Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Cheers Bus - Hope you are feeling less injured again!

SG - 'Ric's 30 x 200??'  I'm sure I mentioned it first ;) but I'm sure Ric did this session before I ever did, to be fair! although I'm not sure if the recoveries are the same, I do 10 with 10 secs, 10 with 20 and 10 with 30.

16 x 400 last night, 4 sets of 4 off 60 secs with 2 mins between sets. Averaged 67/68, only 66 for the quickest- warm and windy so not ideal, so happy enough with those. Nearly on the verge of a blister though doing faster reps with the £25 Salmons on.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    :D Simon.  
    How the heck can you splosh 67/68s out, that's insane. You're an animal!
    Imagine how good you could have been/could be with a bit more dedication ;)

I'll follow the 5k plan through before trying new stuff out I think, so having done a non track 30 secs x 12 instead of the 200s a few weeks ago, it was onto sesh 5.

6x800, 2x400, 2x200
    Zone is 1.20 laps, and for the first 5k sesh I put in 1.18s for 600s, so a bit ahead of schedule, but as we all know it's always easier to put quicker in for shorter!

1.20s proved dead on though, slightly off at the end, but average bang on
     2.39-2.40-2.38-2.40,2.41,2.41

1.17-1.17 and 35-35 for 400-200s.

I've "probably" done these slightly quicker before, but 1.20 was the aim - so i'm on track. It definitely wasn't too easy, I still needed a nice sit down on the track for a couple of mins after!

For once, I didn't take 400 splits on the watch midway into the 800s, but instead kept a "loose" eye. No idea if that influenced things.

Interestingly, chatting to our super vet yesterday, I mentioned the couple of reps at 3.10 pace. He said he'd done 6x3.10 off 2mins! So was disappointed with a 17.10 5k!!
    But he's a real phenomenon, talking about doing 200s in 28/29, and 400s in 64 etc.
    As reps - not flat out.
    He's after big stuff, like international and world records for distances. Big aims.
    No idea what his chances are, but must be somewhere near to even consider it.
  • SG, bus, I see Silverstone 10k is late this year, Wednesday, September 4th 7:30pm. Any interest?
  • Nicely done on the reps SG. Interesting about not taking splits at 400 on the 800s, perhaps removing a bit of pressure for dead-evens?

'Only 66' and averaging 67s/68s, Simon, I wish I could do that :D 

Had to shuffle the rest day this week, as I'd planned it for today - but yesterday turned out that I wasn't able to get anything in. No real biggie.
    Plan today was still intervals, however I'd convinced myself to do 8 x 3min (2mins) rather than 6 x 1km (2mins) - I always find that reps for duration have less pressure than reps of distance. Probably because expectations are more dominant with distance than time.
    Rough plan was to see if I could hold them a bit faster than the 2mi threshold from last week (6:23s), so had ~6:15s in mind. First two came out as ~6:10s and although a bit fast against the plan, felt pretty good, followed by a 6:05/mi - bugger, I thought, as it sets the tone for the rest of the session. Manage to pull the next 4 down slightly, with a 6:04, 6:03, 6:01, 6:00 /mi, although it was starting to feel tougher by the onset of the 6th rep (I kept telling myself 3 more to go). Thought I might as well see if I could do better on the final - finishing with a 5:53/mi, which was definitely a push, but a confidence boost.
    So, averaged 6:03/mi for the 3min reps, but with the recoveries I covered 6.18mi in the 40mins of the session. Pretty happy with that, as it shows a large step in the right direction over the last couple of weeks! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    SG, bus, I see Silverstone 10k is late this year, Wednesday, September 4th 7:30pm. Any interest?

Very much so big man (pending any unforeseen situation/clash)

Have always wanted to do this one, but has always been bad timing midweek pre Marlow 5

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done on the reps SG. Interesting about not taking splits at 400 on the 800s, perhaps removing a bit of pressure for dead-evens?

'Only 66' and averaging 67s/68s, Simon, I wish I could do that :D 

Had to shuffle the rest day this week, as I'd planned it for today - but yesterday turned out that I wasn't able to get anything in. No real biggie.
    Plan today was still intervals, however I'd convinced myself to do 8 x 3min (2mins) rather than 6 x 1km (2mins) - I always find that reps for duration have less pressure than reps of distance. Probably because expectations are more dominant with distance than time.
    Rough plan was to see if I could hold them a bit faster than the 2mi threshold from last week (6:23s), so had ~6:15s in mind. First two came out as ~6:10s and although a bit fast against the plan, felt pretty good, followed by a 6:05/mi - bugger, I thought, as it sets the tone for the rest of the session. Manage to pull the next 4 down slightly, with a 6:04, 6:03, 6:01, 6:00 /mi, although it was starting to feel tougher by the onset of the 6th rep (I kept telling myself 3 more to go). Thought I might as well see if I could do better on the final - finishing with a 5:53/mi, which was definitely a push, but a confidence boost.
    So, averaged 6:03/mi for the 3min reps, but with the recoveries I covered 6.18mi in the 40mins of the session. Pretty happy with that, as it shows a large step in the right direction over the last couple of weeks! 

The certain thing, is it's easier to read your splits after :)
    Used to drive Johnas mad taking lap splits for threshold miles :D

But I'm not sure on the splits. I was "vaguely" timing 40 with looks at each 200, but to make that easier I was perhaps nicking or removing a second of recovery to go on a xx.10, or xx.20 to make it a nice round number - lot to overthink isn't there :)

The "5k zone" let's call it, as I wouldn't actually be doing 5.22 miling for 5k, is a strange one, in that it's a sort of comfortably hard, but you certainly settle for what you're doing - and it builds towards the end.

I have done 800s before where without pushing a bit of momentum builds, but I dare say that's when in form near the end of a block. I was comfy with 2.40s average today.

I really don't know if it's me, but it seems humid every day these days! Other years it's at least been "windy" a lot, or hot, or cold, but humid seems to be my much rinsed out descriptor constantly!

Nice session too . Totally agree on time over distance in that sense. The other day my track was busy, I wasn't too disappointed to edit to 30secs on a pavement instead. Doing them "hard" as opposed to disappointed to not come out 33s!

Generally though, I'm way too stuffed a shirt to go on time over distance. The occasions Mozza sent me out for "1hr 45" or "2hours" played havoc with my OCD, and I still rounded it mileage wise :)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Goods reps one and all. SG - you ask (rightfully) how Simon can "splosh" out 67s, ut hen your 800s look pretty tasty to me!

Philip - that's  good shout, and far enough away to actually give something to aim at. Just need to nail down some summer holidays to clear that date....
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Will have a big catch up later but Simon that is an incredible mile time and congratulations on the win!

17.43.56 today at the track champs so a 22second PB. Really happy with that!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

<3 Nice one Stevie..you are now officially faster than me on our last two performances .

Is that a 22sec pb at 5000m, or do you class road 5ks into the same caboodle?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Made me go and see if they confirmed Tuesday's 5k, and they have.

lost a second to 17.49, and 2secs and 6secs off 2nd and 3rd.

The margin to 2nd especially shows how much you can earn/lose in the last few hundred metres, as I was ahead with 400 to go!

5th a good 17secs behind.

The odd thing is the comparison to the 1st race of the series that I didn't do.

Winner did 16.19 there, and 17.13 here. Similar big margin to 2nd in both.

Guy who did 17.43 here did 1730 at the first one, and his mate 17.43 there v 18.14

A Maidenhead guy did 18.31 v 17.29 in the first one.

Some quite big differences for some reason. I'd "probably" say yes the first one is faster, but not as big as those margins.

The only tiny reducer was the "Pot holes" they mentioned, that saw us hopping a little, but I can't imagine they were any great slow job.

Perhaps as simple as the first race had a higher standard front end, as the first one can often. Maybe simply more people to work off gave better times all round.

Doesn't always work tho..I noticed the young Maidenhead kid who was level with me for 2km, finished about 45secs behind!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work SW - I'd take that as a 5k or 5000m PB either way :wink:

Great timing for a slightly hungover LSR today - went out just before midday. Forecast said 19C and drizzle - was actually 25C and sunshine!  Feeling it now - thank goodness for the the tap at a shooting lodge ten miles in!!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Certainly felt a bit different to usual days bus even at 7.20am for my 12.
    Kept it lesser for a rampage tomorrow. Should be fine..11and 12 pre monday pm efforts last year. 
    Still 7.03 pace but felt a lil sluggish.
  • Bus, I'm impressed that you managed to get the whole long run done, given the hangover and heat! I'd have probably packed it in, or strategically moved it to Saturday :D 

Congrats on the 5000m result StevieW! A strong PB, and looking forward to reading your report. 

Nice LSR SG, I have no idea how you manage to get out that early on a Sunday! Was glad to read on Strava you made the most of the conditions for a 'taps aff' affair :D 

LSR for me too, 14.5 at 7:35/mi. Faster than some of the shorter easy runs I've been doing, but without overdoing the effort - average 75.7% MaxHR (although, it was creeping high-70s in the last 4 or so miles). Last week (albeit different route, but similar elevation, conditions etc.) was 14.25mi at 8:03/mi for 74.8% MaxHR.
    Definitely turning a corner. Ends the week at 56.3mi.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Never need too much excuse MH - I was shirt off in the rain once, as it was still warm!

At the back of mind I have Ric's chiding words about how it doesn't help racing as you have to race in a vest - or Aley saying if anything you wanna train in more gear...

but I was nearing the peak of the route, so it was time! It gives maximum incentive to stay a slim weasel too, as no one wants to see loads of bouncing gut.

On the early Sunday starts, if anything I'm getting "less" disciplined with years, as I used to get out close to 7, and now often am messing about and start 7.20-7.30.

Good to see your miles in the 50s.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    SG - im with alehouse, use training as a time to work on heat training too. It would help you cope better with the warmer training days and races. Easily done with a base layer, and hat or cap. T shirt on the hottest days, save your vest for race day.

Good to see Bus getting back to it, got to keep the M50s going.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good theory TR, but I often feel melting in training, yet generally am ok in races, with the exception of that GSR last year. Possibly in the same way that most training runs i'm obsessed with breathing and humidity, but in a race less so.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Cheers TR :smile:

I was "taps aff" too Matt. I don't pin a number to my vest or run at high speed on thees, so let the old RDM take care of such minor details :smile: . To be fair, it's mainly cows and squirrels that get to see my hairy chest, whereas SG runs through town sending all of the heterosexual young ladies into a frenzy :smiley: 

Despite the heat and hangover, the legs actually felt OK today, s thought I'd make the most of it. At one point I toyed with a 16. Ony toyed mind :wink:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Who can forget the most homo-erotic scene ever seen In the running community, as a topless Bus strode round the streets of Cabbage Patch post heroic 10mile time, flanked by me and Phil. I recall one of the two of us was topless too. Probably Phil ;)
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the support, TR! "Train heavy, race light" is the club motto. Just enjoyed the Bangladesh match. Hope the lads are having a good season and that you go well at Yeovil. Hope there is little or no wind! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Ale - agreed, good training approach. Bangladesh were good. My eldest has been playing, the 18 yr old doesnt want to play until he has finished his A levels in 10 days (his choice), he has even turned down a couple of county games. Yes, lets hope for no wind at Yeovil, i had more than enough of that at Brighton.

SG - you obviously concentrate more on race day then.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The race day magic TR - the obvious one that speed is always easier in a race than in training, but also perceived issues disappearing. To some extent anyway!

This time next week will be a peak of knackeration...post endure!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps fitness wise, I'm so unbalanced, run for hours without much reaction, yet core wise, just 20 push ups, even cheat ones with knees on bed (!) still  mean my chest aches a couple of days on!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    TBF SG, I don't normally wander round Twickenham High Street topless, but post CP, with blood poring from nipples I make an exception :smile: Glad some will have enjoyed it though :smiley:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

I swear that nipple excuse gets more extreme each year :D

Tediously transferring my last few weeks to excel, I thought I'd just compare Tuesday's sesh to last year, and realised one slight thing - it was meant to be 2mins in between the 800s, not 90secs.

Last year I did the session twice, once with the full 2mins, and once, again wrongly with 90secs...

The 2min job was 2.37 average, and 90secs last year was 2.36. Was flying relatively then.

So this year's 2.40, while spot on the actual same zone used, obvs isn't exceeding like last year.

Having a look back at the difference in lead ups, last year after a successful Wokingham, I did a number of Datchet sessions, often hill loop  reps, plus "Unstructured fartleks" (rampaging round smashing segs), and had the 800s session done as early as May 1st.

This year, after missing Wokey, there was a bit of a threshold lead up to Maidenhead 10 April 19th. Hopefully just a bit later getting up to speed this year

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I like to keep race kit for race day and going around public places half naked should be the preserve of teenage yobbos. As PMJ mentioned the last time we had this conversation, you need a top to wipe the sweat from your eyes.

Nice 5,000 metres SW. Nothing exciting from me, had a bit of a cold last week so only 37 miles or so but 50 miles on the bike today was fun.
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Have been topless on both halves of the reps this week - with water over the head!

Brilliant 5K SW, Really well done and into the 17.00's! Good reps from SG and MH - although for thickos like me it would be easier if you could do 8 x 1k next time yeah? ;) Its only a bit more than 3 mins anyway, might as well eh..Great stuff both though - getting there!

the stunning grounds of Wrest Pk for the 6 x 1k session on Saturday, a nice pan handle, letter 'P' session..from the bottom of the round the loop then back to the bottom, off 90 secs. Came out 3.03,3.02,3.03,3.02,3.01,2.58. I made sure I was doing all of the loop right round to the top to make sure I was doing the full K, but felt good, so happy that the times are accurate enough.

What a difference 24 hours makes. Perhaps it was watching the kid playing cricket in the morning, or what I ate the night before, but the Sunday run was horrible. We were on our way to watch our god daughter run the 200m at the SEAA U20/Senior finals at Bedford, I got dropped off at about 1.30pm in Canfield to run the 13 miles to the track. Didn't feel strong when I started, had to go for one dump in a field and then after about 10 miles in this dodgy pub in Kempston. The a grass snake slithered past me on the river path! (bizarre..). Anyway was a bit of a mess by the time I got to the track. Even though the wind was behind me it was tough and so humid. Yuk.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon - surely 800s are one of the easiest to work out, it's not like it's 600s or so :)
    As long as you're not one of those nutters who checks kms when racing in miles. Annoying to racealongside, when some random beep goes off, and you're thinking what the heck is that even!? :D 

Good dumping action. If I ignore the guaranteed one before every single track session and race, I haven't gone all "Poop dela outdoor monte" for a few years now.
  • SG - Its was more about MH doing that session that 3 min session - then timing it in mile pace. Too difficult for me - just do K's and time them ;) Yes, checking K's in a race with miles is a bit mad, apart from the marathon, where checking every 5k is the most sensible option, especially with parkrun now.

I think the al fresco crapping may be due to my favourite dinner the night before - egg fried rice with roasted chicken amd veg. I know veg is great, but it was a real mountain! Too much to handle!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You normally know relatively early doors if you're on dangerous ground stomach wise, and that the churn will only see it go one way.

So once, when I was about 10miles into a sunday run, the shock at basically fertilising half of the countryside still lives with me now!
  • SG - Its was more about MH doing that session that 3 min session - then timing it in mile pace. Too difficult for me - just do K's and time them ;) Yes, checking K's in a race with miles is a bit mad, apart from the marathon, where checking every 5k is the most sensible option, especially with parkrun now.

I think the al fresco crapping may be due to my favourite dinner the night before - egg fried rice with roasted chicken amd veg. I know veg is great, but it was a real mountain! Too much to handle!

Next time I'll save you the agro and quote them as 800s 😉 but, luckily for you, I'm doing the 6 x 1k later this week... But I'll be sure to break them to /mi pace too! :D  

I consider myself pretty lucky that I've never had any sort of stomach issues on a run... Yet.