Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian - I think I've also ran more half's than 10k's!!
    Cal - Well done on the relay.
    I think my 10 mile PB is also my softest, I think I've ran 10 miles in a few half's at a faster pace :D
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, there is the Granite Way 10 miler near Okehampton, with a 20 mile option available on the same day. I did the 20 miler there a few years ago and it’s my one one and only 20 miler. I did it in 2:35 and was really confident of getting a reasonable time at that year’s Brussels Marathon as I’d done a Half PB too, but then got a chest infection before Brussels!
  • OnTheBeachOnTheBeach ✭✭✭

Just had a look at the course route, I start near your start but run eastwards for my 50 miler in April next year.

Thanks Rob, depending how this goes I may join you. I've had my eye on that event.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I forgot about the Granite Way one.  Unfortunately this year it clashed with Tavy 13.  Hope it's on separate weekends next year, but I would run the 20 anyway.   Not usually in my nature to opt for the shorter distance.  :)

I've done a few 20 miles, not that many though.  Nice race distance and very good marathon training.

OTB - love the way you're planning on your next/longer ultra before running your first.  :D
  • OnTheBeachOnTheBeach ✭✭✭
    Ha Ha... Oh yeah! :#
  • Steve I've also gone faster 3 times on my half at 10 mile point.

OTB next year's race in April has already sold out in record time! But highly recommend NDW50 in May it's tougher by most accounts as the hills are monsters rather than rolling but easier to break down into sections, entries on sale in August

Shades my original plan was DD to be the 25th!

Shades/Big G I don't think I can be trusted to do a 20 mile race too close to a marathon as I'll probably push it too hard!

3.5 miles at lunch, just felt the need to stretch the legs

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Best of luck OTB. Looking forward to the report for the weekend. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - 20 mile races can be really useful for marathon prep.   When I had my running club if I was coaching any nervous first time marathon runners I would take them to a 20 mile race as they would finish still full of running and know that the marathon was within their capabilities.  If you run a 20 mile race you realise that the tough part of the marathon is the last 10k.  Some run them at training pace or 50/50 with race pace, some race them, and some run them at their planned marathon pace and that's a true rehearsal of race pace/fuelling/hydration.   If marathon training has gone well recovery is swift.

6 miles today. lovely morning but very cold, only 5/6 degrees when I went out, fortunately I was prepared in winter kit including gloves, but I could have done with full gloves not fingerless.   Had a really enjoyable run though.
  • Shades - I was going to say doesn't really bother me at work but having cycled to and from Sellafield to renew my access pass yesterday my shoulder bloody hurts this morning which is amusing as i have been cycling the mile to and from work for the last few weeks. Still cant really replciate a obvious position to cause pain but thats what doctors are for. I will say mine is most def NOT caused by and planking
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - well hope the doc sorts you out.   I think we should all stay away from any plank challenges.

How's the knee now?
  • THe knee seems relatively fine, i cna feel it now and then but there wasn't anything to noticeable whilst cycling yesterday. Maybe go for a run later to see whats what, once the shoulder aches less anyway
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OTB-Good luck for the weekend.
    Shades/Rob-Never done a 20 mile but I mean to do one,not too many around though.
    Thought I'd go along to parkrun today as I'm working late,not raced home for about 18 months,felt ok and got into a good race the last half mile with 2 others,overtook them both then 1 caught me again,but I had a bit more to pip him on the line,whoever says its not a race didn't see us 3 fighting for the place
    Finished in 19:09,so a 33 sec pb,and 8th which is my highest finish.
    Only on par with my 10k pace but it's not the easiest parkrun so usually only hit 10k pace.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - well the knee doesn't seem to serious, hope it's OK when you run.

Ian - that's a great PB over a 5km and a top 10 placing too.  Sub 19 on a faster course is yours for the taking. :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Went and did Haldon Forest parkrun, which is a new one for me. Today was its 17th running of the event, and it happened to be my 18th parkrun location. It usually gets around 100 runners so quite a nice one.

I know this area fairly well as there’s a favourite, local race of mine ran around here. The parkrun was essentially two laps, with the 2nd lap being slightly longer, and each lap had one steep hill in it, which I walked both times. It’s a really nice route with great views, although those hills are lung busters even when walking!  Still, I enjoyed it, finishing in 20th place in around 25mins. I most likely wont go back too often as parking is expensive, but OH came with me and walked the dog as well so it was nice way to start the morning.

I had a ‘second breakfast’ at the finish, which was pancakes, bacon and maple syrup. Very nice too. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Getting better all the time,hows the shoulder?
    Shades-Happy with the time,its weird but I can never get a fast time at parkrun,I went through 5k last weekend 30secs quicker than today.The courses weren't too much different,maybe it's because it's not a genuine race I cant get up for it as much.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I’m the same when trying to get a decent time at parkrun. In fact, my parkrun PB is a slightly annoying time of 20:01!  At your speed it was good you had a couple of runners with you. At my local one, I’d more than likely be on my own at 20min pace. Shoulder is okay in that I’m not taking any painkillers now, but it’s still not 100% as it’s painful if I hold the arm in a certain way.

I think tomorrow I’m going to start towards the back to stop me going off too quickly and try and settle into a comfy pace early on. I’ll just see what I feel like as the race progresses. I started at the back one year as I was coming back from an injury and it was a good experience, finishing feeling strong.  That’s the aim tomorrow, but we’ll see how it goes!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done Big G. I did a parkrun too - Richmond, because a few people from my club were doing it. One was in my carriage on the train so we had a nice chat on the way there, but after that she wanted to jog from the station and she's a sub-20 girl so I kept pace with her for a bit then decided to let her go as her jogging speed was not mine!
    Although I've not done Richmond parkrun before, I'm familiar with the route because the Runthrough Richmond Park half marathon goes around it four times. I decided I'd just try to stick to 8:30ish miles and managed that for two miles but then the heat got to me and the last mile was all climb (not a hill, but it sloped up all the way) so I did that one around 9:30. I made my time 27:35 but since I didn't hear them start (lot of people at Richmond - it's one lap so it spreads out but the start is slow) I knew they'd add time. Turns out they added quite a bit so I got 27:52. I guess there was a funnel ducker or two because I expected 5 or 6 seconds, not nearly 20!
    Foot didn't feel bad when I was running but I did feel my achilles. Then when I stopped, achilles eased but foot was hurting. I decided there and then that I would skip the Harry Hawkes 10 mile tomorrow. If the weather was cooler I might have risked it, but I'm not going to thrash my injuries when there's no chance of a PB. I always seem to struggle once the temps hit the high teens or more, and I know I wouldn't enjoy it. I've done the race three times so it's not like I'm missing out on something new and exciting.
    I think I may end up going to the doc with my foot. I'm starting to worry that I might have fractured the metatarsal. Since there was no swelling and it wasn't to bad initially (most of the pain was from the toe I cut) I didn't think I'd hurt it that badly, but it has definitely got worse and the bone is a little tender.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it's a pity the parking is so expensive at Haldon, I suppose it's NT there?
    Breakfast sounds divine.  :)

Hope today goes well for your comeback race, enjoy it.

Ian - it's probably better that you save your faster times for the races rather than the parkruns,  ;)

Cal - sorry to hear you're DNS'ing your race today.  Funny how the foot is flaring up now but you'll want to get it sorted so it heals quickly.

Just having some porridge then out for my run.  Sunday is the only day I eat before my run as I usually go a bit further.  Not sure how far today but am going to try out my new drinks bottle belt, have had it a couple of months but haven't done a long run for months as been racing instead.  Think I'll find a nice hilly route today, my flat route area has a cycle event on today so want to avoid that area.

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hi guys, Good Luck Big G today and anyone else racing. I did Giants Head in 06:42:27  I ran with a couple of my running buddies and said we would stay together, we started DD together but they both missed cut offs one at 20 Miles other at marathon point.  WSR like tough to design a toughy and often it’s very rough under food through field, it was the roughest I’ve done. My two friends had some really tough times and there was lots of walk breaks some forced by the terrain. I really enjoyed the day and felt I had more in me which after the year I’ve had is a boost. One of the trotters (SM) got a course PB of over an hour she came storming past us at the 20 mile mark. It was very hot, but we did get an occasional bit of breeze. We camped both nights and first night didn’t get much sleep as it was freezing. I had track bottom on and hoody but still was so cold. Better night last night. My only issue was trapped wind on run and I had this on DD and Cornish.  Next one I’m going to try and have less food day before. It didn’t spoil the day but I could feel it.  We have a busy morning packing up camp and traveling home. Not moved yet but legs feel good. I’m leading the social away run tomorrow and looking forward to that. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Jelly, sounds like you had a great time at Giants Head, except for the cold night. I saw that SM had a big PB, she's having a good year.

Trapped wind is quite common, there are some OTC tablets that might help.  I think it can be caused by swallowing air when running and/or drinking during the race.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Jelly. That one always sounds like a tough event!

Shades, the woodland there is ran by Forestry England.  That was a new name to me and in fact I hadn’t realised but in April this year there was a change in how the country’s forests are managed with different areas under Forestry Commission managing different things to do with the forests.  It’s £4 parking for 2hrs, but if you go there regularly you can get a yearly pass. The race I sometimes do there (Forest Flyer), although very affordable at £9 affiliated, has included parking the last couple of years.

Cal, sorry to hear about your foot and missing the race. Sounds a sensible decision to miss it though, and let’s hope it’s nothing too serious when you see the Doc. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a new name to me too.   £4 for 2 hours seems expensive, it's not like you are doing high street shopping there.  Good deal with the Forest Flyer though.

14 miles for me today, 1393 feet of climb, which included more than 5 miles of flat so the hilly bits were hilly.  Nice run, new bottle belt is fine, it moves a little bit but is comfortable and the contents of the bottle stayed cool.  Thought I'd seen a big dog a few days ago with the bull mastiff but today I passed a man with a huge black dog, we had a quick chat and the dog is a Giant Schnauzer, never seen one before but he was huge and very handsome.   Weather was good, cool at about 15 degrees, one light shower of rain.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I did Torbay Half today and the shoulder was mainly okay. It was a bit tender from about 10 miles on but it didn’t really bother me too much.

Plan had been to go off quite steady, which I did, and finish strong, which I also did. At the start I’d have been very disappointed with anything over 2hrs, so a watch time of 1:50:01 is ok in that context. Mixed feelings though as I was struggling quite a lot on the hills so I think it’s representative of where I am at the moment, so quite a long way off where I’d like to be.   But, since Rotterdam on 7th April that’s by far the longest run I’ve done so all things considered I’m happy to be back.  It gives me something to work on anyway, and I’ll just try and build up the steady miles and see where it takes me over the next few weeks. 

Hopefully the shoulder is fine tomorrow. I haven’t taken any meds for a few days now, so all being well I’ll get out for a recovery run tomorrow AM. I need to get back into some kind of routine with my running now, I think. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Good idea to go the docs,doesn't seem to be improving.
    Shades-Little bit of elevation there.
    Big G-Great news on completing the half,and still a decent time considering your lack of miles,hopefully if no after effects tomorrow you can kick on.
    Wanted to do a long run today but wasn't feeling good,ankle/achilles was feeling pretty weak and sore at times so called it quits after just over 11 miles,luckily I take a bank card now so getting a train home.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a great result considering it's been so long since Rotterdam, and a lot of that time you've been in too much pain to do anything.   Your speed will soon come back.  Hope there are no post race twinges in the shoulder.

I guess that credit card might get a bit of exercise fairly soon ;)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian  - xpost.  Sorry to hear the ankle/achilles was sore.   Lucky you're not down here, never saw a train or a bus anywhere near my run today ;) even though I ran near the railway line a few times.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Official time seems so much better somehow - 1:49:58 ;)

Shades, in terms of training paces should I use that time to work out the laces over the next couple of weeks?  As I say, I think it’s accurate of where I’m at currently so probably should be around 10s for long run pace for now?

Ian, sorry to hear about your ankle. Sometimes it’s best to stop if you know you’re not right. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-My normal long run route doesn't go anywhere near a train line but decided to run along the front today as the weather was so nice.
    There was a big charity coastal walk today which kept making me change direction,and jump onto a higher path at times as some areas it was full of people so may not have helped,will have another go on Tuesday.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    The pass for years parking is just under £40, I go up a couple times a week with the dog so I’ve got money back already. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've just run that through the calculator and easy pace 9:45 to 10:15 and long run pace 9:45 to 10:45.

I think you'll find that quite comfortable and as long as your shoulder is OK just ramp up the mileage.

Ian - just as well you had an option to cut your run short and get home OK.
    That switching of path probably aggravated your ankle.

Jelly - can you use that pass at their other sites too?