Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope the injury is on the mend, Lorenzo, sounds like a painful one.

Did the Crisis Charity Square Mile 10km last night. An interesting little event which raises money to help the homeless.

It started in Paternoster Square near St Paul's and was started by comedian Nish Kumar who did a funny set on a small stage just before kick-off.
    The route was along pavements where we had to dodge the late rush hour workers, mobile phone zombies with no idea of their surroundings, and drinkers standing outside riverside pubs.

The route was sort of a double loop, we ran over Southwark Bridge four times.
    There were two races going on, a 10k and a 4 miler. By the middle of the second loop I also had to deal with extra crowds as I lapped the slower runners in both events. I was clear for the first mile and had a 6.28 split but the crowded roads and tight turns slowed us down.

Anyway, it was all good fun. My time was 38.45 but the course was definitely short of 10k by about 500m.
    Finishing position was 19th out of 277 and from the 15 or so of us that made up the works team, I was first, so bagged the bragging rights. The team were fantastic and we all had a good beer afterwards...and a kebab!!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Lorenzo - I was planning on doing the Norfolk 100km in  a couple of weeks time, but have had to give that one a miss. There is a 24 hr endurance race in Nene Park, Peterborough in August, from 12 noon on Saturday, but I am supposed to be preaching on the Sunday morning. I could always bail out sometime during the night I guess, or maybe find a stand-in. Not sure yet.
    OO - how did the pilates go?  Okay, just read your comment :)
    Stevie - hope focussing on the mara training pays off.
    Fish - good news on the ribs; sounds like a tricky bike ride. Maybe I should take some binoculars - didn't spot anything particularly unusual today, just a Jay and 4 deer (roe?)
    GD - sounds like a very worthwhile event. Good time considering all the dodging going on, even if it was a bit short. Nice one.
    Was a few minutes later than planned setting off this morning, but more than made up for it by averaging 7:33/m - oops. 23 miles in all and 80 for the week so far. There's a big event in the local park tomorrow and I need to be there fairly early to help set up, so will take a rest day.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Blimey Gul that’s another big run- you deserve the rest. Pilates was okay, a few positions impossible but others okay. I’m going to stick with it for a few weeks.
    Good time there GDawg always good to be top dog in the office  ;)
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Hey all, been away with work and resting up the hamstring (read: drinking too much and eating really badly, with no excercise) for the past few weeks but getting back into it now; first 5 miler on Wednesday felt OK on the legs (terrible on the lungs); so hit the track for 12 x 400s last night - absolute killer, only managed 10 as rep #10 was a tough 83seconds down from hitting 76s earlier in the session; so called it a day.

Summer Speedway 10k next sunday over in Chepstow; not looking good - hope I don't just come dead last!

Will catch up on everyone's news on the thread - as always there's a lot!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - if you can't make the (G)ultra work, how about an Autumn marathon ?  York?  

OO - have fun at Hillsborough tomorrow - I'd have come down to say howdo, but already have plan in place for 7:30 start at Endcliffe café . Hillsborough getting a bit crowded now, for the 3 lapper (over 400 last week) ;  mind you Hallam (Endcliffe) had 700 . .   
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Crikey Lorenzo take care. Those sudden falls are no fun. But the tube project is heroically bananas and well worth persevering.

Leslie - good comeback. Soon be flying.

Gul - as ever, get a race in the diary, you are doing the hard work so it's time to cash in with PBs.  
    "(G)ultra" is a welcome addition to the OED

GD good effort given the need to dodge the unenlightened who for some reason think they are as important as runners.

Stevie - Berlin will creep up - such a fast course, got to do it justice.

Phys on Weds: she said it's not a ligament, its the fascia inside which is in a bit of a state and much tighter than Kin Jong-Un's control of the N Korean government. Good news: not cartilage or meniscus. Bad news: need to find a decent sports masseur and pay him/her to inflict a lot of expensive pain. Poachette is just about ready to jog a mile or so - fingers crossed.  As runners we are generally string, but also quite fragile. No running for me for the foreseeable.

Good luck all - time to plan autumn triumphs.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Poacher - "No running for me for the foreseeable"  . . .  but not  all over ?   pleased to hear Poachette on the cusp of a return too ;  fingers x'd for you both  . . . .   
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Thanks Birch. I would still like to come back for the ton but if not, then not.  There are other things to do. Poachette has been offered an elite place in Berlin but would probably be better off waiting for LM 2020.

These painful problems put into perspective the amazing longevity of people like Birch and those wiry men and women you see at vet races, still running strong after decades of training and racing. Absolutely massive chapeaux all round!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Poacher - Glad to here it's not the end to your running career. Hopefully the masseuse can inflict some healthy pain and get you sorted! Yes agreed plan with my coach, after the 10000 on 20/06 all roads lead to Berlin. 2.45 isn't going to run itself!!

Enjoy parkrun tomorrow Birch & OO!

Did my standard pre race tune up of 2m/drills/ 6 x 30s strides/cooldown. Feeling in really good shape so I'll be gunning for a PB on Sunday! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, same coach, roughly same distance to race on the same day, but my standard run is 4 miles easy, 6 x 30 then cd. 

in the scheme of things  that's reasonably positive news isnt it, poacher? 

Good to hear your back at it Nicko. 

Sounds like a decent event, gdawg. Always wirthwhile having workplace bragging rights. 

Gul, another set of big runs. It would definitely be a shame not to have an Autumn mara booked, such as Yorkshire. 
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Sounds positive Poacher - or at least not negative :).

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I guess that shows we are on individual plans DT! Tbf it used to be more like yours for longer races. Best of luck for tomorrow!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    It can be quite hot in Berlin, this is a fine place to rehydrate afterwards.  Long tables shaded by chestnut trees, beer, carbs, a classic German beer garden and a destination for plenty of tired but satisfied runners. In Prenzlauerberg which is a convenient area to stay. 

https://www.pratergarten.de

Thanks for the comments, it could be much worse, and cycling is a good summer substitute. 
  • Poacher - sounds encouraging. Fingers crossed we'll be seeing you on the start line (and at the finish) before too long.

DT / Stevie - could you message me the contact details of your coach? You both seem to speak very highly of him/her.

Good 10K there G-Dawg - I can vouch for the fact that it's not easy running at speed through the London rush hour!

Gul - is it just a clash of things that's meant you're not running in the 100K? For some reason, I find the idea of a 24 hour endurance race a bit odd; I'd much rather have the target of running a particular distance.

My leg was already feeling a bit better by the time I went to the osteopath on Thursday evening, and his view was that the problem was just fluid build up around the knee as result of my tumble, and that it was to be expected that it would stiffen up after it cooled down or after a night's sleep. A bit of pulling my leg and a massage later and he said it should be OK as long as I gave it a rest from running for a few days.

So, was out on the bike for a bit yesterday and planning to get out again tomorrow morning, before trying a gentle run on Monday when hopefully things will be back to normal as I still want to tick the Circle Line off in the next few weeks.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear the leg isn't anything serious Lorenzo. I've sent you a message ref coaching
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great news Lorenzo sounds like you’ll be ok to run round in circles 👍
    Poacher I don’t really understand the medical condition you have. Is it very serious- is it likely that deep massage with improve it?
    Remind me Stevie, is your 10000 on the track- whats the event and your target time?
    Birch, finally I ran Hallam parkrun. It was a last minute call mainly due to pouring rain- what a shame I missed you. I ran it as a progression run 6:54, 6:24 and 5:58. Hopefully saved something for my race tomorrow evening. 
    Junior OO is now home safely- we’ll have a good old ding dong at tomorrow’s race 😁
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    ah, OO - thought it was you - I'd just got back with my friend to her car parked near the driveway , after our 16 miler;   you were wearing your "250" shirt ?   Gave you a shout , but couldn't seek you put, as I had to depart pronto to pick up daughter & bf from Leeds/Bradford airport . . . .    
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    37.46 this morning so 2 seconds off a PB. Happy with that though as I'd forgotten how hilly the course was. Had a good sprint battle at the finish with another runner which I just won so good fun!

Ran most of the way with a lady from.the club who came 2nd so a good day for Knowle & Dorridge!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo do look after that injury

Stevie - flying

OO it definitely felt better after being stretched out and generally pummelled last week. I think the diagnosis by the first physio was simply wrong. 

BTW Brilliant run at Comrades by Gerda Steyn, first female ever to go under 6hrs on the up run. She looks so relaxed at the finish. Smashed the record and won by almost 20 minutes. Chapeau! 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqhHH3NsgyU

And she took the time to be interviewed by student tv....another chapeau moment
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LiKdUaIePU
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Excellent work, Stevie. Shame to just miss a pb but it's not an easy course.

i did better than i thought i might today. 7.6m in 47.53 for hopefully 10th. that's 3m 25 faster than 2 years ago on that leg. So im not quite as far off where i want to be as i thought. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Birch I did hear the shout, still a shame we didn’t meet.
    Pain always brings gain Poacher 😜
    The Blaydon race was actually 5.35 miles tonight and I ran 31:06- my target was 31 but assuming a a 5.25 course.
    Average pace was 5:49 so I can’t really complain and fairly even paced. Junior OO was 11th lady and a minute back from me. The new shorter course was fast and furious so lots of PBs out there.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Official chip time updated to 31:02👍
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nice work by you and junior, OO  . . . .   

6 yesterday, to follow the 16 on Sat - legs sore, but not as bad as I feared - heady heights of 35 miles for the week :)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Great work Stevie, strong running.

The speed continues OO. Proper rapid.

Glad the leg is better, Lorenzo.

Pretty quiet here. Just 12 miles on the trails on Saturday. Adductor still sore, so rested yesterday.
    With the Swim Serpentine 2 mile event happening in September, I thought I’d best see if I could still swim some distance.

Managed to somehow drag myself out of bed this morning and started swimming in Guildford lido at 6.45am. Unheard of for me!

Anyway, managed 32 lengths of the 50m pool, so bagged a mile. Took just over 40 mins and is the furthest I’ve swam for 8 years when I was swimming for rehab after having my hip reshaped. Felt pretty straight forward, just kept it slow. With better technique, I should go quicker and therefore go further easier. Looking at you OO for some tips!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    nicko - hope you can get into shape for the 10k.
    Birch - good to see you clocking up the miles and a nice long run on Saturday too. Having the usual date problems for an autumn marathon. Might possibly do a low key one in September.
    Poacher - I don't know my fascias from my soffits, but hope it can be sorted without too much pain or expense.
    Good news on Poachette though.
    Lorenzo - sounds like good news from the osteopath; hope all goes well today. The problem with the 100k is that it's just before a big family holiday and there were concerns that I might do some damage and spoil the holiday. Still not sure about the 24hr endurance race either, but it is after the holiday!
    Stevie - that's a cracking 10k and super fast for a hilly one. Well done!
    DT - great work on your relay leg.
    OO - cracking racing from you and OO jnr too!
    GD - nice swimming there; you should be in good shape for September hopefully.
    Saturday's event in the park went ahead in spite of the forecasted rain and high winds. One or two things had to be cancelled, but the wind wasn't too bad in the end. I was helping out a guy from a motor sports team with his rally car as his brother couldn't make it. He was certainly very busy with lots of people coming to look at the car and asking lots of questions. Quite ironic as I don't have the slightest interest in cars! He was a great bloke though and we enjoyed the day despite the rain. His brother drove up to join him on Sunday and they parked the car outside our Church and we had another outdoor event - weather was much better! 2 long days and decided to take a rest from running. Back to it this morning with 14 miles and some "hill" sprints, which is becoming a bit of a regular Monday session at the moment.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Stevie - excellent 10k, you're really rocketing.
    OO - that is a ridiculous pace you're cranking out as well.
    Good long swim GDI bet those last lengths were tough in the long pool though
    Lorenzo - good to hear the injury is not too serious and you'll be back to form soon.
    Gul - crazy mileage as always.

Project "Don't Come Last" is going OK - slow 7 on Saturday and last night first progression run with the club since the hamstring issue last time I went; it was a little wet but a good turnout for what turned out a decent run. 20 mins easy out at just under 8; 10mins steady back then whatever you've got left for the finish. Miles came in 8:05, 7:32, 6:56, 6:19, 6:02 and 5:33 for a short finish section. Not in as bad shape as I thought with the time off though lots of work to do (even got some best efforts for 2mi, 1mi, 1k and half mile on Strava - though I don't know how this can be correct).

Hoping to log a sub 40 on Sunday; not sure of actual pace yet though; a week of training is probably sub-optimal.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    nicko - sounds like a good club session; you should definitely be in with a shout for sub 40, I would think.
    A bit later out this morning that the last few Tuesday mornings, so just time for 17 miles @ 7:36/m. Steady rain as well as steady miles so ended up pretty well drenched.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Interesting tack session tonight. Jog bends then run a strong 100, do that 4 times. Then rest for 2 mins before running 400 at full pelt, then cool down jog 200, then run a strong 200. Rest for a minute and do it all again, 5 times in total.

So, the 400 was the feature rep, my splits were 70, 73, 73, 70, 70. Pretty pleased with that, especially with some wind slowing us down.

Running to and from the track bagged 10 miles for the night.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

oo- That is some pace.

Nicko, is it the speedway 10k you are running?

Nice going with the 17, Gul. It was grim here all through Monday night and almost all of Tuesday.

Final placing for Sunday was 11th, missing top 10 by 3s. Only 20s separated 7th to 11th so another day I might have finished higher. Recovery 5 Monday and an easy 8 yesterday, somehow finding the only gap in the day it didn't hammer down.

Another easy 5 today and circuits tonight.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Poacher - Thanks for the recommendation, will try and check it out while we are there!
    OO - That's a fantastic run at Blaydon, absolutely flying! I'm running Leamington AC's club championship 10000m on the track as a guest. Target will be sub 37 and to place as high as I possibly can.
    DT - Great run in the relay, I might mention it to my club for next year. I know some of them enjoyed the Hilly 100 relay.
    GDawg - That's a big swim for the first one in years! A lot further then I could manage although my lessons are starting to pay off. Speedy track reps as well.
    Nicko - Good to see you haven't lost too much speed
    Gul - Excellent miles as usual. I'm going to got soaked in my 8 miler last night and probably my 8m tempo tonight!

Two Castles 10k:

Was looking forward to this race as it happens to be the first race I ever did back in 2011 when I used to run an occasional 10k off football fitness. Fresh off my 5k PB on the track I was feeling fairly confident that I could get a PB. Got dropped off at Warwick castle and jogged out a 1.5m warm up before entering. There was a separate section for Warwickshire Road Race League runners with proper toilets and plenty of space for strides which was a pleasant surprise!

Lined up around 6 rows back from the start as we were walked through an archway to the start line. Plan was to set off at around 6min/miles then see what happened from there. Gun goes off and we set off out of the castle and downhill, have to check the pace slightly when we hit the flat as the watch is saying 5.30s! Quickly settle into a little group with a guy from Solihull and Rachel from our club plus a couple of others. First mile comes up in 5.57 so pretty much bang on where I wanted to be. Didn't notice my watch go off for the 2nd mile but its exactly the same pace and I'm feeling in control. Rachel is tucked in behind me but sounds like she's working really hard, keep thinking sh.e will probably drop off soon.

The hills start in the 3rd mile, this is when I realise I do absolutely zero hill training! Find it tough going but try to make the time back on the short downhills, on the limited flat sections I am still holding 5.55 pace so till quite confident. Come through 5k in 18.50 so a bit down from where I wanted to be but nothing too drastic. The next 2 miles are basically slowly uphill so 6.16 for mile 4 and then 6.06 for mile 5 as it flattens out a bit. Rachel came past me at around 6.5k and opened up a small gap, gave myself a mental kick up the arse to get back alongside her.

Came into Kenilworth and tried to up the pace and kick for home, focused on reeling in runners in front of me. Managed to pick off a few Kenilworth runners which made me keep the effort up to make the move stick. Caught my final runner as we made the last turn into the castle so we were stride for stride at around 800 to go. There was a dead turn which I wasn't expecting so he stole a couple of meters on me, managed to get back alongside him. At the 200m sign I decided to launch my sprint finish to try and finally get past him he was wise to this and also kicked for home! I had opened up a small gap and thought it would be enough but he came back on my shoulder at around 75-100m, had to try and find another gear and just sprint as hard as I could! Never sprinted so hard in my life! He couldn't come with this move so I crossed the line in 37.46, two seconds away from a PB. Garmin had me at a max speed of 3.01/mile at the finish! Rachel came across the line around 20s after and was confirmed as 2nd lady so a good day for the club!

5.54 for the last mile and 5.26 pace for the bits, I hadn't really looked at my watch for the last 2k so I had no idea I was so close to a PB. In hindsight I could have found the 3 seconds if I had known but I am not disappointed. Really happy with how I paced and executed it, plus it was good fun!