Comrades 2019

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Just don't run to the cricket oval :D - there is a bit more in the end piece than the downslope, niggly bit of a climb but nothing in comparison to your standard Comrades hills :) then some remarkably daft undulations once you get into the race course, uneven ground, rutted grass racecourse - typical Comrades curve balls thrown at you when you are most exhausted. Also don't be fooled by the walkway arch over the course (it even had a timing mat in front of it in 2017) very close to the end, Camille Heron was fooled by it two years ago, thought it was the finish post and stopped, switched off her watch and celebrated shaking hands with the crowd just the other side of it and had to be "encouraged" to carry on to the real finish. Couple of videos:

False finish

Real finish 

• jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    That fake finish gantry almost fooled me as well on my first Comrades run (the hot one in 2013) as was really struggling for the last few k. 

Accompanied an old college friend in the half event local city marathon yesterday, all went well & he shaved a few mins of his time from last year. Guess that's it pretty much 'til Comrades although must admit I am looking forward to seeing what a 2000 person parkrun looks like on Sat next at North Beach.

Wishing everyone a relaxed trip to Durban.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Bike It said:

Fantastic thanks BikeIt! Link works great. One querry is that the pacing chart gives a halfway time of 4:15 for a BR, is that a bit fast given the difference in difficulty between 1st & 2nd half even allowing for a bit of slowing 2nd half?  
    Yes MM - I agree with you there but there is only a few minutes in it.  These figures come from the Alsoran link that was posted earlier.  I would also suggest planning to go through half a little slower.  If I was running a BR attempt I would try to go through somewhere around 4:20 to 4:25 and budget on the easier sections from Cato Ridge to Camperdown and the downhills from the High-Point and the top of Pollys to compensate for the exhausted legs and diminished resources.

People can just change the column P data on the 'pacing chart' data of the tab and the paces should be calculated.  On race day I will have 'laminated' it with sellotape and tuck it in my ASA number which is sown to my vest. 

Yes I've already terrified myself
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    BTW - Most people from sub-9 to sub-12  will walk all of most of Polly Shorts and most of Little Pollys (Mpushini).  It is vital that runners attempting to get medals with slim margins account for that in their time budget.  These hills can mean 2-3km of walking in the last 13 km.
  • Hi all.. I'm on the Heathrow to  Durban flight direct overnight thursday...If I can get everything done in time... The last two years we had already arrived and were touring Capetown
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Sorted me ticket - 22:30 outa LHW Thursday night - 10:25 in to Joey the following morning - 12:45 out arriving in Durban at 13:50 Friday, still time to Expo and Alan Jackson with Jimmy Buffet (It'll be 5 o'clock somewhere, probably the Durban Hilton by the time I hit the bar)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Great pictures Bike It - I bet those youngsters are tearing up the place now :) faster than you :)

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Lowrez, sounds like we are on the same connecting flight from Joey to Durban.... I just have 2.5 hours longer hanging around in JNB..... but I like having the safety margin between flights :-) I hadn't considered the lounge option until someone mentioned it earlier, seems like quite a good idea
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    BI - thanks for those links. Another scared runner now!!!!!!

lowrez - great you have your flights sorted, see you for the meal Friday evening then!!!
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    McH the first time I was ever in a lounge was my last Comrades - I had good reason to expect a DNF so I thought I might as well have a good time! The one in Heathrow was very pleasant, the one in JNB somewhat less exciting.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    The Virgin Upper Class lounge at Heathrow is unbelievably good.  Worth leaving early just to hang out there.  The one in Joburg is fairly good too.
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    I also found Bike It's charts scary!  You somehow smooth out the Big Five in your mind.  But if it results in taking the first half easier then it's had the desired affect. Will be flexing my recently acquired KLM gold card in the Amsterdam/Paris lounges tonight!
  • Very exciting for you all. Not long to go now. Will be following you all in spirit on Sunday. Can't believe its come round already. Are you having a list of numbers put up so we can follow you?

Debra - good luck to you too at the weekend
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    20607 for me.  How are you doing after your fantastic 10 in 10 achievement, Snail?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

So McH I have a 2h20m stop over at Joburg - I probably need to be at the departure gate 40 minutes before the flight, and as I recall, taking it easy from international to domestic can easily take 30 minutes - I won't have any hold baggage but its a fair old trek and you have to re-do security. I better not dawdle about! Probably won't crash the lounge for just an hours worth, will fritter away some time in the cafes and shops post security, but see you in the queue and on the Durban flight!

I will be 5 and a half hours at Heathrow though, thanks for the Virgin tip Dannirr - I am flying a Virgin/BA combo, wonder if that gets me a discount through the door.

Will definitely be in town for the Friday meal Marty, trying to persuade Goldie1 to come along but she is being elusive again, was a no-show in London although she was at the gig and put in a very respectable time.

SS - 10878 - I feel a list coming on...

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

20607 - Becca7
    10878 - lowrez

• Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    20607 - Becca7
    10878 - lowrez
    47902 - PeterR

love a list … 

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    McH 12749

Lowrez, will look out for you in T3 as I plan to get there about 5pm for my 8pm flight..... unfortunately my days of having a VA gold card are a distant memory so will be hanging around the coffee shop!
  • Ooh love a list too - as long as I don't have to do it, then I can't mess it up!

Becca - all good here thanks. Not doing too much running but am surfing the net for another challenge :) When I booked the 10 in 10 it was only 14 weeks away so i need something a bit further away I think. Was looking at the Ridgeway challenge 86 miler for next year.

Debra - have you done that one? Any thoughts
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    20607 - Becca7
    10878 - lowrez
    47902 - PeterR
    20885 - Marty74

Safe travels everyone. See you in SA!!!!
  • Hello All,  I haven't been keeping up but I will go back and read everything pre-race so that I'm pumped up enough to enjoy the coverage at home this year.  I did want to drop in to wish you all the very best of luck for Comrades this year and for safe travels this week.  You've got a serious journey ahead this Sunday, try to enjoy those moments when its possible but head down ticking off km markers for the rest. 

Comrades takes real fortitude and if you've survived 61 pages of Lowrez's jokes then I know you are ready for this!  Just don't give in....it's the overcoming personal trials and challenges that makes the Monday morning breakfast chats at Mugg & Bean so unmissable.  

Wish I was there
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, Marty is right about the lounge and its whereabouts - after security, just ask if you cannot spot it.  It's the "Bidvest" lounge.  I've found it to be very good value previously.  I don't know the current price but it's probably about R300.  Apart from food and drink, etc. you can also have a shower to pass time and freshen up if you're stuck there for ages.  I did that once.

I've been off the grid for wifi / internet for a few days.  It's great to see all the plans and excitement building up.  I look forward to seeing you all. 

I'm having my own excitement.  Did my first of four scuba dives today, towards my "Deep Specialty" PADI cert. (I'm in Sodwana Bay)  Three more tomorrow, then I head for Durbs on Thursday.

Take care and avoid any hyperactivity injuries all.
  • Southern Snail: I did the Ridgeway 86 last year and I'm entered for this year as well (will be there so long as SDW100 and Lakeland 50 (and WW night 50K) don't break me). Nice bunch of people, much of the trail is runnable. Mostly well signposted but I'd recommend having the route on your watch as well if you can. Least-well signposted around the villages! Not yet sold out for this year...
  • Ooh no. This year is definitely too soon. I don't know how you run as much as you do. How long did it take you? Haven't actually mentioned this to Mr SS yet  :/
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

McH I land at 4:55pm in T5 will wander over to the T3 coffee shop :)

Psst SS --> Wow

Glad you are continuing cross training Terry and going from strength to strength with the diving

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    20607 - Becca7
    10878 - lowrez
    47902 - PeterR
    20885 - Marty74
    49072 - Bike It

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Safe travels all.  I'm driving down on Friday.  It will be an ultra in itself - last time it was 13 hours

JNR I've been in your chair for the last 2 years - the first year I couldn't actually watch the race as I was so upset I couldn't participate.  Last year I did watch every hours or so for the start, leaders progress, gold medal and the key cutoff and the final call.  Take care and see you the second Sunday in June one year soon

Good to hear that you are enjoying the diving Terry - it's a completely different world down there and nothing quite like the excitement of a deep dive.  It's all about control and caution though when you go to those depths - just like the first half of the Comrades up run
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    20607 - Becca7
    10878 - lowrez
    47902 - PeterR
    20885 - Marty74
    49072 - Bike It
    12749 - McH
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    20607 - Becca7
    10878 - lowrez
    47902 - PeterR
    20885 - Marty74
    49072 - Bike It
    12749 - McH
     9346 - Slow Duck

Safe travels everyone - see you around in Durban.
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Bike it - I sometimes get my number order confused (strange as I am an accountant), but you didn't help that.

Safe travels everyone, I fly tonight on the BA flight at 7pm.