Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good session StevieWh.

Wool - yes, if you have a Strava link to the route that would be helpful. And hotel recommendations !

As Simon sez, you pay for and keep the vest/kit. I'm never likely to wear it again on any normal training sesh though. Far too ostentatious ! It's a hugely expensive outing and likely a one-off but will be a nice little motivating race on the way to Hull Marathon. Vaguely debating whether I can fit in marathon training over the summer. However I agreed to do it with a mate who had a shocker at last years event. Wondering whether it's worth trying to use it as an intermediate target/training run and stretch out fitness to Valencia Marathon in early December, with a target half/10 miler in October.

I saw a little link on Fastrunning last night for a coaching project for 30 applicants, so on a whim, I applied for that, having never been coached or done anything remotely structured.
    Come on son, you're not that casual a runner.
    What you do will definitely fall into "remotely structured"   :p
    Good luck getting in though :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wool - did Mr S take it moderately easy, or was it a brutal course?
    1hr 16 for him is a good 4mins of what he's capable of?!

Limited to an 8 today, 32miles for the week, as all going well the weekend should be a 25-30mile shift, which is a comfy 60 ish mile week.

Trialled a loop involving the Jubilee path, delved into some interesting little offroad bits, which probably warrant a bit of exploring when I have more miles to play with another day.

Slightly lost all idea of what was going on when a dog that had been chasing me, but i'd given the slip to ages back, seemed to emerge in front of me a mile or so later.
    Simple explanation - different dog!
  • Believe it or not Stevie, I have mostly got by on a marathon effort tempo for years now, and haven't even been doing those for months. Plenty of hard efforts in races though. So by structure I mean, a progressive plan leading to a target race. My current approach is to build fitness, then go for it in a race when heart rate pace metrics tell me I'm in near best shape. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Time to put some McHarg style reps in doon the track then?  B)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

SG - RM will have to get on it to get down to 2.02-2.04 won't he! Good luck to him tho. Good bloke.

He certainly will, but more importantly he'll have to stay injury free.
    From chatting to him yesterday, i think he's tightroping already...

Last few years he's put himself out a few times, but i'm not surprised. The session paces he's putting in at mid 50s, mixed with his love of a beer, are a fine balancing act i'd have thought.

I mean, 27 for 200s as reps!
    Yeah long recoveries blah blah, but that's still very fast stuff
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    SG: JS told me he went off a but quick and paid for it at the end but you'll have many goop-covered hours to discuss over this weekend :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the plan to take a tonneload of shoes might well be bew-gared if only XC shoes will do...

is it worth buying another pair though...just to rotate two?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Alcohol free beer Simon?? What's that all about then?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Lovely day for a muddy double today :grimace:
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    I'm with Simon on the alcohol free stuff and try to stick to it (or nothing) Monday to Thursday nowadays. I'd pretty much agree with your rankings too Simon except I find Becks ok, just too small a bottle at 275mg. The excellent one you missed if you like ales though is Adnams' Ghost Ship alcohol free (well 0.5% technically) which tastes as good as the real version.  

Next race in the Dinton Pastures series tonight. Organisers have just posted a photo of part of the course whilst confirming it still goes ahead; should be fun  :o  

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus - try a muddy quintuple or sextuple over the weekend :)

Pete - that looks like a nice little stream. Not so nice when that's the actual route.
    So glad I didn't bottle Tuesday's 5k and plan to do tonight instead, have one of those lack of sleep/hot head type feels that just need a good sleep to see off.
  • Wool - thanks for that info - I've given you kudos for it :) I may not be travelling alone so maybe somewhere posh in Windsor will be the best option... 

Yes, I remember seeing the Dashers vest and thought he was there for the qualification... it was funny seeing the winner sprint off and put about 100m into everyone over the first quarter of a mile. One guy alongside me mused sarcastically 'I wonder who will win this?' :D
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Impressive solo TT Bus. I'll be in the Naughty Corner down Wiltshire way so hoping to get out to Henstridge Airfield or Salisbury parkruns Saturday before a fried breakfast washed down with cider :D I don't generally drink weekdays & many a weekend goes by without a drop passing my lips but once the summer kicks in I tend to get a bit carried away. I've been known to dilute my worst excesses by buying a few non-alcoholic ciders to intersperse between scrumpies. Sainsbury's do a good one made by Weston's of Stowford Press renown. Have to say the Erdinger went down well after Brighton too.
    I avoided the rain soaking/sodden towpath for a sweat-drenched TM session this morning. First one in about 2 months I reckon. On 2% incline I did 12x400m@6 min/mile off 400m easy for 12K@7:18 average including a 1M wu & 1200m cd. HR was insane again peaking at 190!!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jools. You know its a seriously shite bit of summer when the treadmill is the better option!

Slow as anything tonight - combination of mud and zero energy! Hey ho, a lovely f-off with a work "family fun" do tomorrow night :smile:

Maybe I need to get with the low/no alcohol beer programme during the week. I rarely drink to excess, but have a beer virtually every night. Ghost ship is a nice beer too.

SG - might prefer a muddy foursome over a muddy quintuple :smiley:
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Oooh beer, im more dedicated to beer than running, i had a couple of Proper Jobs after Sunday's mara  and since ive had a Hobgoblin Gold, Hobgoblin IPA, Shipyard IPA, Empire IPA and a Ringwood 49er. But i did sweat a lot !
    The gave me an alcohol free Erdinger at the finish of Brighton this year, if it wasnt so cold and windy it would have been nicer.

Wool - im in for Abo too. Hopefully ill be back to sub255 fitness by then.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Do like a Proper Job. Kicked Saturday night off with one of them - went to bed 10hrs later :D 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I had 4 pint growler of Voyager, from a local brewery, Malt, last night followed by a couple of Aldi's own brand single Islay malts. Both highly recommended! Bit much for a school night but it was my birthday 😀
  • Bus - 4 pint Growler? Not seen one of them for a while :)

Yes well I'm now at that point where I still love the taste of beer but just can't have over 4 pints without feeling a bit shit. Like Jools said, it's about mixing them in a session, say 3 of each if you are out for a while - I like that social 3 beer buzz/laugh...but after that just see the point of getting more pissed. San Miguel is my new fave after Erdinger being top for ages. Agree with Pete, Ghost ship does taste like normal beer too, unfortunately I hate hoppy beer, so it's not for me.

Quiet day today, 8 & 15 double tomorrow down at Guildford in the SAL. Forecast breezy - oh what a f**king surprise.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

4 pints + extras would have me with a hangover that would take a day to recover from! It only means I need to drink more. Happy birthday Bus!

Pete - did you run in that in the end?!

I was out in the Surrey Hills this morning. It's not muddy on the trails but they are really slippy, I guess from a shearing of the layers. So glad not to be at Endure. I nearly caved at one point. Only nearly.

TR - 2:55 will likely be my target too but it was also at VLM when I only just went under 2:59. It'll help that Abingdon is very 'tightly' measured but I better do some training. I'm planning to include the build up BAC sessions this time for a (slight) change in approach.

And finally, on the subject of ultras, this guy is my uncle and so I have respect for some feats of endurance and certainly for anyone who can run a 6:37 100km as a V40 :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hartley_(runner)

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    This is turning more like a CAMRA forum! Congrats on the birthday and celebration Bus; more than I could handle on a weeknight too ;)

So Dinton Pastures summer series race 2 last night with the course re-routed to avoid flooding (see pic above) and not too bad at all in the end. Bit windy though and some puddles on a softened surface didn't help times. Good to see AG/Reg at the start and was surprised a) he was there and b) he was only doing the 5k (but won't steal Reg's thunder; you can await his report :) ).

All the runners start together, both 5k and 10k so its a bit hard to know where you are. The course was the same at the start and being a little downhill and with the wind behind through the first k in 3'27 and think I'm about 4th or 5th.

The course then gets more twisty, goes off to areas I don't recall and is generally tougher but still a wake up call when the 2nd k reads 4'04! Was still holding my own place-wise so maybe the Garmin was playing up like it sometimes does in off road twisty areas. Anyway decide to focus harder and quite pleased to run consistently for the last 3k, if not that fast, and they are all 3'51 or 3'52 for a 19'06 finish in 5th of 240. 1st v50 again so another trophy (exactly the same as last month's one!) and well placed for the series prize. The only problem is this is a 4 race series and the final one is 1 day after the final one of the 3 race Yateley 10k series I am also trying to do (not to mention holiday plans may scupper both if my wife gets her way!).

Overall a well organised and decent night out; always good to do a local 5k and an added bonus that my younger daughter is now a teenager so allowed to run them too (she was in the top 30% last night and top 20% of females so going well for someone who runs once or twice a week:) ).      
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work Pete - very nice time given the underfoot conditions. Well done to Miss M junior too :smile:

6:37 pace for 100k is impressive for any age Wool, nevermind a V40!

It's funny, four pints of most beer in a pub, or bottles would have seen me struggling with dehydration etc this morning, but it's different with good quality, fresh proper beer without any nasty additives. Though to be fair, I am still a little fuzzy!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Good session there Bus, happy birthday.

Wool - ive done a few of those BAC sessions they can be tough with the longest being something like 24min, 6x4min, 24 min, so with wu and wd can be around 15m. You cant be doing another weekly session as well either. But they pass the time quickly. Im going to try some longer mp runs for Abo (as a change/ try something new) with 8 to 10m in a 13m commute each week. Abingdon will be a lot quicker than yeovil with 260ish ft ascent rather than 830ish.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Happy bidet Bus.

Good turnout Pete. DO you ever not get V50 at these sorts shindigs :D

Noticed a couple of prominent faces in the photos ahead of you. One of our own (no it wasn't Ric), and one who'll be rivalling my boys tomorrow...

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    SG I don't usually get a v50 prize at BP. The standard is way too hot there although the prizes aren't. (I know that as I have still had the odd pomegranate or grapefruit in my time😅). Don't often get a v50 prize at Fleet or Wokingham Halves either as always some proper national standard guys there, but hope to in the real local stuff. 

Yes two well known faces ahead. I have already mentioned Reg was there and also your friend Sankey who was a bit peeved to be only mid 18's and only 30 secs ahead of an old git like me😄. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Whoops, I managed to completely miss that mention, making it one of the worst guess who mysteries ever!
  • Wool said:

Alternatively, PMJ may have room in the Butler's quarters that weekend. Bit of a drive on the morning of the race though :-)

If it wasn't for the date there would definitely be space somewhere in the servants quarters but it is our 29th wedding anniversary on Sunday September 1st so it may be a celebration on Saturday night with Mrs J and it pays to keep her sweet. Any other date and I'd be running myself so there would be room, breakfast and a lift.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Will have a catch up in a moment, have to go back a page. Happy Birthday to Bus though.

Been really busy at work and staying up late so not done that much running lately, fitness has dropped a little too. Decided to do the Dinton 10k and run there and back. On the run there I felt pretty crappy, I actually had to run through the river that Pete posted a picture of to get to the event, By the time I got to registration I was feeling weak and my feet were sodden.

Decided I'd just do the 5k and filling the EOD form in, I thought the table was moving. Also needed to make a few toilet stops so not feeling tip top. Although the event is well organised, when it came to pay for my entry (£18 for a 5k), they had no change so it cost me £20 with the tip!

Met Pete whilst I was walking about trying to keep warm. Decided in a low key event it was still worth standing at the front and surveyed the numbers to see who was running 5k and who was in the 10k.

Took off with the leaders and pace was in the 5:20's to begin with but soon settled down and through the first mile in 5:45. Felt faster than that so I knew straight away this wasn't going to be much cop. I was surprised to have pulled up on the leader's shoulder at this pace and we ran together for the first two miles. He dropped back whenever it got hilly or twisty and soon after disappeared backwards very quickly.

Mile 2 was very slow at 5:59 but I was seemlingly clear in the lead now so just happy to make it look to everyone watching, that I wasn't trying :D
    What was quite fun was there was a lead bicycle, not quite the car with a clock but fun all the same. Mile 3 was a touch quicker at 5:50 and I finished in 17:56. It wasn't a quick course but if I'd been feeling good I think I could have run a lot faster, as this was mostly at tempo effort.

Familiar wait with Pete after to pick up a prize and then the rather comical run home with a medal in one hand and a winners trophy in the other; number still pinned on the t-shirt!

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    And here is the big race winner with some old guy who beat a few other old guys. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done chaps, there was a Windle runner came past me going really well at Yeovil sunday around 22m.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice trophies and photo chaps. Good work too Reg, particularly if you were feeling crap! Thanks by the way.

Love the idea of you running home, trophy in hand :smiley: It's been far too long since I've won anything, so may take one of the old, ridiculously big, cock and biscuits V40 trophies and go and run in my vest around High Wycombe for giggles :smiley: