Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, good news on the continuous improvement!

Keith, oh no, my shoulder issue seems to be rubbing off on you as well as Cal!  Hopefully the Docs goes well.  I ran quite a lot with Clive (and Martin) at the Jolly Running event last year, which I hated.  I actually lapped him and then ran/walked about 3 laps with him, so felt quite bad when I had finished and he had another lap to go!

I went out this afternoon for a 7-miler, 6 of which was at kind of a tempo effort.  Hard work, but quite enjoyable to turn the legs over a bit quicker.  Shoulder was okay in that I haven't taken any pain killers today, although I did take some after yesterday's run and probably will before I go to bed tonight.  Although I'm not in shape for a decent time on Sunday, I do think I need a goal of sorts, so if I'm feeling okay and all is fine with the shoulder I think I'll go out at 9s and just see how I get on.  If I feel okay in the second half I can push on a bit, and if not just get around it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve- well you were knocking out some high mileage when you were ultra training.

Big G - good news that you'll be back taking part in a race on Sunday.  I have a feeling that you'll be busy with that credit card after you've completed Torbay.   Hope you can find some good races to do.

Robert - 500 is just a target really, but all I really want is to be able to run marathons while I still want to do them.  So if I get to 500 then I might carry on, it's a few years away yet.
    I know quite a few too that got to 100 and then gave up or only did an odd one now and then. Some got talked into going for the 100 and didn't really enjoy it especially the last few and it can be quite stressful.

Good news on the continued recovery of that foot.

Keith - yes I did do the very first Chester along the cycle path.  I'd forgotten about that one, I think I might have caught you up that day.

I saw Mick & Phil at I think it was Worcester, they were doing the half, had a chat to Mick.

Oh no, not another shoulder injury.  Does it affect your work?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Not good, Keith - three of us with bad shoulders now! Mine doesn't stop me doing much but it's a nuisance in bed since I like to lie on that side, and also affects my strength training. I have a restricted ROM on that side.

Anyway, just popping in... on my third day off now and achilles is still sore but I've been doing my exercises. I may have to skip my races this week (the club relay and the 10 miler) which is depressing - I hate missing stuff.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hope you don't have to miss both of your races, very frustrating.

I suppose your shoulder is affecting your sleep too and we're just coming to that time of year when the humidity is very high.

Very humid here this morning, 98 % according to weather website.  I'm not running this morning, off to circuits, hope we're in the studio with the good aircon.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, there is one the day after the Heller in Wales, but really I think that will be too much as I wouldn't get to Wales until late (Heller is an evening race).  Apart from that, the only doable one is another Running Miles one, but the Travelodge is expensive.  I'm toying with the idea of travelling up on the morning of the race on this occasion, but I'll decide for sure what I want to do after Torbay Half.

Cal, sorry to hear about your potentially missed races :(  

Just done a 3-miler at an easy pace, just to turn the legs over.  I've done a run 3 days in a row!!!

I was 12st11 this morning, which I'm really pleased with!  If it goes well at Torbay, in that I can get around it okay, and I can then start slowly building some mileage, at least I'm a reasonable weight so it'll be easier from that perspective.  According to the guidelines I've probably lost it a bit too quickly, but really I don't feel I've done anything that radical!  I haven't been particularly hungry (apart from the first couple of days), and I'm not low on energy, still had 3 meals and healthy snacks during the day etc.  Just one of those things I suppose.  I suppose one difference between this time I've had to lose weight and the previous times is that I'm not boozing currently.  I wonder if that's made it a bit easier this time around?  Don't know.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - That would be tiring, driving to Wales after the Heller, maybe not the best prep for your comeback marathon.

I did look at driving to a Dorney lake event on the day, think I'd only do it on a weekend race as traffic could be quite heavy if a midweek event.

It's not a great time of year for marathons if your preference is road.   I think Tenby is the weekend before Heller, a bit pricey, but you should put it on your 'to do' list as it's a lovely course on closed roads.

Well done on the weight loss, don't think you need to worry about losing it too fast, you probably put it on a lot faster and it's not like it would have challenged your glycogen stores as you've not been able to run much (yet) :)   It's always easier if you only put that weight on fairly recently, the body seems to adjust quickly to get you back to your previous weight.

Circuits was hard work today but good.   Needed my 2nd breakfast when I got home, managed without it last week but I was starving today.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Bad news on your shoulder,hope it doesn't worsen.
    Big G-Great news on your 3 day streak.
    Usual 6 mile loop after work,was really warm when I went so a nice run.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian, shoulder's been buggered for a long time. It mostly gets pissy after doing a lot of planking movements in pilates (I did mention to the teacher today that she did too many exercises in that position in a row and my shoulder wasn't liking it, so hopefully she'll break it up a bit more next week).
    Shades - I often have a second breakfast after parkrun. No shame in it. :)
    Big G, three in a row is good news!

I decided to try a stress test (I did exchange emails with my physio who gave me the go ahead) so this evening I did one mile easy and one mile at a faster pace (somewhere between 10K and HM). I could feel the achilles but it didn't scream at me after I stopped, unlike after parkrun on Saturday. So I will risk the relay tomorrow.
    I am rather concerned about the left foot I injured stumbling down the stairs when my neighbour woke me up. The toe that took the brunt of it it still rather red and sore to the touch so I hope it's not infected. I'll keep an eye on it and if it doesn't calm down I'll have to go to the docs. Don't want to end up losing a toe to infection! The outer part of that foot still feels like it might have been sprained. It's not swollen at all and no crepitus so I don't think I fractured anything but I can feel it from time to time. I'll have to keep an eye on that to. (I can run on it).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - 2nd breakfasts are most enjoyable.   

The result of your stress test is reassuring, good luck with the relay tonight.

That's a while since your neighbour woke you up, so the foot is taking time to heal.   
    Cal Jones said:
    Ian, shoulder's been buggered for a long time. It mostly gets pissy after doing a lot of planking movements in pilates (I did mention to the teacher today that she did too many exercises in that position in a row and my shoulder wasn't liking it, so hopefully she'll break it up a bit more next week).

Big G - having read Cal's post above, you were doing a plank challenge prior to your shoulder injury...just a thought.

6 miles today, cooler and much fresher, in fact I should have worn gloves as my hands were freezing.   Went through the nature reserve but luckily no waddling swans today.  Did see a beautiful deer though and later on had a very friendly encounter with a bull mastiff, they are big dogs!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It is nice this morning - cool breeze. I did another 3 miles, just easy pace. My left hip was more uncomfortable than the achilles which I'm putting down to the exercises I'm doing at the moment. I got a ball in there before I went out and it was very tight. I'll try to get it loostened up during the day.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    LT session this morning, 9 miles in total with 18 minutes (6:16 average) and 14 minutes (6:18 average) at LT pace. Last section was tough!!
  • Keith hope you got some answers at the docs

Big G well done on the continued weight loss, I wouldn't worry too much about how quickly the weight has come off as you've put a few lbs on easy so they're the easy ones to rid of.

Cal/ Shades, I also enjoy a 2nd breakfast after parkrun.  The 1st breakfast will only be light thou.

Steve well done on the LT session.

Shades currently doing my race list started in 2010, I've already gone past your 14 10k races (15)

8 comfortable miles today which takes me over 100 for the month (1st time this year)

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hi again...thanks for the welcome but I dare not 'pull up a chair'! As I said (3 or 4 pages ago!) this thread moves too fast for me. However, I thought I'd come back with a note on Poznan. In 2004 I was still working on the ferries, so used a Eurolines bus from Rotterdam to Poznan. Seemed like a good idea at the time but swollen ankles after the overnight bus ride needed some TLC until the run. 
    What I noticed in the Poznan results for 2004, was the low number of female runners; 114 (6%). It was 7% in 2007, and I see that it had risen to 20% last year.
    A recent RW item on the Cardiff Half says that, for the first time in its 16yr history, female runners are expected to make up the majority of participants.
    Another article (US) says that Boston marathon is getting close to 50/50. They say that marathons in USA are approx. 45% female, Canada 41%, UK 35%, Thailand 18% and Greece 10%.
    Quite a few Ultras get a mention on here; what is the M/F like in those events?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MrM2 - not sure of the M/F split generally for ultras, but at Dartmoor Discovery for 2018 here were the stats for the starting list, although not sure what they were this year as I didnt do the race.
    187 Men
     65 Ladies
     64 Male newcomers 
     32 Female newcomers
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - that's tough pacing for a pre breakfast session.

Robert - that's a significant mileage figure as part of your PF recovery, you must be feeling good about your future race plans.

It wouldn't take that much to exceed my 10k stats.  The only 10k race that I enjoy due to the lovely course, for years has clashed with marathons and naturally I would opt for the marathon.

MrM2 - the male/female ratio has changed a lot here in marathons too over the last few years.  I can remember doing Hereford marathon in about 1999 and out of a 100 runners only 4 were women, it was lovely as we had no queues for the loo and post race a shower each. 
    When you think it was only 1984 that women were able to run the marathon in the Olympics for the first time, so we've come a long way.
    In ultras like other distances the percentage of women has increased over the last few years.   When I started doing ultras there was a fairly strong female presence already.  In ultras the difference between finishing times for men and women is much closer and in long ultras it's not unheard of for a woman to be the outright winner.

In the ultra Dartmoor Discovery, that we've discussed a lot on here, it was a few years before they actually had a women's team finish the race and claim the team prize. I was fortunate to be in that team and we had our prize presented by Bruce Tulloh.  Now I think the % of women at DD is close to 33% and finally we now get women's cut t-shirts, I wish other races would follow suit.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Nice mileage,not quite at 100 yet despite DD but should be there sunday.
    Quick checking of my races shows 8x5k,3x5 mile,9x10k,18xHM,13x Full and 2x Ultra and a couple of random distances.
    Was going to add a bit of pace today,but busy in work and a warm afternoon meant I couldn't be bothered so did an easy 7 instead,1st long run since DD on sunday hopefully.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well I've done the relay. It was around the Thames - a 2.3 mile course starting at Westminster Bridge, running up to Vauxhall Bridge and over, down the other side, over Lambeth bridge and then back down to the start. Not too warm but rather windy. It's a funny distance to run and under other circumstances I'd have aimed for around 7:50 miles but with my dodgy achilles and foot and being only 3.5 weeks post Liverpool, I was happy to average just over 8 min/mi. Foot felt OK to run on but was sore before and after. It wasn't too bad after I initially hurt it so no idea why it feels worse now.
    The achilles wasn't terrible, at least - I could feel it but it wasn't screaming.
    Just chilling out now as I need to wind down before I head for bed.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal.  I've today put my name down for a local relay with my club - Erme Valley Relays, in a couple of weeks.  It's a good, local event and my club pays for us, which is brilliant too!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you're certainly racking up a few races, didn't you do a 10 miler at some time, or did I imagine that?
    You'll be fine for your long run on Sunday, your legs will have completely forgotten DD :)

Cal - well done for completing the relay at a speedy pace, hope the foot is OK this morning.

Big G - well you're back on the running circuit now :)   My club are looking for a final female runner to make up a mixed team at Erme Valley relays so I'm hiding until they find one, I'm too slow and not my sort of race.

Did you see the post I made yesterday about your plank challenge being a possible cause/aggravation of your shoulder injury following Cal's comment?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Well done,esp with the niggles.
    Shades-Yes I did 1 a few years ago,will have to do another sometime as it's a very soft pb now.
    Interesting looking that I've done more halves than 5 and 10k put together,shows where my focus has been.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - 10 miles is a nice distance to race, but there aren't that many of that distance around.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I saw that about the plank challenge. I suppose my issue could have started with that, as you say!  I’ve told the club captain not include me in any ‘fast’ teams as I’m not in shape at the moment.

OH had an appointment in Totnes this morning so I went with her and ran back to Paignton along a trail I’ve not done before (part of the John Musgrave Trail). 7 miles and 1000ft of elevation according to Strava. Really enjoyed it though. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - our Pilates instructor commented yesterday on the new women's world record

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/montreal-woman-plank-world-record-2019

she also said that it's an exercise that should never be held past the stage of reasonable comfort as it will damage the shoulders.   So as you were finding the plank challenge difficult it could easily have set off your shoulder injury.

You're loving your running now, great that you can run every day.   

Are you going to put yourself a rough plan together for a PB attempt at Berlin then?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, still not 100% sure about Berlin for a PB. I’m definitely struggling comparatively with my fitness so I suppose it’ll depend how quickly a good level of fitness comes back. Berlin’s about 3 months away so in theory there’s time if I get no more set backs. I think if I get through Torbay Half ok in terms of the shoulder holding up that will give me something to work on and try and build up the mileage to about 50-60 again if I can. If I do get around Torbay Half, with a parkrun planned for tomorrow, it’ll be a bit under 40 miles this week which is obviously a vast improvement on recent weeks.

The shoulder is still not 100% but I haven’t taken any pain killers at all for a couple of days. I’m still doing the exercises as if I hold the arm in a certain position there is still a bad stabbing pain.

So basically a rough plan is to get through Torbay Half and then slowly build the mileage, and see how quickly the fitness returns. 

It could well be the plank challenge was what started this shoulder injury off then :(
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - there's a lady in my Yogalates class and she had a similar injury to yours and still has some discomfort a year later just now and then.   Doesn't stop her doing stuff but it's still healing very slowly, so you might expect to feel the shoulder occasionally.

40 miles a week is a big jump so as long as you feel OK, then plenty training time if you want to focus on Berlin.   But it must feel good just to be out there again and able to run.
  • MrM2 Centurion running have 40-45% females for their ultras.  They haven't seen any outright female winners yet, they are only 50 or 100 mile races so speed is enough to win rather than pacing it well. 

Ian, not surprised you've not got 100 miles after DD, would have taken a bit out of you! Our club has a 10 mile race and we always have a couple in our championship.  I think my 10 miler is my softest pb as only ran it at Ware 10 which is undulating.

Cal club relay sounds fun, not sure if we have anything like that at WJ. 

Shades, our club have a nice 10 miler and we somehow get a couple in our club champs, but you do have to search harder for them.  Pleased with running, gives me confidence I can make a dent in the 32 miles in a few weeks and the 8 hour cut off means I should finish somehow!

My race list is at 64 races 2xmile, 4x5km, 1x5m, 15x10km, 4x10m, 13xhm, + 3 random, 11 road maras, 6 trail maras and 5 ultras.

Club Champs fixtures are out, I've decided to miss it this year, the races that interest me are too soon for my recovery.  Most of the 2020 races involve 30-70 mile trips and don't interest me with my ultra plans and training.

• OnTheBeachOnTheBeach ✭✭✭
    Last night I completed my final run from Shades 18 week training plan (Slightly modified by myself to accommodate weekend back to back runs).

Two weeks taper has gone rather well, niggles have cleared up and the foot feels better. Last nights run felt very labored, but I am putting that down to the strong winds and the carb loading.

So tomorrow I kick off for Day 1. 8:45am start approx 23 miles across South Downs Way. 
    Back home to recover and refuel
    Day 2 6am kick off from Saturdays finish line with nearly 30 miles to cover.....??!! 
    In total its planned to be 52.4 miles with 5,284ft elevation.

Weather looks warm and sunny with Easterly winds which is perfect as I am running East to West.

My plan is to take tomorrow steady, I know I can do the 23 miles and I am familiar with this section of the course. I just need to avoid the temptation to race too hard.
    Day two is completely unknown, i've not run that section of the course and I have never ventured past 26.2 miles, it's also the day with the most elevation. So Sunday, just get to the finish and conclude this training block.

I am absolutely buzzing for this, regardless of what happens this weekend, i'll be chuffed to bits just getting through this training block. It's been my best year to date and I have had some really great training runs. Currently feeling the fittest I either have been and the most prepared for an event.

Thanks everyone for you advise and guidance. 

Will let you know how it goes  :)

• Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

OTB - well done on the training, the training is what makes the races become more achievable and enjoyable.  Good luck and look forward to hearing how it goes. 

Just had a look at the course route, I start near your start but run eastwards for my 50 miler in April next year.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - quite a few races on your list too and not far off quarter of the way to 100 marathons/ultras.

Trotters used to organise a 10 mile race here, but when they took over the DD they had to drop one race, they do 6 races a year which is a lot of work.  I don't think there's another 10 miler closer than a 2 hour drive each way from here now.  When I used to do the Grand Prix at the IOM there was a 10 miler in the race series but that race has gone now too.  It was a good flat fast course, twice around the southern circuit of one of the TT routes. 

OTB - good luck for your 2 races over the weekend, quite a tough way to tackle your first ultra.  Good news your foot is a lot better and your taper has gone well too.

You definitely have a good strong mental attitude and that's crucial in ultra running.
    Enjoy every minute of the weekend and looking forward to your race report. 

Good luck to Jelly too at Giants Head marathon tomorrow.