Comrades 2019

Comments

• Not sure about Lowrez and Seren. It's not showing that they've gone through Polly Shortts cut off :/
    14 mins to go. Fingers crossed
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    I'm watching too SS, very sad for all the folks who don't seem to have made it, but all the best people spend time in the sweep bus at Comrades  ... I do want to hug them all though:(
  • Well I've just watched the finish line and I have to say the first time I've actually seen it when the race is actually finishing. How emotional. Have tears in my eyes. What an amazing race. I admire you all. An absolutely big well done from me and Mr SS. Respect :)
  • Managed much better than expected..made the  cutoff with 20k  to go but I had been throwing up the last couple of miles so decided to call it a day...I've got the worse chafing I've ever had
    Well done to all those who finished

• Seren - massive well done. I know your training hasn't gone to plan so you've run a phenomenal distance. Don't know how you do it. Well done on the job too :)
  • Calling Lowrez. Hope you're ok
  • I saw him between 57 and 67 km..I was expecting him to go past me but I didn't see him, but he could have when I was at the roadside throwing up...I hope he managed to sneak through
  • Snail: yes, I found it amazing in 2016 when I was there but not running.
    Well done averyone who finished - and well done seren nos ge
    Any further updates?
  • Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Debra - how are you feeling?  Well done again. Have you caught up on some sleep 💤 
  • Southern Snail: thanks. A little tired, but amazingly not too bad. Legs are a bit stiff. Had a bit of sleep and a soak in the bath. Our cat approved of the former more than the later, and is back on my lap. Hoping I will sleep well tonight. Very glad I've taken tomorrow as a day off
  • ... the earlier comment got truncated. It was supposed to say: "and well done seren nos getting that far in the circumstances."

• Thanks all. Endless thanks to everyone who provided insight and guidance through this thread.. BUT.. I think y’all understated just how tough it is :smile:

I was absolutely humbled out there today. That was absolutely insanely tough. The Comraderie is incredible. By the end I encountered a first for me.. the realisation that downhills were just as bad as uphills. Gah so many people got me through that.

Congrats to all and condolences to those who got swept.
  • Thomas - well done again. Fantastic result
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Fabulous tracking job Snail. Was pleased to see Bike It had finished after all the injury woes of the past. Well done everyone. 

Great stuff Thomas. The downs are punishing. I even had downhill running technique coaching after my first Comrades. 

Hoping lowrez is OK. 

Well done seren. Was nice to see you out on the road, although briefly. 
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say well done to Debra. I ran a few miles with Stuart, as last year, and we missed you being part of our little group. 
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Fantastic achievement Debra, and to everyone at Comrades everyone was amazing to achieve what they did regardless of the distance completed, time taken

lowrez hope you’re ok? I know our paths crossed lots of times, and you always looked strong, I had assumed you were ahead of me, hope all is ok

ps F2D - the bus ride back was good, nothing like the experiences you’ve described in the past :-)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hello a far from downhearted 1owrez here. I made the 20k cutoff with 2 minutes to spare and knew the game was up then but wanted to play the endgame out to the max. I ended up being the very last person to climb Polly Shortts, my garb helped considerably in not being hoiked from the course, the sweeper van tracked me at a (Southern) snail's pace up the hill causing the longest tailback in history, and just as I was about to cross the mat they rolled it up in front of me and put it away! I said "Oi! Put that back!" But we just fell about laughing. I then attempted to run past the marshalls and on to the finish, but this giant shepherd's crook hoiked me off the course. I had a wonderful day out there. I slumped to a much reduced pace after about 30 miles due to constant nose diving of me left foot into the ground. I initiated an NHS investigation into this about 3 weeks ago but nothing has been set in motion yet. I don't plan to do anymore major events now until this is sorted, the 1owrez of 3 years ago would have stormed home easily on a 5:38 half way.

Well done everyone I am in awe of what you can all achieve

Congrats on the job, but not the chafing Seren you did great out there today.

Brilliant result Debra

Congrats on turning green (just like Seren) Peter
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, sorry thy didn’t let you continue after the cut off, but good to hear that your safe and well! And hope you get the foot sorted soon
  • Some fantastic efforts yesterday from our group. Big well done to Thomas on debut! I found it very tough out there. I fell over getting into the Pen 😂 and I think I damaged my hip, as I was in agony with it from 45k to go to the end. The hills were unbelievable, much worse than I remember from running down them from last year! Over the 2 years I've had the complete experience, straightforward run and finish last year, purgatory this time. I am more proud of this year's run than last year's, as I battled some demons out there. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice these last 2 year's. I am now an ex-comrades runner, but a better person for the experience. I'll keep in touch next year, and follow your progress!
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Congrats all on yesterday, was nice to see some of you either in the starters pen, on route or at the finish. Running for the green was an incredible experience and the support on the way was amazing. 

Thanks Lowrez and congrats Debra.

what time at the mugg and bean?
  • PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone!  Sorry you missed the cutoff lowrez but sounds like you still had fun out there!  I’m really pleased with how my race went.. up to 50k-60k on track.. 20k to go it started to fall apart and I gave up on thoughts of Bill Rowan as I took many more walk breaks.  Then 10k to go I was caught by the sub 9 bus and jumped aboard, and amazingly my legs came back to life and I made it in time.  Amazing experience all round!
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Managed my best up run to date. Day was amazing as ever but nothing can quite prepare you for those brutal hills.

Brilliant to see Peter at finish very proudly holing his green number after a cracking run. 

Well done to everyone else, sounds like everyone had a fantastic experience, even if some didn't quite make it. The runners and spectators quite simply make this the best race ever.

Couldn't face a beer last night, looking forward to one today though. Just hope my legs work, well sort of anyway!!!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Peter M&B is quite a sprawling affair I think I strolled in at about 11 last year just as the group photo was being taken - it's open now :) if you are hungry
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    I’m always hungry. Have to get the car cleaned first after my brother (a novice) didn’t get his nutrition right  
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Oh my, that sounds an awful task :D hope he got his medal though, is that going in the washing machine :D
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Very well done all.  Congratulations on the various special achievements. Green number for Peter, well done SDW for Debra, good result for Mac3 and Bike It after injury plagued training, plus all others in our group. Well done Max, Thomas, RR and any others I may have missed here.

Seren and Lowrez, a great achievement and distance despite being rescued. Congrats on the new job Seren.

Three of my Stamford Striders buddies (all novices), who on not on this blog, provided a bit of stress for me. Mark Alderson spent a couple of hours in the med tent being rehydrated, while Andy Dennis was shipped off to hospital! They and Jaclyn Cambell all finished the race well - the first time I've ever had any fellow Striders in Comrades.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone (with some super performances).

I had probably my most enjoyable Comrades ever, catching up with old friends and making new ones. Objective for the day was to finish under 12:00 with the least effort possible to save my legs for Western States in 3 weeks. 11:39:45 just about job done - although it did involve walking a lot of the last bit after Pollys...

My new Japanese friend finished third! Was out drinking celebrating with him until after midnight!

I’ll be the annoying persion full of energy and without a limp today.
  • lowrez, sorry to hear you didn't make it - given your great run at Boston I agree it sounds like your foot problem was holding you back. Hope you get that sorted.
    Thomas, amazing time.
    Peter R: congrats on the green!
    PeterDHM: well done catching the 9hr bus and staying on it.
    Becca: lovely to think of you running with Stuart again - it's amazing given the number of runners.
    Marty, well done and glad you had a good run.
    Slow Duck: sounds like you had a nice easy run! Best of luck for Western States.
    Max: sympathies; hope the hip is feeling better today.
    Terry: please pass on my congrats to Mark.
    Well done Running Rodent, Bike It, Dannirr, Pottermiss.
    Everyone: well done. Have a good time in Durban and please someone share the Mugg&Bean group pics with me!
  • I really, truly want to investigate this mug and bean situation but I can’t walk - I have to slide. I’m not sure if I can even slide to an Uber :neutral:

At every point after halfway I was thinking to myself ‘this is the longest I have ever run’. Everyone did amazingly !

Everyone said once you’ve done one you’ll come back for the back to back. 12 hours later that is laughable to me :P check back in a week :)
  • Thomas: get to the Mugg&Bean. Take your medal! And of course you'll be going for the back-to-back: just wait!