it, before we retired we often got up at 5.30 to fit in a run before work, but I doubt I could do that now.
    WtnMel, good to see that Friday’s disappointing run was probably just a “blip” as you managed much better on Sunday. Hope you enjoyed your swim.
    HS, good running from you as usual, and excellent mileage for last week. 

I decided to do my trail race at the weekend after all, although it probably wasn’t one of my better decisions. I thought I’d fully recovered from my tummy bug but found that once I got going I didn’t have much energy, and by mile 3 I was ready to throw in the towel. I think that is the first time I’ve actually seriously considered pulling out of a race. It was quite a hot day (and as I’ve mentioned before I don’t do well running in the heat) so what with that and my lack of energy I felt quite rough. Anyway I pressed on and managed to finish, but I didn’t enjoy it at all and was 11 minutes slower than when I ran it 3 years ago. So, although it was very disappointing I’ve “drawn a line” under the day and have moved on. In hindsight maybe I shouldn’t have done it, but it’s too late now. While staggering around on Sunday it occurred to me that another reason I was finding it so difficult could be because I haven’t done any structured training for ages, apart from a (very) occasional visit to the club, so to remedy this I’m going over there tonight for some hill work. I have another trail race (7 miles) this Sunday and want to be sure I feel fit enough for it, so I will base my decision of whether to do it on how I feel after the club session.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

I've just been browsing the last couple of pages of postings - I think I may have finally caught up! :)  Far too much to remember or respond to everything but ..

Jag1 - I saw you had begun posting here but hadn't had a chance to say hello *waves* Hope that wrist has healed up by now. Also see you tweaked a quad muscle - hope that's also on the mend.

Aquarius - hope you've not had any re-occurrence of dogs jumping up at you .. or diy accidents and 'almost' accidents caused by squirrels running into the road. Sorry to hear you've had a tummy bug which affected your trail race.

HS - I always stick to speed limits but it seems to surprise the cars behind when I speed up when I leave a restricted area (they probably think I'm a slow old fart all the time).

Red - well done re 'RED May'. Can only say 'yikes' to the photo of you covered in oil-seed rape petals. BTW, now I'm retired my 'normal' wake-up time is closer to 8am :o Good idea to have had running kit in the back of the car - but trust a sports bra has now been added to the pile and that there were no after-effects after your impromptu 'bouncy' run from the hospital ;)

Been for a run again this morning. Same route as Sunday and because I upped the pace at one point, found I had to slow down then take a walk-break towards the end. Overall time about the same though.

• I run one race a month from February to November , nine 10Ks and one half marathon across the year. I only ever train on a treadmill, 3K monday,4k wednesday,5k saturday is my normal week, but the week before the sunday race is a 6k on the monday and 7k on the wednesday then rest until the sunday race. This has served me well over the last 15 years. The reasons for only-treadmill training are safety,youcant get run over inside a gym, I can listen to music, watch TV, not get chased by dogs , the gym temperature is cool and pleasant, it doesnt rain, you cant twist your ankle as you fall off a dark slippery kerb or slither around in dog poo. The only downside is boredom and not having that feeling of being outside. Anyone else feel like this?
    Afternoon all,

Red, I don't know where you get the energy from to be able to do so much gardening, combined with all the mileage you do!

Aquarius, we haven't had any rain here for ages. There was some heavy rain in the County a week or so ago, but missed the New Forest Region. 
    Thanks, I never thought that I would ever get anywhere near that sort of mileage again, whilst I was struggling with my knee injury. I did have doubts that I would ever run again, to be honest.
    Well done for completing your trail run, but as you said, with hindsight, it might have been wise not to have done it.
    Good luck with the hill work at your club this evening, and I hope that you will feel fit enough afterwards to do your trail run on Sunday.

WtnMel, good to hear that you are getting back into training again.

Another good spinning session this morning. We had a different Instructor who usually works in another Leisure Centre. She was very good, and we did a mixture of hill and flat sprints, and concluded the session with a 6 minute steep hill climb.
    I was looking in the bathroom mirror after lunch, and noticed that I had got a gravy stain on my clean white t shirt. Luckily, I have "Shout Stain Remover," so I sprayed it and put it in the machine, with the other washing.I'm hoping the stain will have gone, when the wash is finished. Think I will have to wear an apron in future :blush:
  • RunningfoxRunningfox ✭✭✭
    AJ:  We couldn't be more opposite.  I hate treadmills, especially when they're in a sweaty gym with music blaring out.  I run purely for fun and fitness, and for love of the great outdoors.  Even when racing I never used treadmills and rarely ran on roads, though occasionally I'd do track work to sharpen up.  My training (though I hate to call it training) was invariably on high moors, mountains, rolling hills, woods and river banks.  I never had a plan but became the scourge of most of my age category who had, running sub 38min 10K's and sub 3 hour marathons in my 60's.
    Enclosed is a picture of me enjoyinging myself on my 87th birthday earlier this month in the sort of country I love.  My music was nightingales serenading me from the trees, whispering wind and lapping of waves on rocks below.  I still run for fun......
  • RF.. what a fantastic story. I love walking outside, recently walked around the Isle of white coastal path for instance. I have too many instances of turing my ankle when running through the woods, having to hobble home. Dog poo seems to be everywhere waiting for me. Also if its too hot, too cold too windy, these extremes will put me off goign out for a run. I got an eye infection recently through running through a bunch of flies. So I have found that on balance I run on the treadmill and only outdoors on actual races days. But love walking outdoors, everyone;s different I guess
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭

AJ I used to go to the gym, but I found 20 minutes was my limit on a treadmill. Time seemed to pass so slowly and every step was the same, admittedly I could alter the elevation but I still found it very boring. It didn’t help that it was a busy gym and there were usually people waiting for you to finish so they could take their turn. I’m with you on the issues of dog dirt, and twisting ankles, but on balance I’d have to say running outdoors is much better. There’s the fresh air, changing scenery, varying terrain and a choice of routes, which could include flat/hilly/steps/sand. Each to their own though, whatever works for you, and as you say your routine have served you well for the last 15 years.

RF so glad to hear from you again, it’s been a while since your last blog post where you mentioned some health concerns. I do hope you’re feeling a lot better now and that you enjoyed your recent birthday celebrations. Lovely photo, were you back in Madeira?

HS hope you got those gravy stains out🙂

I didn’t get to the club last night after all, last minute babysitting duties instead. 

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

4 mile run earlier and now feeling all Zen after a nice yoga session. Gardening this afternoon :smiley:

Aquaruis be gentle with yourself please and don't do the trail race if you're still feeling under the weather xxx

WtnMel, thanks for reminding to put a sports bra into my emergency kit!

TE, no rain here either. The little we've had in the last few months has done nothing to top up the ponds. Another good spin session for you. Perhaps you should wear a bib when eating? (tee hee).

Mr Fox, you are still a mountain goat aren't you! Btw, how are your eyes now?

AntonyJ, I have a love-hate relationship with my treddy but I must say it's jolly useful for speedwork although I'll always choose to run outside on trail if possible.
    Red: Yeah, still the mountain goat running the hills with my wonderful partner.  Got out a couple of times over Spring Bank - only 8 miles but 750ft of ascent.
    Still having monthly injections to my Rt eye.  The Lt one is knackered with everything distorted.  Now have several skin cancers, the worst a squamous one in my Rt ear which is being hacked out and replaced with a lump of skin from my neck in a couple of weeks.  Next up is a biopsy on my Rt kidney to identify an ominous lump that's causing a blockage.  Things are conspiring to stop me running but they haven't succeeded yet!  A neighbour says they'll have to send in a firing squad to get rid of me!
    Aquarius:  We celebrated my 87th birthday back in Menorca and had a wonderful time running rough limestone hills and rocky coastlines.  Ran 28 miles in total with a little short of 3,000ft ascent.  Managed it all without falling but put a huge bruise on my Lt hip and sprained my wrist when I fell down steps and crashed into the road coming out of a cafe!  We're back in Menorca in August - God willing.
    Afraid my blog is getting neglected through lack of interest but am trying to put together a video of my birthday run.
    Still keeping tabs on you all - wishing I could turn the clock back to give you all a run for your money!  Keep on running - consistency is the key.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Oh Gordon, just caught up with your bloggage and I'm so sorry to read your list of health issues. You keep on running and showing us youngsters how to grow old with dignity and determination. Much love xxx
    Afternoon all,

AJ, welcome to the forum. I've tried, but never got on with treadmills, I do the majority of my training runs off road, in The New Forest. This actually strengthens the ankles, and touch wood, in more than 30 years, I've never twisted an ankle. 
    Do you live on the IoW? I was born in Newport, but moved away when I was about four and a half years old. I still have some relatives living on the Island, but most have sadly "passed away." 

RF, in my speedier racing days, I did all my speed work on the running track. I was a member of Team Solent at the same time as Roger Black and Chris Akabussi.
    I'm sorry to hear of all your health issues, but am full of admiration for all your earlier achievements, and the fact that you are still running.

Aquarius, thanks, yes, the stains came out and the t shirt is as good as new. Don't race on Sunday, unless you are feeling 100%.

Red, are the yoga sessions a recent thing, helping your recovery from injury, or have you been doing it regularly over the years?

It has actually been raining today, but not heavily. I ran 10.3 miles in the forest this morning, battling against a fairly strong, cold wind. A real change in the temperature compared with earlier in the week. I didn't take any water with me, and didn't miss it. At around mile 2, I was running down a narrow, sandy path, and ahead of me, standing in the middle of the path was a white cow, with horns. The white cows are quite aggressive, so I wasn't quite sure what to do. I couldn't get past it, and didn't want to turn back in case it charged me. I decided to walk towards it, and thankfully, it turned off the path, enabling me to continue. I noticed when checking my Garmin and Strava that it must have been at that point when my heart rate peaked.
    Red:  Love your quote in my blog.  Thanks, I'll do my best not to let the little b's wear me down.   Not that they ever have!   I may have a few little problems but, at 87, nothing is seriously interfering with my lifestyle.   I rarely have any pain, not over-weight, can still swim and run up hills, enjoy my food (and drink) and blessed with a wonderful partner.   So nothing really for you to feel sorry about.....
    HS: Being a member of Longwood Herriers I felt obliged to train with them on the track occasionally, mainly repeat miles and cruise sessions, but never with anyone famous like Roger Black or Chris Akabussi!   Derek Ibbotson was our most well known member but was fading by the time I started running.
    Aquarius:  I've at last updated my blog with video clips of my 87th birthday jaunt along the coast of Menorca.  Ignore the miserable build-up!    https://oldrunningfox.blogspot.com

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon peeps,

Lovely day here so trotted out for 5.5 miles of hills firstthing then have been playing in the garden ever since - I can't get the dirt out of my nails by scrubbing there's so much, it may take quite some time

TE, we had heavy drizzle yesterday which was no use whatsoever. Well done on your run yesterday and for braving the white cow. Are they really aggressive or just inquisitive? I grew up around cows and am usually calm around them. You've been in esteemed running company!

MrFox, I'm guessing I've seen most of the photos already on FB but will go and have a look.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

AJ - I have a treadmill in my garage but it doesn't get much use. Originally I thought I'd be using it for speed work/intervals but that hasn't happened. It only gets used for the rare occasions when it's icy outside. I sometimes think I should sell it on and make more room in the garage ..

HS - good to hear the spinning is still going well. I have a pinny for the (rare!) occasions I remember to wear it when cooking at the weekends. It has flowers on it (okay, I'm fibbing - it has navy blue stripes). I expect your heart rate peaked because of the adrenaline coursing through your body when the white cow appeared.

Aquarius - before we moved I had an old tv near the treadmill so I could watch that instead of staring at the wall. In the new garage, I'm staring at the fridge-freezer.

Red - no problem (.)(.)  :D

RF - sounds lovely but boo to the various health issues you're suffering from. My only 'brush' with a famous athlete was finishing a 10K in 2013 a few seconds behind Bruce Tulloch (then in his late 70's).

Been out with the club this morning (the Thursday pub2pub run). A tad warm but not too bad - but very pleasant to sit in the pub garden afterwards for our (hot!) drinks.

Afternoon all,

RF, a regular quiz question is "who was the first runner to run a 4 minute mile?" Everyone sais "Roger Bannister." The first was Derek Ibbotson, Roger Bannister was the first sub 4 minute miler. Not a lot of people know that LoL. I'll have a look at your blog later. It's ages since I last viewed it.

Red, There have been several incidents with the white cows. A couple of weeks ago, I was running in the forest with Sara H, and ahead of us were lots of white cows crossing the road from one field to another. Two of them suddenly started butting each other and it was getting nasty. We held back until they got off the road. Another occasion was about 3 years ago during a Sunday club social run. There were lots of white cows in the field, and as we ran passed them, we could sense that they were agitated. Some of our runners had already crossed the little stream ahead, when the cows behind us started charging. I thought I was going to be flattened, but at the last minute the cow right behind me suddenly swerved to the right just missing me.

Today has been very hot and humid, very strength sapping during my morning forest run. I ran 9.1 miles on a route I hadn't run for several weeks. I was surprised that I ran it quicker than some previous times, despite the fact that I wasn't pushing the pace. The final mile was the quickest, so I must have run sensibly.
    I'm going for a meal in the Italian Restaurant this evening with Alice.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Running Fox I’ve tried a couple of times without success to post a comment on your blog page, so I’ll just post it on here instead. 
    I love those photos, probably your best yet. Great soundtrack too, who is the artist?  You (both) look the picture of health, whatever the doctors say. I had to laugh at you putting that doctor in his place, but I don’t blame you. It’s bad enough waiting for an appointment that you know will probably be unpleasant, then finding out when you get there they can’t do the examination and you have to come back again. I wish that doctor could see your photos, I bet he’d be surprised at what an active Running Fox you are! Running certainly seems to agree with you and I’ve no doubt your holiday did you the world of good (although I think you should steer clear of cafes with steps in future ;) ). Keep running and keep blogging, you really are an inspiration to us all. 
    P.S. I particularly loved your Daniel Craig pose in the swimming pool. But I think the best ones were near the end, where you and your lovely partner are toasting your birthday, what beautiful photos, and lovely memories for you both. 
    Thanks Aquarius. Other people have said they can't post comments on my blog though I've no idea why.  The artist on the sound track is Dido singing Here with me.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSu5nAQ7uZw
    Daniel Craig indeed!  Actually I have to be careful in water just now.  Besides dodgy eyes I have this squamous cancer thingy in my Rt ear which is being ripped out June 6th and a square inch of skin from my neck grafted in.  Running keeps me sane!

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel that was my experience of treadmills too. I bought one some years ago after a bad winter stopped us getting out for our runs for a few weeks, and we had to resort to the local gym and pay a fortune for a few minutes on their treadmill. Needless to say once I had my own treadmill our winters improved and I rarely needed it. Ours also faced a fridge freezer in the garage, so the few times I used it I was bored to tears and found it difficult to focus on anything other than a bench full of tools or the fridge freezer, which was surprisingly off-putting. When we moved in 2017 I sold the treadmill (for a fraction of what it had cost me) and I really haven’t missed it.

HS - what a shock you must have got when you came face to face with that cow. I’m not surprised your heart rate increased, you hear such awful stories about people being attacked by cows when out walking. Well done on your run today and I hope you enjoy your meal tonight with Alice. 

Red - Where were your gardening gloves?? Mind you I’m just as bad, I made some sauerkraut today with grated beetroot and red cabbage, which involved squeezing and massaging the ingredients to release the juices, but unfortunately it leaves your hands bright red. I know the recipe advises using plastic gloves but…well, I never bother (then regret it). 

Running Fox, I'll keep fingers crossed for June 6th for you, and thanks for that information about Dido, I'll look it up.

A spur of the moment run today - I popped out to our local park for some hill work, ended up getting drenched but enjoyed it. Still haven’t decided about the trail race this weekend, but I know there’s a 5k option as well as the 7 mile so I might see if the organisers will let me change to the 5k as I’m sure I can manage that.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Just done a slightly hungover 5k on the treddy - 25:45 so happy with that!

Aquarius, I go through gardening gloves in no time at all and the fingertips end up all holey, hence the dirty fingernails  :D Go for the 5k option as you seem to have been OK on the hill work yesterday.

TE hope you had a nice meal with Alice last night.
  • Hillstrider. I live in kent,not the IOW. It seems that every June we go to an island in the channel, recently, Jersey,Guernsey,Herm and IOW last year. Jersey and Sark this June
  • I have the Staplehurst 10K next weekend. I have run this one four times, best time 54.38 and worst 58.14. I am hoping to best my best time, dependson how hot its going to be
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Aha Anthony, you're nearish to me then as I'm in ESussex. I've only done the Staplehurst 10k once back in 2013 when I did 53:41 (http://https//extremeknittingredhead.blogspot.com/2013/06/halfway.html ). Can't remember much about the route but I often drive through there on my way out to marathons. Hope you have a good run.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    You must be near to me then Anthony as I'm in ESussex. I've only done Staplehurst 10k once, back in 2013, and managed 53:41. Hope you have a good run. I seem to remember it was a fastish course.
    Afternoon all,

WtnMel, our posts crossed. The white cow certainly sent the adrenaline coursing through my body. Your mention of finishing just behind Bruce Tullouh reminded me of when I was sprinting to the finish of a 10k with Christine Benning. I think I was overawed racing an elite athlete, and she finished a couple of strides ahead of me. 

Aquarius, it definitely was a shock seeing the white cow ahead of me looking evil. Thankfully I didn't panic, otherwise I think it might have charged at me.
    Yes, we enjoyed our meal last night thanks. That's the second time we've been there, and prefer it to the one we used to use.
    The 5k option seems to be your best bet, and I'm glad that you seem to be feeling better now.

Red, a slight hangover, very surprised, an elite athlete like you LoL
    Thanks, yes we enjoyed the meal, and will be going there again. The background music was mainly Italian, so didn't understand the words. 
    I didn't disgrace myself by spilling any food down me :neutral:

AJ, good luck with the Staplehurst 10k and I hope that you get a PB.

A rest day today, but hope to do another longish run tomorrow.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Glorious day here! Run done through the cider orchard, just 4 miles, then some squats and abs stuff. Off out soon to order a new greenhouse, hoorah! Then it will be gardening for the rest of the day and apparently there's a football match on this evening so I'll no doubt be either pottering in the garden or knitting to avoid it :wink:

TE, glad you didn't spill your food or dribble it down your front! Have a lovely run today - the weather is perfect.

I'm going to recce some more of the 1066 route tomorrow. Did I mention they've extended the time limit to 32 hours as they had to to re-route the sections I'd mentioned along with a few more in Kent so the total distance is now 106.6 miles tee hee!

Have a lovely weekend everyone.