Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    I get to buy one for the occasion Skinny, so they better bloody let me keep it !
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Excellent news, Muddy! I think you also have to still pay for your race entry as well! You do get a separate pen immediately behind the elites however. Still, great experience and story to tell in later years!

Bit sore today, will do a recovery run later on. Results have me annoyingly at 11th, having lost a sprint finish as well so 3 seconds in it and only 25 seconds between 7th and me. A decent gap behind then. Next runner was about 45s behind.

Hope the barefoot man goes well, Skinny.

• Options
    I get to buy one for the occasion Skinny, so they better bloody let me keep it !
    DT19 said:

Excellent news, Muddy! I think you also have to still pay for your race entry as well! You do get a separate pen...

Haha - I thought you were getting an England Veterans pen as a memento for a second :-) 

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Nice one, Muddy!  We have an international athlete in our midsts!  
    Sounds like good progress, DT.

Two Castles 10k for me yesterday.  It's a reasonable sized race with an iconic start and finish (in the castles) so attracts a decent field.  However, I felt a bit ropey on the Saturday and my period was due so very much in the under-performing PMT phase.  Regardless I thought I'd go out at what my 5k time suggests I should be able to do and slow it down a bit on the hills (it's a point to point, net-uphill race). However, despite not going off too fast, two miles in my breathing progressed to a pained gasping and target pace felt far too hard for this point. This is also the point where the two miles of climbing is about to begin so target pace becomes "run as hard as you can without dying" pace. Managed to pick it back up again a bit the last mile (but still not to target pace).  The approach goes down and then back up and around an approach into the castle  which is quite cool but also unpleasant due to the rise and a few twists and turns.  Running towards the line I noted the clock counting down to 45 mins so put a bit more of a spurt on and came in at a pleasingly palindromic 44:44 on chip.  

My best on this course is 41:06 so still a bit rubbish but based on 2 secs per pound per mile that is probably mostly accounted for by being a stone over racing weight.  I had hoped for more like 43 something but I think I generally just felt a bit off as a run the previous day felt not great as well.  Not that I was scoring but our ladies got 2nd place team overall which did make me happy.  

I've got Arden 9 on Sunday so hopefully will do a little bit better then. Will put recovery miles in this week and probably one interval session midweek - the race should cover my LT requirements pretty well.

Good luck with the barefoot man, Skinny.  

• Options

Well done McFlooze - sounds like just outside a course PB for you and 2:55 for your extra stone not to mention the PMT.

The best I can offer in the pleasing race times is that my 10k PB is 37:37 and my best time for a parkrun in 2017 was 20:00. I've never run a palindromic time :-( - perhaps something I can aim for as part of my 'comeback'. 

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Well it had better be 33:33, hadn't it?  
  • Options
    McFlooze said:
    Well it had better be 33:33, hadn't it?  

I think 40:04 is more likely than 35:53. Maybe a 20:02 parkrun or a 65:56 10 mile
  • Options
    Well done Muddy and nice running McFlooze given the circumstances.

After 4 days of not running and being a little bit cross with myself I managed to get out today for a 5m progression.  Legs felt very good but then they were well rested.  It's the Victoria Park 10k on Sunday so I'll get in some easy runs and a little bit of speedwork on Friday to give myself the best possible chance.  I'm not sure if sub 40 is on but we'll see.  Might depend on the temperature.
  • Options
    Well done McFlooze, it was very muggy round your way on Sunday too  ;)

Little bit of speedwork on Tuesday if you can David - some hill sprints perhaps - Friday is far too close to the race. However do put some strides in after your easy runs through this week.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone, I am very much looking forward to Skinny's report on the crazy barefoot training. I thought it was last Weds and that he was just being mean and not telling us about it. Meanwhile there have been lots of impressive races, and I am just about clawing my way back to regular running having managed 28.5 miles last week (up on 22 miles the week before). McF have you seen that Garmin Connect now has a period tracking function? I am quite excited by it as I was using a really annoying period tracking app and now I can use Connect instead and hopefully see how some of the data matches up with how I'm running.
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

McFlooze well done for digging in, what is the Arden 9,

Good luck on Wednesday skinny,

Muddy fantastic news with the English vets team, well deserved

DT you have been consistent with your races, more to come

David good luck on Sunday, fingers crossed for your sub 40

Nardini's it is Bob, did 13mls on Saturday all good until last few miles when feeling sick, maybe hydrated but managed to get round, wee bit disappointed after a good week of training/runs. 9mls tonight with group.

• Options
    kevin70 said:

McFlooze well done for digging in, what is the Arden 9,

It's a really bad period where the blood coagulates in 9 minutes but it smells lovely.

[I would guess it's a 9 mile race Kevin o:) ]

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Excellent news, Muddy, congratulations!

Nicely done yesterday, DT. That's a significant improvement, unlucky with just missing out on the top 10.

Skinny - hope the appointment with the barefoot guru goes well, will be interested to hear what he has to say.

McF - sounds like a decent effort all things considered.

My legs had recovered sufficiently to tackle last Wednesday's fell race - Calver Peak, which was 5 miles long with 900ft of elevation gain. Essentially the course was up to the top of a big hill and then back down on a different route. I finished in about 39 minutes and 50th place. 3 minutes and 50 places higher than when I last did the race in 2016. It's a great little event starting and finishing at a pub. Need to get braver on the rocky death trap descents though.

After some more jogging about at the end of last week I decided that I was sufficiently recovered to do another fell race (Passing Clouds) on Sunday - the next installment in our clubs internal fell champs, which I have an outside chance of winning (although will need a couple of the top guys to be otherwise engaged when some of the other races are on for that to happen).

Passing Clouds is the best part of 10 miles long with about 1800ft of climbing. The route is basically up and down 3 massive lumps of rock in Staffordshire including the Roaches ridge. I left home a bit later than planned and ended up taking a slightly circuitous route meaning a mad panic to get registered etc and therefore only got to the start line about 3 minutes before the gun and was not feeling particularly brilliant. Off we went and as with most fell races we were directed up a massive hill fairly shortly after the start. I must have been a bit dehydrated or something as within a couple of miles I was hit with a stitch...which took until about 5 miles (the bottom of the first decent) to shift. After that I did start to enjoy the race more and made up quite a few places including going up the second big climb and many more places on the fast downhill finish predominately on tracks or grass rather than the rocky technical descents. Finished in about 60th place, in about 1:35, my vague goal had been to try and get under 90 minutes but the 14 minute mile going up the first hill pretty much ruined that. Still managed to pick up a few points in the club champs and by my reckoning I'm in 3rd position overall. A great race and one I'd definitely do again.

My legs are a bit shot now (I think mainly due to the savage descents) so have decided against racing the league race on Wednesday, we're the host club so I'll head down and marshal and give Bob some encouragement when he's deep in the hurt locker cursing the wind and rain. On that note - good luck in the 1500m tonight, Bob!   

• Options
    Thanks Muddy, the plan is to stretch tonight to hopefully easy off some of the tightness from today's run.  May do some 400m efforts tomorrow in that case.

Jesus Skinny....  :neutral:

Cheers Kevin, how are things coming together for your 10miler?
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Yes, a 9 mile race.

I had seen that function on Connect, Lit, which was one of the reasons I knew beyond doubt where I was in my cycle.  That and finding myself shovelling the kids chocolate into my mouth.  I think it;s a good initiative though - wish I had the data historically. I'm pretty sure my better races come midcycle but that might be confirmation bias.  Glad to hear you're running again.  

Tommy - both those races sound lovely, but savage.  
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Ermmmm OK Skinny  :/ I've forgotten what I was going to say now.  

Lit, good to hear you are back.  I missed your hiatus, was it just life getting in the way, or injury-inflicted rest?

McF, likewise I think my best time is mid-cycle, I have had a couple of shockers around a week before my period made an appearance. Sounds like a character-building effort anyway!

Tommy, I'm a bit jealous of your fell racing, which is a sure sign I haven't done one for a long time, as I always think it's a good idea until I actually run one...  Well done on the improvements and club champs position!

Muddy, awesome! My (now former) club mate did similar last year for a marathon and said it was a fantastic experience.  

DT, sounds like you're flying at the moment.  

Hope Sunday goes well David, it sounds like you managed a solid training session, there's nothing wrong with a rest for a few days - can liven things up a lot.  

Mini update - I managed a slightly feeble 3:36 at Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago, which was a bit painful, but it was windy (in my face for the last 8 miles) and it turned out I was ill all the following week, so might have already been a bit off, which would explain why what should have been a fairly comfortable pace felt like I was working a bit too early.  Still, good enough to earn me a weekend in London next year ;) I am going to spend summer training for a 10K  :s  I say this every year, and end up doing a marathon, but I really am this time. I've done a training session from a 10K plan and everything.
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Welcome back, Madbee!  Lovely to see you.  Your plan sounds similar to mine.  I also managed a feeble 3:35 in Manchester so perhaps we can be in a "return to racing form" club for a little jaunt around London next year.  

Have you changed clubs?  Or did she?
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Tommy, another easy hill session ;)

McFlooze, think I will look up races next :(

Skinny :)

Madbee, couple of my friends did Edinburgh and said that the headwind on the return back to the finish was hard going, great time still from you

David enjoy the 400s,

9mls last night with a group, but cant seem to get my head around training, rest day today

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    McF, no, he changed clubs - though I may as well not be in one at the moment for all the sessions I manage to get to... (Grump)
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Hi Madbee! I've not been injured, just was a bit ill over the winter and got out of the habit of running, then got really busy and really unfit. However, I don't like the way none of my clothes fit me at the moment so am trying to build back up and have an entry for a half marathon at the end of August. Well done at Edinburgh and might see you at London next year...
  • Options
    10 x 400m off 90secs done.  Really didn't think I had it in my legs after yesterday's run but they came good.  Last few were hard but that was to be expected.  Averaged 5:51m/mi.

Madbee - I think you're right.  I've been a little busy recently what with trips to Cornwall and Birmingham so that hasn't helped but it's good to maintain perspective.  I really do need to make more of an effort whilst I'm away though.  

What can't you get your head around kevin?

lit - what half have you entered?
  • Options

Well done David.

Hi Madbee - well done on your GFA - visit more often, it's good for your mojo.

Lit - I'm sorry for not mentioning your return to running - welcome back - I'm back to thread lazy bones again :-( 

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    David - I have entered the thrilling new Kirkcaldy Parks half marathon, the only half in Fife. I expect it'll be quite hilly.
  • Options
    literatin said:
    Kirkcaldy 

Pronounced 'curcoddy' (with a rolled r) for our southern readers :-)

(actually I'm not even sure if that's right but the 'l' is definitely silent).

• Options
    That looks hilly and windy.  Best of luck lit, hope the training goes to plan :smile:
  • Options
    Thanks folks ! I may bust out a full report for the Maidenhead half ;) It sits fairly nicely with preparation for the Hull Marathon three weeks later.

Good to see you are getting back into it Lit. Well done Madbee on Edinburgh and Tommy on the fell racing. I'm a bit of a hill moaner - I run them but have a bit of a chunter. Looking at the EG you've done, I think I'd end up properly grumpy.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
     I've just been looking at the profiles of some of the races coming up in the club fell champs and that's made me fairly grumpy. I need to do one 'long' fell race as part of the rules for the competition and I think the only one I can make is in July. It's the best part of 18 miles long and has over 3500ft of elevation - I'm going to be out the moors for a long time!
  • Options
    Evening all.

Will it ever stop raining? Bit of catching up to do.

Excellent running in the Castles relay, DT. Your session last week proved a good one, it certainly dialled you in nicely to race pace, and as others have said that's a great improvement. Good run from you as well, McF - particularly in the circumstances. Hit a better course at a more favourable time, and there'll be further chunks to drop off that.

Huge congratulations to Muddy, that's really terrific news. What a tremendous honour, and a well deserved one too. Proper recognition of the level you've dedicated yourself to reach. Where's that party smiley on the old RW Forum format when you need it?

Hope crazy barefoot man shenanigans went well today, Skinny?

Good to hear you're building back up, Lit.

Well done getting out for another sufferfest on the fells, Tommy. Who are the two ahead of you in the Club Champs...OM & CB? 18 miles and 3500ft though...shocking hell.

Madbee! 3:36 sounds far from feeble to me. Go for it with the 10k.

Hope the build up to your 10k continues to go well, David. Nice little 400s session, that. Agree with Muddy on the strides, though I've had some reasonable results with some hill reps two days out from a race - I've just made them short reps, low volume and a touch under full effort. Did some Monday lunchtime in fact as the 1500m at Charnwood didn't happen in the end, though did run the 5 miler tonight...

...report to come.