Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Summer League 5 Miler

The week hadn't been shaping up as originally envisaged. The first of two races imagined in glorious summer weather (pfffft!) had already bitten the dust, not because of the weather, though in the end I was quite glad not to be trying to hit middle distance paces in about 8C, pouring rain and strong winds. 

Did mean that the legs would be fresher for tonight's 5m race, though the weather was equally wet, perhaps more so, though slightly warmer and, perhaps crucially, certainly less windy.

Didn't fill myself with confidence when I had a check on the scales this morning, and realised I'm 5-6 lbs heavier than when I was racing at my best 4 years ago. Nevertheless, I hadn't had a proper PB at any distance since then, and knew I was probably in the best shape I've been since, at least to have a crack at this distance after some decent mileage over the winter, a good block of tempo running, some recent VO2 max reps plus a touch of sharpening anaerobic middle distance pace along with a few racing efforts to harden up the legs and prepare for a visit to the hurt locker.

The weather and weight would be excuses if I wanted them, but I'd no intention of using them - if I failed, it would be because I'd tried and failed tonight, not because I backed off.

In true SG style, parking was a bit of a pain in the posterior, as the Watersports Centre's owners have decided they're going to start charging folk to park for this race, and even with over half an hour to the start there was a resulting long queue that ultimately ended up delaying the start...a*seholes. Fook this...I nipped down the outside of the queue, and parked up instead at one of the smaller car parks for one of the smaller lakes further down the lane - wouldn't do any harm to add naturally to the warm up and cool down, and I probably wouldn't get much of the former if I sat in that queue.

After a quick chat with Tommy and a few others having to stand around getting soaked for the 'pleasure' of marshaling, I then got a more serious warm up with a clubmate who was chasing a sub-30...nothing like that for me, but 31:08 to beat.

The misty light drizzle was turning into an ever heavier downpour by the time we lined up at the start, and the delay as we got damp and cold not welcome at all. A chance to talk cr*p with a few familiar faces though, which passes the time.

Finally, with no warning at all, we're off - catching almost everyone off guard. The plan is to get a similar first mile in to that at Beeston last month (6:09), maintain something close to that through miles 2 and 3, hope the race miles and extra 3 weeks training make it possible to dig in as it starts to hurt in mile 4, and then having got to the final mile under 25:00, chuck the kitchen sink at it in the run in down the lake. 

• Options
    After the usual chaotic stampede, I settle it down and get on to target pace. Take a look around me, and I'm definitely a notch up the field compared to the last race I tempoed a couple of weeks ago...20 seconds/mile faster so to be expected. As the optimistic starters fade way, I reckon there's a good group around me to pace off here, and a gaggle ahead who I should be able to shelter behind as we turn into the breeze down the other side of the lake. Amongst them is my neighbour who although we're well matched up to 5k, I've only ever beaten on the track, and have never been close to in a 5 miler or longer. There's also our new club captain, PB of sub-30, but chasing sub-31 tonight so I had warned him I might use him as bit of a marker. 

6:06 for the first mile, and feeling good as we turn at the top of the lake. Requires a bit more effort into the breeze, but I push on past the small group I'm with including the first lady from Beeston last month, and steadily catch the 'gaggle' I'm hoping will shelter me. Tuck in directly behind the skipper, and after a quick glance to confirm I'm still approximately on pace, try to switch off for a bit and just concentrate on not losing touch. 

6:10 for mile two, all good. The group is beginning to splinter a little though, and first check of pace in mile 3 sees 6:20+ on the watch, so push on to the skipper's shoulder so he's aware I'm there, and we exchange acknowledgement. It has the desired effect, and he picks up a little, so we're soon plodding back along around 6:15 as we approach the short climb away from the lake, and the trickiest surface of the race, made all the tricker by some huge puddles (small lakes!) in what is now an outright downpour.

Splish-splash...'mind that pothole!' a voice calls out...ooyah fecker, 'keep left!'...too late. Bit of a slide on the greasy surface beneath and two trainers weighed down heavily by their drenching later, I'm relieved to still be upright and get back to it. The breeze is nothing really, but I'm glad we're about to have it behind us as we turn back on to the lane...the interminable drag along the lane that I know from previous years, just goes on forever and ever. 

6:22 for mile three though, so through 3 miles in about 18:38 and 5 seconds up on Beeston, but there's no more room to be p*ssing about. Come on, lift it. Nudge again on to the skipper's shoulder and once more he responds. Notice that my neighbour is also just up ahead, and is coming back to us...hmmm...this would be a nice scalp. Follow the skipper past him, offering some encouragement as we go, to which he initially responds. We sit in a little group with a couple more ahead, and a couple behind, and it is beginning to bite but I reflect there's more in me than at Beeston, and if I'm being honest more in me than this. 

Take a look at the watch...6:18 pace...ok, we're fading and this is getting a bit tight. F*ck it, let's pick it up, I'm not going to die wondering. No nudge on to the skipper's shoulder this time, it's a proper move to catch those in front. I hope he responds, but don't think he does...6:16 for mile 4 as we make the final major turn back towards the lake. Just under 25:00 as hoped at this stage, but I'm going to have to run hard and well from here. More pothole warnings as we splash through some huge puddles on another tricky surface, particularly either side of some very unwelcome speed bumps...b*stard weather...come on.

I'm catching a group of 3 in front of me, but have to dig in hard up a short incline to stay within touching distance before we descend back down the other side on to the lake. It's going to be breezy along here, tuck in, no heroics yet. Check the pace...6:10...damn this is close, dig in...4 years.

Pass one of the group, a Sutton Harrier, and pull alongside a young Worksop lad with a Mansfield runner outside him. Only realise now the younger fella has been with us almost throughout, and we exchange encouragement. 6:08...keep building it. Half a mile to go, but when to 'go'...? 

6:06...still building...I might just do this. Where's that noisy breathing coming from though? Oh, it's me this time...does my head in when it's someone else...ha, at least I know this is a genuinely honest effort. 6:03...right, this is on, and we should be into the last 0.3m but there's always GPS inaccuracies to cover for. Back on to the Worksop lad's shoulder, and with uncanny synchronisation, we both say, 'let's go'. The Mansfield guy comes with us too, and it's an exquisitely painful 2 minute dive for the line. 'You looked like you were enjoying that,' jokes Tommy later having passed him giving us a shout on the final run in.

I'm not sure where that little group of 3 ended up, but think I was probably the meat in the sandwich between Worksop lad, and Mansfield man, but frankly it doesn't matter...that was just what I needed. Over the line, and stop the watch...

...30:57! 

G..E..T....I..N..!

Might get revised down slightly from that of course, but bang on 6:00 for that 5th mile, and it's not going to get revised down by over 10 seconds, so finally, finally, finally, after almost 4 long years...a PB!

:) 
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Nicely done, Bob! As I said last night, a well executed race in not ideal conditions and a decent couple of scalps to go with it. Great to see you back amongst the PB's (and just managing to sneak into the vet B team).

Yeah currently Oli and Colin are ahead of me in the fell champs at the moment. I know one or both of them are missing for the next couple of races so I could be with in a shot depending on their commitments later in the year...

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, Bob, in dreadful conditions.  Looking forward to reading about more pbs soon!  Also gives me some hope that a racing return is possible.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done on Edinburgh, Madbee. See you in London (I mean that literally as everytime we are in the same race so far we somehow see each other).

Mcf, i'm about 5lb up on my London weight now, not critical but I am missing out on some free speed I think. Well done though, it's a tough race and more so as I have now learn't all about the menstrual cycle and its impact on performance.

Well done on the fell racing, Tommy. I think my body would fall apart!

David, my pre race session is 48 hours from a race and is usually 3-4m easy then 6 x 30s strides at 5kp or a bit faster if I am doing a 10k, then a short cool down of 0.5-1m.

Skinny, hope the barefoot guy went well? I like the idea of Muddy receiving a commemorative pen for his efforts.

Bob- Great racing and nice to see you back on the pb trail. Hopefully that will drive you further on! It was a stinking night as well which can't have helped.

Ticked over this week with easy/recovery miles. Session today of 3 x 2 miles, progressing from hmp to 10kp.

• Options
    Great write-up Bob and nicely done.  Well done on the PB.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    PB!!!! Well done Bob!
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
     B) Well done, Bob!  gives me hope I may yet see a PB again....one day!  Viscerally engaging write up as always.

Down a pound today, which looking at MFP suggests the lightest in over a year...although still 12 pounds over top form weight.  Correct direction anyway!

DT - glad to educate.  It's a real issue for female runners, and annoying.  I think one of the reasons I raced consistently pretty well after i had the youngest was because I breastfed for over 2 years I also didn't menstruate (lucky girl).   No cycle to factor in. 

Are you looking to shift that 5lbs or do you find it naturally drops off when training harder?  Unfortunately I have an extremely accurate feedback mechanism and my body just instructs me to eat more as the mileage goes up and I have a tendency to overcompensate! Having to be a bit stricter than I like.  

Tommy - nothing you tell me about fell racing makes me want to sign up.  Maybe the views at the top!  

I spectated at an extremely torrential Sphinx 5 last night.  I felt bad for not running but I thought three races in 8 days would be pushing it for me and we had plenty of ladies out (think we got 2nd team, 1st masters team).  Really enjoyed a good shout though and don't think I would have counted in any case so good decision.  I went for the full waterproof trousers, jacket, wellies and umbrella combo though and still came away a bit soggy so well done to anyone racing in it.    

Anyone else in the Midlands crew doing Arden at the weekend?  See you there if so.  

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Nearly forgot.  As not racing I did a rep session yesterday - 10 x 400m and my hamstrings are not happy with me today!  
  • Options
    It's not just wet it's cold, 8 degrees here and feels colder - barefoot guy was good and well done on PB Bob - as I was off yesterday I'm a bit pushed for time but will give more details later or tomorrow.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I am very excited to hear the details, and am glad to hear that it was good Skinny (even though it would potentially be more amusing if shit) since it was a 'recommendation' from me. However, apart from the bonkersness I later learnt that he also teaches my girlfriend's parents Alexander Technique, which does add some credibility.

It's sodding freezing here and I am hoping my dog's new raincoat arrives today because (he doesn't know this yet) I have signed us up to marshal at the Sandy Slither, a race along the Fife Coastal Path from Lower Largo to Elie. The weather forecast was somewhat more promising when I volunteered.

My best running form coincided with my not having any periods for 8 months, though this is NOT recommended (and I was not underweight).
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Mcf, I work slightly differently in that I have a pattern of what I eat when everyday. This occurs whether training hard or not, therefore full training and some minor tweaks is usually enough to do the job.

One thing that happens when not in full training is that I drink more as I am not thinking that I need to be fresh for a big session or run and/or very tired from a big session or run. When I drink I invariably eat out or if at home will think nothing of eating crisps at 10pm. So the whole cycle of being back in full training should address matters.

I was disappointed to have to go back into my winter running kit summer storage drawer this week and pull out a long sleeved top.

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Bob great to get a pb, well done, McFlooze  I like the shorter reps :) but recoveries come around too quick.

7mls last night with my wife, she ran almost all the way pain free and at a good pace, plenty of stretching/strengthening hopefully this could be a turning point for her. 14mls tomorrow so fingers crossed.

• Options
    McFlooze - my hamstrings were the same after my 10x400 on Tuesday.  Calves were also feeling tight.  I'm now trying to get into the habit of stretching both sets of muscles on the bed before going to sleep with one of those stretchy black bands (much to my wife's amusement).  It does make a difference.

Sounds positive Kevin.  Keep up with the strengthening/stretching routine.

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    I've loosened up with a 4 mile recovery run and a bit of stretching at lunchtime.  

Good news with the wife, Kevin.  

I'm not even going to comment about the use of stretchy black things tickling your wife in the bedroom, David.  
  • Options
    Cheers all.

Pete, McF - yes, certainly had my doubts over the last few years, but there you go, it can be done. Consistent consistency (eventually in my case) the key as Alehouse would wisely advise.  

Tough looking session, DT. Very consistent HR - was that the plan...run to HR?

Glad barefoot man was good, Skinny - look forward to the details.

Alexander Technique - had to look that up, Lit - but sounds like something I'd benefit from. Jackie was always scathing about my posture! 

Good news, Kevin - enjoy the 14m.

Tight hammies here too, but the lunchtime recovery also had the desired effect.

Tommy - yep, snuck into the Vets B team as you say, and as per our exchange earlier, purely thanks to a ludicrous change of rules meaning that 35 year-olds now count as 'Veterans' in this series. Teams of 5, and 5 of our 9 Vets ahead of me are either 35 or 36 Tommy tells me. In fact, only 3 of them are over 40, and I was the first of our V45+ runners home.

To put some context on this I had a look back at the last race, and by my reckoning only 15 of the first 50 runners were Seniors with the new rule! Not really that fussed personally, as Summer League is never going to be my focus, though it would be nice to have a chance of making the Vets A team for those of us now well past 40! Think I may canvas opinions from Tommy and others, including our club captain when we're all out on the lash tomorrow night, on whether to put something together highlighting to the AAA just how nonsensical this change is.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Bob, no plan was to run first set at hmp then move on to 10kp. First 2 miles came in on plan at high 6.20s but it felt like hard work. However when mile 3 came in at 6.14 and felt much better i thought i was on it but then i crashed in next mile and last pair were horrible. I seem to have gone full circle back to racing better than i train. Though i may have had Sundays race still in me. 

Interestingly our local 10k  has a v35 age cat. i came 6th in this years race and 5th in cat. I think i was 1 of 2 over 40. 
  • Options
    Definitely opened myself up for that one didn't I...?

Ahead of the 10k on Sunday I'm unsure whether or not to train both today and tomorrow with some strides thrown in.  I am feeling a little tired at the moment.  The week so far has been:

M 5m progression
    T 10x400m @ 5kp 
    W rest
    T 5 easy

20 miles total mileage so far.  I am tempted to rest today and then go out tomorrow for a 5k and chuck in some strides.  What do people think?

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Bob - I'd save your breath if I were you! I won't bore everyone else on here with the details but essentially Notts AAA didn't want to change it but felt compelled to when the UKA rulebook was quoted to them by two officious members of our club (no prizes for guessing who). As the competition is ran by a county association rather than a private organisation they felt like they didn't have much choice but to fall in with UKA guidance.

They have tried to address the issue a little bit by moving from 6 senior men and 4 vets to 5 and 5. It has really irritated a lot of people inc the current men's captain and the former men's captain (who will basically have to wait 15 years before being the youngest in his age category). Unsurprisingly the pair who suggested these changes have recently moved or imminently about to move into a new category....

I've had loads of conversations about this with numerous people which I'll bore you with,   I can't make it tonight unfortunately so will have to be another time!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening! Saw Bob mentioned me so I thought I would pop in on yet another cold and wet miserable evening in the north-west. Well done Bob: great report, not least from a parking point of view. And well done on the PB. Can't take credit for the "consistent consistency" comment (think it stems from Frank Horwill but can't be sure now); I now talk of progressive consistent consistency"!

Also interested to hear from Skinny re his barefoot appointment, and in general terms re the return to running following recommending that he saw one of my Mancunian acquaintances. All sounds like good progress Skinny: don't rush things...be progressively consistently consistent, both with the running and whatever exercises/cross training you have been prescribed.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Yes David, rest today, very easy with strides tomorrow.

I'm well under my average mileage so happy to run an easy 4m with strides tomorrow after today's 4m easy ahead of Sunday's race. I didn't do anything speedy other than strides this week as still in recovery window from Hull.

Congratulations on the pb Bob ! Great work on a rubbish night.
  • Options
    Gosh, I’m going to follow up my own post here, but I have a pb to report ! 34.26 in the Speedway 10k this morning.

Not quite sure where it came from, as it was muggy and parts of the route were into a warm breeze coming off the Severn estuary. I committed to speed from the start. 2 mile warm up with strides came out sub 7 min miling, then some frantic arse wiping with 3 minutes to race start, and a sprint to the start had me revved up and ready to go.

1st mile came up 5.19. Oh lordy ! I’d better sit off that or I’ll be in trouble in no time at all. 2nd mile 5.25 shit-a-bloody-brick. Sit off you lunatic ! But the effort feels not too bad says my optimistic voice. 3rd mile 5:34. Blimey, feeling on the edge now. Through 5k in 16.55. A pb! This is madness, I’m going to run into a brick wall now. 4th mile 5.34. What !? Get to 8k !!! Get to 8k !!! 5th mile 5.38. That’s it, pb in the bag! What a bloody relief, I can totally manage this now, no stress. Relax, keep the form, no need to blow a gasket. 6th mile 5.42 and 5.30s for the 0.2.

5th v40 (no 5 year categories) - very pleased to be hitting this sort of speed in the summer and with turning 49 on Tuesday.
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Stunning 10k running, muddy!  Huge congratulations.  High five, fist bump and big sweaty hug emojis needed :smiley:
  • Options
    Bloody hell, Muddy! Knew you'd got a break through performance in you at the right race on the right day, but that's a shellacking of an already impressive PB. Quick look on Po10 tells me that should put you comfortably inside the top 50 in your age group for 10k, and should you repeat it next year - top 10 of the V50s! Awesome stuff.

Hi Alehouse. Yes, funnily enough I nearly added 'progressive' to the consistent consistency as seemed to recall that advice too. Certainly how I've approached it with the mileage on the build up, and then progressing through the length and intensity of the sessions, cribbing also off Lydiard which did the job nicely in 2015. The Lydiard approach is very much based on trying to set yourself up to peak at a specific time, and the two things together do seem to work...if you can get it right. Does make it difficult to race really well outside of that peaking window though which will probably be August for me this year.

DT - as I saw you post elsewhere, racing better than training is certainly the preferable way round.

Hope your 10k went well today, David.

Tommy - yes, look forward to chewing the cud on this one over a pint some other time! Shame you couldn't make it on Friday, was a cracking evening. Finally rolled in at 3am as the fingers of dawn crawled over the horizon. Amusing moment right at the end as we were dancing in Coco Tang. Lass chasses very obviously into my eye line, leaning into ask if I had a girlfriend or (crucially as was about to become clear) boyfriend. I reply, well no, but I am married actually. To a woman she asks? Yes, a woman but otherwise she's very lovely. Oh, she exclaims, I'm not asking for me, I'm asking for him and points at a bloke dancing with another girl a few yards away!  :D

Any road... The late finish probably didn't help yesterday's session which I went to the track for, and was planned at 6 x 800m at 2:55s or approx 5:50/m. First two came in nicely, and a little under target despite a nagging breeze, but the bigger killer than the late night was an almighty squall that then blew in, and made the back straight utterly hideous, driving pouring rain into the eyes. The next 3 I just had to run on effort, coming in a second or so either side of 3:00, and couldn't face finishing the session into it again, so cut the final rep short at 600m in 2:12. Average pace of 5:57/m which is a bit disappointing, but given all the context including being less than 70 hours after Wednesday's 5m PB, I probably ought to cut myself a bit of slack.

Today's 'long' run was a real slogfest after another boozy night at friends' last night, that ultimately turned into another 3am job as it seemed a good idea to sit up and watch the golf when we got back.  :/

Much needed rest day tomorrow, and in fact just one more short run with strides before Wednesday night's club track champs where I'll be doing an 800/1500 double. Looking forward to that. 

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muddy, excellent work on the pb. On RB rankings that has you in top 50 in the v45 cats this year.

some good running, Bob, in amongst the boozing. I tend to be able to function the next day of I stop by circa midnight. When I start venturing into the small hours the next day becomes a total right off.

David, how did the race go? Skinny will be keen to update the TTT with Muddy's new pb.

A fairly reduced week this week coming, following a pleasant enough 14 yesterday. The racecourse here is completely under water so that is off limits probably all of this week, plus I have a sports massage on Thursday.

I have been struggling with a niggle/problem since March. It was barely noticeable until post mara and it won't clear. Essentially I ma getting very sore from any level of proper running effort across what seems like my very lower abs and into groin/adductors. It looks to be a hip flexor issue as they come all the way across. It's sort of there like a nagging toothache all the time and it is pulling me down a bit so need to get it sorted.

• Options
    Bob - sounds like a decent session given the quantity of mileage.  Today is the start of a new week :smile:

Superb racing Muddy and congrats on the PB.  I wish my own race had been as successful.

The Victoria Park 10k is around a 20min drive from me.  I had no idea what the traffic would be like and didn't want to rely on a google maps estimate so I set off in good time.  I parked the car and had a little jog to the park whereby I promptly used the portaloos (those things are actually quite comfortable and the toilet paper was off acceptable quality).  I collected my race number (6669!) and had another jog back to the car to get rid of my ID.  As I made my way back to the park my legs felt unusually tired.  This 10k was going to hurt and I just knew it.

After a little bit of stretching we found ourselves on the start line getting absolutely drenched.  It wasn't awful and I don't mind the rain usually but the combination of leaves on the path and the rain made for a precarious start.  Off we went.   3 laps of the park plus the start/finish straight.  

The plan was to come in under 6:30m/mi and then go for it down the final straight to dip just under 40min.  In the back of my mind I knew this was a bit of a stretch goal given how training had been going and how I was feeling on the day.  I think I grabbed hold of those negative feelings and took them all around the park with me!

6:22 for the first mile.  I felt OK and my breathing was fine.  The path around the route is nice and wide and so getting around others wasn't an issue.  I had a word with myself to make sure I started further up next time to save myself the hassle in future races.

6:24 and 6:31 for miles 2 and 3.  Still on target albeit just, only now my legs are feeling rubbish and form starts to disappear.  My breathing is still fine and I'm feeling strong lungs-wise but I know this is going to now become a real effort.  Mile 4 in 6:42.  Bugger. Maybe, just maybe I could bring this back with a surge at the end.  Though it'll be a close one.  I can feel things slipping away.

Mile 5 clocked in at 6:54 (b0llocks to it).  Now it was just a case of holding on and not completely folding.  The marshals did a great job of cheering and were very animated and this helped a little.  Mile 6 came in at 6:45 and the bits were 6:36.  This suggests that I didn't completely bonk perhaps.

I watched the clock tick just over 41 minutes as I crossed the line.  

Interestingly my race result doesn't seem to have been uploaded to their results page (http://racetecresults.com/Results.aspx?CId=16586&RId=388).  Not entirely sure why that's happened but I've pinged them an email.  There are definitely photos of me coming over the finish line looking absolutely shagged though so I know it wasn't all a dream.

I'm happy with the result given how I felt on the day and if anything it's just another training session.  

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Sometimes things just aren't on, David.  that's a decent time though and good training as you say.

Muddy - I have already congratulated you elsewhere but that really is phenomenal.

Arden 9 yesterday did not go to plan.  After a disappointing race at the Two Castles last week and a fairly easy week I thought today would be ok.  Having run a 7:11 average at my last ten miler a month ago I thought a similar pace, if not slightly faster should be achievable for a 9 miler.  Well, it wasn't.  Same issue as at Two Castles.  My breathing went ragged and legs felt like lead two miles in.  I would have DNFed if I wasn't fairly convinced that I'd probably be a counter for the masters team in the league, eve if poor.  Bit of a struggle-fest to the end and came in at 1:07:27.  About 7 minutes slower than last time I did that race and only just beating the time I put in when I first did it in 2013.  Came out 20 seconds slower per mile than that last ten miler.  

I'm wondering whether I need to get back on the iron tablets, something feels a bit off.  My training plan morphs into the next phase this week which emphasises more interval pace over reps which should probably help things along.  I've got Leam half in a couple of weeks but that's more for fun really - goes almost past our house and has a nice elephant medal!  But then nothing major until Northbrook in mid-July.  
  • Options
    Hard luck McFlooze.  On a related note, I am thinking about buying a private blood test from medichecks.com.  I'd be interested to see what my feratin and iron levels are like. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Unlucky, David. Decent marker laid down though to progress from.

Mcf that is exactly how I have been feeling in training. The ragged breathing and heavy legs. I've questioned whether I am slightly viral perhaps. I cannot see iron being an issue as think I get plenty in my diet.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Well done Muddy! I find 10k the hardest distance to run well so I always think a PB at that distance is particularly impressive.

Sorry to hear that McF. However, why did no-one tell me about the elephant medal?! I need to do that race next year.

DT - iron is notoriously hard for your body to absorb from food so if you're already too low on it, you often can't get enough from your diet to make any real difference. Even on high strength supplements I didn't see much difference until I started really assiduously taking them at the same time as vitamin C and totally separate from food (especially containing calcium).