Options

Comrades 2019

Comments

• Options
    Settled in Jo'burg these last couple of days. Had a 30 minute run this morning, felt very lethargic - i'm blaming altitude :D ! My race number is 12333 if you want to add it to the list lowrez. Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    On my way to Heathrow now. How exciting :) Everyone seems to have got there rather early..

In terms of lists. I am staying at the Hilton and my race number is 5457.

See you all at Lingella or possibly before !
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Yes MM2 - the altitude here is around 1600-1800m.  Moderate in altitude terms but enough to make a UK based person feel a small difference as the partial oxygen pressure is not what you are used to.  It is quite normal and will pass by the time you are in Durban as you return to low altitude.

Good result on the dive cert Terry - it sounds very enjoyable

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Mac3- thanks for the heads up about the bag tag. I was checking through my race pack and didn't realise I was missing one until you mentioned it!!!!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Made it to Heathrow, not attempting to update lists on Android, if I find a proper computer I will give it a go.

Where are you McH and Thomas? I have a t-shirt with Comrades in bright yellow emblazoned on it. Will scout coffee outlets looking for you.

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Lowrez, I’m currently sitting by the info point near cafe Nero - but no Comrades stuff on ! I’ll put my laptop away and have a stroll around looking to spot your T shirt
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Have fun & finish that race guys

:-)
  • Options
    pottermisspottermiss ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I've been to the Expo today and the international bag tag was not automatically given at number collection, it had to be asked for, anyone else I spoke to also had to go back for it, so another heads up to check if you're going tomorrow or Saturday. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Was contemplating not putting a drop bag in. Didn't need one last year but I suppose a drafty old bus ride home is a different matter on an up run. I recall first up run I purchased the bus ticket back and left the wristband on the hotel table, managed to blag my way onto a bus anyway.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good to see you McH, safe flight, see you again in Joburg in a few hours
  • Options
    seren nos: Great news about the job!

Everyone: Have safe journeys and a great Comrades!
  • Options
    Good to hear everyone’s arriving, can’t believe it’s been two years since I’ve been here.
    Yes, you do have to ask for a bag tag if you want to send one to the finish, and you can also drop it off outside the Expo on Saturday to have one less thing to worry about at the start. However, to add to the confusion, some people seem to be getting yellow ones and some blue. It’s not clear which are the tags for the international area. I’m planning to go in again tomorrow to clarify, but if anyone else finds out first can you let us know?
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    I was given a yellow tag (which I had to ask for).  It's not marked in any way to show it is for the International Tent. 

For those going to Lingela tomorrow (6:30pm), the table is in the name of "McCarthy".  There were too many Comrades people there tonight and it might cause confusion with a table name of plain old Comrades.
  • Options
    Lowrez. I just arrived at the Hilton. Those plane rides are soul destroying.

Didnt see your post whilst at Heathrow but “wearing a Comrades shirt” would have narrowed you down to a few thousand :)

Will head to the expo when it opens. I have nothing planned until Sunday so looking to pass some time if anyone has any suggestions/is also at a loose end.
  • Options
    Our Man at the Expo (Dannir) tells me the international tags are gold OR blue. So all good.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hilton done just taking my running shoe to the Expo to register :)
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting that Lowrez, I’m busy sorting my stuff out ready for going to parkrun and expo tomorrow, had forgotten about need to take my shoes/chip !
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Should those of us staying at Belaire meet in the Lobby between 6:20 and 6:25 this eve for the short walk to the restaurant?
  • Options
    Will someone please post a picture from your dinner this evening for those of us left behind in the UK. 

Glad most of you are there, registered and no late dramas with flights etc.   

My social media feed is blowing up with Comrades at the moment - got lots to catch up on after work today so maybe I'll see some of you on there too. 
  • Options
    pottermisspottermiss ✭✭✭
    @Mc Hilly yes that'd be great!
    Hopefully everyone's arrived safe and sound and settled in. 
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Good plan McH. See you all later. 
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    In case you hadn’t heard the first  cut-off has been abolished due to the road works/safety concerns. This was Coach Norrie’s initiative. 
  • Options
    pottermisspottermiss ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for making me so welcome at the meal last night! Sorry I didn't get to speak to everyone. Have a fantastic Comrades tomorrow 😊

• Options
    jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot Mac3 for arranging the dinner last night, think I ate more than I'd planned for the whole weekend in one sitting! It was nice to put faces to the forum names.

Very best of luck to everyone tomorrow.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Coach Norrie did something useful  :o
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone has had a restful day and feeling ready for the morning! I’ve 2 questions for those at Belaire......
    .... Anyone interested in meeting up (earlyish) to find somewhere local to eat?
    ....What time are people planning to leave the hotel in the morning to walk to the start?
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I have a spare wristband for the international area if anyone wants it
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Mac for organising a great evening. Nice to meet some new folks and catch up with the usual suspects. 

McH, I’ve already had my usual pre-Comrades dinner. Tomorrow we need to be at pens by 5:15 and it’s about 1.5 miles to walk. Better to get there a bit earlier so perhaps leave at 4am? 

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    4am sounds good to me, will see you in the lobby at 4