IBS

i have been diagnosed as suffering from IBS.Howver I am finding it very difficult to determine what the triggers are. I have completely cut out caffeine and milk but there doesn't seem to be any link between other foods despite keeping a diary. I am getting pretty desperate as the cramps and pain is becoming unbearable. I take Colpermin capsules which help with the bloating but don't seem to do much else now though they did help a few months ago.Interestingly red wine seems to help.Anyone have any great tips they would like to share.

Comments

• Buscopan is available to buy without prescription now and that's quite good for cramps. Do you think the red wine helps because it relaxes you? Many IBS symptoms are stress related.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • GradgeGradge ✭✭✭
    I've tried all the OTC meds and none seem to help when the cramps get bad. I don't think it is stress related but could be as I would only have a wine if I am not working the next day and that in itself relaxes me. Bizarrely I tried an ibuprofen gel on my stomach which combined with a hot water bottle seemed to help. Just so infuriating as I've tried food diaries and there would appear to be no link at all. Cramps only flare up every 3-4 months but other symptoms present daily-bloating,frequent visits to toilet etc.
  • Women have been using hot water bottles for cramp for years - not strange at all. You could try the heat pain relief patches that you can buy? I take it you've been back to your GP?
  • GradgeGradge ✭✭✭
    Women have been using hot water bottles for cramp for years - not strange at all. You could try the heat pain relief patches that you can buy? I take it you've been back to your GP?
    Yeah my wife told me for months to use a hot water bottle. Been to GP and happily nothing sinister going on . Just a case for me of trying to monitor foods and deal better with the flare ups. Thanks 
  • I meant more in going back to see your GP and telling them that the OOC meds weren't cutting it and seeing if they would prescribe something. It's frustrating trying to work out what's exacerbating things and sometimes nothing seems to - I take it you've tried the usual culprits - dairy, caffeine, wheat?