Comrades 2019

Comments

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Peter - i've found the photos to be great value for money and as lowrez says, if you spot the cameraman and mess around a bit, you get loads of photos!!!! Also, the offer tends to stay around until after we get back after Comrades as well so can always do it once you've seen what they have captured.

Terry - thanks for the very kind offer but my mate is now looking forward to seeing the race first hand. Will possibly see you at the finish in the international tent in PM though!!! Hope you are having a great time in SA....

And it feels like such a family on here with all these offers of help when we only get to meet up once a year!!!!! Look forward to saying hi to people at the friday night meal.
  • PeterDHM said:
    Max - I don't know if this is what you are after but I did see this pacing chart which gives you times at specific distances on the route: www.alsoranrunners.info/UPpacingcharts.htm
    Thanks Peter, that's useful in itself. What I got last year was more basic. It was literally eg - Flat: average 8:45 min/mile pace, Downhill: average 8:20 pace, Uphill averade 9:40 pace. Then by some sort of maths magic the relative %ages of the race that were flat/up/down added up to a finishing time of approx 8 hr 55. 

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else flying out on the Thursday eve Virgin flight?
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Anyone else arriving Durban about 9:30 PM on Thursday night?   Can share a ride into town?
  • Very envious of all these indications of heading to Durban! Betteshanger Mararthoin for me yesterday evening last long run before SDW100 and I took it very easy, but it gets me one of the 10 certified road marathons I need for 100 Marathon Club.
    Need to work out what I need to have in my drop bags, and make sure all my kit is ready.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Here's what I had collected some time ago on travel - off to look at my specific departure times McH - are we on the same plane I wonder?

Accommodation
    Belaire
    Terry48, Becca7, Mc Hilly, Max Mladenovic 2, Mac3, justanothrrnr
    Hilton 1owrez, Dannirr, Running Rodent, Peter R
    Blue Waters jkissane
    ONOMO TCP, marty74, Slow Duck

Flights
    Terry48
    AF LHR-CDG ArrJNB26th09:55 Ret12th
    Max Mladenovic 2
    KLM/AF BHX-AMS ArrJNB4th Ret15th
    mordo BA HR-JNB-DUR ArrDUR6th08.55 Ret11th
    TCP BA LHR-JNB-DUR ArrJNB6th09:15Dep15:40ArrDUR16:45 Ret?
    Peter R BA ArrDUR6th Ret11th

thomasclowes, serenos
    BA LHR ArrDUR7th05:35 Ret18th
    1owrez
    BA/VA MAN-LHR ArrJNB7th06:30Dep08:55ArrDUR10:00 Ret10th
    Mc Hilly VA/BA ArrDUR7th Ret10th
    jkissane LHR-JNB-DUR Arr7th14:25 Ret11th

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    McH - leaving 6:30pm from LHR T3?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Dannirr - I always take the minibus shuttle - just go to the right and across the drop-off road right in front of the airport, you should be able to see it from the airport door, its usually packed full of other Comrades runners and is a right old jokey ride - I have met some fantastic people over the years - they drop off at various hotels so its probably a bit longer than a direct taxi drive, but I really look forward to it. I think its these guys - ignore the office hours it runs from 7:30am until 10:30pm no booking required, 80 ZAR.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Lowrez - depating 20.05 from T3  - I don't see anything departing at 6:30pm, which flight are you on???
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    OMG I have booked a ghost flight! - let me go look!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

McH - It looks like my flight is leaving at 22:30 from T3 - VS461 - I hope you can see that? I seem to be rather good at choosing flights that cave-in on me, this now arrives at 10:25 on Friday, an hour and a half after my connecting flight to Durban has left Joburg! Absolutely splendid!

Thanks for asking the above question - whilst my paperwork tells me to check my flights 72 hours prior to departure and that they are not responsible for anything at all, I suspect this flight never was scheduled for an 18:30 departure and I have been enticed to purchase the lovely looking combination simply to have my cash extracted from me. How do I keep landing myself in these conundrums? Off I go to make some phone calls!

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Oops :-( it wouldn’t be a Lowrez journey if it was all straight forward, at least better to have realised there is an issue now, rather than finding out on Thursday! Good luck getting it all sorted out
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Ha ha - at least I know where my passport is :) just checked the rest of the trip and it hangs together OK, talked to World Airfares and I should be sorted by tomorrow - I wonder how though - got a feeling I am gong to miss the meal again.

Terry I recall you said there was a pretty nice airport lounge at Joburg - not too expensive?

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    I don't seem to have provided my flight arrangements:
    Mac3 AF/KLM AMS-CDG arr JNB 5th 09:55, BA 12:45 arr DUR 13:50, Dep 11th
    Just a comment on the photos in terms of value.  You can get a photo after you finish with your medal but not out on the course or at the finish.  These are usually pretty interesting with the runners around and behind you. It also forces you to smile and takes away the pain for a few seconds! They are not so expensive I find and I've bought a few each year.  For my first finish I bought the A4 perspex option which was a nice souvenir.

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    lowrez - i've used the Jburg lounge in previous years. I think i used the one as you go through into departures from the security screening, its downstairs on the left. 

http://ortambo-airport.com/airport/airport-lounges.html

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    As in previous years I'm flying with Emirates Birmingham-Dubai-Durban on Wednesday evening, arriving Thursday at 16:20.

A 6 mile Leicestershire league race for me today and a quite pleasing pace which was faster than last year, even if a long way off my best.  

Lowrez, yes the plan is to run to heart rate again this year.  I like not knowing what pace I'm doing.  I hope all the travel drama is sorted out.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Nice work becca. I'm planning to run to heart rate this year as well to see if it helps me at all. See you over there sometime..
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Marty. See you there. 
  • lowrez: hope the flights get sorted okay!
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

You want my pace chart MM.......

Happy to send to people.  It is Excel so not postable here.

It includes full breakdown of hills, gradients, etc....
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    BTW I won't be running these paces this year.....  This was my design for 2013
  • Bike It said:

Fantastic thanks BikeIt! Link works great. One querry is that the pacing chart gives a halfway time of 4:15 for a BR, is that a bit fast given the difference in difficulty between 1st & 2nd half even allowing for a bit of slowing 2nd half?  
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    2012 Female and Male Comrade winners:

Elena Nurgalieva 
    Ludwick Mamabolo
    + me

• Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Bike It: you just scared the cr@p out of me with that course profile!!!!  lol
  • PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    That's a great spreadsheet Bike It.. and I'd agree, a bit scary!