First half, now want to go faster

I’ve just completed my first half this weekend in 1:49 and very pleased, but now want to go faster. I’ve only been running for about 18 months and I’ve just turned 53, so is a 1:45 a realistic target or is age now against me irrespective of training? I currently try to do more than 40k per week but work/family commitments often reduce it to 20-25km. I often do the local parkrun but can’t get under 22:30 which is where I’ve been stuck for several months, so have I peaked and it’s downhill from here, or would I be expected, at my age, to continue improving if I can put the miles in?

Comments

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    With training you can improve. OH gone from HM of 1:57 to 1:32 in 2.5 years at the age of 52 to 54. He does very specific workouts so no mile is wasted. 

Short answer: yes!
  • I’ve just completed my first half this weekend in 1:49 and very pleased, but now want to go faster. I’ve only been running for about 18 months and I’ve just turned 53, so is a 1:45 a realistic target or is age now against me irrespective of training? I currently try to do more than 40k per week but work/family commitments often reduce it to 20-25km. I often do the local parkrun but can’t get under 22:30 which is where I’ve been stuck for several months, so have I peaked and it’s downhill from here, or would I be expected, at my age, to continue improving if I can put the miles in?
    What speedwork do you do during a normal week? Maybe you need to be doing some running at faster than 5k pace, to improve the 5k pace. If you’re struggling for time to train then focus on quality of the sessions. I find that a weekly progressive tempo run and a speed/hill session as well as some long slow miles does the trick, and I’ll bulk it out with extra easy miles if I can fit them in.