Monday, 3rd June 2019 - Caught up in the action I've been looking out for you

chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
Morning :)

Lyrics today: Caught up in the action I've been looking out for you

Muggy old night here. Still 22 degrees at 4am and we're forecast thunderstorms.

Run will be a sweatfest :). Still hoping for something medium longish.

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - Natural Blues - Moby.

A quiet thread yesterday.

Send heat here chicksta! You seem to be putting in a lot of miles at the minute, is this your P&D half schedule?

What:          short and easy
    Why:           taper
    Last hard:   looking at a long work day mostly consisting of training zzzzzz
    Last rest:    27/5

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

Forgot to post yesterday

Hot in Hamburg chick. Just muggy here.

What: a walk
    Why: did a walk yesterday and removed a lot of stuff from garage to other rooms ready for kitchen work to start (now apparently on Wednesday, but I'll believe it when I see it).
    Last hard: moving things. And getting the kitchen delayed and delayed as I grow ever larger
    Lyrics: nope

Lmh it was a great tea, highly recommended and fantastic service as well

Have a lovely day all
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: a couple of versions I think!

Happy birthday Dibs3690!

Not seen OH for a few days; hope everything is ok!

How was the relay, Dustin?

What: catch a bus and run back

Why: forcing myself to run for more than an hour
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

We do seem to be missing a lot of regulars at the moment.

What: 5.18 miles
    Why: It is the plan
    Last hard:Only running 5 miles :)
    lyrics yep

Nice and cool for my run this morning.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    LMH: No, this is Berlin marathon training now :) doing the 18 week build-up as I kept mileage down for my HM campaign. Only 17 weeks to go. Scary how time flies. Hope the training day isn't too boring.

Em: fingers crossed re. kitchen delivery

Enjoy your longer run, ale

What: 13 muggy sweaty miles
    Why: summer training for Berlin
    Last hard: today was a bit of a pain because I broke in a new pair of shoes and  the left one was rubbing badly.  Ended up with raw skin on the top of my big toe joint despite several attempts of retying. Bugger.
    Last rest: 25/5
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Morning..

Haven't been able to read back yet since returning from hols - will do so but I hope everyone is well.

Warm night that Chicksta - not so good for sleep. 

Is it Yeovil this weekend LMH?

Have a nice bus-run combo Ale. 

Nice running WP - I like the idea of you wanting to do more!

What: not sure yet - hot here as well and thunderstorms likely this afternoon - want to do a run with a quicker couple of miles but will do it by feel
    Why: HM on Friday evening- remind the legs that they can do quicker miles
    Last hard: finding motivation to start working again this morning
    Last rest: 31.05.

Lyrics: familiar
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Welcome back, Hazel! Trust the holiday was a good one!

Mini-taper, WP

A pain when shoes rub, Chick! Daughter did a half ironman yesterday in the wind and rain. By the time of the run her shoes and socks were soaked; I don't like the pictures of her feet that she posted! Rather a mess! Same event last year she got sun burned!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all!
    Ale - well done on the park run
    Emz - The tea sounded good...

Sorry been a bit awol this weekend
    *warning - long race summary ramble...
    Saturday was the South Downs Relay. Just short of 100 miles from Beachy Head to Winchester, 18 legs of 4-8 miles, teams of 6 (so three legs each)
    You submit a rough estimate of team time (there is a prize for the team closest to estimate) and start times are staggered from 6am to 9am so that you normally finish in a ~1hr window.
    We had a mixed team of both gender and ability but the aim was to get round and have fun. 
    Luckily one of our team had a transit with 6 seats and plenty of boot room to get us between the checkpoints.
    Our start time was 6.30am, Beachy Head is a 90 minute drive, two hours if you stop for coffee, so left home around 3am...
    I had legs 1,7 & 12 - the first is up and over the Seven Sisters, and is just over 10k with about 900 feet of elevation. Even at the early time it was sweltering so a good job I took 3x vests, shorts and socks, plus more to change into afterwards. Leg 7 is 5.25 miles, with a big climb, then some rolling ground but a steady long downhill to finish (admittedly on rutted gravel track) and 'only' 550 feet to cope with.
    Despite being hotter (25-28c) this was actually cooler as there is an escarpment you run along perfect for gliders as there is a reasonable breeze off the downs.
    Leg 12 is another 5.2 mile leg, with similar ascent, straight up, along, and back down the other side. Have to say the legs weren't playing ball, the climb was slow, the ridge run was more run, stagger, run, stagger but with a couple of miles to go you hit a shady chalk path and a long downhill (the last half mile through a field) so tried to open the legs up as best I could and managed to pull a 7.01 last mile out the bag..

The last 6 legs were spent trying to cool down and breathe and return some kind of feeling to my legs (it hasn't worked yet). It's like running three hard trail 10ks in the same day at 100% effort.

It is a great event, plenty of support, not only from your own team but many of the others - by it's very nature you are normally at the same checkpoints with many other teams at the same time, including both our "A" and "vets" team, the latter were the first "vets" team.
    Beers and burgers in the finish field, finally made it home by 10:30, shower and then a looooong sleep.

yesterday was a 3 mile recovery run, legs still battered

Today - an easy lunchtime run
    Why - legs still battered
    last rest - last Saturday
    last hard - this Saturday
    lyric - yes

• Hope you had a good holiday hazel and the return to work isn't too stressful. Yes, Yeovil is on Sunday.

I'm not too sure if you enjoyed that or not Dustin........hope your legs recover quickly.

That's a long first run in new shoes chicksta, hope you can sort the blister. 18 weeks until Berlin? I should probably be starting my autumn marathon training then!

No company for your longer run this week Alehouse?

At least it's only a mini taper Poppy and you can run more miles soon.

Hope your kitchen plans work out emzap.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    ahh LmH - it is very tough, and it is a very long day, but it is undoubtedly one of the best events on the race calendar and thoroughly enjoyable.
    It is a big commitment though, the day itself is 20+ hours, and ideally you need to recce all your legs, some of which are 1-2 hours drive away beforehand....
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Glad you enjoyed it, in a tough sort of way, Dustin!

Watching cricket, Emz

What: bus run! 12.12k, longest run for a couple of years

Why: M74 currently not running long on a Monday as he is gearing up for a short track season. He will probably start going longer in July. Was thirteen degrees (not thirty) and windy so still more or less in winter gear: long sleeves, rain jacket, tracksters. Right hip and Achilles a little niggly. Will see how they are in the morning!

Below 10 stone for the first time for a couple of years, so more or less a stone lighter than last June. I know some of it will be dehydration post run but the trend is downwards! 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    LMH: They were another pair of Tracers and I've worn 3 pairs previously with no issues so I didn't give it a second thought... I think it's a botched seam. Noticed it when I still had 5 miles to go ...

Sounds tough indeed, Dustin. Very well done.

Welcome back Hazel. I feel your pain re. work. Just been there 🙄 Did you have a nice holiday?

Well done to your daughter, ale. Sorry to hear she had shoe issues as well.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Dustin: It sounds a tough but enjoyable day :)

Ale: Well done on long run lets hope no reaction in the morning and great news on weight!!! yes a mini taper for me, wish I could get my weight under 10st :(

Hazel: Glad you had a nice holiday:-)

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Dustin sounds like a great day out.

Ale yes TMS. No sky here
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    oh afternoon even, back to work
    talking of weight, I only gained 1.4 pounds after a week of naughty eating and drinking!  
    Alehouse, that is amazing about your weight!! wow, I hope you are lots shorter than me I feel fat now! Nice miles as well
    dustin flip! That is some long run, I will catch up properly later, busy back at work
    hazel hope you had a good holiday
    chick what a pain re shoes! Where are you getting tracers from?  They are phasing out I think
    LMH enjoy the short and easy
    poppy good miles!
    What: couple  later
    why: race tomorrow and thursday
    last hard: saturday night football :-(
    last restL: 31/12/16

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    oh miles for May were 80 which is my highest May since way before 2006 and maybe even before
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Hope you've recovered now Dustin.

chicksta - even using the same type of shoes I'll only do a short run (8 miles or less with options to bail) in them the first time as I've had issues with 'Friday shoes' in the past.

Nice long running and weight loss Alehouse. Your daughter might need to look at her socks - I found finding the right ones made a huge difference.

You did well to only gain that much Wabo - I'm expecting to bet you next week:-)
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening!

Socks could of course be an issue, LMH,  but I think the main problem was she got soaked on the bike and then at the start of the run. What socks do you suggest? 

re new shoes, I tend to wear them for a month or more at the gym to break them in. 

Wabo, I'm six foot five. Sorry, meant five foot six. Assembly League? And what is Tuesday? And are you still planning on Snowdonia? 

Emz: England's fielding was not up to standard. Disappointing display...especially from the South African born Jason Roy!

Managed a fair degree of cross training in the garden this pm! 
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    cracking effort Dustin, well done

parkrun plus group tonight at club (a group of 8-10) wanting to progress from 5k to 10k.... 3.6m tonight with them plus run to / from club as well

busy week ahead

Take care