Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    McF - I was 5th in age category, so prob missed out on the qualification. You did need to register, so small chance someone ahead wasn’t fussed or ineligible. Unlikely though...there was tons of depth to the race and people travelled for it.

AAAAARRRGGGGHH - unlucky - how far behind the 4th placed were you?

Does that mean you will be first reserve if they did all register because one of them might be on holiday or injured when the time comes?

• Options
    I was about a minute behind 4th Skinny, and with faster halves this year too. Heat really does kill me. Yes, I was inside the qualification time, so eligible for places that can’t be taken by the first 4.
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Delayed onset grandad syndrome?  As in gone to the...
  • Options

Delayed Onset Nodular Exhaustion?
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Muddy unlucky with the vet placing, fingers crossed for an drop out

McFlooze I would need a few days recovery after drinks before running, well done on getting out racing

Managed to get 12mls on Saturday, bit of a drag :( running tonight and hoping to do a tempo session this week for the first time in a wee while.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Decent enough going, Bob given the efforts you have put in during the previous 10 days.

I saw quite a few people popping up doing this bear relay mcf. Good going with that and the parkrun.

Muddy, shame on the Hull outcome. There is always a chance that not all 4 registered or one of them cannot make the race date. Excellent romancing also.

I think any running was a bit of a drag Saturday, Kevin.

I managed a very slow 5k yesterday, as was suffering from over indulgence of booze from Saturday.

Welsh castles on Sunday. This will be the first time I have run a leg which I have previously run so have a time to shoot which seems rather lame. I am on leg 18 which I did 2 years ago in 51.xx (7.6m) so averaged 6.45mm and that got me 11th. If I can average 6.25mm, based on those results from 2018 i'd be nudging top 5.

• Options
    Beer relays and Bongo's Bingo sound good fun, McF - and tidy paces in the former too, hope the hip flexor issue amounts to nothing more.

Bah, unlucky with qualification there, Muddy. Good racing though, looks like most of those with other halfs on their record this year at the sharp end were something either side of 2 minutes off their best too, so conditions definitely in play there it seems. Good luck with the lovely Leamington lady!

Sounds frustrating, Pete. Like the DOGS acronym though! Hope something clicks for you soon.

Love that SW coast path, David. Have had several very enjoyable runs along various stretches of that on holidays over the last few years. Hope the lead into the 10k goes well, likewise into the Welsh Castles for you, DT.

18:15 will certainly be a challenge, Skinny, though I did go 19:06/18:50/18:52/18:32 in 4 consecutive parkruns in the space of 3 weeks last year, albeit the first of those is a slightly tougher course. I'll also be tapering for the target race, it's in an evening rather than first thing in the morning, and whereas there was 37 seconds between the blokes who finished ahead of / behind me at Saturday's parkrun, in last year's equivalent 5k, there were 15-20 runners in the 40 seconds or so either side of my target time so likely to be a proper race rather than the time trial of the weekend. Thanks for the pep talk anyway, that's made me even more determined.  B)

Are you still logging a few miles here and there? Any progression either distance or pace wise in training yet?

Low key club event tonight, optimistically labelled the 'Dream Mile'. Basically a straight, flat thrash along the HP lakeside in whichever direction the following wind is assisting on the night, but Oslo it ain't. Anyway, should be good fun, with plenty of friendly rivalry around my predicted time. Tommy will be there helping to organise, but isn't running it this year after battering himself in a 17 mile random-athon at the weekend!
  • Options
    Thanks for the pep talk anyway, that's made me even more determined.  B)

Are you still logging a few miles here and there? Any progression either distance or pace wise in training yet?

Yeah hopefully my negative motivational chat will spur you to go sub 18!

Yes last two weeks I've managed

5, 2, parkrun

6 and a 5 last week.

Plus I'm doing some gym cycling too and lots of bent leg raises and some fell walking.

Just been for my third massage in 4 weeks and definitely not as painful as week 1 and although you do get used to pain I think my muscles are still tight but not as tight.

Hoping to get in three 5 milers this week but will settle for something like 5,2 and 6 instead.

Got my crazy barefoot running man next Wednesday so will probably give myself Monday and Tuesday off next week to make sure my calves don't restrict the session with him.

Also just bought some calf guards to try and reduce the calf strain.

I'm throwing everything at this - fingers crossed.

• Options
    Good luck Skinny.
  • Options
    Excellent - well done, Skinny. And if commitment and determination are any sort of factor in this, then you'll be back to a competitor's shaped training schedule before the year's out. Also keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Good fun in an entirely masochistic sort of way at our Mile event tonight. Plan was to approach the first half as I would a track mile (get out hard before trying to find a rhythm hovering right on the red line), but without delving too deeply into the well of misery through the second half, and hoping to avoid a sprint finish by not having anyone threatening me too strongly over the closing stages, as I also want to give it some beans at track tomorrow night.

Fortunately I was only passing people after things settled down from 200m or so in, and didn't have to work too hard to hold off the 3 closest runners behind in the closing stages. Still bloody hurt though, and a mile is a dispiritingly long way on the red line when you're going straight from point-to-point!

Garmin Connect reckons the tail wind was only blowing at 6mph, though the banking at HP will undoubtedly have amplified that to at least some extent as usual. Quite how beneficial that is when you're moving at ~12mph yourself though, I've no idea!

Anyway, from the second row at the start, I was timed in by Tommy at 5:11 which was just a second off what I'd predicted, and beats my 5:17 track mile last summer. That was very windy down the back straight though I seem to recall, and of course there were no corners to negotiate tonight either, so difficult to know how they compare. Should get a better marker with a track 1500m back at Charnwood next week.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Bob - Decent effort last night and good to have emptied the well too much. You well positioned in the second wave of runners which came through.

Muddy - unlucky with the 5th placed finish, hopefully you'll still get a call up though.

Skinny - sounds promising, fingers crossed for you.

DT - I find it easy to chuck the towel in at parkrun too when things aren't going to plan. as they say, there's always next week - which I think is part of the problem.

As Bob mentioned, I opted against running the dream mile last night as I was still recovering from Saturdays race - a 17 miler predominately along the SW coast path with nearly 3000ft of elevation gain and effectively no flat apart from a couple of miles over sandy beaches which drained the legs even more. It was also over 20 degrees to make it extra fun. After it took me about 70 minutes to do the first 10k I knew I was in for a pretty long day so just tried to enjoy it in a type-2 fun kind of way. Ended up finishing in 15th place (out of a mere 60 starters) in 3:30 and was in need of a good sit down and plenty of water. As I said to Bob last night, The SW path is great for a training run but any sort of race effort is bloody hard going.

An easy run today before Wednesday's fell race.    

• Options

5:11 for a mile - not sure how strong the wind would have to be for me to manage that - well done Bob.

Tommy 3:30 for 17 miles sounds pretty brutal - must have been hard for organisers to with so few running. Fell race on Wednesday? That will let you know pretty quickly if you've recovered enough.

Pete have you ever been up Jack's Rake? Just curious as to how hard it is as sounds like difficult to change your mind once you've started.

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Bob - fast time wind or no wind..

Tommy - I do prefer my longer runs to be hilly but 3000ft elevation :/

Skinny - fingers crossed, last massage I had was my first and only, never realised how painful it could be

9mls last night which turned out to be a progressive run with last couple 7.30m/m, ran with someone that managed to pace me round albeit he talked and I just nodded as we got into the last few miles :)

• Options

Tommy 3:30 for 17 miles sounds pretty brutal - must have been hard for organisers to with so few running.

The organisers to what? Sorry folks. *too

Are you aiming for a race Kevin?

• Options
    I ran 5.4 miles yesterday in the sun in 40 minutes although I missed a run midweek so that was only my third run. Quite exciting!

That was Saturday - yesterday was another beautiful day and I felt okay so I ran same route again in 39:20 or 7:17m/m.

So now I've done near back to back runs over 5 miles I need to stop messing about with the 'going faster and faster training' which makes me feel like I'm back at page 1 of the thread.

Saturday - 5.4 miles in about 42 mins with a friend.

Tonight in the pissing rain 5.4 miles in 38:45 so about 7:11 miling - felt great. Running in the rain, calves tight, massive blister on my toe but none of that mattered - I was in a lovely rhythm and was just tapping out the miles. Running is great.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Pete have you ever been up Jack's Rake? Just curious as to how hard it is as sounds like difficult to change your mind once you've started.

I did it once, probably when I was in my 20s.  The missus went up by a walking route.  I agree that you have to commit.  I was with an experienced scrambler who went up first.  A few sections (chimneys?) where you make progress by wedging your elbows and knees and wriggling upwards, if that makes any sense. Protected from the drop most of the time but there are a couple of exposed sections. Not for the faint-hearted and I wouldn't consider it now.  Make sure you check an up to date source to find out whether any crucial bits of rock have fallen off recently.  I once had a big shock attempting to repeat a much earlier ascent of Lord's Rake on Scafell only to find there had been a massive rock fall and it was no longer considered safe.
  • Options
    Nice run Skinny.  I love it when it rains whilst I'm out (not so much of a fan if it's raining from the start).  Glad you're feeling positive.

Managed an easy 12 last night after work around Hyde Park.  Felt sluggish at various stages through the run but kept the pace as even as I could.  I think my legs are still shot from that trail run to be honest, either that or I'm still getting over this cold.  Either way, 12 miles in the bag.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice Mile running, Bob.

Tommy, again not my idea of fun but you seem to like it to like it so well done. Yes the problem with parkrun is that there is no investment on my part. I haven't targeted it or paid for it and know that I can always go again next week.

Nice 12, David.

Skinny, sounds very promising. I suppose on low miles and no targeted sessions you can run easy at quite a fast pace.

I have ticked over this week with a circuits/spin combo on Monday then a similar experience to Skinny with 7 hilly miles in the rain yesterday which was the best I've felt running in a while. Just felt really easy and comfortable. The downside was it was hammering down from the word go so I was soaked within 5 minutes.

Small session over lunch today with 30 minutes of 3 minutes at 10k effort and 1minute at easy.

• Options
    Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    PeteHew said:

I did it once, probably when I was in my 20s.  The missus went up by a walking route.  I agree that you have to commit.  I was with an experienced scrambler who went up first.  A few sections (chimneys?) where you make progress by wedging your elbows and knees and wriggling upwards, if that makes any sense. Protected from the drop most of the time but there are a couple of exposed sections. Not for the faint-hearted and I wouldn't consider it now.  Make sure you check an up to date source to find out whether any crucial bits of rock have fallen off recently.  I once had a big shock attempting to repeat a much earlier ascent of Lord's Rake on Scafell only to find there had been a massive rock fall and it was no longer considered safe.

Thanks Pete - that doesn't sound like something I'd want to do whilst out on my own so will probably leave Jack's Rake to the young.

DT19 said:

Skinny, sounds very promising. I suppose on low miles and no targeted sessions you can run easy at quite a fast pace.

Yes and there is no structure to stick to so I can just run based on how I feel on the day and run again once my calves have calmed down a bit. Hopefully more serious running with a structure is something I can look forward to in the next 12 months.

Nice mid week 12 David.

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

DT all they miles kicking in when running feels easy

David good miles

Skinny running with a smile and miles ticking by, great feeling

7mls tonight planned in the rain with a wee group of runners, I have a 10miler in sept around cumbrae skinny, but would like to build on my last 10km when getting round was my main goal, hopefully I can build up some training and look at a 10km near me in August

• Options
    A 5k recovery over lunch seems to have loosened the legs a bit so glad I went out.

Enjoy your 7 tonight kevin, always more enjoyable when running with others.  What sort of time are you looking at for the 10 miler in Sept?

• Options
    Big-Bad-BobBig-Bad-Bob ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Your post gave me a big smile, Skinny. Great to read - think we all probably know that feeling when you're building back up after losing fitness for whatever the reason may be, and you head out the door one day and just feel that pure joy of tapping back into a brisk rhythm as fitness starts coming back to you.  :)
    Good luck tonight, Tommy.
    Sounds like things might be coming back together for you as well, Kevin. Good stuff. Like the sound of the Cumbrae run - spent a fair bit of time on Cumbrae after getting the ferry across from Largs when I was younger. Have some happy memories of the place, including a random chat with Tommy Docherty who happened to be sitting on a wall in Millport as we wandered past.
    Tidy little session at lunchtime, DT looking at Connect.
    Decent mileage on shot legs, David.

Enjoyed track last night - fortunately the worst of an almighty evening downpour had cleared by the time I got there - positively biblical for a while. The recoveries ended up being slightly random, but was broadly:
    6 x 90s off 90
    2 mins
    6 x 45s off 60
    2 mins
    6 x 15s off 30
    The efforts came out slightly faster than 3k (-5:30/m), around mile pace (~5:10/m), and then basically some -80m strides at between 400 and 800 effort without much recovery, ending with an all out 100m foot race with a clubmate for the last. Good fun. 
    Certainly emptied the legs judging by the lunchtime recovery jog. Very tired and they need a stretch out this evening. Looking forward to a couple of rest days, one more recovery run and just one more longer reps session before Monday's 1500 to get a bit of life back into them.

N.B. I've never been up Jack's Rake...nor anyone else's for that matter. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice bit of track work, Bob.

David, a recovery run done properly is very useful. I scratch my head when i see people doing an 8 miler at easy run pace and call it a recovery run. 

Enjoy the 7, Kevin. 

Lunchtime session was 8 x 3min off 1 min at easy pace do 31 mins constant. The efforts should have been 10kp which i hoped would all be sub 6.20mm however i really struggled to work fast enough, though I'll lay some blame for that on a baffling wind that seemed to be almost persistently a head wind. Fastest rep came out 6.20. session was 4.6m at 6.42 average, so all in all a handy little session, though it leaves me a bit worried about being shit on sunday. 
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

David hoping for 75mins, it is a fair route but I have struggled over the past 2 years getting round, but hopefully turned the corner so to speak.

Bob enjoy resting up after that strong session, fish tea after the race back at largs

DT plenty of miles done over the weeks, good luck on Sunday

Meant to be running tonight but may give it a miss to go support my club 10km, not been at the club in a while and should get back as it brings you on

• Options
    Good luck Sunday, DT. Was thinking about your tricky session again - was it just a 'dial in to race pace' job? Can see the sense of it if so, but otherwise doesn't look like something that's likely to break you out of your touch of post-mara apathy. Have you got anything a bit different lined up to give you something fresh to get your teeth into?

The post-race fish supper sounds good, Kevin - Nardini's by any chance?

Legs felt nicely recovered with a bit of bounce back in them after Wednesday's recovery and yesterday's rest day so quite enjoyed the lunchtime 1/2 mile reps despite the chilly driving rain. Due to both time limitations and as a nod to the recent hard efforts decided to keep it to 5 reps rather than extending it to 6. Undulating route as well as the wind and rain, but at least the wind was mostly assisting the uphill efforts and against the downs to balance the effort a bit. Average of 5:49/m off an average of about 1:45 was ok in the conditions. Determined I will extend these out to 6 AND do them on the track next weekend though.

Very easy few miles tomorrow AM if I can squeeze it between bouts of sociable boozing with some visiting relatives, rest day Sunday, then Monday's 1500m and Wednesday's 5m Summer League. Outside shots at breaking the PB in one or the other as they're both a bit soft compared to other distances either side of them. We'll see, and conditions don't look all that, particularly for Wednesday, but will certainly be giving both 100%.

Have a good weekend all, anyone racing apart from DT

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Bob, it's just building me back into intervals and tempo whilst not damaging sunday. Last week was 6m at sub mp, so this week was a bit less but attempting to introduce faster segments, albeit i didnt get there. There will be faster stuff to come it's just a matter of reintroducing it whilst balancing the fact that sunday will be my third race post london plus a parkrun. ive only otherwise raced 3 times since January inc London. 

Nice session over lunch. I went out for an easy plod and strides and it was far from great out. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Faired better than expected. The leg is tougher than it looks on paper. 7.6m with about 240ft of elevation. The problem is it's a semi permanent gradual incline, plus as it's a point to point in a pretty much straight line, any head wind is with you all the way.

Two years ago i run 51.18 on this leg. I felt i should be able to smash that. Came in 47.53 for a well over 3 minutes faster.i  counted finishers and had me as 10th but bloke just ahead of me told me he thought he was 12th, then on strava a guy a minute behind me says he was 11th. Was hoping for top 10 so I'll just have to wait and see. 
  • Options

Big improvement DT!

I just ran two 5.4 milers last week as after my first one I had a massive burst blister on bottom of my second toe that I thought I should let heal a bit before running again.

Got my crazy barefoot running man on Wednesday so not going to run before then so my calves are nicely rested.

I'll feedback how it goes :-)

• Options
    Great mile and track sessions Bob, you've really got teeth into this summer. So glad your mojo is back.

Yes, well done DT that's a great improvement !

Good luck Skinny.

I was absolutely beat up after Hull half so took a recovery week, running as and when I felt like it without any mileage goal attached. Back to it this week, in a front loaded style, as I have a race this Sunday: the Speedway 10k in Chepstow which is flat and fast (the cut off for entrants is 45 mins).

Also I got an email from England Athletics on Friday evening to say I'd qualified via Hull for the England Vets half marathon team at the Maidenhead Half. So that was good news  :)
  • Options

Also I got an email from England Athletics on Friday evening to say I'd qualified via Hull for the England Vets half marathon team at the Maidenhead Half. So that was good news  :)

Great news Muddy - now I'm wondering what that actually means - do you get an England Vets vest to wear and keep?