Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Decent racing, Stevie. The Welsh Castles involves quite a lot of organisational work and planning and lots of challenging logistics as it is a point to point so getting people back to cars etc. It's a great event though.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - some super speedy track work there.
    DT - pretty close for some of those top places then.
    Stevie - great report and great effort to overtake and hold off the runner at the end. And on a hilly course too!
    13 easy miles this morning.

• Good run there Stevie. I used to race for Leamington C&AC so know the route well: not the best place to get a PB so if you are close it is definitely on for another time.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    I forgot to say that after hanging by a thread for a few days one of my toe-nails finally dropped off this morning. It's fun being a runner, isn't it ;)
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    DT - yes, down to Chepstow on Sunday for Speedway.

Stevie - great report as always, congrats again on the PB.
  • Handy Cross Summer 5k. Well, as much as it is supposed to be a summer series it definitely is not summer at the moment. Passing down with rain on and off for days and temperatures well down. I was up at 5:30am for the commute to London and back by 5:30pm to change and just was not feeling the love for the race.

Did a lazy warm up and started to feel a bit better.

10 minutes short of start time the race organisers said we need to move to the start. The course loops around the park where Wycombe parkrun is but uses a different start to get a wide start and more space to allow runners to settle down before the narrow parts. Seems nobody wanted to toe the lien so rather than the usual pack, everyone was stood well back. 

We were off and I'm still not feeling the love and that pretty much carried on. My frail male ego refused to let a lady I knew pass me and we pushed each other hard over the last mile and it shows in the splits: 6:28, 7:12 and 6:39. 21 seconds for the end bit so 20:42 overall. 

Overall disappointed that my mind was not in it and probably neither was my body but the first and last mile splits were OKish and I'll try and take the positives away for the coming weeks. Blood donation tomorrow so it will be a week or so cutback and see if that returns the freshness.  
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    GD that’s a mighty tough track session, not sure I could fancy it.
    Stevie that’s a great run, shame about the PB but bodes well for the summer.
    Nice toenail detail Gul.

Im in Gdańsk on holiday this week. It’s stiflingly hot and nobody seems to run, but I’ll sneak in a couple of easy plods. On the plus side my favourite beer is 70p a bottle at the supermarket. You can guess how this week will go....
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good good racing, good report writing.

Gul - we need a pic

OO - you could end up in Hel (yes it’s a place near Gdańsk.

Off to Sweden tomorrow for the big bike sportive. Gonna be hard and painful. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Poacher - enjoy  . . .  

Gul - no we don't . . . .   
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Stevie cracking race and quality report there 
    PMJ after being up at 5;30am not surprised you were not up for it ,sure sub 20 is close though on a decent day.
    0054 great racing.
    Birch making good progress again keep at it.
    GUL please don't !
    Poacher sure you will smash it 

Ground out a 10m on sunday but think the lurgy is trying to latch on and hardly no sleep yesterday after nights as firmus gas was digging my street all morn with a jack hammer for about 4 hrs! and tarmacking today again, thankfully only an hr today.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    thanks, Leslie  (so pleased my night shifts are ancient history)   
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    PMJ - hopefully you can make the next 5k in the Summer series without an early start and you'll be raring to go on the start line.
    OO - have a good holiday.
    Poacher - hope all goes well in Sweden. Are you going to be able to do any walking with Mrs Poacher?
    Leslie - how inconsiderate. Get well soon.
    Not sure if people are talking about a pic of the nail or the toe, but I'll spare you both. 18 steady miles this morning. After a bit of respite yesterday morning, the rain is back again. Nice.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Best of luck for the sportive Poacher!

Hopefully you can get the lurgy shifted soon Leslie.

Enjoy the trip OO

Nice miles Gul, I'm always amazed that you can run so long in the morning before work!

8m tempo last night, found it tough work after Sundays race so pleased for the average to be just under 6.25 and only a 5 second difference between fastest and slowest miles. 12m in total with WU/CD. Completely drenched by the time I finished and frozen by the time I had driven home!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Enjoy, OO. I have been to Poland twice, always enjoyable.

PMJ- I found last week that to get anything out of a 5k, you have to be mentally committed to deal with the discomfort.

Gul, I have only lost 1 toenail so far. My big toe is still black from London but otherwise all in place.

Leslie, I don't envy you with night shifts. My sleep is a delicate balance as it is, I think that structure would lead to full on insomnia.

Stevie, that's quite a big session so soon after a race. Don't think Lewis would do that to me!!!

I do however have a session later today of 3 x 2 miles aiming to progress from HMP to 10kp.

With the amount of rain we have had, I am not sure what shape Worcester race course will be in. It was fine yesterday, however the flooding usually occurs subsequently as the river peaks as it comes down from Shropshire.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That's a cracking tempo, Stevie.
    Gul back to amazing midweek distances, I really don't know how you do it!
    Hope the lurgy doesn't linger, Leslie.
    Good luck in Sweden, Poacher.
    I can see on Strava that OO is tourist running in Gdansk. Have a great trip, mate.

Have decided to rest from running for the rest of the week. The right adductor is still 'there' so with no real campaign pressure, I might as well have some time off to let it repair.
    Gave it a good stretch last night as well as doing some solid core work and squats which seemed to help. My wife also asked why I was being weird and walking around with 1kg weights strapped to my ankles. Impromptu evening strength exercises of course!

Surprised myself with getting up early and hitting the lido for another swim session. Knocked out another mile and it was 2 mins faster than Monday as I focused more on technique after chatting to expert colleagues and doing a bit of reading on swim technique.

The objective is to get through the September 2 miler easily and efficiently, I really don't care about time, I just want that London Classics medal.

No running tomorrow, 1. because of the rest period and 2. I'm watch Sri Lanka v Australia at The Oval in the Cricket World Cup. A good beer day, oh yes!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Stevie - stonking tempo run. I guess we're all different  when it comes to morning v. daytime or evening running. I tried running in the evening a few times and have never felt so lethargic!
    DT - we're very fortunate around here regarding flooding, probably due to a good drainage system; only seem to get the odd bit of coastal flooding and that very infrequently.
    GD - good call on taking a rest from running. Hope you've remembered to take the weights off your ankles ;) Enjoy the cricket.
    17 easy miles this morning to bring up 79 for the week. Off to Bristol tomorrow for an old school mate's pearl wedding anniversary (I'm sure PMJ remembers Martin S.?), so that should be the final total. Have a good weekend everyone. 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Wow great tempo Stevie - looks like you're in good form to continue towards the 2:45 Berlin target.

Cracking mileage Gul as usual. Don't know how you manage to keep that up and so consistently.

Also am in team toenail, though mine due to wearing shoes too small at a wedding and dancing until 4am! Hope it might fall off soon, been a few weeks...

Small track session last night, 4mi warmup, 2 x (1200, 500, 300); session was 3 sets but kept to 2 to save energy for Sunday. Bit pacey on the first 1200, but got a 1k and half mile best effort; stuck more to the 4:30 plan on the second.

Think I'm going to go for it on Sunday and try and stick to 6:15/mi pace as long as I can to maybe crack 39 and a good PB. Unlikely, but we'll see.
  • Thanks for the toenail update Gul - much appreciated (not!)

We're going to be losing you to the swimming community at this rate G-Dawg

Great 2 Castles and subsequent tempo there Stevie - you're flying at the mo.

Enjoy Gdansk OO - have they got a parkrun there? Younger Lorenzito and I did the one in Krakow when we were there a few years ago.

Knee update: after seeing the osteo on Thursday last week I wisely gave running a miss over the weekend but sneaked a couple of bike rides in, and things seemed OK so I tried to go out for a gentle run on Monday and got about 500m before I admitted defeat as it was just too painful and I was limping rather than being anywhere close to running - not good.

Went to see a different osteo (one I'd seen before) on the Monday and he applied his healing hands and advised me to take it easy for another couple of days. Went out for a gentle 4.5 miles yesterday morning and it felt about 80% but at least I was running, so I thought I'd give it an hour or so this morning. Again, not yet 100% and it still felt sore with very little push going up a hill so I'm definitely not parkrunning tomorrow but may head out on the bike. 

I am still hoping to run from home up to Clapham Common early (even by Gul's standards) on Sunday to help out at the start of the London to Brighton bike ride but I'd put my chances of making that at about 25% and I'll probably give it a miss unless I really feel as though it's got significantly better by tomorrow as I'm still hoping to do the Circle Line run on Tuesday next week and then run the Midsummer Munro the following weekend. Feeling a bit glum.  :/
  • Gul Darr said:
    I'm sure PMJ remembers Martin S.?
    Going left to right as we look at it, isn't he sixth in from the left in the second row? For others to guess, Gul and I are in different rows but next to each other.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Massive miles there Gul I don’t know how you do it successive days like that.
    Glad to hear you are back running Lorenzo it must be a big relief after the knock.
    I’ve  been plodding round Gdansk, struggling with the heat and eating too much.
     However we made it to the parkrun today, a train ride from town but a bit cooler than previous days. A nice 2 lap course with around 100 runners. 6:08, 6:05 and 5:58 were my mile times and I eased through the field from 8th to 3rd. 18:30 my official time and 83.8 WAVA.  Happy with that all things considered, but still in search for a really fast parkrun time.
    I will struggle to get more that 8-10 miles tomorrow so could be my lowest weekly total this year- c33 miles. I’ll be ready to come home Monday and start the diet- even DT noted my shabby bod 😂
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a decent time to me OO, especially if you've been piling on the pounds (I certainly have).

Bad day at Chepstow today for the summer speedway 10k, went off a little fast and just slowly dropped pace and places throughout the first half (6:02, 6:20, 6:40), ended up dropping out at 5k rather than struggling the second half. Not my day, need to get more training and more motivation.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Oh dear Nicko I know you’ll be disappointed. We all get days like that, especially painful when they come on a race day.

I ground out a 10 miler- 9:30 avg. pace which is shocking. However I did get to see some post war parts of Gdańsk- quite an eye opener.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Bad day at the office Nicko, probably best to pull out and avoid injury. Unlucky, Sir.

Good to hear you're on the mend, Lorenzo.

Nice parkrunning there OO., cracking WAVA score.

Tested out the adductor yesterday with 10 miles on the trails. Injury has almost gone but despite a few days off, my legs really don't feel in any sort of shape, bloomin' rubbish!
    Pace was 8.01 but any sort of pace injection was heavy going. 

On the plus side, I had a very good mile swim in the Lido on Friday. Improved technique chopped a couple of minutes off. Got some new tips to try on Wednesday.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nicko, shame on the dnf. I think 10k pace can seem a little mad following a mara campaign.

Lorenzo, hope the knee fixes. My right one has been playing me up on and off since April now. Never really bad, just niggling.

Nice parkrunning, OO. It was unfortunate timing on Saturday as I sat down to eat my lunch and open FB for the first time to be greeted with your topless torso.

easy 14 yesterday. Was happy just ticking along. Sun came out a few times and towards the end which made it a bit tougher.

Not a hugely heavy week planned this week as I have a sports massage Thursday night and then Friday is the rugby clubs sportsmans lunch and work have a table so it'll be an 11.30am start on the pop for me. We have Sam Warburton and Bobby Davro this year. Not an obvious pairing but should be interesting.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    nicko - sorry to hear it wasn't your day yesterday. I'm sure you'll come bouncing back.
    Lorenzo - hopefully a bit more rest will sort out your knee and you'll be back to your tube runs soon :) Did you make it to Clapham Common on Sunday?
    PMJ - thanks for the photo - scary to think it's 35 years old! And yes that is Martin.
    OO - great parkrun with a bit of progression.
    GD - hope you're back to 100% any day now.
    DT - nice easy running. Enjoy the massage and lunch.
    No running this weekend, but had a nice time in Bristol. Mrs GD lived there for a couple of years, so some nostalgia for her and then also for me meeting up with my old school chum. Nice to get out for a run in dry weather this morning. 15 miles with some "hill" sprints thrown in for good measure.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Glad your swimming goes well GDawg. Have you tried the pull buoy yet, made a massive difference for me. I’m home now and will be back in the pool tomorrow.
    I’ve gained 2 kilos, so a heavy week planned before the Masters Champs on Saturday.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - I'm sure you'll soon shed those extra few pounds. What distance are you racing at the Masters Champs?
    17 easy/steady miles this morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’m doing 800, 1500 and 5000 all on Saturday Gul, it’s the North East Masters Champs. Another long run there, I hope you got good weather.
    Back to the pool today for a 2 mile swim. It’s taking me about 35 mins per mile GD and a mixture of breast stroke and front crawl. This excludes the rest time between efforts. I’ll  also have a run this evening but just 6-8 miles.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That's a mighty impressive swim time for a mile OO
    I was in the pool at 06.30 this morning and had a corker. Got some great tips from a work colleague on technique and today bashed out my mile in 38 mins, that's a 6 minute improvement on last week when I started. Even did a few bonus lengths at the end to drill home the new "catch and pull", apparently!

Track session at the club last night. 5k TT was on the menu. Legs were not feeling the love. Did a 2 mile variable pace warm-up and I knew my tight hammies were not in race mode.
    I wanted a low 18 minute score but could only manage an 18.59.

Only my second sub-19 but whilst I'm searching for positives, I know I can go much closer to sub-18.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - weather was okay yesterday morning, then it rained at night and dry again this morning, so can't complain. Sounds like a tough but enjoyable day for you on Saturday. Not sure I've even swam a whole mile, but I'm sure it would take me quite a bit longer than 35 mins.
    GD - good improvement on the swimming. Nice 5k and I'm sure you'll improve on the time.
    15 easy miles this morning.