Sub 3

Comments

• So you've broken your streak of sub 3s then OuchOuch?  ;) Sounds like a nice day out.

How did your 5k go Wardi?

Come on TR, join us in London, you know you want to!

That was a lot of racing Padams - is that it for a while?

It  might be telling you that your training is geared towards the longer stuff Charlie?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Padams - your recent racing probably caught up with up you a bit. I was trying to work out if i vould do NF10 on a sunday and then a 10k on the wednesday after, and came to rhe conclusion id struggle in the 10k.

CW - you're a 26m + long run man, running 5k on a track is slways going to be a shock. If you want to run fast round a track then you need to practice running fast round a track.

LMH - i will get a vlm place just in case brighton is windy.

10m today, back on the commutes this week. Bit of a shock running late in the day again after a few weeks without doing it.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    LMH - You know trail marathons don't count!  :)
    TR - Your back at it quickly post-Yeovil, you must be feeling good. 
    CW - I don't think you've peaked and in decline, a far longer sampling period is needed. My WAVA has improved from just around 75 to nearly 87 in the past 3 years and I've never been as fast as you.  
    Padams - that's an interesting and speedy weekends running. 
    The chap who I ran with has been in touch, our little diversion added 800 metres climbing to an already 1900 metres and I reckon probably nearly 3k. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - blimey, 3k extra is a bit of a "tag on". Legs are good, got a bit tired at the end of ydays 10, but no soreness. Got a few shorter races as a means to change things up in  couple of weeks, then abo training later in July. Didnt dig myself into any holes at yeovil as i expected the later stages to get tough/hilly, that exra little loop late on went up the steepest bit of the route for a 3rd time ! How are your legs?
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, fair cop that I'm pretty much untrained for the faster stuff. But remember my marathon time has suddenly gained about 5 mins, too...
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Charlie.. I find that it takes about 3-4 visits to Parkrun to get my legs used to 5k effort.  Otherwise it comes as a bit of a shock!
    Good powers of recovery TR, I always reckon we recover better after a 'nailed' marathon than a disappointing one.
    LMH.. the 5k charity run (funds for men's cancer treatment and awareness), they had over 500 entries this year compared to 200 when they started 10 years ago so a success overall.  I was bit heavy legged in truth so averaged about 7mm, scenic riverside course and had a cuppa and a sausage roll in the street party finish area.  Brown sauce of course :).  Added a few miles on after that.
    5k easy this morning, 5m club race tonight.  2.5m w/u run to the start.  Light winds forecast!
    Padams.. I'd wager you don't get lapped very often!  Just over 16 mins is still a decent effort on tired legs.
  • Always brown sauce Wardi! Hope you have a good race tonight.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CW - well you have a better chance of improving yr marathon times than yr 5k racing i guess.

Wardi, LMH - brown sauce ? You mean Daddies sauce ? I dont mind that, but im not much into sausage rolls, or pies etc

5m easy peasy pace.
  • That's the one TR.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    OO - 800m of climbing in 3k of distance? We're you using ropes? Either way, that's a lot to add onto an already tough marathon.

LMH - yes, that's it for racing for a while. Got a golf trip Sunday-Wednesday, then back for 9 days before a family holiday to Cornwall. So hopefully I can maintain some training but no racing. I may do the JP Morgan corporate thing on 3 July, but that might be scuppered by work.

6M yesterday and 6M just now - legs actually feel OK running, but when walking I've got one very sore achilles and one very sore arch of foot (different legs).
  • Had a nice read through, good stuff all!

Padams - my other two were at St. Albans Saturday - the missus was one of the track timekeepers :) Good time in the 5k on tired legs. Heard about JM's exploits when she got back, ridiculous stuff. I was down at Guildford, did the 800/1500/4x400 combo in 2.08/4.13/60, so not too bad.

Any news on your prize. Folk generally are getting a bit sick of the lack of prizes in a lot of these well attended races...was this a company or a club organising it?

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Padams - I think the maths goes, ran 1.5 miles off-course broadly parallel to the proper route which went uphill whilst we went down 200 metres into Lynton.  We  had to double back, before finding a steep path which went back the way we came to rejoin the route another good 10 minutes of power-walking   At mile 21 we were looking good for a 4.45 finish, but more Exmoor was the bonus.   As not taking it too seriously, enjoyed the detour.  Where in Cornwall, I might be able to suggest some routes?
    TR - Just back from a 4m shake-out, legs feel good apart from some DOMs in the quads.  Legs feel much better than after a road marathon.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    SC2 - some decent times there, particularly the 1500m, very nice. No, nothing on the prize, I suspect there won't be one. It was organised by the council, so a very big race (>6,000) but mainly people doing it for charity, doing a HM for the first time etc. Hence why I was able to win it! Still, you'd think when they've taken in about £200k they could spend a few hundred £ on the prizes.

OO - we're staying near St Austell, a couple of miles from the coast as far as I can tell. I don't know the area at all so any suggested routes would be great! There's a parkrun at the Eden Project, so may try to get to that, although it's the first morning we're there so not ideal timing.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Padams - poor that re no prizes.

OO - did you run down to Lynton andcthen have to come back up ? You should have used water railway up the cliff. Did you run along the little toll road by valley of the rocks too?
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Padams Get the whole family to do Eden Project parkrun then you all get in free :) It's not a fast course IMO as although net DH as starts at the top & finishes at the bottom it's 2.5 twisty, lumpy laps IIRC
    Decent marafun that OO.
    Double day again for me today with 7.5M this am & 6.8M w a bit of progression after work. Biggest day since supporting Newport marathon at the beginning of May. HR still too high for pace but better than last week.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Jooligan - I did wonder about entry in Eden Project. Does that mean we just need to turn up and can stay in there all day for free (including spectators)? That would save us a decent chunk of money. If that's true, not sure why more people don't do it!

Nice training BTW, good to see you getting back into it.
  • Padams - the thing is, I'm sure none of the other runners would object to the winners getting £10-£50 each tbh. The charity line is one they always drag out, be nice to ask them for the accounts to check that it all does go there!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    In my experience some runs are pure charity fundraisers whilst others use that as an excuse to get a cheaper licence, secure favourable conditions from landowners etc without donating what I would consider a significant amount Simon.
    Padams: not sure about spectators however nothing to stop the rest of your family starting the run then stopping once they reach the bottom of the hill - no-one's going to check your barcode beforehand. The finish is down the bottom by the domes. Once you're in you can stay as long as you want :) I had a thoroughly enjoyable morning there last summer.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Padams - the ching, ching of saved wonga. From the Eden Parkrun web:  The event is free, but participants should register through the parkrun website and print off a barcode in order to receive their personal time by text, email and through the parkrun website. Friends and family of runners get free entry to Eden for the morning.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Fountains Abbey up here (Ripon area) is generally agreed to be one of the prettiest Parkruns in the country.  The grounds officially open at 10am so Parkrun can be done & dusted by the time it opens to the public.  One of the RD's up there told me that they suspect a number of folk have signed up to Parkrun just to get free entry to the grounds and hang around.
    The same applies to Rother Valley Parkrun near Sheffield - another pretty 1 lap run around a couple of lakes.  Parking/entry is usually £5 but a Parkrun barcode gets you in for £1 before 9am.  

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Awesome, thanks all. I can understand places where you save a few £ such as Wardi's examples, but this could potentially be close to £100, which seems a bit ridiculous. Obviously I'm not going to complain if it works though!

OO - I was looking on the parkrun website and it doesn't mention the free entry interestingly. It only says it on the Eden Project website. If anything you'd have thought it would be the other way around!
  • Yeovil is a charity fundraiser too and my prize was a book donated by the author which to be fair was better than last years bottle of awful low alcohol red wine.

Sorry to hear that you still aren't 100% Jooligan.

Sounds as though you have no option but to do the parkrun Padams.  :)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    When i was a bit of a fitness dude more than a runner, i used to run the Marwell zoo 10k, enter my nippers in the nippers fun run and we got to stay in the zoo all day by showing our race numbers to get in. Saved a chunk of money.

10m last night, 10m thus morning, was going to do 5 thus morning but it was a nice (and non rainy) morning so i went round the lanes and took the longer route.

I have a long day in Blackheath Sunday, (plus a 2hr drive either end) for a county dev squad 50 over game, I'll pack my trainers and have a run through the start line for old times sake.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Howdi All,

Nice and quiet on the running fronmt, but alas not the work front. Might try and get something done to have something to write about soon.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - agreed, get a few fixtures on the list to get the fires glowing.

5m easy with a few strides to try to ease my legs into getting ready for next Sundays 10k  wasnt helped by some squats, lunges, deadlifts last night making the run feel like an arse kicking. Longish run planned for the morning too.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Loving those money savings tips. Only been to Eden once but will consider the parkrun during our summer hols down south in August. Top stuff. 

Feeling better this week and enjoying not getting pissed wet through with some nicer weather ahead. 

Ticking along at the moment with nothing on the agenda but miles and some shorter efforts to keeping ticking over. Also starting mid July for autumn 12 week campaign. I guess just repeat last one but maybe slightly quicker? 

• Hope your work settles down Mennania.

I think I could do with something in the diary TR but I haven't managed to find anything that fits with domestics. I feel as if I could probably have a crack at a 10k or HM next weekend or the one after but I'll never know. Which 10k are you doing?

sj - the same but the same speed or possibly slower for my next campaign though I'll hopefully be able to manage a few more miles. I can't remember was it York you went for?
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Yes York LMH. Have adapted a P&D schedule, which will get adapted as the weeks progress anyway. Basically what I did last time but maybe try and eek a few more miles out if I can as that seems to be the limiting factor, for me at least. .

Interesting that you mention possibly slower, if I can find another 12 seconds per mile I'll be a very happy boy indeed. Instinctively you would think more speed was required to achieve this, are you suggesting the cumulative campaigns rather than more speed naturally achieve this?

I have penciled in Vale of York as my HM and Southport 10k as support races. Absolutely destroyed my 10k PB during last campaign but not so much the half. Still a good 5 mins off my best half time but that was 10 years ago now :( 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    TR - you definitely seem to have got back to it quickly, bodes well that 2.58 on a rolling course didn't take too much out of you.

SJ - Interesting that you go for a 12 week plan, I usually favour a 16 week but I'll be doing 14 as Berlin focus starts Monday. 

Ran my first ever 10000m track race on Thursday, ended up with 36.55 which is 49 seconds faster then my road PB. Was on for 36.40 at 3k but had to run the rest of the race solo. Definitely think I can better that but not sure I can find another 10k before Berlin
  • It has for me sj, more miles and less downtime so I'm never building from as low a base is what has made me faster. I'm hoping to do Vale of York too.

Nice PB Stevie.